lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: lester

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to soups' comment:

Last night was on the offense and defense, not Lester.   

Yup, Lester did his job.  He was shaky in the first, but it often takes a starter a couple of innings to settle in. 

I know the bottom line is W-L, but despite the loss, I am very encouraged by Lester's performance last night.  I'd almost rather see him lose in an outing like that than get a win in which he pitched terribly but was bailed out by the offense.

Lester's hallmark this year is inconsistency. Good outings are followed by eggs. Thats why he is no more than a #4 SP nowadays with an ERA of 4.52.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Yup, Lester did his job.  He was shaky in the first, but it often takes a starter a couple of innings to settle in. 

I know the bottom line is W-L, but despite the loss, I am very encouraged by Lester's performance last night.  I'd almost rather see him lose in an outing like that than get a win in which he pitched terribly but was bailed out by the offense.

Lester's hallmark this year is inconsistency. Good outings are followed by eggs. Thats why he is no more than a #4 SP nowadays with an ERA of 4.52.

Yes, we know...

You've been posting that after every game where he doesn't K 10 batters.

We get it....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Yes, he's been inconsistent.  He is going through an adjustment period.  It is too small a sample to know whether he will regain that top of the rotation consistency, but in his last 8 or so starts, he is trending in the right direction.   I remain hopeful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think that's true - it's more that he has stretches of very good performances, and stretches of very bad performances.  His first 9 games were excellent.  His next 8 were very bad.  3 of his last 4 have been excellent.  I'm more inclined to believe he's on a hot streak.  His velocity has been climbing a bit as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I will agree that Lester has been inconsistent but, and I have not checked the stats, I believe Lackey, Dubront, Webster too need our offense to give them 5-6 runs for a win.

In 97% humidity he did over 40 pitches in the first inning that might have been cut in half w/o Gomes error. Should he be nailed to the cross for the 2 walks ? The guy still might have scored from 3rd but it could have been only 1-0.

He went on to keep them scoreless and I thought he'd not make the 5th inning but went on to the 7th with 121 pitches and only 2 more hits for a total of 4 hits, the same 3 runs in the 1st so only 1 earned run for his 7 innings.  So without the error costing 2 runs and had the situation stayed the same, we'd lost 3-1.

Our pitching staff, and I don't have the stats of our ave ERA but I bet it's in the top 25% of the teams but we need an average run production or 4-6 runs per game.

Napoli is more of a critical issue with his lack of hitting than is Lester's pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Lester -- 7 IP, 1 ER 120 Pitches.

'Nuff said.

And not throwing strikes  Nuff said.

Also had to pitch out of jams created by shabby fielding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Yes, he's been inconsistent.  He is going through an adjustment period.  It is too small a sample to know whether he will regain that top of the rotation consistency, but in his last 8 or so starts, he is trending in the right direction.   I remain hopeful.

Is adjustment period the whole year? When is enough...?  regain consistency... Still waiting on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Not getting into your silly classification system, you should probably double check his ERA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Not getting into your silly classification system, you should probably double check his ERA.

Mea culpa: 4.37. He has still been very inconsistent and is a #4 SP IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to CubanPete's comment:

'Nuff said.

Yup. He did OK tonight after a very shaky first inning that Gomes made worse with the error. Hard to fault THIS performance by Lester.

Errors happen. Lester gave up a leadoff double, 2 BBs, and a single in the 1st inning. He put his team in an 0-3 hole. He's very much at fault.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Farrell is doing a great impersonation of Jimy Williams with this stupid lineup. I'm still wondering why Dan Butler hasn't been called up. They called up Lavarnway, yet benched him against a lefty. Curiouser and curiouser...

Farrell's short-comings as a manager will catch up with the SOX before the season's over. It's an outright miracle this team is still in 1st place. Most miracles tend to be temporary.

Fully agee,   excellent conclusion, to make this team better was my concern prior to July 31, still is, thou the space is norrower, but drawing from farm, waivers or even independent leagues might work, and, of course, a better job from Farrell during game  strategy is a prominent must...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to CubanPete's comment:

I just did, thanks. 

'Nuff said.

Yup. He did OK tonight after a very shaky first inning that Gomes made worse with the error. Hard to fault THIS performance by Lester.

Errors happen. Lester gave up a leadoff double, 2 BBs, and a single in the 1st inning. He put his team in an 0-3 hole. He's very much at fault.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Farrell is doing a great impersonation of Jimy Williams with this stupid lineup. I'm still wondering why Dan Butler hasn't been called up. They called up Lavarnway, yet benched him against a lefty. Curiouser and curiouser...

Baloney.  Some errors are egregious and Gomes's failure to make an easy catch in the 1st inning was just that.  If he makes the catch, the runner still scores from third, but the next out would have ended the inning.  It was in fact a rough first inning for Lester, but it should still have been just one run.  After that, he pitched 6 terrific innings while his teammates failed to hit and committed two more errors, but after each error Lester simply soldiered on.  I think he threw 41 pitches in the first inning, but then just 80 for the next 6--an incredible effort. 

It is amazing how Sox fans can never seem to recognize great pitching by the other team.  Chen had good stuff and was hitting his targets, which is what he had already been doing, which explains his ridiculously low ERA of 1.79.  Good pitching almost always trumps good hitting, and that's especially true when the Sox go against a good lefty. 

Excellent post.  When the other team is shut out it's because of our superior pitching.  When the Sox are shut out it's because this team can't hit.

BTW, have you checked your BDC email?

Sections
Shortcuts