Let the rebuilding begin!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dobleD. Show dobleD's posts

Let the rebuilding begin!

As much as I loved Punto, this trade would help rebuild this team big time. I love the arms that we got back especially that De La Rosa character ! All we need for 2013 is a Hamilton signing and break the bank for cano in 2014 ! (long shot I know). We could also package a deal starting with Ellsbury + prospects for a REAL ACE pitcher !! Once again what a heck of a trade !!!!! Cant wait till bogaerts, jackie jr , brentz, barnes all come up to the big show !Let's go sox !! P.s. sorry pink hats but your so called "sellout" might end soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Let the rebuilding begin!

It will also be fun to get younger while da team in da bronx continues to get older......of course, HGH does do wonders to slowing down the aging process.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dobleD. Show dobleD's posts

Not being bias but our farm is in incomparable with the yanks IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

This team now had to address the catching situation, 1st base, pitching, Papi and the OF.
    No small task, but now they have the means to trade prospects, maybe some they got from LA? They can also sign free agents within reason, who fit what they need.
    No more Crawford contracts, giving moderate talent superstar money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Let the rebuilding begin!:
    This team now had to address the catching situation, 1st base, pitching, Papi and the OF. No small task, but now they have the means to trade prospects, maybe some they got from LA? They can also sign free agents within reason, who fit what they need. No more Crawford contracts, giving moderate talent superstar money.
    Posted by rightymclefty

FA to be Mike Napoli solves a lot of the issues you mention

Salty and Lava are still here

Ortiz can get his 2 year deal now

OF - Resinging Ross goes a long way plus we have kids who can play LF

Starters - we can certainly deal for one or sign one....Clay is looking good, Lester is looking better, Doubie will be ready to step up, and yes, even Lackey will be back along w/ Morales to fill in and Matt Barnes waiting to be called up.  Gotta acquire a stud but other than that, we are already better moving forward....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Don't start with the Kalish crap again. He's a AAA player, of a fifth OF at best.
    Ross is a stopgap, and a mediocre fielder.
    Now is the time to explore a trade for Upton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Agreat day for sure ...... Smart baseball/business  !!!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Don't start with the Kalish crap again. He's a AAA player, of a fifth OF at best. Ross is a stopgap, and a mediocre fielder. Now is the time to explore a trade for Upton.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Kalish - maybe the answer maybe not

Ross deserves to be here

Upton would be a problem IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Ross could well be traded before the end of the month.
    Upton is 25 year old. This team needs youth and power/speed players.
    Upton fits the bill. The Sox tried to trade for him before they got Gonzalez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ross could well be traded before the end of the month. Upton is 25 year old. This team needs youth and power/speed players. Upton fits the bill. The Sox tried to trade for him before they got Gonzalez.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Upton is not cheap

Upton is inconsistent

Upton is not a good fielder

Upton has a reputation of being a jerk just like his brother (and like another pair of brothers - the Youngs) - oh boy, alert the Liberals, the racist is back!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Can people STOP writing off Kalish at 24, PLEASE!

When Doubront was 24, people called him nothing more than a bullpen arm. Then he turned 25 this year.

Players NORMALLY start to hit their stride at around 27. People that do it BEFORE then tend to be special players: Longoria, Upton, Lincecum, etc. They don't always maintain that level, but they are exceptional players.

God forbid Kalish only turn into a .275/25-30HR type of guy. Wouldn't want to wait a few years to let it happen...

Pedroia won ROY at, what, 27? Youkillus started making noise when he was 28 I think? Kemp performed for 3 years, then had a down year at 26 and people said he was finished and not committed, how's he been the past 2 years at age 27 and 28?

That kind of impatient attitude is what landed the Sox in such a horrible situation to begin with. Had the Sox exercised some patience in 2010, they would've avoided all of this, and would've been past the 'rebuild' phase and talking about these kids who were almost ready to supplement the team, not now waiting for these same kids to fill gaping holes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Kalish stinks as a fielder, and if he hits 25-30 HRs a year, I'll eat his bat.
    I've watched him at Pawtucket during his stays there, and he's nothing special.
    I'd rather see them throw Brentz into the fire, than go with Kalish.
    Can anyone say why Lin was broght up? I think Ross is going.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was told there "was no way we could ever deal CC".

I was told "blockbuster trades were a thing of the past".

I was told we'd "have to eat mots of CC or Beckett's contracts".

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Although I believe AGon is worth $22M/yr, it's not like he is a "steal" at that price. There really aren't any sure FA 1Bmen available this year, but I'm sure there are several trade options that can bring us a decent Bman at a fraction of the cost.

The big question is whether or not management is committed to spending the most of "saved money" to replace these guys. If not, then losing AGon is going to hurt badly, however, it doesn't mean we will not be competitive next year if we spend only half the money saved.

To stay at about the same salary level as this year, we will have about $90M to spend after our arb players are signed, not counting Papi. I hope we don't repeat our same mistakes with long term deals to players nearing the end of their prime, but with a further stacked farm system, I think we can trade for some higher priced players with shorter term deals that can fill some high need areas.

Here's a framework of what we might have starting next year with perhaps up to $90M to fill in the blanks...
          2013                               2014 and beyond
    C  Salty  (Lava)                  Lava/Swihart
    1B _______ (Gomez)        T. Shaw (possibly Boagerts or Cecchini @ 1B)
    2B Pedey                              Pedey (Coyle, Aviles, Ciriaco...)
    3B Midd(Valencia,Aviles) Middlebrooks/Cecchini
    SS Iggy or Ciriaco (Aviles) Bogaerts, Marrero, Vinicio, T.W. Lin)
    LF ________ (Nava, Linares, Brentz, Owens, Jacobs)
    CF Ellsbury    (Sweeney, Bradley, Kalish, Lin)
    RF _______   (Sweeney, Bradley, Kalish, Lin)
    DH Lava/_______ (Gomez, Nava, Linares, Shaw)

SP ________
    SP Buch
    SP Lester                 (Barnes, Britton, Ranaudo, Workman, Johnson, Light)
    SP ________ (Aceves, Doubront, Morales, Mortensen, Tazawa)
    SP Lackey       (Stewart)
    SP/LR Doubront/Morales

CL  Bailey
    RP  Aceves
    RP  Breslow
    RP  Miller (Morales/Doub)
    RP  Mortensen (Bard)
    RP  Atchison (Tazawa)
    RP  R Hill (Melancon/Carpenter/Beato/Wilson)

High needs in order of importance:

1) Slot 1/2 SP  (Beckett)
    2) 1Bman          (AGon)
    3) RF                   (Ross)
    4) LF                    (CC)
    5) Slot 3/4 SP    (Lackey/Cook/DiceK)
    6) DH                   (Ortiz)

In theory, we could average spending $15M/yr on all these 6 slots and be even. Chances are we will fill at least 1 or 2 from within, most likely Lava at DH and maybe2 of  Sweeney, Kalish, Nava, Linares, Bradley, or Brentz sharing a corner OF position. Again, in theory, that would leave $90M to fill 4 slots or $22M for each of the 4 slots.

I am not advocating signing big named free agents to long term deals this winter, but $90M could get us...

Hamilton  RF ($24-29M/yr) 
    Greinke     SP ($17-22M/yr)
    Montero    C   ($15-20M/yr)- move Salty or Lava to 1B/back-up C
    Marcum/Sanchez/McCarthy  SP  ($10-15M/yr)

I'd rather have 4 from this list than AGon, Beckett, CC, and Papi.

Another option is to trade some of our new prospects with a few of our own for guys like Justin Upton and Jamie Shields- lower cost players with shorter term deals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Upton is not cheap.

Financially, he is:
    12:$6.75M, 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M 

Upton is inconsistent.

He's been between .799 and .899 for 4 straight years until this year, where an injury hurt hhis numbers (.753).

Upton is not a good fielder

He's 12th out of 33 in UZR since 2008 among RF'ers. (15th in UZR/150)

Upton has a reputation of being a jerk just like his brother (and like another pair of brothers - the Youngs) - oh boy, alert the Liberals, the racist is back!!!!!!

softy's back?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I am not advocating signing big named free agents to long term deals this winter, but $90M could get us...

Hamilton RF ($24-29M/yr)
    Greinke SP ($17-22M/yr)
    Montero C ($15-20M/yr)- move Salty or Lava to 1B/back-up C
    Marcum/Sanchez/McCarthy SP ($10-15M/yr)

I'd rather have 4 from this list than AGon, Beckett, CC, and Papi.

Marcum is a guy I would go after. You cannot have too much SP.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dobleD. Show dobleD's posts

I would steer away from greinke. I'd rather trade for a stud. How about d wright for 1st base ? Hamilton is great but playing in Boston with the media and his troubles. I mean Boston is a drinkin town right ? Let the kids play !!! BTW what are the chances cano hits free agency without being extended ?

Sections
Shortcuts