LETS DO SOME TRADING....WHO SHOULD GO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: LETS DO SOME TRADING....WHO SHOULD GO?

OK space

carry on

I'm sorry 4 the interruption ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

my arguement that not relying on the big contract to appease the fan base or win games is the opposite of conservative.

holding my breathe and counting w/smoke coming out my ears

ok it's true nyyfans nor conservatives can count

I best  let bill handle that comment U made

OMG  oops can't say god or talk politics here

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...I don’t think the Sox will deal as many players as fans want to see go. David Ross, for example, is not moving. Ditto Mujica.

You are probably right on these two, but one never knows. If there is some sort of deal in the works to get Kemp and part of his salary, we may need to dump salary elsewhere to stay under the luxury limit. (On Kemp, if we know Uehara is not going to extend, I'm sure the Dodgers would consider Kemp and cash for Uehara and Miller. They need a closer and a good lefty RP. Maybe we throw in Gomes to balance the 2015 salary numbers a bit more. He does have an .867 OPS vs LHPs this year.)

The most likely players leaving are probably Peavy and Andrew Miller, both of whom should draw significant trade interest. Capuano and Breslow might interest other teams as well, simply because they are left-handed.

I'd add Gomes to the list making room for Betts in the OF, more PAs by Nava, and maybe eventual space for Middy or Cecchini in LF.

I really do doubt AJP goes anywhere, although I wouldn’t mind.

I think if we paid half his remaining balance a few teams could use AJ.

Uehara will hold a lot of trade value, but I think I’d rather see him extended for a season or two.

I agree. We should not give up on 2015 or 2016, but I do feel we should try and see what he wants for an extension, and if it is too much, then get what we can for him at the deadline or during the waiver deal period. He's worth more than a comp pick to me.

Not sure about the market of Buchholz or Doubront, but both should be worth something.

Maybe more to a team looking ahead and not looking for a boost for 2014. A seller not a buyer in a sense, so maybe we'd be getting that team's salary dump player which I assume has several years of team control and some upside.

It really comes down to how much of this 2014 team they should disband, especially since a lot of them were champions as recently as 2013. One bad season does not necessarily mean it’s all over.

Very true, but with so many players becoming free agents after this year, and our long tendency of allowing our free agents to walk, I think we have to look at packing it in for this year in hopes of improving our chances in 2015 and beyond.

Lester and Uehara should be given respectable extension offers along with a strong message that we want them back. Find out if what they want is within striking distance, but if it is not, then I feel we have to get some top prospects in return, otherwise we get only comp picks after they walk. (See the Uehara and Miller for Kemp possibility above)

But, they should make any and all acquisitions with 2015 (and beyond?) in mind. Winning in 2013 sated me for this season, and I’m OK with giving a pass. But it’s not a long term one…

Exactly my feelings.

Other than Lester and Uehara, the big chunk of change we lose from our budget should be easily replaced via free agency of from within our system. I know all of these will not pan out, but some should:

Vazquez for AJP or Ross

Betts or Holt for Gomes

de la Rosa, Workman, or Ranaudo for Peavy

Webster, Britton, de la Rosa, Workman, Ranaudo, Johnson, or others for Miller, Badenhop and Capuano

Maybe even Owens, Barnes, Cecchini, Marerro, Coyle, Swihart, Ramos, T Shaw or others could win a spot on the 25 man roster at some point in 2015.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[/QUOTE]

Do you see this lineup turning things around? Haven't you seen a big enough sample size?

[/QUOTE]

how can you make a deal if there is only few teams that are willing to be a seller.   That is why most teams will be waving their white flag around all star break toward to the trading deadline. 

You just can make a trade such as to trade either Peavy or Doubront for an average hitter like Gomes or like that.  That isnt going to make the team any better.  Longer the Red Sox wait, the better player that they can find on the market such as to get Kemp or maybe Hamilton or Hanley Rameriz, etc.   something like that.

If you think it is so easy to make a trade now, why arent anyone making a trade right now.  Yankees awfully need a starting pitcher.  Detriot awfully need a new closer.  St. Louis awfully need two starting pitchers.  LA Dodgers awfully need a good defensive SS, etc.  And I am not seeing anyone making a move as of today except they pick up via waivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I like the team the way it is. It would be interesting to find out how much worse this team can become. I think the SOX's basement has a cellar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

my arguement that not relying on the big contract to appease the fan base or win games is the opposite of conservative.

holding my breathe and counting w/smoke coming out my ears

ok it's true nyyfans nor conservatives can count

I best  let bill handle that comment U made

OMG  oops can't say god or talk politics here

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hahaha.  OK, Zac.  Clarification:  when we are talking about conservative, in this baseball business context, we are talking about doing things by the book and/or being averse to taking risk.  Let us not conflate that with American political conservatism ... which is tricky enough in itself, as what passes for conservative in this day and age is often wildly radical and decidedly unconservative. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Another thing why Trades are not made this early. Injuries. Team like Atlanta, could probably use a Starter. They will probably look internally, then outside if it doesn't work. Injuries are a big key to Trades, especially if your in the hunt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

peavy and AJ should be the 2 guys to go as far as i’m concerned. AJ has been a terrible signing thus far, he is a well below avg defender and his bat has be useless as well. Dish him and call up vasquez. Peavy has not pitched overly well but might have a little value to an NL given his success there in the past. We have more then enough pitchers to fill his spot. I for one would like to see anthony ranuado get a shot. He has been great in AAA and deserves a call up. Oh and lets not forget drew, he should be dealt as well to a team that needs a SS. Maybe we can pick up a reliever for him. I think its time to just go with the kids. Call up betts, vasquez, ranuado, checcini (move bogy back to ss) I would also look to deal lackey as well if I’m the sox. His value is pretty high and I’m sure we could get something good for him. Heck, if victorino gets healthy before the deadline, might as well move him too. Team for the rest of the year:

Holt (LF)

Betts (CF)

Pedroia (2B)

Ortiz (DH)

Napoli (1B)

Bogaerts (SS)

Cecchini/Middlebrooks (3B)

Vasquez (C)

bradley jr (RF)

Lester, Buchholz, De la rosa, Workman, Ranuado

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the team the way it is. It would be interesting to find out how much worse this team can become. I think the SOX's basement has a cellar.

[/QUOTE]

"I like this team the way it is". You gotta be kidding me. This is the most boring Sox team in decades. Mediocre fielding, awful hitting, and absolutely no speed. Peavy, Doubront and Buchholtz stink, as do Miller, Capuano and Mujica. Cherington's solution: Bring back Drew at 10 million dollars for 2/3 of a season and pray that he can hit higher than .150. It's time to blow this team up. Make everyone available at the trade deadline.There is little likelihood that this team, as composed, can even play .500 ball. Time to start talking to GMs of real contenders about top prospects who are either blocked or can't help them to the playoffs this year. This team stinks and isn't going anywhere this year and 2015 will be just as bad if we pretty much field the same roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

[QUOTE]

"I like this team the way it is". You gotta be kidding me. This is the most boring Sox team in decades. Mediocre fielding, awful hitting, and absolutely no speed. Peavy, Doubront and Buchholtz stink, as do Miller, Capuano and Mujica. Cherington's solution: Bring back Drew at 10 million dollars for 2/3 of a season and pray that he can hit higher than .150. It's time to blow this team up. Make everyone available at the trade deadline.There is little likelihood that this team, as composed, can even play .500 ball. Time to start talking to GMs of real contenders about top prospects who are either blocked or can't help them to the playoffs this year. This team stinks and isn't going anywhere this year and 2015 will be just as bad if we pretty much field the same roster.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you'd better get used to this team because this FO isn't gonna spend a lot of money or make any significant trades. I predict it will take the SOX about 3 years before they're serious contenders. One thing the SOX FO should do is lower ticket prices to reflect the quality of the product.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, you'd better get used to this team because this FO isn't gonna spend a lot of money or make any significant trades. I predict it will take the SOX about 3 years before they're serious contenders. One thing the SOX FO should do is lower ticket prices to reflect the quality of the product.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The team is struggling.  Blame management.  I get it.  Might as well pile on.  But, if you would - please elaborate on your fearless prediction that they wont be contenders for about 3 years.  I am interested to know because I see it quite differently.  It looks to me that 2014 is actually the much-discussed "bridge year" and that the near future is very bright - a piece or 2 away from serious contention.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really???

considering in that Peavy has about a .000001% of his option kicking in the Sox will have 101 million on the books next year and  67 the following.  That will mean they will have 88 million to spend (per year) next year and 122 (per year) in 2016.  

If recent history is any precedent then we can decipher that the Sox will spend somewhere near the luxury tax limit. There is no way they are going to turn themselves into a 60 million 70 million a year payroll team.  

Spending that money + arguably the top farm system starting to trickle guys in is going to equate to some results.

I think everyone is just getting all cynical because of the bad year this year.  Remember how quickly things changed from 2012 to 2013???? well the lesson in 2014 should be how quickly people forget.

The Sox aren't going to sit on their hands after this season, that is just ridiculous...I will eat my underpants if they don't add significant payroll this off season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Or maybe we would perfer that the Sox get their payroll down to 67 million a year and lower ticket prices, I don't know...but I say they make some trades and spend some money.  It will be a combination of their own guys, guys they trade for and free agents....but they have some serious money to throw around and I think it is obvious that they will. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Or maybe we would perfer that the Sox get their payroll down to 67 million a year and lower ticket prices, I don't know...but I say they make some trades and spend some money.  It will be a combination of their own guys, guys they trade for and free agents....but they have some serious money to throw around and I think it is obvious that they will

U think they will resign lester

if so when

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"I like this team the way it is". You gotta be kidding me. This is the most boring Sox team in decades. Mediocre fielding, awful hitting, and absolutely no speed. Peavy, Doubront and Buchholtz stink, as do Miller, Capuano and Mujica. Cherington's solution: Bring back Drew at 10 million dollars for 2/3 of a season and pray that he can hit higher than .150. It's time to blow this team up. Make everyone available at the trade deadline.There is little likelihood that this team, as composed, can even play .500 ball. Time to start talking to GMs of real contenders about top prospects who are either blocked or can't help them to the playoffs this year. This team stinks and isn't going anywhere this year and 2015 will be just as bad if we pretty much field the same roster.

[/QUOTE]

The front office has been spending a ton of money for many years and shows no signs of going cheap.

We lose a lot of deadwood salary this winter, and there is no reason to think we will not be near the luxury limit next season, which means we will spend a lot.

Ben has also shown he can and will pull the trigger on blockbuster deals.

Add a couple big free agents and a couple midlevel ones, and/or maybe trade for Stanton  and allow for a couple prospects like Betts and a SP to win a slot and we could be strong contenders in 2015.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really???

considering in that Peavy has about a .000001% of his option kicking in the Sox will have 101 million on the books next year and  67 the following.  That will mean they will have 88 million to spend (per year) next year and 122 (per year) in 2016.  

If recent history is any precedent then we can decipher that the Sox will spend somewhere near the luxury tax limit. There is no way they are going to turn themselves into a 60 million 70 million a year payroll team.  

Spending that money + arguably the top farm system starting to trickle guys in is going to equate to some results.

I think everyone is just getting all cynical because of the bad year this year.  Remember how quickly things changed from 2012 to 2013???? well the lesson in 2014 should be how quickly people forget.

The Sox aren't going to sit on their hands after this season, that is just ridiculous...I will eat my underpants if they don't add significant payroll this off season. 

[/QUOTE]

I read this after I posted my recent similar post.

The salary numbers are a bit more complicated as there are benefits payments and money owed to the Dodgers to consider as well.

Your points are well-taken though.

We will have a lot to spend and will spend it.

We will have some young talent helping out in various ways.

Keepers like Lackey, Papi, Pedey, Naps and Bogey make for a nice foundation to build around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Rebel. I'd trade virtually any player from any team of mine at any time if I thought I was getting "more value" in return.  But MLB/the world is awash with detailed information so it's rarely about knowledge, it's about judgement...so I think the question is which of our players - in our opinion - has less value-for-money than other teams consider them to have.  And that's obviously subjective....it's laughable when people b1tch and m0@n about Nava, Peavy, Doubrant, AJ, Gomes, etc....then suggest they are viable trade chips.  Way to think, Thinkies!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to REBEL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I WOULD TRADE PEAVY, MUJICA AND ROSS.  WORKMAN CAN HANDLE PEAVY'S SLOT EASILY, MUJICA SEEMS TO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD AND SHOULD BE EASY TO REPLACE WITHIN, AND ROSS IS JUST BLOCKING THE WAY FOR VASQUEZ, AND IT IS TIME TO END THAT!  YOUR THOUGHTS?
    REBEL

[/QUOTE]

Ross might be the better teacher....AJ is just a cancer on the team

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

DREW!  If there is a God.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

right now it is hard to judge who go or who stay cuz it is only the month of june.  wait until july and see where is the sox standing in the standing.

they can be a buyer or seller easily for the month of july.

[/QUOTE]

Do you see this lineup turning things around? Haven't you seen a big enough sample size?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, even if we have seen enough and need to make a move ... is it really going to happen now?  June trading partners are few and far between.  

[/QUOTE]

June?  It's June 24.  Blink and it will be the All Star Break.  Then August.  When will you want to finally wake up?  You tell me?  September?  October?  All this "manana, manana" business is just wasting time while trying to rationalize.  Rationalizing is for losers...........

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stop being obtuse Andrew.  I know you are smarter than this.  

[/QUOTE]

it's not June.  it's July.  stop making excuses.  time to get on the phone and focus on 2015 - if you aren't in the plans for 2015 you are on the block.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you're out of luck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JD Drew?  Funny how he never garnered any interest from any team after his contract was up.  Even though Theo, to this day, maintains that Drew was worth MORE than what he was paid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The luxury tax budget for 2015 looks like this (avg salary not 2015 salary):

$16M Napoli

$13.8M Pedroia

$13M Ortiz

$13M Vic

$7.5M Buch

$4.8M Mujica

$0.5M Lackey

~$69M for the "Big Seven"

+ ($4M club option for Breslow with $100K buyout)

+ Arbs for Carp 2nd of 3, Herrera 3/3, Tazawa 2/3, Doubie 1/3, Nava 1/3 -- none of these guys will make big money. 

+ The rest are all at the minimum unless the club offers more.

+ 3.9M to the Dodgers

+ ~$10M for player benefits

Total (not counting arbs, Breslow, or the minimum wage players) is:

$83M

The limit will be $189M in 2015, so that leaves about $106M for the rest of the 33 players on the 40 man roster.

Let's assume we pay the 5 arb guys $6M combined. That leaves $100M for the 29 remaining players.

Let's assume these minimum wage players are on the 40 man roster (counting FAs signed- 28 needed):

(11) Bogaerts, JBJ, Holt, Workman, Middy, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa, Vazquez, Ranaudo, Cecchini

(4) Borderline: Lava, A Wilson, Hassan, Butler, Brentz

(4) Rule 5 elibiles should be added: Barnes, Swihart, L Diaz, H Ramos

(8) Rule 5 borderlines: Coyle, C Brown, M Celestino, K de la Cruz, S Gomez, M Pena, N Ramirez, T Shaw

By my count, that's 15 definites and 12 boderlines not counting free agents.

Let's assume Betts makes the big club (2016 rule 5 eligible).

So, we have a nice and neat 40 total here with free agent signings booting out the borderline players one by one.

For argument's sake, let's say we sign 6 free agents and keep 6 "borrderline" players. That means 22 players will be paid the minimum (~$12M total).

That leaves about $88M to spend on 6 free agents. For arguments sake, we could spend this...

$28M/yr Scherzer

$20M/yr Lester

$18M/yr on N Cruz (Cuddyer? HanRam?)

and still have $22M to spend on 3 mid level FAs.

We could also trade 4-5 prospects for Stanton and more "borderline" players could make the 40 man roster. If we extend Stanton, as I think we should insist on as part of any deal for him, his cost would be high, but not as high as we might imagine, since his next few years at a relatively low cost will be averaged in.

The future is not as bleak as some here want to think it is.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really???

[/QUOTE]

I read this after I posted my recent similar post.

The salary numbers are a bit more complicated as there are benefits payments and money owed to the Dodgers to consider as well.

Your points are well-taken though.

We will have a lot to spend and will spend it.

We will have some young talent helping out in various ways.

Keepers like Lackey, Papi, Pedey, Naps and Bogey make for a nice foundation to build around.

[/QUOTE]

It's not 100% accurate but the numbers did take into account estimated arbitration cost, and other players on the roster filling spots.  Now some of those are pro rated at the league minimum and would obviously increase in the case of them signing someone, which would eat from the pool that I stated. 

The only numbers I'm not positive are including are benefits.

The total amount should be different, but it's going to be very close to that figure.  Also all options were accounted for except Peavy as I think it is almost impossible his option would kick in.  I've used other sources in the past, but as a quick reference I like to use baseball-reference.com

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2014-payroll-salaries.shtml" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2014-payroll-salaries.shtml

A lot of that money is due to contracts coming off the books (obviously) but the point is (and I know you are in the group of people that understand this) the Sox have flexibility and their hands are in no way tied.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherrington pulled off one of the ballsiest, most decidedly unconservative trades of the modern era, perhaps all time. 

nice story space

but I'm not buying

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall 2 many upset with the trade

I'm thinking most were ecstatic

perhaps the conservative tag comes from

lack a big contracts

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

True zac.  I didn't mean ballsiest in the sense that it flew in the face of public opinion - just that it was about as unconventional a move as has been done.  

And, yes, the lack of big contracts is probably what the conservative label comes from.  But, in this day and age in a big market, my arguement that not relying on the big contract to appease the fan base or win games is the opposite of conservative.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I also think that the idea that a trade has to be 'ballsie' is kind of idiotic.  You need good trades, not 'ballsie' trades.  It's like movies that show poker tournaments that end on a straight flush beating four of kind.