Let the fun begin!!! OFFICIAL RED SOX FA THREAD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Let the fun begin!!! OFFICIAL RED SOX FA THREAD

Post and comment on all news and rumors RIGHT HERE!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Let the fun begin!!! OFFICIAL RED SOX FA THREAD

Now that papi is all set for the next 2 years Lets see if a 3/21 deal for Ross gets it done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Rumor has it the Sox still want Haren.... they just thought he was a better value in free agency. The Angels probably asked for Tazawa and the Sox probably said, "Screw this!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I like Sanchez better than Haren but Haren will probably be a better value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Napoli didn't get a QO from the Rangers. Red Sox really go after him now?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is only a small handful of free agents out there who can make  a significant difference. There are quite a few over-hyped , overpriced mediocrities. Ben needs to be smart about this. We have money to spend, but he must spend it wisely.  I think it would be smart to take a good look at the International free agent market, as well. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Angels tried all week to trade Haren, but in the end declined his $15.5 million option for 2013, buying him out for $3.5 million and setting him off into the free-agent market now that the exclusive negotiating window is over. Hours earlier, they also decided not to tender veteran outfielder Torii Hunter a $13.3 million qualifying offer, which means they won't get Draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.

Both players badly want to return to the Angels, and have said they'd do so at a discounted rate, but Dipoto admitted that the chances of that happening aren't very good.

[/QUOTE]

Hunter has said that he is open to playing for the Red Sox, as he is tight with Ortiz. The Sox have always been interested in Haren, and I'm sure that he'd love to play in a winning environment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

" I'm sure that he'd love to play in a winning environment."

Are you certain Boston holds that appeal?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Read that the Angels might have been asking for Lackey and forcing Wells on us.  As much as I'd like to jettison Lackey, that would have been a bad deal.

Sox should sign Ross, Hunter, Haren, A. Sanchez and Napoli.  Trade Doubront for Andrus,Salty or Lavarnway for a top closer and go to spring training.

DH Ortiz

C Lavarnway (or Salty)/Napoli

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Andrus/Iglesias

LF Ross

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

SP:  Lester, Buchholz, Sanchez, Haren, Lackey  with Morales, De La Rosa in wings.

RP:  New closer, Bailey, Melancon, Tazawa, Miller, Breslow, Hill?, Mortenson?

They'd win more than lose with this roster, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Read that the Angels might have been asking for Lackey and forcing Wells on us.  As much as I'd like to jettison Lackey, that would have been a bad deal.

Sox should sign Ross, Hunter, Haren, A. Sanchez and Napoli.  Trade Doubront for Andrus,Salty or Lavarnway for a top closer and go to spring training.

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Andrus/Iglesias

LF Ross

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

SP:  Lester, Buchholz, Sanchez, Haren, Lackey  with Morales, De La Rosa in wings.

[/QUOTE]

why do we need a new closer? bailey never had a chance yet...i like bailey as the closer...why add what we already have? that's waisting money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of advatnages to Sanchez, but I would expect him to get 5 years $80mill.   If we are getting that committed into free agency, why not just go after Greinke?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of advatnages to Sanchez, but I would expect him to get 5 years $80mill.   If we are getting that committed into free agency, why not just go after Greinke?

[/QUOTE]

The Angels, Dodgers and Rangers all have Greinke on their radar, so my guess is that the deal ends up being something in the neighborhood of 6/130.  There's no way the Sox are going anywhere near that for a guy with "issues."  Besides, judging from an interview in Milwaukee last year, I don't think Greinke would have any interest at all in coming to Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Andrus/Iglesias

LF Ross

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

[/QUOTE]

Five big money free agents?  Might as well have kept Crawford, AGon and Beckett.

Very doubtful Texas surrenders Andrus for Doubront.  Doubront has some nice selling points, but as of today, his pitching is farily mediocre.

If anything, the Sox should be SELLING bullpen, not buying.  As it stands right now, the team has Aceves, Bailey, Bard, Tazawa, Melancon, Breslow, Morales, Miller, and Mortenson with no otpions. And decsions to make on Atchison and Hill.  Plus Carpenter, Stewart, Kurcz, Fields knocking on the door in Pawtucket.

And most of those guys are actually pretty good. The last thing they need is more bullpen arms.  Unless they can go to Pawtucket for a while...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Disagree.  They do need a bona fide closer.  And if they can get one by trading an existing player, there is not much money spent on the deal, leaving the money to go to the starting pitching, which is the real achilles heel of the team. 

I like Bailey and want to give him a chance to find his effectiveness.  And if the Sox are truly interested in a bridge year, then they can afford him that opportunity.  But if they want to compete for a WC spot next year, they need to get a real ace for the bullpen and hang on to Bailey as the setup guy, along with Melancon, perhaps.  Maybe they end up with two closers.  It has been done.  The Reds did it for several years back in the 70.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Disagree.  They do need a bona fide closer.  And if they can get one by trading an existing player, there is not much money spent on the deal, leaving the money to go to the starting pitching, which is the real achilles heel of the team. 

I like Bailey and want to give him a chance to find his effectiveness.  And if the Sox are truly interested in a bridge year, then they can afford him that opportunity.  But if they want to compete for a WC spot next year, they need to get a real ace for the bullpen and hang on to Bailey as the setup guy, along with Melancon, perhaps.  Maybe they end up with two closers.  It has been done.  The Reds did it for several years back in the 70.

[/QUOTE]

Most teams did not have deciated closers until the 70s, and until the lat 80s, they frequently pitched more than 3 outs.

Nowadays, closers are very overblown.  The Sox currently have 5 pitchers on their roster (Bailey, Melancon, Bard, Aceves, Morales) with some closing experience. 

They acquired Bailey to do the job, and he certainly has a good track record (All Star, ROY).  Last year, he was nor so great, but then, he was coming off a thumb injury.  Did people really expect him to step in and be the same guy he was before immediately?   "Healthy enough to be activated" should never be confused with "100% healthy."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Something scares me about Napoli...Not sure what. I know his numbers at Fenway, but still...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

very simple hot stove

1) sign papi

2) sign ross

3) sign grienke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

very simple hot stove

1) sign papi

2) sign ross

3) sign grienke

[/QUOTE]

grienke will not happen...if dodgers are in the bidding...no chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Something scares me about Napoli...Not sure what. I know his numbers at Fenway, but still...

[/QUOTE]

Probably the fact that he has shown to be more likely to hit .220 than .280

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Probably the fact that he has shown to be more likely to hit .220 than .280

[/QUOTE]

Hes not going to be worth what he may get. 1year? maybe...3? No way...If we were going to get a BU catcher and give Lav another year in AAA then Id rather go get David Ross or someone like him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most teams did not have deciated closers until the 70s, and until the lat 80s, they frequently pitched more than 3 outs.

Nowadays, closers are very overblown.  The Sox currently have 5 pitchers on their roster (Bailey, Melancon, Bard, Aceves, Morales) with some closing experience. 

They acquired Bailey to do the job, and he certainly has a good track record (All Star, ROY).  Last year, he was nor so great, but then, he was coming off a thumb injury.  Did people really expect him to step in and be the same guy he was before immediately?   "Healthy enough to be activated" should never be confused with "100% healthy."

[/QUOTE]

Why not just go in-house and have Tazawa close? If he can pitch at that level this year, he will be popular in NE. We could just use Bailey as the shutdown setup man and maybe trade him at the deadline.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like to give Bailey a shot at closing and Tazawa as the set up and keep these arms  in the bullpen Breslow Padilla Morales Acevez Acthison Melancon and still give Bard his second chance to prove himself.

I like to know what kind of contract grienke is seeking in the FA market.

Also what is the situation on Lackey's rehab come next season another big contract not being used on the roster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like to give Bailey a shot at closing and Tazawa as the set up and keep these arms  in the bullpen Breslow Padilla Morales Acevez Acthison Melancon and still give Bard his second chance to prove himself.

I like to know what kind of contract grienke is seeking in the FA market.

Also what is the situation on Lackey's rehab come next season another big contract not being used on the roster.

[/QUOTE]

Funny--I left Miller out of my pen as well---do you have him being traded, starting or just forgot. My answer was I just forgot--yet he was amazing most of last year.

I honestly don't think we should put much emphasis on the last month of 2012--IMO most were so PO'd at BV that that occupied their thoughts. I really think he could have been fired on any given day--there wasn't much to play for. I think BV had mailed it in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

How does 25-year-old lefthander Felix Doubront, with his 4.86 ERA, land 24-year-old two-time All Star shortstop Elvis Andrus?

What top closer can be had for one year of 27-year-old Jarrod Saltalamacchia (with his .288 OBP) or six years of the unproven 25-year-old Ryan Lavarnway (with his .172/.230/.286/.516 line in 209 MLB plate appearances)?

Sections
Shortcuts