Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....

In Response to Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good..... : You and I may have but unfortunately for the team most people living in the Tampa Bay area haven't, or so it appears.

Posted by playball01[/QUOTE]

Yup, we might have to confer with a poster that has a sister that works in real estate in the area to find out why......

Tongue out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

The Rays had top picks for years contributing to their success. They were bad for so long.  They have done well but lets keep it in perspective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays had top picks for years contributing to their success. They were bad for so long.  They have done well but lets keep it in perspective.

Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But my point was the other poster claimed that theo & company was "Head and Shoulders" above everyone else in these two departments certainly wasn't keeping anything "in perspective".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That is where I differ from the average fan DCE, if Lackey were winning 17+ with NY I still would not blame my team (for not signing him) as I never wanted the guy to begin with.  And he would not be winning 17+ in NY would he?  No!  He'd be on the DL and be just as bad as he is with us.

Take your fair weather fan bologna and apply it somewhere else - 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

DCE - Good post. On top of myopic, i'd also like to add ignorant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

BURRITO just threw an undeniable TRUE seamer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]our GM is quite good (of course he has Henry's wallet)  it is our manager who is not that good i could win 94 games at the helm with this team - the only thing 'Coma has to do is not screw up the relief pitching changes
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Nope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

I think one of the best trades we’ll ever see from Theo, and a great example of how he exploits the system in place, will be the Billy Wagner trade. He absolutely abused the poor Mets in getting Wagner knowing he was going to fetch some draft picks and only giving up Chris Carter and Eddie Lora (who?).

The Sox got tremendous mileage out of Billy then let him go and couped up the 2 draft picks, one of which was used to get Ranaudo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Burrito has his fifteen minutes of forum fame by starting a thread that was needed desperately in a slow boring forum in recent days. To his surprise it was about a topic that has been discussed hundreds of times previously.

I recommend that when this thread peters out that he start one questioning if Drew was worth $14 mil per year. Then he will get an additional fifteen minutes of forum fame.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

at least if I am ever banned I won't come back under a new name and deny that I was ever present on the forum prior - because that would make me a complete imbecile loser.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]Burrito has his fifteen minutes of forum fame by starting a thread that was needed desperately in a slow boring forum in recent days. To his surprise it was about a topic that has been discussed hundreds of times previously.   I recommend that when this thread peters out that he start one questioning if Drew was worth $14 mil per year. Then he will get an additional fifteen minutes of forum fame.

Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

So I see pike, that although you've changed your nic that it still doesn't change the fact that you are not here to actually talk baseball, just to complain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

hey hey hey pike pike pike; that was my way of simulating an echo.

as for your DREW question, this will be short and to the point--NO!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good.....:
    [QUOTE]Common people, other than an outstanding maneuver in 2004 in regards to trading Nomar and bringing in some prime team energizers, Theo Epstein has not been all that good. While Bill-806 is parading how awesome Theo is (now) I feel the need to rain on the parade.... Tell me what he has done that any other GM could not do with the same blank checkbook ?  Tell me please. John Hart, Omar hasta Minaya, and Brian Cashman have all done the same - spend, sign, and repeat steps 1&2.  Please tell me what genius was involved in signing Carl Crawford...  I will answer for you:  Carl was the best available on the market and not the best available for the team.  Thus Theo signed him with complete disregard to what makes sense for the team, not only now but long-term. John Lackey?  Like some low budget team who HAD to make a big off-season signing Theo took the best that was available - and not one of the best pitchers in MLB.  I could go on and on... poor planning on finding Tek's heir.... the shortstop fiasco year in and year out..... JD Drew.......... blah blah blah The homers are blind .... as blind as Homer himself. You need a reality check homer's .... Theo in Epstein is flawed and flawed as much as any GM in the history of baseball.   Feedback welcomed.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Justin Materson for Victor Martinez....  Oh, I forgot.... Victor is gone.... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why is it that Burrito has never participated in a thread that criticizes the Evil Empire for having revenues and payroll 40% higher than the next closest team and as a result fielding the best team that money can buy. Does anyone ever remember Burrito bugging Yankee fans due to their obscene payroll disparity?

Now Burrito is involved in his game of the day and today it is to belittle the Red Sox franchise for spending big $$$ to get free agents. We all know that MLB needs a salary cap and floor. That argument has been part of hundreds of threads. I thought that most of the forum was in agreement on this. So why the need to start another brush fire. More pot stirring by Burrito. Aren't there too many spoons already stirring the pot?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

i don't know about spoons pike, but you can be a real forking bore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

at least if I am ever banned I won't come back under a new name and deny that I was ever present on the forum prior - because that would make me a complete imbecile loser.

You mean like the poster you defend more than any other, or are you being sarcastic?

You always keep me guessing, Burr.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it that Burrito has never participated in a thread that criticizes the Evil Empire for having revenues and payroll 40% higher than the next closest team and as a result fielding the best team that money can buy. Does anyone ever remember Burrito bugging Yankee fans due to their obscene payroll disparity? Now Burrito is involved in his game of the day and today it is to belittle the Red Sox franchise for spending big $$$ to get free agents. We all know that MLB needs a salary cap and floor. That argument has been part of hundreds of threads. I thought that most of the forum was in agreement on this. So why the need to start another brush fire. More pot stirring by Burrito. Aren't there too many spoons already stirring the pot?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]Not all of the forum. And it is an argument that IMO the owners won't even attempt to make when discussing the next CBA.

The current system allows for teams in the biggest markets if the make wise choices to always be relevant (since they are in the biggest markets this is good for business) and revenue sharing has provided enough money for the smaller clubs to be able to keep players through the arbitration years and make runs at making it to the winners circle (Tampa, Cleveland, Cinncy, KC) are all examples of teams that are doing this right now or in the next few seasons.

And as happens in free market economies the rich that are stupid with their money get hammered (Cubs, Mets).

The system works fine, as well as the NFL and way better than the NBA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moonslav59 softlaw makes it all too apparent he knows what we know in terms of alter-identities.

I see pike as a venomous twaut, and nobody engages him in baseball talk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

As a GM, his responsibility is ensure we sign decent prospects and oversee their development. He also needs to ensure the current ML roster is of the caliber to compete for a championship.
    The problem I have with Theo, aside from the blunders, is that he has favorites which has led to some poor signings. He needs to be more objective when making personnel decisions.
    He did hit a home run with the Adrian Gonzalez acqusition however.
    Another dislike is that he has way too much control in the day to day operations which should be Francona's responsibility. Any other manager would be at odds with Theo but since Terry is such a yes-man, it seems like a good marriage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

"Another dislike is that he has way too much control in the day to day operations"

link?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it that Burrito has never participated in a thread that criticizes the Evil Empire for having revenues and payroll 40% higher than the next closest team and as a result fielding the best team that money can buy. Does anyone ever remember Burrito bugging Yankee fans due to their obscene payroll disparity? Now Burrito is involved in his game of the day and today it is to belittle the Red Sox franchise for spending big $$$ to get free agents. We all know that MLB needs a salary cap and floor. That argument has been part of hundreds of threads. I thought that most of the forum was in agreement on this. So why the need to start another brush fire. More pot stirring by Burrito. Aren't there too many spoons already stirring the pot?

So piker, the Yanks should be criticized for having high revenues?

Are you mad at Microsoft for turning a high profit as well?

How dare these businesses try to make money!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]moonslav59 softlaw makes it all too apparent the knows what we know in terms of alter-identities. I see pik e as a venomous twaut, and nobody engages him in baseball talk.

Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That's because piker is not here to talk baseball, only to complain about other posters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

So, piker, the Yankees should be criticized for their high revenues?

Do you also complain about Microsoft seeing great revenues?

How dare these companies make money!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let us ADMIT it, our GM really is not all that good..... : So, piker, the Yankees should be criticized for their high revenues? Do you also complain about Microsoft seeing great revenues? How dare these companies make money!!
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Did you ever read in your history books about the existence of monopolies and oligopolies at the start of the 20th century and the anti-trust legislation that was drafted as a result of it. Congress reacted which made the playing field more level and fair for all Americans. A salary cap / floor would do the same for baseball or do you prefer a Yankee monopoly or an oligopoly consisting of a handful of teams?