Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox are also getting a competitive balance pick. 

Which is equivalent to a supplemental first round pick. 

[/QUOTE]

You can also Trade that, if you want.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is now our new Jonny Gomes compares to our old Jonny Gomes:

Cespedes is at .275/.844 vs LHP, Gomes: .279/.875

Cespedes vs RHP: .257/.765, Gomes: .222/.722

At Fenway Gomes is hitting .242/.744, Cespedes: .250/.683

These numbers look very similar except that Cespedes hits RHP a bit better and Gomes hits LHP a bit better. Looks to me like we traded Gomes and Lester for a new younger Gomes. Wonderful.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Yes, except over the last several years Nava has batted against RHP the majority of the time in Left.

Nava is a .291/.387/.428 hitter VS. RHP.

A properly used Nava/Gomes platoon, equates to a better hitter than Cespeds.

Cespedes does offer a defensive upgrade and more speed however, and more pop.  So it's not all negative. But he will hit less, walk less, and get on base much less than a Nava/Gomes platoon. 

Perhaps the combined effects of all those points still makes Cespedes slightly better.......but remember we just traded Lester for him.  Did we really want to get "marginally better" (and only arguably at best) for trading away our ACE????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I keep asking all the knowledgable fans.. Sox made an offer of x and were told no by Lester or hid agent.  What was their request to the Sox..  Without that all the low balling comments are simply wrong.   Lester. Will be 31 and too long a deal is bad business.  ( I know the exceptions to that rule)

People moan about salaries, cost of parking, tickets etc except when it's their team.

i think 4 yrs@25 is the most to offer ..  Push comes to shove 5 yrs@ 22.

i think any more than that is bad business.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Beane smart, going for it. Pitching wins Championships.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The way I see this is we got something for nothing.

Scenario A: Lester stays with the Sox until the end of the season. The Sox offer a QO, Lester either re-signs with a small hometown discount, or he doesn't and we get a draft pick.

Scenario B: Lester traded to the A's. The Sox ger Cespedes and a draft pick. Lester goes to FA because the A's won't sign him. He either re-signs with the Sox with a small hometown discount, or he doesn't. We still get the draft pick either way.

The only question out there is whether there was a better deal available that the Sox could have had with another team. Assuming this was the best return, then there's absolutely no way to fault the FO for making this move.

[/QUOTE]

Can we please stop with the make believe 'hometown discount.'

[/QUOTE]

I think if the Sox offer him $150mm and the Yanks offer him $155mm, he'll come back to Boston. I think if the Sox offer him $150mm and the Yanks offer him $180mm, he's gone. He has said he'll offer a hometown discount, and I believe him. I just don't think the discount is very big.

[/QUOTE]

I'll play the game. How about the Yanks offer him 160 million? Do you think Jon's wife is gonna tell Jon to ignore the 10 million, because she'd rather live in Boston than Manhattan?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know exactly how big the discount is. I couldn't venture a guess. But yes, some people would take a 6.25% lower salary to live in a particular community where they have established lives and work for a particular employer where they are happy. I don't know Jon Lester's wife and I can't read Jon Lester's mind, but they might be one of those couples.

[/QUOTE]

Even if somehow the Red Sox miraculously sign Lester this winter, we are still left with, essentially, the same team we had this year. Cespedes is not much better than Gomes. Further improvements would need to be made to make this team relevant again.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Lester ought to be awesome in that Park.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cespedes also CAN'T be offered a Q.O. so there is no advantage the Sox have in extending him if he fits FA. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think everyone needs to admit this:  Gomes absolutely pipes. 

Cespedes is a major improvement over Gomes.  there is not a GM is the entire MLB - there is not a coach in the entire MLB that would take Gomes over Cespedes. 

It is not even close - so please stop.

Gomes pipes it.

Defense.  It is still important.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  48m
    The notion that Lester is somehow likely to return to the #RedSox is a little fanciful. No draft pick attached now. His price goes up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is now our new Jonny Gomes compares to our old Jonny Gomes:

Cespedes is at .275/.844 vs LHP, Gomes: .279/.875

Cespedes vs RHP: .257/.765, Gomes: .222/.722

At Fenway Gomes is hitting .242/.744, Cespedes: .250/.683

These numbers look very similar except that Cespedes hits RHP a bit better and Gomes hits LHP a bit better. Looks to me like we traded Gomes and Lester for a new younger Gomes. Wonderful.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, except over the last several years Nava has batted against RHP the majority of the time in Left.

Nava is a .291/.387/.428 hitter VS. RHP.

A properly used Nava/Gomes platoon, equates to a better hitter than Cespeds.

Cespedes does offer a defensive upgrade and more speed however, and more pop.  So it's not all negative. But he will hit less, walk less, and get on base much less than a Nava/Gomes platoon. 

Perhaps the combined effects of all those points still makes Cespedes slightly better.......but remember we just traded Lester for him.  Did we really want to get "marginally better" (and only arguably at best) for trading away our ACE????

[/QUOTE]

Marginal improvement in the OF, big loss in SP. The FO has some explaining to do. Can't wait to hear the spin on this one. Idiots.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

good year in terms of interest in out of town teams. peavy in san fran, beckett, gonzo and crawford in la, now oakland. maybe more to come.

it's actually kind of nice to have a reason to pay attention to other teams. less stress if they lose, but still fun if they succeed. normally i wouldn't watch an inning of out of town ball but this year i'll be watching quite a bit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  42m
    Cespedes has 17HRs. #RedSox OFs this season: 14.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  42m
    Cespedes has 17HRs. #RedSox OFs this season: 14.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Cespedes ought to be awesome in Fenway. Typical Cuban slugger, Free Swinger, K's a lot and doesn't walk much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep asking all the knowledgable fans.. Sox made an offer of x and were told no by Lester or hid agent.  What was their request to the Sox..  Without that all the low balling comments are simply wrong.   Lester. Will be 31 and too long a deal is bad business.  ( I know the exceptions to that rule)

People moan about salaries, cost of parking, tickets etc except when it's their team.

i think 4 yrs@25 is the most to offer ..  Push comes to shove 5 yrs@ 22.

i think any more than that is bad business.

[/QUOTE]

i agree with this, although the opposing argument is that you have no choice but to pay market value if you are going to succeed, and success is ultimately the real test of good business.

but still, i agree with your cutoff points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think everyone needs to admit this:  Gomes absolutely pipes. 

Cespedes is a major improvement over Gomes.  there is not a GM is the entire MLB - there is not a coach in the entire MLB that would take Gomes over Cespedes. 

It is not even close - so please stop.

Gomes pipes it.

Defense.  It is still important.

[/QUOTE]

Ok but we aren't comparing Gomes to Cespeds, we are comparing him to him VS. LHP because the reality is Gomes is a platoon hitter.

In LF Gomes hits vs. LHP and Nava hits vs. RHP.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  31m
    Since the start of 2013, Cespedes has 43 homers but also a .298 OBP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Gomes was a good bench reserve.  Cespedes is a 4 or 5 tool player that will be fun to watch.

Just hope he stays for more than next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  27m
    Only 6 career games at Fenway park for Cespedes. 0 home runs. Guessing that changes soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Cespedes also CAN'T be offered a Q.O. so there is no advantage the Sox have in extending him if he fits FA. 

Cespedes is under contract next year, he can be offered, if he starts  and plays the whole season with the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why not? Is it part of his contract?

[/QUOTE]

Yup

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Cespedes is under contract next year, he can be offered, if he starts the season with the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

From what I've gathered he has a clause in his contract which disallows a team to offer him a Q.O.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

time to trade for manny ramirez to be hitting instructor to cespedes.

get it done, Ben!

course his first "lesson" might involve syringes and transfusions. wonder what manny would have been without the juice. less power +  less overall effectiveness => less plate discipline = mediocre?