Let the fun begin!!! OFFICIAL RED SOX FA THREAD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Let the fun begin!!! OFFICIAL RED SOX FA THREAD

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Angels tried all week to trade Haren, but in the end declined his $15.5 million option for 2013, buying him out for $3.5 million and setting him off into the free-agent market now that the exclusive negotiating window is over. Hours earlier, they also decided not to tender veteran outfielder Torii Hunter a $13.3 million qualifying offer, which means they won't get Draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.

Both players badly want to return to the Angels, and have said they'd do so at a discounted rate, but Dipoto admitted that the chances of that happening aren't very good.

[/QUOTE]

Hunter has said that he is open to playing for the Red Sox, as he is tight with Ortiz. The Sox have always been interested in Haren, and I'm sure that he'd love to play in a winning environment.

[/QUOTE]

That is Hunter's polite way of saying, "Boston now has financial flexibility,....woo hoo!!!"  LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

hill,

I guess I should have been more specific, but Doubront for Andrus probably includes a prospect, just don't know which one so didn't bother to name one.  Lavarnway or Salty probably go with one of the excess relievers.  Again, not knowing which one would go to make room for the closer, I didn't try to name one.  But the essence of the trade is a young and promising catcher for a closer, perhaps one with a few years on him.  And a young lefty starter who showed some real potential for a team that is looking for another arm for their rotation would be a good basis to open talks on Andrus, who is expendable as they are trying to make room for someone younger and with higher upside.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The sox have pretty limited options available in the fa market in terms of batters with the need being corner outfielders and a first basemen. I would give napoli a 2 year deal maybe 3 at 8-10 mill per to play 1B and occasionally catcher and one guy who i wasnt keen on but now like for the outfield is bj upton. yes he did not hit for a high average last year, but he plays above average d and has a strong arm, he has the potential to hit 30+ homers playing in fenway, is younger than most free agent outfielders at age 28, hits doubles and can steal 30-40 bases per year. one thing this team has lacked the last few years is right handed pop. with middlebrooks, napoli, and upton, the sox would be able to do much more damage against lefty pitchers. And there is always the possibility   that the sox deal for say justin upton (a target of the sox in the past). So say we acquire justin upton, our line up could be:

ellsbury

pedroia

j.upton

ortiz

middlebrooks

bj.upton

napoli

salty/lavarnway

iglesias

in terms of pitchers, the is really only a few guys that would interest me on the free agent market, zach grienke and anibal sanchez. 

I doubt the sox sign grienke as much he as would make sense for multiple reasons especially if we are able to move lackeys contract to say the angels. 

Sanchez would be a nice middle of the rotation option

J.Johnson

lester

buchholz

sanchez

doubront/de la rosa

If the sox could sign anibal sanchez(we have the money no doubt), deal lackey(angels have interest), and trade for josh johnson (he is an fa after 2013 season, so price should be more reasonable, that rotation would be pretty good. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The sox have pretty limited options available in the fa market in terms of batters with the need being corner outfielders and a first basemen. I would give napoli a 2 year deal maybe 3 at 8-10 mill per to play 1B and occasionally catcher and one guy who i wasnt keen on but now like for the outfield is bj upton. yes he did not hit for a high average last year, but he plays above average d and has a strong arm, he has the potential to hit 30+ homers playing in fenway, is younger than most free agent outfielders at age 28, hits doubles and can steal 30-40 bases per year. one thing this team has lacked the last few years is right handed pop. with middlebrooks, napoli, and upton, the sox would be able to do much more damage against lefty pitchers. And there is always the possibility   that the sox deal for say justin upton (a target of the sox in the past). So say we acquire justin upton, our line up could be:

ellsbury

pedroia

j.upton

ortiz

middlebrooks

bj.upton

napoli

salty/lavarnway

iglesias

in terms of pitchers, the is really only a few guys that would interest me on the free agent market, zach grienke and anibal sanchez. 

I doubt the sox sign grienke as much he as would make sense for multiple reasons especially if we are able to move lackeys contract to say the angels. 

J.Johnson

lester

buchholz

sanchez

doubront/de la rosa

If the sox could sign anibal sanchez(we have the money no doubt), deal lackey(angels have interest), and trade for josh johnson (he is an fa after 2013 season, so price should be more reasonable, that rotation would be pretty good. 

[/QUOTE]

No, you gotta have the Upton bros. hitting back to back!!! :)

I agree with most of that, but signing B.J. Upton may be too pricey. He will have many other suitors. Trading for Justin Upton is possible, but they will probably ask for AT LEAST Ellsbury in any deal. Again, for Johnson, the price will be through the roof. We could probably sign two of Sanchez, Haren, Lohse, McCarthy, Baker, and Marcum. I like the Napoli move, though.

Interesting thing, though: the Pirates are calling other teams about a major-league ready catcher. They are apparently shopping Hanrahan. I would be in favor of a Salty-for-Hanrahan deal with Pittsburgh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ellsbury

pedroia

j.upton

ortiz

middlebrooks

bj.upton

napoli

salty/lavarnway

iglesias

J.Johnson

lester

buchholz

sanchez

doubront/de la rosa

[/QUOTE]

No, you gotta have the Upton bros. hitting back to back!!! :)

I agree with most of that, but signing B.J. Upton may be too pricey. He will have many other suitors. Trading for Justin Upton is possible, but they will probably ask for AT LEAST Ellsbury in any deal. Again, for Johnson, the price will be through the roof. We could probably sign two of Sanchez, Haren, Lohse, McCarthy, Baker, and Marcum. I like the Napoli move, though.

Interesting thing, though: the Pirates are calling other teams about a major-league ready catcher. They are apparently shopping Hanrahan. I would be in favor of a Salty-for-Hanrahan deal with Pittsburgh.

[/QUOTE]

as would I, though the Sox would have to sign Napoli or some other parttime catcher.  I still think a lockdown bullpen is essential to success, along with a strong starting rotation.  A lockdown bullpen (like Baltimore's) makes the rotation better, and gives the offense a chance to get the team back in it.  And I do not think the current bullpen was lockdown, at all.  Several decent seasons had, but not a sustained run of locking down games long enough for the offense to win it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I think Ben should wait it out, and see what the market dictates. He did that last year and was able to get some some really fine talent. Unfortunately, it was not baseball talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember when Boston signed Big Papi after he played for the Twins, and we all were not sure how much impact he will have with the Boston organization.  Suddenly  he was one of the better DH in the league.

I can foresee Napoli to be a full time DH in the future once Papi walks away or get hurt within two years from now, and will put up a good numbers.

But if Boston want to gamble, they can wait until Papi retires at the same time to hope Napoli is a free agent two years from now.  Then sign him to replace him.  Still why wait.  Get Napoli, and use either Salty or Lavarnway as a trade bait to get pitchings!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Another option could be Ike Davis, who the Mets are considering dealing. I would be willing to trade Doubront, Kalish, and B prospects in order to get him, assuming we go to free agency to plug our pitching holes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Red Sox are "likely" to hire Rick Peterson as pitching coach, according to reports. He is apparently Farrell's top choice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Ben should wait it out, and see what the market dictates. He did that last year and was able to get some some really fine talent. Unfortunately, it was not baseball talent.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting take.  I'll even bite on this one in 50/50 hindsight.  OK, pursuant to your sacracstic bit and ready-for-the-poconos punch line:  who is that Cherrington missed out on last year by waiting and seeing what the market dictated?  Who is it he should have swooped in on?  Just curious as to the specific basis of your witty criticism.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I predict that sometime this offseason the Red Sox will sign a AAAA-type pitcher or utility player for Pawtucket depth. This will constitute irrefutable proof that the front office does not plan on competing in 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I predict that sometime this offseason the Red Sox will sign a AAAA-type pitcher or utility player for Pawtucket depth. This will constitute irrefutable proof that the front office does not plan on competing in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

if they are planning on no-contention for 2013 they will DEFINITELY be more subtle than that. that screams GE GIVE UP! you think  that will fly with the media OR the fans?? no way. if they trade jacoby for anyhting but king felix then it is a bridge year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Oh, wow. The Sox have just turned around and hired Juan Nieves for pitching coach. Farrell had second thoughts on Peterson?

Sections
Shortcuts