Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

Love this... Early in the year people where PO'd that the Sox stood around and watched too many pitches at the plate.  Now we get a guy who actually likes to swing the bat and people still are not satisfied. UNBELIEVABLE.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

FYI

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13m
    #RedSox are still working on trading John Lackey. Source put it at 70 percent he would be dealt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

This whole Trade depends now on resigning Cespedes. If he does a Beltre, uses Fenway to drive up his price, I don't know.

Another mistake made by the Sox. Beltre didn't "use Fenway to drive up his price". He wanted to stay in Boston, and was prepared to sign for reasonable money. But, the Sox chose instead to keep Youk, and move him to 3B.

Since moving on to Texas, Beltre has been the team's most consistent offensive player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FYI

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13m
    #RedSox are still working on trading John Lackey. Source put it at 70 percent he would be dealt.

[/QUOTE]

Gordon Edes is reporting the Red Sox are close to sending Lackey to either the Dodgers or Cardinals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You think the Sox Management was under pressure with Lester, can you imagine Trading Lester, Trade for Cespedes, for 1 year (Im not counting this year, were out of it), not get a Qualifying Offer for him, No Draft Pick, he walks and all we get is a Comp B pick for Lester. I'm sure Cespedes Agents know this.
    I see BIG bucks going Cespedes way.
    2016 No Lester, No Cespedes, just Comp B pick, could happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Che-The-God. Show Che-The-God's posts

how long does Boston have to wait before they can trade cespedes? would a cespedes/lackey for stanton deal be realistic??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  11s
    Red Sox make Lester deal official. Lester, Gomes and $$ for Cespdes and draft pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  7m
    Interesting to wonder where acquiring Cespedes leaves Mookie Betts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  30s
    Games started for #RedSox last season: Lester (33), Lackey (29), Dempster (29), Doubront (27), Buchholz (16) Peavy (10). One left.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This whole Trade depends now on resigning Cespedes. If he does a Beltre, uses Fenway to drive up his price, I don't know.

Another mistake made by the Sox. Beltre didn't "use Fenway to drive up his price". He wanted to stay in Boston, and was prepared to sign for reasonable money. But, the Sox chose instead to keep Youk, and move him to 3B.

Since moving on to Texas, Beltre has been the team's most consistent offensive player.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Definitely a blunder. But only obvious in hindsight. All indications at the time were that Youk/Gonzalez was going to be an excellent 3b/1b setup with the Sox for years to come. Maybe the FO should be faulted for not predicting Youk's decline, but I think that's a stretch. Nobody could have predicted that A-Gone was going to be a flop.

Heck, I wish we kept Marco Scutaro, playoff hero for Giants.

[/QUOTE]

Agon was not a complete flop...he just didn't hit the power numbers we wanted. Yup, I'd love to have kept Beltre with all the problems we've had at 3rd but as a Monday Morning QB I wish we kept Masterson, Crisp & Lowrie( have stayed with the A's since) & V. Martinez.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, to drive up his price he'll want to have a great contract year. Isn't that what Lester did?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Beane is a smart GM, knows that he'll probably never resign Cespedes, wont get nothing for him either in Draft. So he goes for all the marbles this year, by getting Lester. 2 month rental to try to win WS, and that's it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Beane is a smart GM, knows that he'll probably never resign Cespedes, wont get nothing for him either in Draft. So he goes for all the marbles this year, by getting Lester. 2 month rental to try to win WS, and that's it.

[/QUOTE]

It must be nice for a baseball organization to not only have a smart GM, but also a real GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham
    Jon Lester @JLester31  ·  16m
    Thanks y'all cant tell you how much your support means to me and my family! Excited to contribute to a very talented @Athletics team!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks y'all cant tell you how much your support means to me and my family! Excited to contribute to a very talented @Athletics team!

[/QUOTE]

Lester is a cinch for the MCP this year - Most Classy Player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

With these two lousy trades, the Sox added suspects, not prospects. Terrible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

With these two lousy trades, the Sox added suspects, not prospects. Terrible.

[object HTMLDivElement]

This is the kind of analysis that makes this board great.

Pithy:  suspects, not prospects.  I like it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Duffie33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is good?  Another .250 hitter?  With some power?  and no pitching.   

Our rotation next year - assuming Lackey is next 

1. Buchholtz

2. De La Rosa

3. Webster

4. guy from sec 104 row 14 seat 7

5. guy sitting next to him 

[/QUOTE]

Next year you can put ranaudo, Owens and Kelly in rotation...maybe Lester if John sells Liverpool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is your righty OF bat. Until they don't I am hoping they resign Lester this off season.

[/QUOTE]

Is FO willing to make a superb offer to John?...is ii a part of the deal?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Harold Reynolds thinks that Cespedes could add 20 pts. to his BA by playing at Fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Harold Reynolds rarely knows what he is talking about.  People over estimate ballpark factors.  Cespeds hits in a pitchers park, but actually has a much worse slash line away.

His career away stats are .248/.293/.443

His career line at Fenway isn't much better .252/.333/.333

I'm not saying it won't happen because the opposite happened with Lackey when he came to Fenway.  The splits said he would struggle in Boston, but even in his first year he pitched much better at Fenway than he did on the road....but again my point is that we shouldn't just assume that he is going to become a monster at Fenway.  A very modest uptick would be more realistic, but even then we won't know until he's here for a prolonged period of time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lester is a cinch for the MCP this year - Most Classy Player.

[/QUOTE]

There isn't that much competition. When it comes to 'classy,' he's a far cry from Dempsey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Harold Reynolds thinks that Cespedes could add 20 pts. to his BA by playing at Fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Harold Reynolds rarely knows what he is talking about.  People over estimate ballpark factors.  Cespeds hits in a pitchers park, but actually has a much worse slash line away.

I'm not saying it won't happen because the opposite happened with Lackey when he came to Fenway.  The splits said he would struggle in Boston, but even in his first year he pitched much better at Fenway than he did on the road....but again my point is that we shouldn't just assume that he is going to become a monster at Fenway.  A very modest uptick would be more realistic, but even then we won't know until he's here for a prolonged period of time. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "(Player X) is going to wear out the green monstah!!" upon Player X's signing ... that being said, Cespedes is going to wear out the green monster!!!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

One thing about Cespedes; at least the SOX will have a representative at next year's HR DERBY.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "(Player X) is going to wear out the green monstah!!" upon Player X's signing ... that being said, Cespedes is going to wear out the green monster!!!!\

Sometimes trying to hit the Monster ruins a player's swing, and they do worse in Fenway.

Let's hope this is not the case with Cespedes and Craig.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "(Player X) is going to wear out the green monstah!!" upon Player X's signing ... that being said, Cespedes is going to wear out the green monster!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm trying to be optimistic, he could....he's still relatively pretty young so we shall see what will happen.  But all things considered I think if he hits .260/.310/.490 next year with power, speed and good D I'll be happy. 

Sections
Shortcuts