Lester traded to A's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Lester traded to A's

i like how people automatically assume we just get 1yr of cespedes, but I’m pretty sure we will resign him before he hits free agency. In case people forgot, the sox don’t like handing out longterm deals to pitchers, hitters on the other hand is a different story. Also, we get 1.5 years of cespedes not 1. And i’m willing to bet right now that we will resign him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cespedes could be  very dangerous hitter in Fenway.  I think the idea was to try and be competitive next year, rather than stockpiling even more prospects. Cespedes is a dynamic , all around player. I like him in the Sox outfield and the middle of the batting order. Obviously, Oakland is going for it all this year. They have no chance of re-signing Lester.  The Sox do have the ability to sign Jon in the off season, but it will require the dreaded expensive , long term contract.  I have not seen any indication they are willing to do that. The bidding may well start at 150 mil.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

You want to put a guy who can barely hit .250 and can't get on even at a .300 clip in the middle of the lineup???? 

He's a #5 hitter at best, probably a #6 on a good team. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   First off,  .250 in Oakland should be kept in context. He should hit more in Fenway, both for average and power. While OBP is all the rage, it takes a lot of walks to build a run. We will be better off with a right hand power bat to actually drive in some runs.  Of course, I wouldn't bat him leadoff or second. He is far better than the guys we have at the bottom of the order. So where would you put him?  The middle of the order?  Whether he bats 5th or 6th is trivial. This team has had all kinds of trouble scoring runs. We have been a listless, dull , boring offense all year. He should help correct that. This guy is an exciting, aggressive, dynamic player. A real athlete. He definitely improves our lineup.  I am as sorry to see Lester leave as anyone, but I think we did pretty good.  How many minor league prospects can we accumulate anyway?  At some point, you have to put an interesting product on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Yes on this team he bats 5th.  On a first division team, he bats lower.

4 walks = a run yes, but one walk can equal a run on a double/triple/HR just like 2 walks runs on the same...there is synergistic affect to what comes next, it can also move a runner from 1st into scoring position and represents a guy who tends to make a pitcher work more.

People over estimate ballpark factors....they are real, but they aren't going to add a significant amount....Everyone thought Ellsbury would be a power threat in Yankee stadium. He's on pace to have 3-4 more.  If anything Cespedes should see an uptick in his doubles. 

I like Cespeds, and I think there may be some more upside there....but lets not pretend that a guy who hits .250 and gets on base around .300 is going to be the savior of this offense.  

Also let me clarify something here in relation to my past posts.  A full year of Cespedes is a better player than a full year of Nava and a full year of Gomes.  I was only pointing out that a properly used Nava/Gomes platoon has actually been as good and maybe even better than what Cespedes offers.

Perhaps Cespedes can be a .265/.310/.490 player in Boston with good speed and good defense.  And if the Sox resign Lester and that happens....this deal will actually look genius, but for now I remain skeptical. 

I will say this, if Victorino is healthy we may have one of the best defensive outfields, if not thee best next year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This year means nothing, helps him drive up his price. Especially if he kicks butt next 2 months.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No pressure on Cespedes to perform, so that's a plus in his debut part season with Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a thought...

This has to really suck for Cespedes.  He moves from the contending A's who have a real chance at a WS Championship... to ... Boston.. who may play .400 ball the rest of the way.  Ugh.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

[/QUOTE]

He'll get over it. He's probably thinking of that nice cozy wall, and his checks when he sign his new deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Gonna be financially painful if we want Jon back at $150 mil + if he gets a ring and 3-4 wins in playoffs and Cespedes does as we expect and hits 30 HRs and we need to compete to sign him too in a year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No pressure on Cespedes to perform, so that's a plus in his debut part season with Sox.

[/QUOTE]

In Boston?? Just the opposite is true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Love this... Early in the year people where PO'd that the Sox stood around and watched too many pitches at the plate.  Now we get a guy who actually likes to swing the bat and people still are not satisfied. UNBELIEVABLE.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

FYI

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13m
    #RedSox are still working on trading John Lackey. Source put it at 70 percent he would be dealt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

This whole Trade depends now on resigning Cespedes. If he does a Beltre, uses Fenway to drive up his price, I don't know.

Another mistake made by the Sox. Beltre didn't "use Fenway to drive up his price". He wanted to stay in Boston, and was prepared to sign for reasonable money. But, the Sox chose instead to keep Youk, and move him to 3B.

Since moving on to Texas, Beltre has been the team's most consistent offensive player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FYI

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  13m
    #RedSox are still working on trading John Lackey. Source put it at 70 percent he would be dealt.

[/QUOTE]

Gordon Edes is reporting the Red Sox are close to sending Lackey to either the Dodgers or Cardinals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You think the Sox Management was under pressure with Lester, can you imagine Trading Lester, Trade for Cespedes, for 1 year (Im not counting this year, were out of it), not get a Qualifying Offer for him, No Draft Pick, he walks and all we get is a Comp B pick for Lester. I'm sure Cespedes Agents know this.
    I see BIG bucks going Cespedes way.
    2016 No Lester, No Cespedes, just Comp B pick, could happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Che-The-God. Show Che-The-God's posts

how long does Boston have to wait before they can trade cespedes? would a cespedes/lackey for stanton deal be realistic??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  11s
    Red Sox make Lester deal official. Lester, Gomes and $$ for Cespdes and draft pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  7m
    Interesting to wonder where acquiring Cespedes leaves Mookie Betts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  30s
    Games started for #RedSox last season: Lester (33), Lackey (29), Dempster (29), Doubront (27), Buchholz (16) Peavy (10). One left.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This whole Trade depends now on resigning Cespedes. If he does a Beltre, uses Fenway to drive up his price, I don't know.

Another mistake made by the Sox. Beltre didn't "use Fenway to drive up his price". He wanted to stay in Boston, and was prepared to sign for reasonable money. But, the Sox chose instead to keep Youk, and move him to 3B.

Since moving on to Texas, Beltre has been the team's most consistent offensive player.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Definitely a blunder. But only obvious in hindsight. All indications at the time were that Youk/Gonzalez was going to be an excellent 3b/1b setup with the Sox for years to come. Maybe the FO should be faulted for not predicting Youk's decline, but I think that's a stretch. Nobody could have predicted that A-Gone was going to be a flop.

Heck, I wish we kept Marco Scutaro, playoff hero for Giants.

[/QUOTE]

Agon was not a complete flop...he just didn't hit the power numbers we wanted. Yup, I'd love to have kept Beltre with all the problems we've had at 3rd but as a Monday Morning QB I wish we kept Masterson, Crisp & Lowrie( have stayed with the A's since) & V. Martinez.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, to drive up his price he'll want to have a great contract year. Isn't that what Lester did?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Beane is a smart GM, knows that he'll probably never resign Cespedes, wont get nothing for him either in Draft. So he goes for all the marbles this year, by getting Lester. 2 month rental to try to win WS, and that's it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Beane is a smart GM, knows that he'll probably never resign Cespedes, wont get nothing for him either in Draft. So he goes for all the marbles this year, by getting Lester. 2 month rental to try to win WS, and that's it.

[/QUOTE]

It must be nice for a baseball organization to not only have a smart GM, but also a real GM.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham
    Jon Lester @JLester31  ·  16m
    Thanks y'all cant tell you how much your support means to me and my family! Excited to contribute to a very talented @Athletics team!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Retweeted by Pete Abraham
    Jon Lester @JLester31  ·  16m
    Thanks y'all cant tell you how much your support means to me and my family! Excited to contribute to a very talented @Athletics team!

[/QUOTE]

Lester is a cinch for the MCP this year - Most Classy Player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

With these two lousy trades, the Sox added suspects, not prospects. Terrible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

With these two lousy trades, the Sox added suspects, not prospects. Terrible.

[object HTMLDivElement]

This is the kind of analysis that makes this board great.

Pithy:  suspects, not prospects.  I like it.

25. This post has been removed.