Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments

Bobby V said Lester threw the ball great. So did Salty. Lester said he pitched great. 

Am I missing something?  Did I watch the wrong game? Yes he didn't give up runs in innings 1-5, but he blew up in innings 6 and 7. He took another loss and he was outpitched at home by Ryan Dempster.

He threw 116 pitches in 6 2/3 IP, 50 of which were balls.
    He gave up 4 ER in 6 2/3, not good.

Part of having a good outing is efficiency and he is one of the least efficient pitchers in baseball.

Just comical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments

4 more runs !!!!  ERA says it all !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

4 runs in 6.2 is only one run over a quality start. The correct  spelling is delusional.

I get the feeling that you are not really a Red Sox fan since you rarely do anything but whine, moan, and bi-tch all of the time and flood the front page with it daily. Let others start threads once in awhile.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lester is his own worst enemy. He's staring down the umpires on balls called that were really balls! One was not even close to being a strike, and he's acting like it's the end of the world.

I think he should be fined (by the team). He's infuriating the umpires before he even takes the mound. Somebody should sit him down and tell him how Williams treated the umpires. And did he ever get the calls! As did Greg Maddox! Umpires are human, and I have no doubt that Lester, Ortiz, Aviles, for example, are doing the team no good with their childish behaviour. To his credit, I think Big Papi has improved enough so maybe he shouldn't be in the same boat with the others, and I hope that continues when he gets back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

In Response to Re: Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments:
    Lester is his own worst enemy. He's staring down the umpires on balls called that were really balls! One was not even close to being a strike, and he's acting like it's the end of the world. I think he should be fined (by the team). He's infuriating the umpires before he even takes the mound. Somebody should sit him down and tell him how Williams treated the umpires. And did he ever get the calls! As did Greg Maddox! Umpires are human, and I have no doubt that Lester, Ortiz, Aviles, for example, are doing the team no good with their childish behaviour. To his credit, I think Big Papi has improved enough so maybe he shouldn't be in the same boat with the others, and I hope that continues when he gets back.
    Posted by bosoxmal

Sounds like your dislike of Lester wins out here. Most fans would question the umpire also. It wouldn't be an open and shut case like you have done. Does it make you feel good to give the unpite the benefit of the doubt instead of someone on YOUR team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

In Response to Re: Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments : Sounds like your dislike of Lester wins out here. Most fans would question the umpire also. It wouldn't be an open and shut case like you have done. Does it make you feel good to give the unpite the benefit of the doubt instead of someone on YOUR team?
    Posted by Clamshack

Where's questioning the umpire going to get you? Fair or not, showing up the umpire and expressing your displeasure over calls is going to get you on their bad side and then you won't get the close calls anymore. Be a professional and have a subtle conversation walking off the field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

4 runs in 6.2 is only one run over a quality start. The correct  spelling is delusional. I get the feeling that you are not really a Red Sox fan since you rarely do anything but whine, moan, and bi-tch all of the time and flood the front page with it daily. Let others start threads once in awhile.
    Posted by Clamshack

Ummm...Mikey? Lester had a pro-rated ERA of 5.40 for yesterday's game. While thats certainly a performance I would wish upon your Yankees, its not something thats acceptable for the Red Sox. Lester ended up stinking, as usual.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Questioning the umpire continually shows how insecure you're feeling, blaming others for your own shortcomings.  Be a man.  Lester and Beckett with their necklaces and attitudes and lousy pitching performances are a real drag.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Can anyone tell me when the last time Lester won a game. He is no longer an ace and is giving up at least 4 runs a game. Look at the ERA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Can anyone tell me when the last time Lester won a game. He is no longer an ace and is giving up at least 4 runs a game. Look at the ERA.
    Posted by AL34

Sure. June 27 vs Toronto when he gave up four runs in 7 innings (game ERA of 5.14) but his team got 10 for him. What a stiff.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester did his job.

Thats delusional, unless doing your job consists of a game ERA of 5.40. Thats not going to be good enough on most nights, which is why Losester hasn't won a game since June 27. He has a lot of work to do to elevate his game and become a borderline #5 SP.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

Four runs in six plus innings isn't really that bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

4 runs in 6.2 is only one run over a quality start. The correct  spelling is delusional. I get the feeling that you are not really a Red Sox fan since you rarely do anything but whine, moan, and bi-tch all of the time and flood the front page with it daily. Let others start threads once in awhile.
    Posted by Clamshack

Only 1 run over a quality start? 33% more runs. 116 pitches in 6 2/3. Think about that. That argument doesn't hold water. A quality start is a quality start. If it's one run over, it's not a quality start. Period.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The sad part is we are reduced to arguing over whether it's a "not that bad start" or an "okay start" or a "lousy start" for Lester.

I think we mostly have given up on ever seeing a "good start" from this rotation unless it's Buchholz, Morales or Dubront.

Almost half the rotation has pitched reasonably well.

How many times this season have the Red Sox had a start that we can all agree was a "good start?"...maybe once a week....this is why this now mostly healthy team is struggling to stay above .500. We thought the bullpen might be a weakness, but guess again. Add up the wins from Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka and Lackey ( I know two have been injured, but they are not contributing when they do pitch, anyway) , then add up what it is costing to keep this foursome of "aces" and I think if I was John Henry, I might start to get upset....when I got back from my vacation in England.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Thats delusional, unless doing your job consists of a game ERA of 5.40. Thats not going to be good enough on most nights, which is why Losester hasn't won a game since June 27 What's delusional is using "game ERA" over a fraction of a single season. W/L record has little to do with pitching performance. It's about pitching well enough to give your offense a chance to win the game. Lester held the Rangers to zero runs in 5 innings and 2 runs in 6 innings. Pal, that's good enough to give the pitiful offense a chance to win, but not good enough for an offense that put up a bunch of zeroes for the 6 strong innings that Lester provided in the park with the little league wall in LF. Get some of this delusion. Ellsbury and Crawford cost almost 30 million a year and they got on base 1 out of 8 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The starting middle of the order hitters behind those two prima donna bums had 6 hits!!!!!!!!!!!!! And not one, not one, not one RBI!!!!!!!!!!!!  
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Softy - Please. Does baseball end in the 5th inning? If not, giving up 0 runs in those innings means nothing. He blew up, he's 5-10 and his ERA is over 5. So you are telling me his pitching performance has been good this year even though he's 5-10? HA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Four runs in six plus innings isn't really that bad.
    Posted by Fenwayjimy

Really? It's an ERA of 5.40. Is that good? Is 116 pitches in 6 2/3 good? Is a 66/50 ratio of strikes/balls good?

Answer those three questions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

Well then let's say that Lester wasn't as horrible that ADG and many others here love to portray him as. Many games are won when our starter gives up four runs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Red Sox win over 80% of the games they score 4ER or more. They lose over 80% of the games they fail to score 4ER. Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    This would tend to happen when the staff ERA is around 4.30.....hard to win games when you score less than 4 runs if the staff is always giving up more than 4....especially when the staff ERA for the 1st inning is 6.50....the starters have puts the offense in a hole constantly.....but according to you it is the offenses fault for not scoring more runs, even though they are 1st or sscond in the league in scoring runs?....doesnt add up no matter what stats you cherry pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments : The Red Sox win over 80% of the games they score 4ER or more. They lose over 80% of the games they fail to score 4ER. Posted by TrotterNixon
    This would tend to happen when the staff ERA is around 4.30.....hard to win games when you score less than 4 runs if the staff is always giving up more than 4....especially when the staff ERA for the 1st inning is 6.50....the starters have puts the offense in a hole constantly.....but according to you it is the offenses fault for not scoring more runs, even though they are 1st or sscond in the league in scoring runs?....doesnt add up no matter what stats you cherry pick.
    Posted by tomnev
    +1

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

You're both right if you realize that the offense is sporadic and is skewed by some blowouts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

folks he is having a bad year it happens Verlander lost 17 one year.
    Get over it and stop your complaining it won't change anything he will continue to pitch.

BTW if he does win his last 8 starts people will still complain it is too little to late.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Pretty amazing when the OP is told how to spell delusional and he refuses to change it.

That said, I somewhat agree Lester did not have a good outing.  I think he and Bobby V over-value that fast ball, which back up around 95mph or so when he needs, and under value breaking balls.  Lester needs an effective curve ball and an effective changeup, both of which will help keep hitters off balance.  Right now he throws a steady diet of fastballs and cutters, and hitters adjust to them early or late, but they do adjust and then hit him hard.

The Sox hitting was, granted, awful.  But Dempsey was throwing good breaking balls--even his fastballs had movement--that were giving the Sox hitters fits. 

Today Beckett has the same problem.  He loves the same pitches opposing hitters love and has given up 6 runs in 5 innings. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Lester's Outing and the Dillusional Comments : Nice try.  I guess we can expect 1 and 2 run outings in the next couple of weeks.  Meanwhile, I noticed two things.  First, despite rolling through the first five innings with a low pitch count, he quickly exhausted himself in the next inning +.  This tells me he does indeed lack confidence when anything goes wrong--like, perish the thought, a runner gets on base.  What to do?  What to do?  Second, all he wants to throw is the cutter and the fastball.  Changeups and curves are waste pitches for him, not pitches he can rely on to get someone out.   A weak or lousy changeup is a liability for a lefty.   
    Posted by maxbialystock

So far, so good :)

• Sections
    Shortcuts