Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to Duffie33's comment:

This is good?  Another .250 hitter?  With some power?  and no pitching.   

Our rotation next year - assuming Lackey is next 

1. Buchholtz

2. De La Rosa

3. Webster

4. guy from sec 104 row 14 seat 7

5. guy sitting next to him 

Oakland is a hard place for a right handed hitter to hit power over there!!  Better off to come to fenway park, and he ll hit over 30 homeruns a year!!

We might need him to hit 30 HRs a game for as many runs as we are going to give up 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Rubby, Webster, Lackey and Cespedes for Stanton

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Cespedes is good but our starting pitchingis at present a train wreck

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

In response to Duffie33's comment:

This is good?  Another .250 hitter?  With some power?  and no pitching.   

Our rotation next year - assuming Lackey is next 

1. Buchholtz

2. De La Rosa

3. Webster

4. guy from sec 104 row 14 seat 7

5. guy sitting next to him 

Which side?  The guy in seat 8 is a beast -- but if the chick in 6, we're gonna need to make another trade...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cespedes is good.....but he's not great.  Perhaps Fenway makes him better. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This trade was done early in the day.  Cespedes, WMB, and Cash for Stanton - I smell a flip here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

This trade was done early in the day.  Cespedes, WMB, and Cash for Stanton - I smell a flip here

No way, in any Universe Florida makes that trade....completely senseless 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Cespedes OBP is tres tres bad.  I like his bat and he should dent the monster.  Lester has a good chance at returning.  Im holding out hope he comes back.  If Lackey is dealt i think the chances are slim that Lester returns.  Pitching wins....we need both back next year.  

Its a decent trade.  I give it a C+.  If Lester returns it gets an A.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

Geez, I can see the fits people will throw already, when Nava plays and Cepedes sits....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No way, in any Universe Florida makes that trade....completely senseless 

or maybe cespedes and lackey along with someone for stanton

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I'd give this trade a C+

Geez, I can see the fits people will throw already, when Nava plays and Cepedes sits....

I'd rather have Cespedes than some AA "prospect"....this guy will do well in Fenway and if nothing else will provide some power. Also I never believed the Lester will come back scenario but this trade does give me a glimmer of hope

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Did Cherington roofie the FO down in Miami?  That would be straight up robbery.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

This is great because we know Oakland has no chance in resigning him and we get a power hitting outfielder in return.

yes.  that is shocking move by Beane

Very un Beane like.  I think he knows this could backfire on him but he wants to go for it. 

The A's could care less about future. They know this is there chance to win a WS. Now. Great move by A's. They can't and won't ever re-sign a guy who will command any serious dollars. Beane is a genius.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hey Andrew.  It would have to be +++ for Stanton to come here.  Possibly Lackey and another couple prospects.  Cespedes WMB Lackey and a few prospects.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I'd give this trade a C+

Yes, because god forbid a guy who hits HRs play over Dan the great one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cespedes can become a FA after 2015. I need to think about this deal a little longer, but my initial reaction is that we could have done better by getting a player or players under team control for more years. Maybe the hope is we have a good chance to extend him.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Is it a good deal? Probably not. Will they get Lester back in the offseason? Probably not. Is Cespedes a HR hitter with some potential? Yes. Is he and a draft pick worth Lester? Of course not. But his HR potential may grow playing at Fenway. Bottom line you never trade an ace for a hitter. But the Sox put themselves into a situation where their offense sucks so bad and their Minor Leagues are so empty of power, they make the move. I'm sure everyone will pat Ben C. on the back thinking it will open a return for Lester to Boston, but you can be the Yanks will throw 150 million at him. I will miss Mr. Lester.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Cespedes can become a FA after 2015. I need to think about this deal a little longer, but my initial reaction is that we could have done better by getting a player or players under team control for more years. Maybe the hope is we have a good chance to extend him.

Sox4ever

Its sexy when you first read it.  But when you digest it, well i think id rather have the big end prospects.   We have another Jason Bay scenario.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

seriously" Control? How many Sox outfielders (or anyone for that matter) have 17 home runs? He makes less than Drew does a year and Lester was going no matter what...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

Sox are also getting a competitive balance pick. 

Which is equivalent to a supplemental first round pick. 

I think the pick is actually effectively a supplemental 2nd -- Oakland's was #2 in the B pool, which comes after round 2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Cespedes will give us a 5/6 hole production of 25/30 Hr , 260/280 avg, 80/90 RBI for the next 3 yrs. in 140 games, not too bad. And he's got a cannon of an arm. He's a lot better than Gomes in EVERY way and is only 28. Under control for 3 prime years so there is some upside here. I love the move. Left field is set as is the 5/6 spot in the lineup for the next 3 yrs. now let's see how we can spend 80 mil in the off season to up grade the rest of the team.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Mike Napoli redux

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

There's no way Oakland will resign him. Hopefully he comes back to Boston in offseason. Great move by cherington

Oakland was NEVER going to be the team that signs him. Its going to be one of the big budget teams, and I do not think Lucchino and Henry are smart enough to realize how important Lester is to anchor the rotation as the younger pitchers develop. Cespedes has an OPS of just .767, though his OPS+ is better at 114. Those numbers are similar to what Ellsbury is doing: .752/110. Unless we sign Lester or someone of similar talent we still will stink next year-again.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, I almost think they felt they had no choice but to deal him. They know they aren't going to re-sign him. and they finally figured out no one was going to give them a real player with a better deal. Ironically, Kemp is hot. 

Sections
Shortcuts