LETS DO SOME TRADING....WHO SHOULD GO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

LETS DO SOME TRADING....WHO SHOULD GO?

I WOULD TRADE PEAVY, MUJICA AND ROSS.  WORKMAN CAN HANDLE PEAVY'S SLOT EASILY, MUJICA SEEMS TO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD AND SHOULD BE EASY TO REPLACE WITHIN, AND ROSS IS JUST BLOCKING THE WAY FOR VASQUEZ, AND IT IS TIME TO END THAT!  YOUR THOUGHTS?
    REBEL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: LETS DO SOME TRADING....WHO SHOULD GO?

In response to REBEL's comment:

I WOULD TRADE PEAVY, MUJICA AND ROSS.  WORKMAN CAN HANDLE PEAVY'S SLOT EASILY, MUJICA SEEMS TO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD AND SHOULD BE EASY TO REPLACE WITHIN, AND ROSS IS JUST BLOCKING THE WAY FOR VASQUEZ, AND IT IS TIME TO END THAT!  YOUR THOUGHTS?
    REBEL

trading peavy makes sense

not sure anyone would give mijica a paid plane ticket

if U R worried about blocking a kid why not trade AJ and get more

I'm thinking he could learn more from ross

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

The whole roster is available.  Some players will be much more expensive then others, but everyone is available.  By the trade deadline I bet we sell at least 3 guys from the 25 man roster, if not 4 or 5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

That's what BillyB would do but BenC is a Repub.( I would guess) and way too conservative. He's afraid he will  make a mistake and look bad. There can be no compromise . He doesn't understand sufficiently the process , like politics--you have to work out a deal. Trades are good when everyone walks away thinking it was fair.

He has a plethora of young pitching, 3 B's and no outfielders. He has 5 starting pitchers that have gotten little to no support. BenC can sit on his hands and let the season pass him buy or he can be proactive. My guess he will take a strong passive policy and hold tight to all this young pitching--next year, when the Rule 5 comes around, he will panic-yes panic and lose a couple of guys he could have held onto.

Three pitchers that to me are not helping our team--Peavy, Doubront and Buch. A change of scenery might help the last two. Peavy is too arrogant for me--trade him to a strong manager like Soscia or to the D'Backs. Something has happened with Capuano and Mujica--if I keep one it's Mujica.

I agree with pinstripe trade AJ and keep Ross to teach Vazquez. AJ is too concerned about AJ--I don't see him as a team player. Move him ASAP.

So BenC try a few trades now, to get warmed up  before the deadline. If you can move Peavy, Felix, Buch, Cappy and AJ---come back and we'll have some others we'll recommend. Trading these guys or DFA'ing a couple will open up some slots --no one will be mad at you except Capuano's family--no more free tickets.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think in about 3 weeks we will have a really good idea of exactly how many players will be available.

it is looking more and more like the trading deadline deals might be our last bit of excitement this season.

other names i have posted under:  none

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Names that I think will be traded.

Peavy, Doubront, AJ, Koji, Drew, Breslow, and Gomes

Really don't see a blockbuster trade for the Sox this season.  Maybe we could see something big this off-season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Buchholtz but they are about 6 months too late on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

right now it is hard to judge who go or who stay cuz it is only the month of june.  wait until july and see where is the sox standing in the standing.

they can be a buyer or seller easily for the month of july.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In response to REBEL's comment:

REBEL

You'll need a couple of large buses to show up in front of Fenway... Do you get my drift??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

right now it is hard to judge who go or who stay cuz it is only the month of june.  wait until july and see where is the sox standing in the standing.

come on - how many more games are even left in June?  7?  what is going to change?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Drew, Peavy, Buch, AJ, Gomes, Carp, maybe Dubront(not really a proponent on this one), middlebrooks.

Receive pitching, RH power bats for OF or 3B.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

That's what BillyB would do but BenC is a Repub.( I would guess) and way too conservative. He's afraid he will  make a mistake and look bad. There can be no compromise . He doesn't understand sufficiently the process , like politics--you have to work out a deal. Trades are good when everyone walks away thinking it was fair.

He has a plethora of young pitching, 3 B's and no outfielders. He has 5 starting pitchers that have gotten little to no support. BenC can sit on his hands and let the season pass him buy or he can be proactive. My guess he will take a strong passive policy and hold tight to all this young pitching--next year, when the Rule 5 comes around, he will panic-yes panic and lose a couple of guys he could have held onto.

Three pitchers that to me are not helping our team--Peavy, Doubront and Buch. A change of scenery might help the last two. Peavy is too arrogant for me--trade him to a strong manager like Soscia or to the D'Backs. Something has happened with Capuano and Mujica--if I keep one it's Mujica.

I agree with pinstripe trade AJ and keep Ross to teach Vazquez. AJ is too concerned about AJ--I don't see him as a team player. Move him ASAP.

So BenC try a few trades now, to get warmed up  before the deadline. If you can move Peavy, Felix, Buch, Cappy and AJ---come back and we'll have some others we'll recommend. Trading these guys or DFA'ing a couple will open up some slots --no one will be mad at you except Capuano's family--no more free tickets.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Cherrington pulled off one of the ballsiest, most decidedly unconservative trades of the modern era, perhaps all time.  He then went totally against the grain of public opinion and put together a roster of cast-offs and grizzled vets and we know what happened.  I am not sure where the notion of conservative comes in.  Cherrington has been bold thus far in his tenure.  Just because he hasnt shaken up an underperforming roster when it isnt even July doesnt make him conservative.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Do you see this lineup turning things around? Haven't you seen a big enough sample size?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Do you see this lineup turning things around? Haven't you seen a big enough sample size?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, even if we have seen enough and need to make a move ... is it really going to happen now?  June trading partners are few and far between.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Cherrington pulled off one of the ballsiest, most decidedly unconservative trades of the modern era, perhaps all time.  He then went totally against the grain of public opinion and put together a roster of cast-offs and grizzled vets and we know what happened.  I am not sure where the notion of conservative comes in.  Cherrington has been bold thus far in his tenure.  Just because he hasnt shaken up an underperforming roster when it isnt even July doesnt make him conservative.

which trader are you referring to exactly here?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, even if we have seen enough and need to make a move ... is it really going to happen now?  June trading partners are few and far between.  

June?  It's June 24.  Blink and it will be the All Star Break.  Then August.  When will you want to finally wake up?  You tell me?  September?  October?  All this "manana, manana" business is just wasting time while trying to rationalize.  Rationalizing is for losers...........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

June?  It's June 24.  Blink and it will be the All Star Break.  Then August.  When will you want to finally wake up?  You tell me?  September?  October?  All this "manana, manana" business is just wasting time while trying to rationalize.  Rationalizing is for losers...........

You STILL don't get it.  Big trades do not happen this time of year.  No G.M. with half a brain cell or more is going to pull off a blockbuster.  You see there is this thing called economics, and supply and demand.  Right now there are very few sellers because most teams are either in the race or holding off trying to decide if they are or are not seller/buyers.  The premium you pay now is going to be much more than what you pay come July 31st, which would be higher than the Winter to begin with.  

This is why you never see mega-trades in June, and why there is almost NO precedent to back up your ignorant narrative that BEN C.  is sitting on his hands. Who do you think he can trade for RIGHT now, to make this team better?????

Only logical answers will be accepted. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most teams don't loom to trade until the deadline, unless they are desperate.

I'm sure talks are going on all around the majors. teams are sending out "feelers" and guaging interest.

I haven't written off this season yet, but I don't see a miracle happening. 

Assuming we have made no strong run before the deadline, I'd look to trade anybody and everybody that will be a free agent next year and who does not rate to resign here or extend.

AJP & Ross: I doubt they can teach vazquez anything useful in 2 months.

Peavy: should get a nice prospect in return.

Drew: may be untradeable.

Gomes: get what we can and make way for Holt, cecchini, Middy or Betts to win an OF slot.

Capuano, Miller & Badenhop: All can bring us something potentially useful.

Sit down with the big 2 (Lester &Uuehara) and tell them how much we really really want them to return to Boston, but that we have to know if we are too far apart in contract numbers to realistically expect them back here next year and beyond. If it looks like we have little chance, then get what we can in trade as long as it looks better than a comp draft pick in 2015.

I'd even look to see what we could get for a couple guys who will be free agents after 2016: Victorino and Mujica.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

anyone who is angry that Ben C. hasn't pulled off a big trade right now to improve this team is either 

A.) ok with advocating that the Sox spend twice as much in prospects now than, they would in a month from now, in what would be close to an unprecedentedly lopsided trade (not in our favor)

or

B.) too dumb to understand A. 

If you choose A, and you are ok with grossly overpaying then that is fine, to each their own.  If you are not A, I would suggest......well you aren't going to take my advice so never mind. have a good life!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly.

if anyone doesn’t understand trades, it’s fans,  Go read MLBTR after any deal is made, and the first thing discussed is which side “won the trade.”  In fact, a lot of fans seem more obsessed with winning trades than with winning games.  I’m not really sure why you think you know more about making trades than Cherington does, beyond that he has yet to meet your quota for this year.  All reports are that he has been actively looking, but that doesn’t mean other teams are always willing.  And one thing that can really hamstring his ability this year is the top prospects like Betts, Owens and Vazquez.   Many rival GMs can and will insist on one of those 3, even for marginal players.  And in no way should the Sox give up Vazquez for, say, John Mayberry.   History has shown it can be more difficult for teams with strong farm systems to make trades than it is for teams with weak ones. 

Cherington did trade away an extremely safe player in Iglesias for Jake Peavy when the Sox needed it.   And while many panned his acquisition of Hanrahan, no one seems to mind anymore since that deal brought us Brock Holt.  (Please spare me the “Holt was a throw in” commentaries.  Even “throw-in” players are carefully scouted and selected accordingly, and more often than you realize, hold up deals altogether.   This is a multi-billion dollar business and decisions are not made whimsically.)

I don’t think the Sox will deal as many players as fans want to see go.  David Ross, for  example, is not moving. Ditto Mujica.  The most likely players leaving are probably Peavy and Andrew Miller, both of whom should draw significant trade interest.  Capuano and Breslow might interest other teams as well, simply because they are left-handed.  I really do doubt AJP goes anywhere, although I wouldn’t mind.   Uehara will hold a lot of trade value, but I think I’d rather see him extended for a season or two.    Not sure about the market of Buchholz or Doubront, but both should be worth something.  It really comes down to how much of this 2014 team they should disband, especially since a lot of them were champions as recently as 2013.  One bad season does not necessarily mean it’s all over.

But, they should make any and all acquisitions with 2015 (and beyond?) in mind.  Winning in 2013 sated me for this season, and I’m OK with giving a pass.  But it’s not a long term one…

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

come on - how many more games are even left in June?  7?  what is going to change?

The number of teams to trade with.   And potentially their needs and desperation...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The number of teams to trade with.   And potentially their needs and desperation...

yeah you know....only the necessary parameters for a trade. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stop being obtuse Andrew.  I know you are smarter than this.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Cherrington pulled off one of the ballsiest, most decidedly unconservative trades of the modern era, perhaps all time. 

nice story space

but I'm not buying

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall 2 many upset with the trade

I'm thinking most were ecstatic

perhaps the conservative tag comes from

lack a big contracts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Cherrington pulled off one of the ballsiest, most decidedly unconservative trades of the modern era, perhaps all time. 

nice story space

but I'm not buying

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall 2 many upset with the trade

I'm thinking most were ecstatic

perhaps the conservative tag comes from

lack a big contracts

[object HTMLDivElement]

True zac.  I didn't mean ballsiest in the sense that it flew in the face of public opinion - just that it was about as unconventional a move as has been done.  

And, yes, the lack of big contracts is probably what the conservative label comes from.  But, in this day and age in a big market, my arguement that not relying on the big contract to appease the fan base or win games is the opposite of conservative.

Sections
Shortcuts