Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher

Amazing how I got killed for saying the yankee players were better (the Lester vs Burnett was just for a specific length of time that I referenced).......and now.......hmmmm........well, just look at the #'s and make your own call......Even if Lester and Drew are better, it's not like it would be insane to make the reference.......althought I am sure there are a few of you who will claim it is...Have at it!!!!!!!!  Or will it be another one of those "cricket" moments?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

Re: Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher

In response to "Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher": [QUOTE]Amazing how I got killed for saying the yankee players were better (the Lester vs Burnett was just for a specific length of time that I referenced).......and now.......hmmmm........well, just look at the #'s and make your own call......Even if Lester and Drew are better, it's not like it would be insane to make the reference.......althought I am sure there are a few of you who will claim it is...Have at it!!!!!!!!  Or will it be another one of those "cricket" moments????? Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] If Lester pitched in the NL things might be different.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Crickets.......got it........figures........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher:
    [QUOTE]Amazing how I got killed for saying the yankee players were better (the Lester vs Burnett was just for a specific length of time that I referenced).......and now.......hmmmm........well, just look at the #'s and make your own call......Even if Lester and Drew are better, it's not like it would be insane to make the reference.......althought I am sure there are a few of you who will claim it is...Have at it!!!!!!!!  Or will it be another one of those "cricket" moments?????
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Lester over Burnett every darn day despite the bad season to date.  For years in a row before 2012 his ERA was between 3 and 3.5 and he averaged around 31 or 32 starts a season.  As for Drew vs. Swisher, I thought Drew wasn't playing any more.  Swisher was a smart acquisition by the Yankees, but I think most of us in RSN agreed DRew was not a smart acquisition.  In five years in Boston he never knocked in more than 68 runs in a season.  Better defensively than Swisher, no question, but not much in the offense department. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher : Lester over Burnett every darn day despite the bad season to date.  For years in a row before 2012 his ERA was between 3 and 3.5 and he averaged around 31 or 32 starts a season.  As for Drew vs. Swisher, I thought Drew wasn't playing any more.  Swisher was a smart acquisition by the Yankees, but I think most of us in RSN agreed DRew was not a smart acquisition.  In five years in Boston he never knocked in more than 68 runs in a season.  Better defensively than Swisher, no question, but not much in the offense department. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Every darn day huh?  I think you need to go back and compare.  For example, would you take Lester over Burnett in April?  Even back during Lester's so-called prime?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Love it, Dude puts half the board on ignore and is then surprised by "crickets".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A-Mitch, here is a bit of life coaching:  If you really need a bit of ego-coddling and affirmation, which it seems clear that you do from all the "I was right, tell me I was right" posts of late, there are really much better places to find that than a sports message board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lester is better than Burnett, Marginally but he is also a much better value.  This year Burnett is better year BUT Lester has been better over the past several years (his best era the last 6 years before now was 4.07)  However Lester has been much better lately, their numbers (without looking) probably mirror each other in august.

Swisher is better than Drew Hands down for two reasons.  First of all Swisher has shown a much better ability to stay healthy.  Swisher is pretty much what Drew would have given you if he played in 15 more games a year.  But when you look at the dollars that when Swisher really gets better than Drew was,  he was had for about half the price as J.D. Drew at the same rate of production per game for more games. 

So yes Drew is < than Swisher and Lester < Burnett this year only. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

First: 5/25/2011
    Last: 8/22/2012
    Love it, Dude puts half the board on ignore and is then surprised by "crickets".

Pretty funny huh?  I think I'm on that ignore list, and frankly, I couldn't be happier....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Lester is better than Burnett, Marginally but he is also a much better value.  This year Burnett is better year BUT Lester has been better over the past several years (his best era the last 6 years before now was 4.07)  However Lester has been much better lately, their numbers (without looking) probably mirror each other in august. Swisher is better than Drew Hands down for two reasons.  First of all Swisher has shown a much better ability to stay healthy.  Swisher is pretty much what Drew would have given you if he played in 15 more games a year.  But when you look at the dollars that when Swisher really gets better than Drew was,  he was had for about half the price as J.D. Drew at the same rate of production per game for more games.  So yes Drew is < than Swisher and Lester < Burnett this year only. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

exactly - Marginally.....it's certainly not insane to compare the 2......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher:
    [QUOTE]Amazing how I got killed for saying the yankee players were better (the Lester vs Burnett was just for a specific length of time that I referenced).......and now.......hmmmm........well, just look at the #'s and make your own call......Even if Lester and Drew are better, it's not like it would be insane to make the reference.......althought I am sure there are a few of you who will claim it is...Have at it!!!!!!!!  Or will it be another one of those "cricket" moments?????

Right now, yes you have to say Burnett is the better pitcher. He was made for pitching in the NL. Also, it is a no brainer that the Swisher aquisition was far better than the Drew one. The aquisition of Swisher has really worked out well for the Yankees. He always seems to kill the Red Sox as well. He would look good in the Red Sox outfield right about now.  Even though I think Lester is the better pitcher overall and I wasn't one of the people that said you were insane, I would say that your assessment on the four players mentioned was pretty accurate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher : Right now, yes you have to say Burnett is the better pitcher. He was made for pitching in the NL. Also, it is a no brainer that the Swisher aquisition was far better than the Drew one. The aquisition of Swisher has really worked out well for the Yankees. He always seems to kill the Red Sox as well. He would look good in the Red Sox outfield right about now.  Even though I think Lester is the better pitcher overall and I wasn't one of the people that said you were insane, I would say that your assessment on the four players mentioned was pretty accurate.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

great!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Thanks JP, I think the ego has been stroked sufficiently now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher : Every darn day huh?  I think you need to go back and compare.  For example, would you take Lester over Burnett in April?  Even back during Lester's so-called prime?

Figure of speech.  I'm sure Burnett has better days than Lester.  But, on every day someone asks me who I prefer pitching for the Sox, the answer will be Lester.  He is our guy, up from the farm system, cancer surviver, etc.  I wish he had a good changeup and would advise him to go steal Burnett's if Burnett has a good changeup.  Five years ago Lester had a pretty nice win in the WS and hasn't looked back.  Horrible this year, but now seems to be coming out of it. 

Are you honestly saying that in this offseason, if the Sox are offered an even up trade, Burnett for Lester, you will take Burnett? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher : Figure of speech.  I'm sure Burnett has better days than Lester.  But, on every day someone asks me who I prefer pitching for the Sox, the answer will be Lester.  He is our guy, up from the farm system, cancer surviver, etc.  I wish he had a good changeup and would advise him to go steal Burnett's if Burnett has a good changeup.  Five years ago Lester had a pretty nice win in the WS and hasn't looked back.  Horrible this year, but now seems to be coming out of it.  Are you honestly saying that in this offseason, if the Sox are offered an even up trade, Burnett for Lester, you will take Burnett? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I am sorry, you lost me at Cancer Survivor.  Maybe I haven't been keeping up on the latest Sabermetrics but is that something that is figured into performance models these days?  Hmmmm....I am starting to wonder if JD Drew and Carl Crawford may have been 1 time cancer survivors and one of Theo's lackeys took that into account during the negotiations.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

From 2008 to 2011, Burnett was 52-45 with a 4.59 ERA and 1.418 WHIP in 805 IP pitching in the AL East just like Lester. His best year was 2008 whe he was 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA.

Lester during the same period was 65-32 with a 3.33 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP in 813 IP. His best year was 19-9 with a 3.25 ERA in 2010.

So Burnett finally has a good year in the first year that Lester has struggled and all of a sudden Burnett is a better pitcher to have going forward.

Ridiculous.

I'll take Lester going forward and bet that Lester has a better year than Burnett next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't have a problem with comparing Lester to Burnett in his prime, but Burnett's 35 now and is having his first good year in three years.  How do you think Lester would do in the NL Central?  Pitching to 8 batters?  In a larger park with no Green Monster?  And an unbalanced schedule featuring the Astros and Cubs instead of the Red Sox and Blue Jays?  Burnett's got some advantages here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I don't have a problem with comparing Lester to Burnett in his prime, but Burnett's 35 now and is having his first good year in three years.  How do you think Lester would do in the NL Central?  Pitching to 8 batters?  In a larger park with no Green Monster?  And an unbalanced schedule featuring the Astros and Cubs instead of the Red Sox and Blue Jays?  Burnett's got some advantages here.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Even weak Major league hitters will still bash bad stuff

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

From 2008 to 2011, Burnett was 52-45 with a 4.59 ERA and 1.418 WHIP in 805 IP pitching in the AL East just like Lester. His best year was 2008 whe he was 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA.

Absolutely delusional.  Maybe the HOF is on tap for Burnett.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Lester Vs Burnett and Drew Vs Swisher": [QUOTE]From 2008 to 2011, Burnett was 52-45 with a 4.59 ERA and 1.418 WHIP in 805 IP pitching in the AL East just like Lester. His best year was 2008 whe he was 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA. Lester during the same period was 65-32 with a 3.33 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP in 813 IP. His best year was 19-9 with a 3.25 ERA in 2010. So Burnett finally has a good year in the first year that Lester has struggled and all of a sudden Burnett is a better pitcher to have going forward. Ridiculous. I'll take Lester going forward and bet that Lester has a better year than Burnett next year. Posted by royf19[/QUOTE] So true, so simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Who in their right mind wished we ever had Burnett? And over Lester? Even if Lester retired tomorow I would not take Burnett.