Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?

Love throwing out polls..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?

In Response to Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?:
    Posted by seannybboi

I hate to keep "beating a dead horse" but think about our staff with Garza as the final piece.

Starting rotation:
    Josh, Jon, Clay, Matt, Aceves, Bard, Dice later in the year.  A srong return from Dice could really add serious depth to starting rotation and pen with Aceves, Dice or Bard.

I'm really really impressed with Bens initial moves a lot, one more like Garza and a RH OF bat makes us a very strong contender if we can stay healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Beckett for Garza and a prospect would be nice, but Garza for four top prospects is not going to happen for several reasons, not the least of which is the luxury tax threshold.  And if you get Garza for Beckett you still need another starter.

Looking at the peripheral stats you posted (that was very informative, thanks), Kuroda has to be the choice if he can be had for an incentive laden deal.  Then Ben needs to shed some salary somehow.

Trading Beckett for Garza and then signing Kuroda solves both issues.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

obviously BenC thinks Aceves & Bard can start given his recent moves....but trading Beckett for Garza would remove the final stench from the 2011 team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Saunders....He's cheap, he doesn't walk people, and he will give you 200+ innings.

What more could you ever want from a 4,5 guy???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?:
    Saunders....He's cheap, he doesn't walk people, and he will give you 200+ innings. What more could you ever want from a 4,5 guy???
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

agree..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Saunders doesn't walk people because he is too busy letting them get hits.  And his HRs allowed is atrocious.  He would be awful in Fenway.  You could get Wakefield for a lot less and about the same production.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?:
    Beckett for Garza and a prospect would be nice, but Garza for four top prospects is not going to happen for several reasons, not the least of which is the luxury tax threshold.  And if you get Garza for Beckett you still need another starter. Looking at the peripheral stats you posted (that was very informative, thanks), Kuroda has to be the choice if he can be had for an incentive laden deal.  Then Ben needs to shed some salary somehow. Trading Beckett for Garza and then signing Kuroda solves both issues.
    Posted by parhunter1

Good idea and point par, I just don't see us trading Josh unless he has a hard time accepting change.  Kuroda is a thought if he can handle the big division which I'm a bit skeptical about.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

craze, there is skepticism in all of the possibilities.  Kuroda has the best peripherals, other than Garza, so I'd prefer to gamble on him, if he can be had for an incentive-laden deal.

I laid out my fears on Josh in another thread, but I see him as a potential disruption of the kind that could sabotage Bobby V.  In short, Josh has the personality and personal habits that I think could really push Bobby's buttons, based on Bobby's past.  And I don't see either guy backing down much.  The problem is that Josh is a presumptive leader and one of the highest paid professionals on the team.  There is a real potential, IMO, of bad blood between them.  So, if I could trade Josh for a slightly lesser talent with a more reasonable contract, I would do it in a second if I ran the team, which of course I do not.

Do I think Josh will be traded?  No.  I doubt Theo makes such a deal because of the financial burden of Josh's contract and Josh's known inconsistency.  Garza is more consistent, younger and cheaper and he is considering trading him.  But I think the Sox may regret not having traded Josh by the end of 2012.  Just my hunch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Garza is the guy for me and I think you can get him if you offer the Cubs a deal that gives them something in return... lets say Sweeny(just aquired from A's) and a pitching prospect not named Barnes.

The Cubs promissed a substantial payment for Theo and this is it, and they can sell it to their fans if you give them a major league piece like Sweeny and a pitcher who is a year or two away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Saunders doesn't walk people because he is too busy letting them get hits.  And his HRs allowed is atrocious.  He would be awful in Fenway.  You could get Wakefield for a lot less and about the same production.
    Posted by parhunter1

Yes but he has a high GB% and still has great control...would you rather having a guy giving you a 4-4.5 era who doesn't walk anybody and can go 6,7+ innings at the end of the rotation or a guy who will give you a 4-4.5 era and walks everyone and goes 5-6 innings at the back end of the rotation?

Innings pitched is a pretty valuable stat in my eyes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Beckett for Garza and a prospect would be nice, but Garza for four top prospects is not going to happen for several reasons, not the least of which is the luxury tax threshold.  And if you get Garza for Beckett you still need another starter. Looking at the peripheral stats you posted (that was very informative, thanks), Kuroda has to be the choice if he can be had for an incentive laden deal.  Then Ben needs to shed some salary somehow. Trading Beckett for Garza and then signing Kuroda solves both issues. Posted by parhunter1

I'm with you parhunter.

The "Three Amigos" need to be broken up but I have no suggestions.

I'll trust in Ben Cherington to get it right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Let suppose Bard gets the rotation spot. Who's the one missing piece?:
    Posted by seannybboi

I think you've put the Sox Front Office into a box.
    Then again I'd suggest you stalk Ben Cherington and when he least expects it whisper your suggestions in his ear...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Wakefield staying near his phone.    Will work for $2MM which is music to Lucchino's ears.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Wakefield is barely worth 1M at this point. (if that)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I would doubt Beckett gets dealt even if just for the reason that Ben traded for him back in 2006...

Garza would be awesome though if Ben can somehow expand it into a larger Theo compensation deal...

He has already shown he can control AL East lineups and when he's on, some guys looks silly against him...

The only thing I hate is that he literally spits all the time...

It's annoying...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Considering the cost of acquiring pitchers not already on the roster (either $$$ or prospects), I like Ace in the rotation.  I think our pen will be just fine without Bard or Ace.  Also, if Dice comes back and can pitch in late June we will have lots of options to upgrade this team via trades ... and at a much lower cost than now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

I look for Epstein to propose this deal:  compensation for Epstein  included in offer of Garza for Doubront.  Eh?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would rather get Oswalt for one year then Garza for multiple years.....then go after Cole Hamels next year....plus Oswalt costs you $....Garza costs you $ and prospects.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Oswalt or Kuroda for me, for much the same reasons you cite, tomnev.  Whichever will come in with for the least guaranteed amount and most incentive-laden deal.  Kuroda is my preference since he actually pitched a full season last year and had the better WHIP.

Sections
Shortcuts