Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

All the signs point to the sox having a plan to rent out lester and then resign him in the offseason. Tom caron said this on twitter: Tom Caron ‏@TomCaron 3h
    Source w/ #RedSox told me team wanted to deal Lester to "team we didn't think could re-sign him." Said Sox will make offer this off-season. So add that to the fact that lester himself has said that he would like to return to the sox even if he is traded. Just look at his tweet someone posted above, he says “excited to contribute to a very talented a’s team”. Notice he doesn’t say anything that alludes to him being there beyond this season. My guess is that the sox and lester talked midseason and at that point we were already pretty far out of it so they probably asked him if he would be ok with getting dealt in order to help the team pick up some asset(s) so that they could be a contender in 2015. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Ces is another Wily Mo Pena at worst (remember him?), or Tony Armas at best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Hey if it's 1984 Tony Armas I'll take it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

All the signs point to the sox having a plan to rent out lester and then resign him in the offseason. Tom caron said this on twitter: Tom Caron ‏@TomCaron 3h
    Source w/ #RedSox told me team wanted to deal Lester to "team we didn't think could re-sign him." Said Sox will make offer this off-season. So add that to the fact that lester himself has said that he would like to return to the sox even if he is traded. Just look at his tweet someone posted above, he says “excited to contribute to a very talented a’s team”. Notice he doesn’t say anything that alludes to him being there beyond this season. My guess is that the sox and lester talked midseason and at that point we were already pretty far out of it so they probably asked him if he would be ok with getting dealt in order to help the team pick up some asset(s) so that they could be a contender in 2015. 

Remember this twitter when Lester signs with the Yankees next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tony Armas was a terrific Red Sox....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

43 HR, 123, led the AL in '84....36 HR, 107 in 83...then hampered by injuries...Cespedes gives Sox that, then I'll take it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Ces and Craig are two interesting players who could go either way but I like the deals/prospects especially if the Sox dish out the cash for Lester who is a true class act.  Ces has a terrific arm and may be a better hitter than people think after Papi gets his hands on him.  Ces also plays a pretty good CF which is his best position which is quite interesting.  Craig has a very solid glove, can handle a few positions and has shown he can hit. 

This could turn out to be a nice haul if we can bring Lester back.  We have enough prospects/established players now to pull off just about any trade and still keep a decent farm.  This team should be very interesting to watch by next spring.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is that the sox and lester talked midseason and at that point we were already pretty far out of it so they probably asked him if he would be ok with getting dealt in order to help the team pick up some asset(s) so that they could be a contender in 2015.

You're missing one big part of this trade. Lester gains a lot now, because there will be no lost draft pick to the team that signs him, since he was traded mid season. 

More teams may be in the bidding, and most teams attach a value to the draft pick and subtract that value from their offer.

Lester made out more than we did.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Comping Cespedes with Willy Mo basically says you have never watched Cespedes play.  That he is a free swinger is literally the only thing they have in common.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Comping Cespedes with Willy Mo basically says you have never watched Cespedes play.  That he is a free swinger is literally the only thing they have in common.

Bingo spaceman, fans need to let Papi have time with Ces before ever doubting this guys overall value to our club moving forward.  Mo "No" Pena not only couldn't catch a ball his arm was as bad as his bat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Remember this twitter when Lester signs with the Yankees next year.

I fully agree, pin stripes all over him...btw, who is his agent?...Boras?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

After seeing what passed at the trading deadline, I might have been too hard on Ben for the Lester and Lackey trades. I preferred getting blue chip prospects over players.

But, it appears clear that the buyers at the deadline were extremely reluctant to part with their minor league blue chippers. I guess that the days of the Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson deals are all but over.

I'm sure that Ben made the best deals he could. After all, this is the same guy who saved the franchise by convincing the Dodgers to take on the bloated contracts of A-Gon, Carl Crawford, and John Beckett...and piecing the remnants of that team into a championship club.

Let's see how Ben tries to retool the team in the offseason. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts