Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester

He has reported he is fine after slipping on the mound last night. But what I noticed about his delivery was confirmed in this article. He has made some adjustments and last night it looks like it worked. Baseball is a constant game of adjustments, especially for pitchers. Having to throw a ball 100+ times a game and repeat the exact same motion while throwing 4 different pitches is not easy. If the slightest thing is off, it can disrupt where the pitch goes, how it comes out of your hand, etc.

Lester made an adjustment with his glove between starts. Looks like, at least last night, it worked.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/27/jon-lester-not-concerned-with-hip-injury-after-strong-outing/qhd2rmugUQgUW6hs2FG7IN/story.html

If he can continue getting ahead of hitters and using his change up, which I didnt realize was such a good pitch for him, He should be good the rest of the way and get back on track.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Lester

I thought he looked pretty good last night against a very good line up. Hopefully he will continue to build on his success from last night. Hopefully the hip issue is nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Lester looked really good last night.  The fact that he pitched so well to begin the season gave me hope that he could get back on track.  Last night's outing was very encouraging.  Hopefully, the injury to his hip won't linger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Reportedly, Lester is expected to make his next start

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Reportedly, Lester is expected to make his next start

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

Yeah, I know what happened to him last night. It has happened to me before. He might be slightly sore today, if at all. he should be Ok moving forward.

Nobody is probably more frustrated that Lester about his recent struggles. Hes a fierce competitor and works incredibly hard to pitch the best he can. They made an adjustment that seemed to have worked. having Lester back at the top of his game is huge. Im not saying hes "back", but last night was very encouraging.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think we forget with all these injuries we see how often really minor injuries can often be.  I get b**ged up all the time and I'm fine within a day or two.  If there's no structural damage he should be fine, doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to take him out of the game.  That might have been the difference between making his next start and starting after the allstar break. 

I guess I can't say a word that rhymes with "slanged" replace s with B to describe someone being slightly injured.  I mean WOW!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I dont get too high, or get too low, with Lester. Consistency is the name of the game.
    With that said, he is a huge piece for this team to make it to the Post-Season and beyond.

To be continued.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

all things considered, seeing Jon go 7 was very encouraging to me. Lack has shown that he's back with his swagger and if buch can just heal and get back we have a pretty damn good starting staff.

GO SOX!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester has the history to believe he will turn things around. 3 pitching coaches and 2 managers topped with a ton of drama will do that to a player/team. Farrell noticed things from another dugout that last years coaches didnt. It obviously hasnt been a smooth transition back, but although the velocity is down a notch or 2, he proved last night that when you make the right adjustments good things can happen. Also, I really didnt realize how important that change up is going to be for him. The bottom just falls out of it.

As someone said above, consistency is the key to success for a MLB pitcher. Hopefully this is the start of that. With a healthy Buch, Lackey pitching like he is, and a Jon Lester that is right, thats more than enough to make a deep playoff run. There are still some "IF's" for sure. The next 4 weeks are important in determining what we do at the deadline. Me? For right now, I still have faith in the current pitchers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lets keep it real about Lester. While last night's outing was a much better effort than his most recent starts, he did surrender four ER in seven innings for an in game ERA of 5.14. His ERA actually went UP after yesterday's game and now is a lofty 4.61. Remember: ALL the runs he was charged with count. An ERA of 5.14 is more like a #5 SP or worse. He was better, but he was certainly not good yesterday.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He has reported he is fine after slipping on the mound last night. But what I noticed about his delivery was confirmed in this article. He has made some adjustments and last night it looks like it worked. Baseball is a constant game of adjustments, especially for pitchers. Having to throw a ball 100+ times a game and repeat the exact same motion while throwing 4 different pitches is not easy. If the slightest thing is off, it can disrupt where the pitch goes, how it comes out of your hand, etc.

Lester made an adjustment with his glove between starts. Looks like, at least last night, it worked.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/27/jon-lester-not-concerned-with-hip-injury-after-strong-outing/qhd2rmugUQgUW6hs2FG7IN/story.html

If he can continue getting ahead of hitters and using his change up, which I didnt realize was such a good pitch for him, He should be good the rest of the way and get back on track.

Wow.  I didn't see the glove adjustment, but you could well be right. 

I thought he looked very determined last night and threw just a tad harder.  He has not used the changeup that much this year, but last night used it more and maybe because of that adjustment and maybe because too many fastballs has been disastrous for.  My mlb.com package says his changeup was moving 9 inches, which is at least 2 inches more than it has been moving.  So, again, it could be the adjustment you mention.  I honestly think he was tired in the 8th, which is why he walked the first three batters and why he hurt himself (slightly). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lets keep it real about Lester. While last night's outing was a much better effort than his most recent starts, he did surrender four ER in seven innings for an in game ERA of 5.14. His ERA actually went UP after yesterday's game and now is a lofty 4.61. Remember: ALL the runs he was charged with count. An ERA of 5.14 is more like a #5 SP or worse. He was better, but he was certainly not good yesterday.

I am keeping it real and I dont use your favorite, "in game" ERA, as my main stat to judge a pitcher. Ive already told you that ERA alone is a very very rough way to determine the worth of a pitcher. I also put things in the correct context. I never said anything that wasnt realistic. He made an adjustment, could have gone longer and we will never know if he would have shut them down or not, Bullpen didnt shut things down and allowed 2 runs to score. He looked good, especially his change up. Nothing more nothing less. Those statements are all true, thus realistic.

I also said there were still some "If's" and that the next 4 weeks were important.

Im not ready to say he's "back", but Im also not ready to give up on Lester. Not sure whats not realistic about that. Unless you were talking to someone else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

Good time to use the All Star break to negotiate an extension on Lester. Lester is one of the few starting pitchers who can hold up with decent numbers over a full season in the AL East. Trying to replace even the down Lester, over the next 3 years, is impossible without higher costs and higher risk. The Red Sox need to improve the quality of the starting pitching depth for good value, and waiting it out on Lester will amost surely result in his departure or retention at a poor value cost.

Overall, I agree and I think we should offer an extension, but wait until 2014 to make 100% sure hes going to be worth it. He has some things to work on due to starting the natural process of losing his velocity. Id like to be more confident that he will be worth a deal that will take him into his early/mid 30's for a lot of money. We have an option at a good price next year that we should take advantage of first.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

A very encouraging thing last night is he threw 21-27 1st Pitch strikes. Hershiser who I consider one of the best, said the most important Pitch in an at bat is the 1st Pitch.
    When Jon throws 1st Pitch strikes consistently, he will have a good game. When his Pitch count starts climbing by 3rd inning, get the BP ready. 5-6 innings tops. Usually getting hit, or walking a lot of men. In which he'll give up a lot of runs.
    Blueprint for Jon Lester.
    High Pitch count by 3rd inning watch out.
    1st Pitch strikes, good to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This post ^^^ puts the worst possible spin on Lester's performance.  As Pumpsie says, all of them count, but IMO yestereday's performance can be viewed as "glass half empty" or "glass half full". 

Lester pitched seven good innings, giving up only two runs (in-game ERA = 3.00), which is consistent with the way he was pitching at the beginning of the year when the 'pen was longer.  Was he injured?  Was he tired?  I'm not privy to that information, but I DO know that while yesterday's performance was what I was hoping for I have to admit it was better than I expected.

Assuming whatever happened to his hip last night is healed by his next start I now expect another good outing from him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I am keeping it real and I dont use your favorite, "in game" ERA, as my main stat to judge a pitcher. Ive already told you that ERA alone is a very very rough way to determine the worth of a pitcher. I also put things in the correct context. I never said anything that wasnt realistic. He made an adjustment, could have gone longer and we will never know if he would have shut them down or not, Bullpen didnt shut things down and allowed 2 runs to score. He looked good, especially his change up. Nothing more nothing less. Those statements are all true, thus realistic.

I also said there were still some "If's" and that the next 4 weeks were important.

Im not ready to say he's "back", but Im also not ready to give up on Lester. Not sure whats not realistic about that. Unless you were talking to someone else.

[/QUOTE]

The tone of this thread is that somehow Lester did a good job last night. That is simply not true. Even though Taz let in some of the inherited runners, Lester did have two on and the count of 3-0 to another batter before he departed. He left a big mess and was charged with four ER in seven innings. I use the in game ERA only to gain a perspective of how well a pitcher did for an individual game, and I do not think that this kind of ERA, if carried out over a season, would be viewed as positive by too many posters here. The fact of the matter is that although his performance was better than the last few, it was not good. In fact, while Lester has had a few good games (as any ML pitcher with his number of games pitched has), for nearly two years he has performed close to the level of a #4 SP at best. If you are saying he is a #4 I would buy that. Better than that I would ask you to show me the evidence.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

pumpsie-green,

You need to rewatch the game tape.  This absolutely was a new Lester going against a hot team.  He was determined and focused and threw harder than he has all year and definitely had a better changeup, which was breaking 9 inches according to mlb.com.  Toronto didn't get a hit until the 5th inning, and you are saying he was mediocre?  Wow.  Just wow. 

Yes, he did walk three guys in the 8th, I think because he was tired, and I think he was tired because he was throwing so hard.  And, yes, those two more runs belong to him.  But I blame Farrell a little for not replacing him after the first two guys walked.  Tazawa just might have been able to get three outs without allowing anyone to score. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Everything I said was realistic. You said lets keep it real. I was, and usually do.

Whos to say whether he would have K'd that batter before he left, or GIDP, or gave up a HR. He tweaked his hip and we will never know. Taz had to rush into the game and almost threw the 1st pitch into the 5th row, loading the bases. You have to put things in the correct context in baseball, not just go by the final numbers. Although I realize what they are, it doesnt tell the full story.

There were plenty of positives to take from this game for Lester.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Everything I said was realistic. You said lets keep it real. I was, and usually do.

Whos to say whether he would have K'd that batter before he left, or GIDP, or gave up a HR. He tweaked his hip and we will never know. Taz had to rush into the game and almost threw the 1st pitch into the 5th row, loading the bases. You have to put things in the correct context in baseball, not just go by the final numbers. Although I realize what they are, it doesnt tell the full story.

I'm telling ya' South....this place is getting sad.  The guy has a VERY solid outing against the hottest team in baseball and the local pessists are calling him a liar about his injury and basing everything on 2 runs in the 8th as to why it was a bad start!  I really don't get it.....

If people were to look at his stats the last 4 years they will see that this is nothing new from Lester.  He is notorious for having a so so' beginning to the season but heats up after the allstar break.  If you take out 2012 his July and August ERA's are GREAT.  Relax people......the sky is not falling.  Is he a true ace??  I don't think so...but he is a VERY solid #2 and a workhorse that you can tell cares about what he does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

Overall, I agree and I think we should offer an extension, but wait until 2014 to make 100% sure hes going to be worth it

If it becomes "100% sure" at a later time and place, the cost goes up and the value goes down. The entire basis for seeking an extension, now, is to retain Lester at a lower cost and likely resulting good value. 

"Wait until" isn't the way markets work. It's perfectly clear what Lester is and where his value is. There is no need to wait until his results are better and his costs go up. 

What would you offer him right now softy? I think we discussed thi before, but I apologize. I forgot.

I might explore an extension this offseason. Depending how the year goes will depend on the offer. Lester might sign, but might also believe he can pitch better and get a better offer after 2014. That goes for a 2013 in-season offer too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Agree. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm telling ya' South....this place is getting sad.  The guy has a VERY solid outing against the hottest team in baseball and the local pessists are calling him a liar about his injury and basing everything on 2 runs in the 8th as to why it was a bad start!  I really don't get it.....

If people were to look at his stats the last 4 years they will see that this is nothing new from Lester.  He is notorious for having a so so' beginning to the season but heats up after the allstar break.  If you take out 2012 his July and August ERA's are GREAT.  Relax people......the sky is not falling.  Is he a true ace??  I don't think so...but he is a VERY solid #2 and a workhorse that you can tell cares about what he does.

[/QUOTE]

I know. I think Im being more realistic than some here. Im using more stats, looking deeper into each outing, and not just relying on the final numbers. they dont always tell the whole story. Ive never said he was going to be the old Lester, but a good #2 is certainly not unrealistic. I realize he could go the other way too, but I just refuse to give up on him. I think he can still be a solid TOTR starter (#2). Hes smart and has shown he can make the adjustments, and with the new coaching staff and manager, I think he has a better support system then the last couple years.