Lets Be Honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lets Be Honest

But, the 4th year would be effectively just $5M after you paid him $25M the 3rd year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

But, the 4th year would beeffectively just $5M after you paid him $25M the 3rd year.

You know my philosophy on free agents not named Manny or Pedro moon. I want them for 3 years or less. Especially if they're north of 30.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

I think you do 4/20 with a 5th team oprtion and a nice buyout maybe 8 mil. And thats IF you had to have him. Definitely no more than 4 guaranteed years

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:

And I mean really think about it. Would it really be a bad thing if the Sox sign Josh Hamilton? Would anyone really come on this board and complain and give Ben and company a hard time about it. Now Dont get me wrong I dont want them to do it. That being said and I was thinking about it yesterday, my reaction to the signing if it were to happen would be.... Alright this team just got better. Lets look at the facts, hes two years off of an MVP season. Even tho he went through a slump at the end hes STILL an MVP candidate this year and will receive some first place (though not many, maybe none who knows) votes. The guy hit 43 Home Runs and thats with a rather long slump at the end of the year...remember April and MAy Yikes. Yes he has had his problems with drugs and alcohol but it really has not affected his baseball abilities and he has a track record of sticking to his programs and not relapsing. He is 31 and still has 2 or 3 years at the end of his prime and Even when he is no longer in his prime he will be much better than most. And the thing that I didnt think about until the other day is, How long is Big Papi's contract. When are we going to need a new DH, one with the same Papi, Home run big game skill set. Just mull that over before you start steaming if Josh gets signed which, http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jon-heyman/20993439/will-red-sox-enter-the-bidding-for-josh-hamilton 

I still  have my hang ups and as I stated before, dont want the Red Sox to sign him. He has injury and fielding problems, the media and fans will get to him at times, and we will probably have to eat a year where hes not Josh Hamilton any more. But having Josh for the near future would make the team better and isnt that the point of free agents? 

Have the owners ever thought about this??? Don't offer  anything to these josh Hamilton type free agents and let them wonder about what they really are worth.Every owner say no thanks and just move on to someone willing to play for a good paycheck.Can the owners bring the market down and let the next Carl Crawford wash cars for a living? Once they think their  bigger then the game let them walk hand in hand with their Agents. Baseball is way better then Ellsbury licking his wounds all year and wanting to go to the hightest bidder.

Collusion is probably never a good idea, especially when the players belong to arguably the strongest union in the world.

Agree. The Union is the real problem as they wont let that happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id have no issue giving a 3-4 year deal to hamilton. maybe add an option year. In years 3 and 4 he could DH taking some wear and tear off and just concentrating on smashing the ball....I would put safety provisions in it as far as relapses and such...Meaning we have the option to opt out if he falls off the wagon or whatever. Dont know if the players union will go for it, just an idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

75/3 is better than 80/4????

Shorter deal. So yes, in my book 75/3 is better than 80/4. IMNSHO the 4th year of a Hamilton deal is a little iffy.

Ned Colletti? Is that you?

Carnie?  The deal might be shorter but you are essentially turning down one year of a former MVP for $5mill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

$25 million per year for four years..... no idea if that is the right thing to do but Josh still rakes it in and the Sox know that if it does not work out then it is off the books in 4 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

$25 million per year for four years..... no idea if that is the right thing to do but Josh still rakes it in and the Sox know that if it does not work out then it is off the books in 4 years.

At least it wouldnt cripple them for 7 years and in 2 years they can stick him at DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:

And I mean really think about it. Would it really be a bad thing if the Sox sign Josh Hamilton? Would anyone really come on this board and complain and give Ben and company a hard time about it. Now Dont get me wrong I dont want them to do it. That being said and I was thinking about it yesterday, my reaction to the signing if it were to happen would be.... Alright this team just got better. Lets look at the facts, hes two years off of an MVP season. Even tho he went through a slump at the end hes STILL an MVP candidate this year and will receive some first place (though not many, maybe none who knows) votes. The guy hit 43 Home Runs and thats with a rather long slump at the end of the year...remember April and MAy Yikes. Yes he has had his problems with drugs and alcohol but it really has not affected his baseball abilities and he has a track record of sticking to his programs and not relapsing. He is 31 and still has 2 or 3 years at the end of his prime and Even when he is no longer in his prime he will be much better than most. And the thing that I didnt think about until the other day is, How long is Big Papi's contract. When are we going to need a new DH, one with the same Papi, Home run big game skill set. Just mull that over before you start steaming if Josh gets signed which, http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jon-heyman/20993439/will-red-sox-enter-the-bidding-for-josh-hamilton 

I still  have my hang ups and as I stated before, dont want the Red Sox to sign him. He has injury and fielding problems, the media and fans will get to him at times, and we will probably have to eat a year where hes not Josh Hamilton any more. But having Josh for the near future would make the team better and isnt that the point of free agents? 

But he hasn't played in Boston yet.  Some of this crowd could have provoked Orel Hershiser into using hard drugs after a couple of bad outings.  And I'm sure they'll be a great outpouring of support from Softy and the Lynch Mob if he falls off the wagon.  

I think you think Hamilton is softer than he is.  Did he relapse after throwing that baseball to the fireman who fell trying to catch it?  If THAT did not set him off, I seriously doubt hearing a few boos and some overly critical blogs are going to mean all that much to him...

Good point, and my hyperbole needed to be checked, but there's still the constant in-your-face scrutiny and nary a moment where he could go out in public without lots of attention.  Over time, this would wear on most.  Money, years, and other incentives being relatively close, I'd imagine that Boston may not be his top choice.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

At least it wouldnt cripple them for 7 years and in 2 years they can stick him at DH.

It's a nice fit from that perspective.  It gives us some more options of when to bring up the kids.  In two years, we should have JBJ and Brentz up, probably Bogie as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

But, the 4th year would beeffectively just $5M after you paid him $25M the 3rd year.

You know my philosophy on free agents not named Manny or Pedro moon. I want them for 3 years or less. Especially if they're north of 30.

Does that mean you'd rather have Hamilton at $75M/3 rather than $75M/4? 

The 4th year at $5M extra is a small gamble to make.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It's a nice fit from that perspective.  It gives us some more options of when to bring up the kids.  In two years, we should have JBJ and Brentz up, probably Bogie as well.

I think all 3 will be up in 2014...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think all 3 will be up in 2014...

Very possible.  Chad Finn keeps saying that he "has a feeling" Bogaerts is going to play a significant role for the Sox in 2013.  No real reason behind it, but my guess is that if he tears it up early in AA/AAA, the Sox may be less reluctant to throw him out there, since he's got the kind of character that likely won't be too affected if he doesn't succeed right away in Boston. When you consider the recent success of 19/20 year olds like Harper/Trout, there could be something to it.  By the way, I'm comparing Boegarts to Trout/ Harper in age only...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

And I'm sure they'll be a great outpouring of support from Softy and the Lynch Mob if he falls off the wagon

Since when have I been a part of any Lynch Mob for currently season long producing players? My list of old bums taking advantage of the past good will is limited to Wakefield, Varitek and Lowell. My list of bums who don't produce at all because they don't show up for work is Ellsbury. My list of bums who simply don't produce is limited to Crawford and Lackey.

No one is more objective in player criticism. If you are a prima donna who doesn't show up for work, doesn't produce, or hangs on too long and doesn't produce, I will not relent until you are run off the payroll of my beloved Red Sox. I also judge produciton on team position, starter or bench and overall offensive and defensive production. I'm as fair as any baseball critic has ever been.

It's my duty as a Red Sox media consuming fan, as the game is played for the Red Sox fans. It's not church league, it's professional baseball.

I know Hamilton's dad. He's a good hearted sould and a talented baseball player, but he's not a value and fit for the Red Sox in the current market. He's too old for a long massive contract, and the Red Sox #1 need is a young talented RH OF'er. He does not address that at all. In addition, they've already gone one year too long on Ortiz, which is something they should not have done if they wanted to spend a fortune on Hamilton's golden years.

The Red Sox need a top young slugging lefty bat in the infield, and Hamilton isn't it. AGon was it, but he was given away to pay for the write off on the Crawford and Beckett incompetent contract mistakes. 

I just had my good laugh or the day. Thanks bro 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Also I never got the obsession with right handed needs that some teams have. If a team had a lineup full of 9 left handed hitting studs that hit 10 270 vs left handers and 20 310 vs righthanders id be good with that. Lefty Lefty and Righty Righty matchups are overrated IMO in the modern MLB 

Sections
Shortcuts