Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....

Common people, other than an outstanding maneuver in 2004 in regards to trading Nomar and bringing in some prime team energizers, Theo Epstein has not been all that good.

While Bill-806 is parading how awesome Theo is (now) I feel the need to rain on the parade....

Tell me what he has done that any other GM could not do with the same blank checkbook?  Tell me please.

John Hart, Omar hasta Minaya, and Brian Cashman have all done the same - spend, sign, and repeat steps 1&2.  Please tell me what genius was involved in signing Carl Crawford...  I will answer for you:  Carl was the best available on the market and not the best available for the team.  Thus Theo signed him with complete disregard to what makes sense for the team, not only now but long-term.

John Lackey?  Like some low budget team who HAD to make a big off-season signing Theo took the best that was available - and not one of the best pitchers in MLB. 

I could go on and on... poor planning on finding Tek's heir.... the shortstop fiasco year in and year out..... JD Drew.......... blah blah blah

The homers are blind .... as blind as Homer himself.

You need a reality check homer's .... Theo inEpstein is flawed and flawed as much as any GM in the history of baseball.  

Feedback welcomed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....

BurritoT- you blow!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

I may need to frequent this board more often to better understand who's serious, who's not, and who says things tongue in cheek.

In this case i am unable to tell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....:
    Common people, other than an outstanding maneuver in 2004 in regards to trading Nomar and bringing in some prime team energizers, Theo Epstein has not been all that good. Tell me what he has done that any other GM could not do with the same blank checkbook ?  Tell me please. John Hart, Omar hasta Minaya, and Brian Cashman have all done the same - spend, sign, and repeat steps 1&2.  Please tell me what genius was involved in signing Carl Crawford...  I will answer for you:  Carl was the best available on the market and not the best available for the team.  Thus Theo signed him with complete disregard to what makes sense for the team, not only now but long-term. John Lackey?  Like some low budget team who HAD to make a big off-season signing Theo took the best that was available - and not one of the best pitchers in MLB.  The homers are blind .... as blind as homer himself. You need a reality check homer's .... Theo inEpstein is flawed and flawed as much as any GM in the history of baseball.   Feedback welcomed.

Posted by BurritoT

Why refer to us as common people...do you consider yourself royalty or something?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That was a grammatical error (among many) but after looking at it yes - common people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I got a question for you Buritto! what the hell is a 40 year old kid doing in Vietnam?????????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

babe, you are common, and BURRITO, YOU ARE MY HERO!

thanks for having the guts to state what is absolutely accurate and true.
    'FIRE THEO!' has been my mantra for the last 3 years.
    if the SOX fail to make the PO'S this year, my hope will be fulfilled.
    btw, ignore hammah, the redneck. he drinks all the kool-aide.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

John Hart, Omar Minaya - they haven't won any world series...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

if you're 40 you're not really a kid anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Like all GMs, Theo has won some and lost some. But fans being fans tend to concentrate on the losses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Both were stellar GMs in their respective time with the Expos and Indians but when they each went to a bigger wallet they destroyed their teams...

The Red Sox are far from the Rangers or Mets and have a great chance of winning it all this year- but not because Theo is any good.  He just buys buys buys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Common people, other than an outstanding maneuver in 2004 in regards to trading Nomar and bringing in some prime team energizers, Theo Epstein has not been all that good. Tell me what he has done that any other GM could not do with the same blank checkbook ?  Tell me please. John Hart, Omar hasta Minaya, and Brian Cashman have all done the same - spend, sign, and repeat steps 1&2.  Please tell me what genius was involved in signing Carl Crawford...  I will answer for you:  Carl was the best available on the market and not the best available for the team.  Thus Theo signed him with complete disregard to what makes sense for the team, not only now but long-term. John Lackey?  Like some low budget team who HAD to make a big off-season signing Theo took the best that was available - and not one of the best pitchers in MLB.  The homers are blind .... as blind as homer himself. You need a reality check homer's .... Theo inEpstein is flawed and flawed as much as any GM in the history of baseball.   Feedback welcomed.
    Posted by BurritoT

I don't know man.  Denegrate as you must.  I certainly think Theo has made some less than solid moves.  But, I also think that there isn't a GM in baseball who hasn't.  Sometimes you can look at a small market GM and point to his awesomeness because he can just focus on development and doesn't have to dabble in the murky world of free-agency.  Show me the GM who has made consitently good free-agent signings.  Maybe he exists and i am just not paying close enough attention.  Enlighten me.  I would be grateful.  But, regardless, I just don't have even one inkling or impulse to sit around and b**ch about the guy.  Not in my nature, especially when the club, however imperfectly constructed, is a perennial contender.  When you only look at Theo's mistakes, yes, it is easy to trash him.  But it is just as myopic and overstated as Softleagues trashing of Ellsbury and Lowrie.  Theo has also made some really good moves.  He is the sum of his parts.  I don't need a reality check.  I see the guy for what he has done, in totality.  And, in regards to his poor FA signings, because, yes, I am a Homer, I just don't really feel the need to blow the guy up.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Lackey - Purchase
    Drew - Purchase
    Lugo -Purchase

Theo is in the process of screwing us up in the CA position as much as he has with the SS position... 

Do I need to recite them all?  All purchases and all failures.  AGon and Schilling are the only two that rush to mind as good PURCHASES.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

yazzer is ready to hold Burrito's d0ng next time he has to pee.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Tell me what he has done that any other GM could not do with the same blank checkbook?  Tell me please.
    Posted by BurritoT

Win 2 World Series. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

In Response to Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....:
    Lackey - Purchase Drew - Purchase Lugo -Purchase Do I need to recite them all?  All purchases and all failures.  AGon and Schilling are the only two that rush to mind as good PURCHASES.
    Posted by BurritoT

For whatever reason i think you're saying all this to instigate and get discussion on the board. Or maybe its just me having a hard time believing you are this big of a moron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

THEO would have failed miserably as the GM for the RAYS. NO QUESTION!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Burrito your argument some what is in conflict with itself. Your theme appears to me to be that Theo Epstein is basically a success based on his team's budget and his ability to spend that money.

You then proceed to bring up what bad signing Crawford and Lackey were. Which basically are the by-product of having that financial war chest.

There is no argument that Theo Epstein has not faired better and may not faired as well as his peers in signing FA. But this is only part of the picture.

His administration has done a pretty good job on knowing who to pass on. Hard to rate how we will look back on the valuations Theo set for Beltre and VMart but the history is pretty good. Even when he has given in and signed guys longer than he wanted to (Tek-Lowell), his reported initial offer in terms of years tends to be the right length.

But FA activity is only a fraction of the baseball operations. The team has drafted very well considering their position. They have developed a number of current RS players from Pedey, Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lowrie. While drafted before his time he wisely held firm on Lester and Youk.

You site 2004 and mention the Nomar trade which frankly I have never thought was a hard decision since Nomar could not play every day and the back up SS was also on the DL. But that team was largely built by Epstein in 2003 by under the radar trade and non-splash FA signings. Millar, Bellhorn, Timlin Mueller and of course Ortiz were all such players. And he had traded for Schilling and signed Foulke that winter.

I'd welcome any of the arm chair critics here or myself to try and maintain the level of performance the RS have had to date in the real MLB with Theo's budget. Not only would the data from player development alone probably overwhelm us we would be far more likely to perform as the Mets, Cubs and Tigers have in that timeframe than how the RS have.

Predicting future human performance is not a science. Epstein makes mistakes. It we froze the Lackey and Crawford deals today they are very bad deals. But fortunately for the RS the players not only have years left on those contracts but the ability to alter their current performance in those years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

The forum is so slow that Burrito is putting on his other hat and is carrying a huge wooden spoon to stir the pot. If the bash Theo thread doesn't work then he will be back to do his Andrewmitch imitation and bash Drew. This is what I referred to as dishonesty and Harness couldn't grasp the concept.

WEARING TWO OPPOSING HATS = DISHONESTY

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good..... : Win 2 World Series. 

Posted by CTJake14

Ummm.....he's not the only one to be able to do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

fivekatz your by far more thorough than I, and my purpose of this thread is to rile people who might give quality feedback (posts) such as yours.....  I want to know what people really think about Theo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

THEO would have failed miserably as the GM for the RAYS. NO QUESTION!
    Posted by the-yazzer

Why is that?  Theo's strong suit has been player development, which the Rays are built on.  When people point to Theo's failures, it is always with big-money free agent signings.  With the Rays, he would never even have to set foot into this world.  He would thrive there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

In Response to Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good..... : Ummm.....he's not the only one to be able to do that.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

He said name something he's done that others couldn't.  It's like saying anyone could've won 6 titles w/ Jordan.  It's a way of putting a winner down but it's unprovable.  Plenty have had $ to spend and not won anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPGDfjPjdWg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Spaceman – Good point. Theo’s farm system has given us Paps, Pedey, Ellsbury, Buchh, Lowrie and Bard as current members and big contributors to the team, plus others that have allowed us to make trades for other assets.

Plus in Boston he usually gets to pick in the 20-30 spot while in TB he would have gotten much better picks the first few years. Plus he also got Ortiz off Walmart’s clearance rack and we all know how much he’s meant to this team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattKaz. Show MattKaz's posts

I think pointing out what ended up being poor signings is a mistake.  The signings Theo didn't make, in spite of fan pressure, demonstrate his talent.  He was right about Pedro, Nomar and Drew.  He very well may end up being right about V-Mart 4 years from now.  That is a lot of saved dollars that would otherwise have been wasted, affording Theo some wiggle room for mediocre signings (which all GMs make).  And to criticize Theo because he has a big budget is foolish.  The bottom line is GMs before Theo couldn't put together winning teams in the Boston market.

You also need to credit Theo for the development of the farm system, which has been a priority for him.  He drafts well and develops talent.  The fact that many of those players never see the majors in a Boston uniform is irrelevant.  Theo develops them and uses them to put together winning teams via trades, spot starts, whatever.  THere is much more to being GM than free agent signings. 

Theo rocks -- he has the right approach in a tough town. 

Sections
Shortcuts