Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

In response to chetgnat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was an incredibly short-sighted and stupid trade made by the Red Sox. Ces is 28 years old, a .250 hitter, with a terrible career OBP. I can't believe that Ben shipped away his best asset for this guy. This appears to be a move by the Red Sox brass to try to divert criticism from those in it's fan base who are upset over losing Lester. 

Make no mistake about it...this is a terrible trade, that will keep the Sox mired in the lower end of their division for the next 2-3 years. 

[/QUOTE]

so then what would you pay Lester, and/or what other options do you think were available in trades?

ie. what was your preference?

[/QUOTE]

Trading for quality minor league OF prospects, or pitching prospects. This is was a terrible trade for a vastly overrated 28 year old, .250 hitter, with a terrible OBP. This is not the type of patient, disciplined hitter that has helped the Sox win three championships over the past 10 years. Management appears to have made this move to placate fans, rather than with an eye toward rebuilding to championship contention.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hate to be a downer here but if the Sox won't spring for the money to sign Lester now what makes anyone think they'll pony up the funds needed once Lester hits free agency, unless they feel they could get a toline player for him now realizing this season was lost and they'd be willing to spend much more later on the resign him. I'm not sure if the Sox front office is quite this savvy.  

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

So basically Cespedes is a 1 year rental, with no QO allowed, and he is going to go for his big pay day next contract.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hate to be a downer here but if the Sox won't spring for the money to sign Lester now what makes anyone think they'll pony up the funds needed once Lester hits free agency, unless they feel they could get a toline player for him now realizing this season was lost and they'd be willing to spend much more later on the resign him. I'm not sure if the Sox front office is quite this savvy.  

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

[/QUOTE]

Hetch, the Sox M.O. is give money to Non-Sox Free Agents. So you can bet they will give 120 million to the first SP they can find, who will never really shore up to be a Lester....hopefully a Lackey at best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Follow

Jon HeymanVerified account
    ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    a's, all over lester, appears to have deal for him. #mysteryteam

"Another day closer to the parade"

[/QUOTE]

I think/pretty sure anyway I like this deal especially if we could land a solid batting instructor to help him out.  He also has David to help so it should be a decent move.

[/QUOTE]

"David" turns 39 next season!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm positive 120 mill for 5 years would have sewed up Lester IN ST.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  5m
    Cespedes and Bradley have 12 OF assists, tied for the major league lead. Maybe Cespedes could throw somebody out at 1B at Fenway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LackLester deal by Sox...:-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a thought...

This has to really suck for Cespedes.  He moves from the contending A's who have a real chance at a WS Championship... to ... Boston.. who may play .400 ball the rest of the way.  Ugh.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Lester can let Cespedes touch his world series ring.......if that happens

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  8s
    Cespedes contract would not allow for qualifying offer after 2015, #RedSox official said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox are also getting a competitive balance pick. 

Which is equivalent to a supplemental first round pick. 

[/QUOTE]

You can also Trade that, if you want.

[/QUOTE]

The pick comes at the end of round 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm positive 120 mill for 5 years would have sewed up Lester IN ST.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think this might have gotten it done too.  I don't understand the low ball offer back then.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beane curse...they will still not win WS, but Lester will win his starts...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

So if Sox don't resign  or Trade Cespedes, they get a Comp B pick for Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He'll offer the Sox the "Alex P Keaon Family Discount" which is a whopping 1% OFF

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  18m
    #RedSox would have received a supplemental first round pick had Lester left as a FA. Instead they get Cespedes and a 2nd round pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cespedes could be  very dangerous hitter in Fenway.  I think the idea was to try and be competitive next year, rather than stockpiling even more prospects. Cespedes is a dynamic , all around player. I like him in the Sox outfield and the middle of the batting order. Obviously, Oakland is going for it all this year. They have no chance of re-signing Lester.  The Sox do have the ability to sign Jon in the off season, but it will require the dreaded expensive , long term contract.  I have not seen any indication they are willing to do that. The bidding may well start at 150 mil.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

You want to put a guy who can barely hit .250 and can't get on even at a .300 clip in the middle of the lineup???? 

He's a #5 hitter at best, probably a #6 on a good team. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   First off,  .250 in Oakland should be kept in context. He should hit more in Fenway, both for average and power. While OBP is all the rage, it takes a lot of walks to build a run. We will be better off with a right hand power bat to actually drive in some runs.  Of course, I wouldn't bat him leadoff or second. He is far better than the guys we have at the bottom of the order. So where would you put him?  The middle of the order?  Whether he bats 5th or 6th is trivial. This team has had all kinds of trouble scoring runs. We have been a listless, dull , boring offense all year. He should help correct that. This guy is an exciting, aggressive, dynamic player. A real athlete. He definitely improves our lineup.  I am as sorry to see Lester leave as anyone, but I think we did pretty good.  How many minor league prospects can we accumulate anyway?  At some point, you have to put an interesting product on the field.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, so expect to pay a minimum of 15+ if you want him back.

[/QUOTE]

What? Years?

[/QUOTE]
    No money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This whole Trade depends now on resigning Cespedes. If he does a Beltre, uses Fenway to drive up his price, I don't know.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We are all listening to our own arguments but not from the other side.  So let me at least make that attempt.

I'm fine with the deal, so you know. 

I could not agree more that keeping Lester is vastly to be preferred, but clearly the Sox didn't think he was affordable.  I also agree $70M was low ball, but I have the strong suspicion that Lester's real price, the one he will actually sign for, is pretty high and probably in the vicinity of $160M-$180M.  And that I think is a little steep.  As I have said on previous threads, Lester is our ace and certainly our most reliable starter by far.  But his WAR has slipped over the last three years, in part I think because he is a lefty who doesn't have a changeup he can rely on. 

Given the above and the fact that the Sox are going nowhere in 2014, I think the Sox had to peddle him basically as a rental. 

In return the Sox get a leftfielder with power--not last year's power or two years ago power, but this year's power, 17 dingers (in 4 months) while playing in a pretty big ball park.  On this Sox team he could bat 4th or 5th easily.  His WAR is 3.0, which makes him the 25th best everyday player in the AL.  He has scored more runs, 62, than anyone on the Sox and hit more dingers and batted in a lot more runs than anyone except Ortiz.  Given that Lester was destined to explore free agency, I think Cespedes is a pretty darn good value. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If he was under contract at least 2 years I would be in all in on this.