Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

Do people realize the bust rates on prospects?  We traded a few months of Lester for an actual major league player with some upside and who we have under control for another season.  I'd take Cespedes over a prospect every day of the week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Now go get Hamels, Ben.

Defense.  It is still important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it a good deal? Probably not. Will they get Lester back in the offseason? Probably not. Is Cespedes a HR hitter with some potential? Yes. Is he and a draft pick worth Lester? Of course not. But his HR potential may grow playing at Fenway. Bottom line you never trade an ace for a hitter. But the Sox put themselves into a situation where their offense sucks so bad and their Minor Leagues are so empty of power, they make the move. I'm sure everyone will pat Ben C. on the back thinking it will open a return for Lester to Boston, but you can be the Yanks will throw 150 million at him. I will miss Mr. Lester.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yanks throw $150MM at him for 5 or 6 years, I'll be content to watch him sign, and age on their dime.  (See "Sabathia, C.C.")  I miss Ells, but would rather see NY pay him for declining production than us pay the same or more.  Likewise w/ Lester, if it comes to pass that way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cespedes can become a FA after 2015. I need to think about this deal a little longer, but my initial reaction is that we could have done better by getting a player or players under team control for more years. Maybe the hope is we have a good chance to extend him.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Its sexy when you first read it.  But when you digest it, well i think id rather have the big end prospects.   We have another Jason Bay scenario.  

[/QUOTE]

The low OBP is a bummer, too.

The more I think about, the more I wish we got a high end prospect to stockpile for a blockbuster this winter. Even if we extend this guy at a decent price, I think we could have done better.

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Napoli redux

[/QUOTE]

Napoli can reach base, so no, but Cespedes is a better power hitter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, but I don't buy all the pessimism.  This guy is 28 and a solid leftfielder with some power and instantly our best overall outfielder, hitting and fielding.   Lester was gone once the talks stopped, and whoever gets him--Oakland--is basically getting a very short term rental.  Do I wish the Sox had offered more last offseason?  But I'm not sure Lester was ever going to settle for less than his full market value, which is probably $160-180M. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do people realize the bust rates on prospects?  We traded a few months of Lester for an actual major league player with some upside and who we have under control for another season.  I'd take Cespedes over a prospect every day of the week.

[/QUOTE]

Next yr PLUS 2 arb years I believe. So 3 years...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cespedes can become a FA after 2015. I need to think about this deal a little longer, but my initial reaction is that we could have done better by getting a player or players under team control for more years. Maybe the hope is we have a good chance to extend him.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Its sexy when you first read it.  But when you digest it, well i think id rather have the big end prospects.   We have another Jason Bay scenario.  

[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head, if Lester re-signs, this is good, it's a re-tool. If he doesn't this trade is horrible, they'll need a rebuild

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to GumboSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Is it a good deal? Probably not. Will they get Lester back in the offseason? Probably not. Is Cespedes a HR hitter with some potential? Yes. Is he and a draft pick worth Lester? Of course not. But his HR potential may grow playing at Fenway. Bottom line you never trade an ace for a hitter. But the Sox put themselves into a situation where their offense sucks so bad and their Minor Leagues are so empty of power, they make the move. I'm sure everyone will pat Ben C. on the back thinking it will open a return for Lester to Boston, but you can be the Yanks will throw 150 million at him. I will miss Mr. Lester.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yanks throw $150MM at him for 5 or 6 years, I'll be content to watch him sign, and age on their dime.  (See "Sabathia, C.C.")  I miss Ells, but would rather see NY pay him for declining production than us pay the same or more.  Likewise w/ Lester, if it comes to pass that way.

[/QUOTE]

You can make that statement and if Lester is what I think he is...you will watch him be a quality ace for another 5-8 years easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

No.  His contract allows him to skip arbitration.  He is FA after 2015.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.  His contract allows him to skip arbitration.  He is FA after 2015.

[/QUOTE]

Bummer.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier now

Trying to confirm, but hearing Lester and Gomes might be moving for Cespedes

!!!

[/QUOTE]

that is a good deal!!!  then lester could come back to Boston during the offseason!!

[/QUOTE]

You still believe in the EASTER BUNNY?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I were a Pirates fan i would be upset if I found out my team did not offer the Sox their best hitting prospect for Lester... I really thought that was the spot for a deal.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I really believed they were going to bite the bullet and make the big move.  Really surprised they didn't.  They might be a Lackey contender still: one the one hand, the fact that he's cheap for next year may be really attractive to their small-market sensibility.  On the flip side, if they don't believe he's the difference between winning the division and getting a wild card (i.e. one-game lottery ticket), "cheap" may not be compelling enough for them to do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The low OBP is a bummer, too.

The more I think about, the more I wish we got a high end prospect to stockpile for a blockbuster this winter. Even if we extend this guy at a decent price, I think we could have done better.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Im with you...if Lester comes back its a good thing.  I was looking fwd to a stud prospect or 2.   A OF of Cespedes, JBJ and Stanton would look great if Lester is the ace of the staff.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

Three great arms in the OF now with a healthy Victorino

I'm not so sure that guy is ever coming back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now go get Hamels, Ben.

Defense.  It is still important.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the kind of pitcher its going to take to make our SR competitive next year. As it stands right now, its pathetic.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a thought...

This has to really suck for Cespedes.  He moves from the contending A's who have a real chance at a WS Championship... to ... Boston.. who may play .400 ball the rest of the way.  Ugh.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but isn't Boston supposed to be the best place a ball player can play? Seems like I've heard that yarn a time or two. Anyways, great pick-up for the SOX. Plus losing Gomes makes the team better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What's funny is that Cespedes is actually a perfect Sox fit, but again not if it meant dealing away your best pitcher. You can't deal pitching for hitting, it's a loser almost every time. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

What's funny is that Cespedes is actually a perfect Sox fit, but again not if it meant dealing away your best pitcher. You can't deal pitching for hitting, it's a loser almost every time. 

The only thing that was dealt was the best pitcher for a few months in a lost season.  Nothing precludes Lester from returning and if he doesn't you can assume he would have left even if played out the remainder of the season in a Sox uniform.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Cespedes will give us a 5/6 hole production of 25/30 Hr , 260/280 avg, 80/90 RBI for the next 3 yrs. in 140 games, not too bad. And he's got a cannon of an arm. He's a lot better than Gomes in EVERY way and is only 28. Under control for 3 prime years so there is some upside here. I love the move. Left field is set as is the 5/6 spot in the lineup for the next 3 yrs. now let's see how we can spend 80 mil in the off season to up grade the rest of the team.....

[/QUOTE]

He's definitely going to bat right behind Ortiz. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

[/QUOTE]

You are comparing Gomes to Cespedes? Please.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will happen, but if the SOX want to they can outbid everyone else during the off season, when Lester puts himself on the auction block. Starting bid will be 100 million. Do I hear 150 million? Going once. going twice, sold to the __________ (fill in the blank.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only concern with this trade is this.  Cespedes doesn't hit RHP very well at all, although he does hit RHP a tad bit better than Gomes, but he doesn't hit LHP as well as Gomes.

Honestly we would still be a better team at the end of the day if he platooned with Nava, who hits RHP better.  Cespedes is just under contract for one more year than Gomes.

We effectively traded Lester for a Gomes with a bit more speed, slightly better platoon splits, and a competitive lottery balance pick.  

I'd give this trade a C+

[/QUOTE]

You are comparing Gomes to Cespedes? Please.

[/QUOTE]

Hugh for some insane reason thinks the Gomes/Nava platoon is very productive and superior to players like Kemp or Cespedes....Gomes' fielding itself is a reason NOT to play him except as DH

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will happen, but if the SOX want to they can outbid everyone else during the off season, when Lester puts himself on the auction block. Starting bid will be 100 million. Do I hear 150 million? Going once. going twice, sold to the __________ (fill in the blank.)

[/QUOTE]

Yankees,   We will bring back Masterson.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to GumboSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can make that statement and if Lester is what I think he is...you will watch him be a quality ace for another 5-8 years easily.

[/QUOTE]

That absolutely could be the case.  I look at it from a risk/probability standpoint.  The risk is that you're right, he stays a horse for a long time (a la Mussina, Pettite, Wells, etc.) and that we not only lose that production for us, but we have to face it in the division against us.  But the probability is (I obviously don't know this, but I suspect it) that over the next 5-7 years, he regresses to the mean -- not just for power pitches of his age, but to his career norms, which while good, are not in line with what he's showing this year. 

Same thing w/ Ells -- it's hard to watch him play well and see the Yankees reaping the benefits, but you (general "you") had to know that there were going to be couple of years (early on) when you were going to have to swallow hard and say "we did the right thing."  (If one believes, as I do, that it was right not to sink the dollars and term that it would have taken to keep him.)

Sections
Shortcuts