1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Lester

He's lost it with an ERA near 4.50 he's no longer the ace or anything close. Send him to the BP and let him straighten out there because he's hurting us as the #1 starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Lester

In response to jader's comment:

He's lost it with an ERA near 4.50 he's no longer the ace or anything close. Send him to the BP and let him straighten out there because he's hurting us as the #1 starter.

He has not been the ace for over two years. In fact, with an ERA of close to 5 over two seasons of work he is barely a #4-5 SP. I agree: if CB can make it back, Lester becomes the long relief man, based on his performance. Will it happen? No. But it should.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You seriously think Lester is our #1 SP?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

He has not been the ace for over two years. In fact, with an ERA of close to 5 over two seasons of work he is barely a #4-5 SP. I agree: if CB can make it back, Lester becomes the long relief man, based on his performance. Will it happen? No. But it should.

[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a reason for preferring Dempster over Lester, nor do I think it is that close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You must of loved the start. You had to be quiet for a month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

....and the beat goes on.....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes been great overall for the mont of July. He left the ball up the other day. It happens. Doesnt discount the fact that he had made many adjustments and we saw great improvemnt. Maybe some of you ought to get a bit more realistic and realize that Lester could be just another #3 going forward and stop referring to him as our #1 or Ace.

July numbers.

31.2IP 32H 11ER 8BB 31K 3.13ERA

His control has been great. even the other night he didnt walk anyone.

When making adjustments being an MLB pitcher, there will be bumps in the road. Hes been better this year than last year and just because he had a bad game last time out doesnt change the fact that we have seen a great improvemnt over the last month.

Thank God some of you arent managers or GM's because you have no patience whatsoever and fail to understand the situation and what an MLB pitcher has to go through when making big adjustments to his game. Farrell and Nieves have obviously made a difference with Lester. No transition like this goes smoothly. If Lester is #3 going forward, I have no issue with that. He has a 13M option that should be picked up and then depending on how he performs in 2014 will decide if hes offered an extension and for how much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I can't think of a reason for preferring Dempster over Lester, nor do I think it is that close.

I think Lester needs the support of Clay B. A rivalry among team mates is common. Who knows when this happens. If Lester pitches well, Buch pitches hard. I throw this out because no other reason for me to grasp Lester's major decline.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think that they are of roughly the same quality.  Both are #4-5 SP right now. I don't prefer one over the other necessarily.

Jon Lester ERA: 4.52, ERA+:93, WHIP: 1.367, WAR: 1.3

Ryan Dempster ERA: 4.54, ERA+:93, WHIP: 1.496, WAR: 0.1

Very similar stats, Lester being minimally better than our ostensible #5. That makes Lester a borderline #4-5 SP. Pretty interchangeable with Dempster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to torgorocks's comment:

In response to readsocks' comment:

I really think too much of Beckett rubbed off on the guy.. he looks like a pompous  jerk out there.. he thinks he is alot better than he is.. 

Right now Lester is pitching on reputation and fumes. If he doesn't turn it around the rest of the way, i don't see him being with the SOX next year. Dempster was a big mistake, and the SOX are stuck with him through next year unless the FO wants to eat most of his remaining contract.

I agree. We do not need two #5 SP next year, and we are stuck with Dempster. As long as we have four other guys who are better than Dempster its time to hand Jon Lester his walking papers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I really think too much of Beckett rubbed off on the guy.. he looks like a pompous  jerk out there.. he thinks he is alot better than he is.. 

Right now Lester is pitching on reputation and fumes. If he doesn't turn it around the rest of the way, i don't see him being with the SOX next year. Dempster was a big mistake, and the SOX are stuck with him through next year unless the FO wants to eat most of his remaining contract.

I agree. We do not need two #5 SP next year, and we are stuck with Dempster. As long as we have four other guys who are better than Dempster its time to hand Jon Lester his walking papers.

You would keep Demp over Lester? Wow....just....wow.

Well, everyone obviously looks at this situation differently. I be if you ask every GM, they would take Lester over Dempster everytime.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

Lester admitted that everything that he threw was high and was therefore hit. He may have had good stuff but the location was way off. Sounds like his mechanics still need more fine tuning. The problem isn't as bad as many of you think. I am optimistic - sorry.

No, Im with you on this one pike...Like my above post states.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You would keep Demp over Lester? Wow....just....wow.

No, I would not keep Demp over Lester. But we are STUCK with Demp; we are not stuck with Lester. And we do not need both of them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[/QUOTE]

I think that they are of roughly the same quality.  Both are #4-5 SP right now. I don't prefer one over the other necessarily.

Jon Lester ERA: 4.52, ERA+:93, WHIP: 1.367, WAR: 1.3

Ryan Dempster ERA: 4.54, ERA+:93, WHIP: 1.496, WAR: 0.1

One more pitcher to add to this, prior to last night's start.

Jake Peavy ERA: 4.28, ERA+: 100, WHIP: 1.138, WAR: 1.3

[/QUOTE]

Very similar stats, Lester being minimally better than our ostensible #5. That makes Lester a borderline #4-5 SP. Pretty interchangeable with Lester.

[/QUOTE]

Very similar stats, Peavy being minimally better than our pitcher whom you'd like to brand as #4-5.  That makes Peavy a borderline #3-4 pitcher, only marginally better than Lester. 

This isn't a knock on Peavy.  It's just to show that 1) Stats can be deceiving, and 2) we have to hope that both of those pitcher do better than their numbers indicate.  Peavy did last night.  That doesn't mean Lester won't have as good an outing in his next start.