Lester's an Ace huh?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Lester's an Ace huh?

While he may be "OUR" Ace he is not a "TRUE" Ace

Just look at the pathetic state of our pitching staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Let's go back and remember Pedro was a slow starter. But Andre' does not like Pedro either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Lester's an Ace huh?:
    [QUOTE]Well, that's what I will remember him for. I haven't seen any changes to his persona that would lead me to believe that he has changed but to your point, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Comon... you must had seen something on the opening day from Lester.  He was an ace.. And you might say "yes.. he WAS an ace.." and yes you are right he WAS an ace on that day but no one can say he won't be an ace for the rest of the season. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Lester's four years as a full time starter:
    IP ERA WHIP BAA
    2008 210 3.21 1.27 .256
    2009 203 3.41 1.23 .242
    2010 208 3.25 1.20 .220
    2011 192 3.47 1.26 .234

You're right ... he's awful.  Let's blow up this team and start over.  When they start playing well again I am sure you will feel proud to wear your pink hat in public.  If you want to be taken seriously, you should have posted this poor excuse for a thread back on April 12th.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Andrewmitch,

I think you need to lighten up a little. The proper response to the disguise and return to the dugout is a chuckle. Yes, he broke the rule...but come on now. Relax.

As for Lester, he's a solid LHP with a history of slow starts. I have no problem with him as the Sox #2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorieger. Show scorieger's posts

In response to "Lester's an Ace huh?": [QUOTE]Come on, where are all the "Lester is an Ace" supporters? I could use a good laugh this morning Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Never thought he was an ace, bit he's a very good pitcher who generally stinks it up in April, and is prone to losing his mechanics from time to time. Look how bad Lincecum has been (though Lester isn't in the same category).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, it certainly is tough to watch the Sox try to workout their early-season issues.

But it is fantastic to see that Andrewmitch is already in midseason form.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester's an Ace huh? : Where would Lester be in the pecking order if he were on the yankees, rays, tigers, rangers, angels, phillies, nationals, diamondbacks, giants - he'd be about the #5-man right now.......He's the Sox #1.  Nuff said. 

Past 4 yrs..

CC Sabathia (NYY ACE) - 76-23, 56% WIN%, 136 GS, 3.05 ERA
    James Shields (TBR ACE) - 54-47, 41% WIN%, 132 GS, 3.87 ERA
    Justin Verlander (DET ACE) - 72-40, 53% WIN%, 135 GS, 3.45 ERA

Jered Weaver (LAA ACE) - 58-38, 45% WIN%, 130 GS, 3.30 ERA
    Roy Halladay (PHI ACE) - 77-37, 59% WIN%, 130 GS, 2.59 ERA
    Tim Lincecum (SFG ACE) - 62-36, 47% WIN%, 131 GS, 2.81 ERA

Jon Lester (OUR ACE) - 65-32, 47% WIN%, 138 GS, 3.33 ERA

These are league's top ACEs.  You really are a fool....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester and Beckett are "Aces" on about 15-20 teams.

I guess it depends on what you define "ace" as.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester's an Ace huh? : Past 4 yrs.. CC Sabathia (NYY ACE) - 76-23, 56% WIN%, 136 GS, 3.05 ERA James Shields (TBR ACE) - 54-47, 41% WIN%, 132 GS, 3.87 ERA Justin Verlander (DET ACE) - 72-40, 53% WIN%, 135 GS, 3.45 ERA Jered Weaver (LAA ACE) - 58-38, 45% WIN%, 130 GS, 3.30 ERA Roy Halladay (PHI ACE) - 77-37, 59% WIN%, 130 GS, 2.59 ERA Tim Lincecum (SFG ACE) - 62-36, 47% WIN%, 131 GS, 2.81 ERA Jon Lester (OUR ACE) - 65-32, 47% WIN%, 138 GS, 3.33 ERA These are league's top ACEs.  You really are a fool....
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]  Where's Felix Hernandez?  He's certainly one of the premier starting pitchers in the game today despite pitching for a very bad team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Oh no, not this again...
    Let's do an exercise in history, shall we?

Jon Lester, season by season ERA splits:
    First 4 starts: 5.40
    Final 27 stars: 2.82

First 8 starts: 6.51
    Final 24 starts: 2.48

First 3 starts: 8.44
    Final 29 starts: 2.81

First 13 starts: 3.98
    Final 18 starts, including 2 terrible September starts: 3.10

Everyone needs to understand this simple fact: Jon Lester is a slow starter. And it's not just in the numbers, it's in the scouting report...his command refines itself over time, his velocity improves, etc. I'm sure he's tried to make adjustments to his spring training regiment, but it looks like real game action is the only way for him to really get started.

But here's what is also overlooked here: given his final numbers every year, a slow start means he's REALLY awesome the rest of the season (he also has a career 2.57 postseason ERA). While consistency is a nice thing, any manager and team would take a slow starter over a slow finisher.

And ANY team would take a guy who has put up ERAs of 3.21 (210.1 IP), 3.41 203.1 IP), 3.25 (208 IP), and 3.47 (191.2 IP) in Fenway Park and in the AL East. You compare him to Lincecum's and Cain's and Hernandez's, and while I won't say he's better or even equal to any of those guys, I will also say you can't directly compare their numbers.

Jon Lester is an ace...for those of you who don't like that statement, get over it! He's not the cream of the elite crop, but being an "ace" does NOT mean "top 5 pitcher". In fact, he IS a "cream of the elite crop" pitcher, once he warms up...so basically, we have to deal with a hit-and-miss pitcher who still eats innings for a few weeks every year, and then we get one of the very best pitchers in baseball (elite ace, not just ace) for the rest of the season. I'll take it.

And while some of you might be ready to jump ship on him, I've been very encouraged with his start so far, since I happen to look at the big picture. He's faced two excellent lineups on the road in his first two starts and gave up only 4 earned runs in 15 innings). So far, the only real issue has been getting bludgeoned by baseball's best lineup that is also scorching hot (excusable) and one bad inning again the Twins (not so excusable, but also not surprising for those who actually pay attention to Lester's career and baseball in general). His K rate is down, his BB rate is up...these things will correct themselves.

Last year was actually a bad year for him...even when he was pitching well, his command wasn't as usual. Once you see him spotting fastballs on both sides of the plate, get ready for him to run off an impressive win streak for the team (and if it's mid-May and his command is still spotty, then you'll be right to be concerned).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Lester's an Ace huh?": Never thought he was an ace, bit he's a very good pitcher who generally stinks it up in April, and is prone to losing his mechanics from time to time. Look how bad Lincecum has been (though Lester isn't in the same category).
    Posted by scorieger[/QUOTE]

If Lester pitched in a different division (especially an NL one), his numbers would be much improved...he would be an annual 2.85 or so ERA guy, pitch around 215-225 innings a year, and people would rave about him as one of baseball's best.

Because we live in a fantasy stats world (and I'm not insulting that...I love FBB), people are concerned only about absolute performance and have no idea about context.

Because of his slow starts (really, in spite of them), Jon Lester is a second tier ace, after baseball's super-elite. His numbers are hurt by degree of difficulty, but I guarantee you HE doesn't care.

And every year, once Lester exits his slow start, he joins the super-elite for the rest of the season. Despite what "what have you done for me lately?" naysayers croak about, he does step it up in big games, he pitches quality innings, and he wins baseball games. Isn't that what he gets paid for?

Speaking of pay...he's making $7.625M this year...$11.625M next year...and $13M in his contract's final year. Why is HE the one people are complaining about?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Jon Lester: 48th highest paid SP in baseball.

By my count, there are no more than about a dozen of those ahead of him who are better than he is (and I'd say a few of those dozen are actually his equal at best, but it's too close to say for sure at this point).

So he's a gigantic value, and at worst he's in the 10-20 range for best SPs in baseball. I suppose if you define an "ace" as a "top 10 pitcher", Lester MAY not be one...but assuming you don't go with such a silly, narrow definition...case closed?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[QUOTE]Oh no, not this again... Let's do an exercise in history, shall we? Jon Lester, season by season ERA splits: 2008 First 4 starts: 5.40 Final 27 stars: 2.82 2009 First 8 starts: 6.51 Final 24 starts: 2.48 2010 First 3 starts: 8.44 Final 29 starts: 2.81 2011 First 13 starts: 3.98 Final 18 starts, including 2 terrible September starts: 3.10 Everyone needs to understand this simple fact: Jon Lester is a slow starter . And it's not just in the numbers, it's in the scouting report...his command refines itself over time, his velocity improves, etc. I'm sure he's tried to make adjustments to his spring training regiment, but it looks like real game action is the only way for him to really get started. But here's what is also overlooked here: given his final numbers every year, a slow start means he's REALLY awesome the rest of the season (he also has a career 2.57 postseason ERA). While consistency is a nice thing, any manager and team would take a slow starter over a slow finisher. And ANY team would take a guy who has put up ERAs of 3.21 (210.1 IP), 3.41 203.1 IP), 3.25 (208 IP), and 3.47 (191.2 IP) in Fenway Park and in the AL East . You compare him to Lincecum's and Cain's and Hernandez's, and while I won't say he's better or even equal to any of those guys, I will also say you can't directly compare their numbers . Jon Lester is an ace...for those of you who don't like that statement, get over it! He's not the cream of the elite crop, but being an "ace" does NOT mean "top 5 pitcher". In fact, he IS a "cream of the elite crop" pitcher, once he warms up...so basically, we have to deal with a hit-and-miss pitcher who still eats innings for a few weeks every year, and then we get one of the very best pitchers in baseball (elite ace, not just ace) for the rest of the season. I'll take it . And while some of you might be ready to jump ship on him, I've been very encouraged with his start so far, since I happen to look at the big picture. He's faced two excellent lineups on the road in his first two starts and gave up only 4 earned runs in 15 innings). So far, the only real issue has been getting bludgeoned by baseball's best lineup that is also scorching hot (excusable) and one bad inning again the Twins (not so excusable, but also not surprising for those who actually pay attention to Lester's career and baseball in general). His K rate is down, his BB rate is up...these things will correct themselves. Last year was actually a bad year for him...even when he was pitching well, his command wasn't as usual. Once you see him spotting fastballs on both sides of the plate, get ready for him to run off an impressive win streak for the team (and if it's mid-May and his command is still spotty, then you'll be right to be concerned).
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Excellent post

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Andrew, 

agree that Lester is not an Ace if you want to talk world class lights out number one starter. 

on the other hand, he's pretty low on the list of current daunting problems this team has, wouldn't you agree? Let's get this in a bit of perspective, I know that's a challenge for you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Oh no, not this again... Let's do an exercise in history, shall we? Jon Lester, season by season ERA splits: 2008 First 4 starts: 5.40 Final 27 stars: 2.82 2009 First 8 starts: 6.51 Final 24 starts: 2.48 2010 First 3 starts: 8.44 Final 29 starts: 2.81 2011 First 13 starts: 3.98 Final 18 starts, including 2 terrible September starts: 3.10 Everyone needs to understand this simple fact: Jon Lester is a slow starter . And it's not just in the numbers, it's in the scouting report...his command refines itself over time, his velocity improves, etc. I'm sure he's tried to make adjustments to his spring training regiment, but it looks like real game action is the only way for him to really get started. But here's what is also overlooked here: given his final numbers every year, a slow start means he's REALLY awesome the rest of the season (he also has a career 2.57 postseason ERA). While consistency is a nice thing, any manager and team would take a slow starter over a slow finisher. And ANY team would take a guy who has put up ERAs of 3.21 (210.1 IP), 3.41 203.1 IP), 3.25 (208 IP), and 3.47 (191.2 IP) in Fenway Park and in the AL East . You compare him to Lincecum's and Cain's and Hernandez's, and while I won't say he's better or even equal to any of those guys, I will also say you can't directly compare their numbers . Jon Lester is an ace...for those of you who don't like that statement, get over it! He's not the cream of the elite crop, but being an "ace" does NOT mean "top 5 pitcher". In fact, he IS a "cream of the elite crop" pitcher, once he warms up...so basically, we have to deal with a hit-and-miss pitcher who still eats innings for a few weeks every year, and then we get one of the very best pitchers in baseball (elite ace, not just ace) for the rest of the season. I'll take it . And while some of you might be ready to jump ship on him, I've been very encouraged with his start so far, since I happen to look at the big picture. He's faced two excellent lineups on the road in his first two starts and gave up only 4 earned runs in 15 innings). So far, the only real issue has been getting bludgeoned by baseball's best lineup that is also scorching hot (excusable) and one bad inning again the Twins (not so excusable, but also not surprising for those who actually pay attention to Lester's career and baseball in general). His K rate is down, his BB rate is up...these things will correct themselves. Last year was actually a bad year for him...even when he was pitching well, his command wasn't as usual. Once you see him spotting fastballs on both sides of the plate, get ready for him to run off an impressive win streak for the team (and if it's mid-May and his command is still spotty, then you'll be right to be concerned).
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

He's a slow starter AND HE'S A WEAK FINISHER TOO.......

4 of 6 Sept Starts were stinkers

then check out his inconsistency in the post season too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He is nowhere near an ace. Verlander, Halladay, Lee, Cain, Lincecum, Strasburg, Hernandez. Those guys are aces.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

ANDREWMITCH so he doesn't care about games in April and September? And if he doesn't care why would he be a cry baby? Why would he get upset about things he doesn't care about? It's one or the other. Ok just admit it... you don't know what your talking about... please let us know when that changes.

I love fans who constanstly whine about spoiled athletes yet spend countless hours and money on watching them. Would it kill you to read a book.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lester's an Ace huh? : He's a slow starter AND HE'S A WEAK FINISHER TOO....... 4 of 6 Sept Starts were stinkers then check out his inconsistency in the post season too

dude, redsoxu just blew you out of the water. just let it go. The man is an ACE! Lester is no weak finisher.. he had ONE bad september, keep in mind EVERYONE on the team save big numbah two and pedey played like trash.

also redsoxu pointed out that lester has a 2.57ERA in the post season... inconsistent? doesn't sound like that to me.....

Sections
Shortcuts