Lester's problem is no changeup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lester's problem is no changeup

I know he has one because he actually threw one in the fourth inning--his first one of the game--and it was a ball. 

So, when you don't have a changeup and you can't throw a curve or slider for strikes, the hitters will sit on the fastball and very slight breaking ball that comes in at 89 or 90. 

First time thru the lineup, no problem.  Second time, big problem. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Lester's problem is no changeup

On the other hand, he just threw a couple of changeups, a sinker, and had a very good 5th inning.  Well done, Lester. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Max, I think even if a pitcher has a good changeup, Major League hitters are going to sit on the fastball.

But, you are correct that if he did develope confidence in this pitch it could be a big plus.

Starting pitchers need to have four pitches minimum. Most rely on the basic four: fastball, curve, slider, changeup.

I have noticed over the years that Lester has a tendency to "fall in love" with his Cutter. Unlike Mariano, Lester is a starter, and his Cutter isn't as good as Rivera's.

Starting pitchers who do not have more than one "out pitch" tend to have two choices:

A. become relievers.

B. become Minor League pitchers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Max, I think even if a pitcher has a good changeup, Major League hitters are going to sit on the fastball.

But, you are correct that if he did develope confidence in this pitch it could be a big plus.

Starting pitchers need to have four pitches minimum. Most rely on the basic four: fastball, curve, slider, changeup.

I have noticed over the years that Lester has a tendency to "fall in love" with his Cutter. Unlike Mariano, Lester is a starter, and his Cutter isn't as good as Rivera's.

Starting pitchers who do not have more than one "out pitch" tend to have two choices:

A. become relievers.

I think Lester has proven that he has the pitches to be a very effective Major League starter.

Of course he falls in love w his cutter!  His cutter is his best pitch!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

A. become relievers.

according to softlaw, a starting pitcher only needs 2

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

5 innings and 2 runs/96 pitches...not great but i will take it on the first day of the season in evil empire stadium

btw i have been predicting CC's implosion for some time....i hope his girth finally catches up with him

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

5 innings and 2 runs/96 pitches...not great but i will take it on the first day of the season in evil empire stadium

btw i have been predicting CC's implosion for some time....i hope his girth finally catches up with him

Agree on both counts.

As an aside, I once gave CC directions from Winter Haven to the Florida Turnpike -- he was going to Miami on an off day when he was in his first camp with Cleveland. Had I known he was going to end up with the Yankees, maybe I would have sent him the wrong way.

Sections
Shortcuts