Let's face it, the bullpen is a mess.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Let's face it, the bullpen is a mess.

I know injuries have a whole lot to do with it, but it will be a major miracle if the Red Sox win the division with a seriously flawed bullpen, with very little experience.

Sure makes you wish we still had a Mike Timlin or an Alan Embree out there. All I see is trouble if our starters don't get to at least the 7th inning.

Britton, De La Rosa and Workman are great for our future, but don't seem ready for a pennant race.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Let's face it, the bullpen is a mess.

It IS a minpor miracle since 2 closers, your top LH reliever, and then the LHP you got to replace him go down. Besides moving your 8th inning guy to the closer, whos 38years old, Taz to the 8th inning and then they are relying on 3 kids that have been starters all year with Workman, Britton and RDLR. Im amazed they are doing as good as they have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

They are feeling the loss of Miller far more than anyone else, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Morales just came back and soon to be Thorton.  

Hopefully Bucholtz come back where Dempster could move to bullpen.

So far, Farrell is doing a good job using the bullpen this year.  by the time the september call up come, Boston will more likely call up three to five bullpen pitchers to keep the bullpen fresh for the rest of the season1!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Buchholz is the key. Get him back dump Dumpster to the pen, all is well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Uehara's age has not been a factor. He has been far, far better than Bailey and Hanrahan. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm thinking it's the starters that have messed things up more than the pen.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The starters ERA for Aug. is 3.90, so based on how they've done all year, they've hit a bit of a bump. The bullpen's ERA for Aug. (3.72) is second-best in the month for the season after July, so the pen has improved from a shaky start. And take away the Wright game and the pen's ERA is lower.

Here is the pen game-by-game for Aug. (IS is inherited runners scored).

3 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    4.2 IP, 1 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    8 IP, 7 ER, 0 IS -- Wright, Workman debacle
    3 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    1 IP, 2 ER, 0 IS 
    3 IP, 3 ER, 3 IS
    5 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    1 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    4 IP, 1 ER, 0 IS BS
    3 IP, 1 ER , 0 IS -- Workman all three innings, so decent work.
    2 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    5 IP, 3 ER, 0 IS -- 4 innings of scoreless relief after Felix allowed seven runs.  Brtton allowed 3.
    2.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    3.2 IP, 2 ER, 4 IS

In 17 games in the month, the pen has had just five bad games, one of them was in the game when Felix was shelled and the other was the Wright debacle when Workman go shelled after Wright's struggled.

Expecting perfection in every game is unreasonable. I'm not saying the pen is great but it's an overstatement to say it's a mess. It's actually been pretty decent the past month and a half.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The starters ERA for Aug. is 3.90, so based on how they've done all year, they've hit a bit of a bump. The bullpen's ERA for Aug. (3.72) is second-best in the month for the season after July, so the pen has improved from a shaky start. And take away the Wright game and the pen's ERA is lower.

Here is the pen game-by-game for Aug. (IS is inherited runners scored).

3 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    4.2 IP, 1 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    2 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    8 IP, 7 ER, 0 IS -- Wright, Workman debacle
    3 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    1 IP, 2 ER, 0 IS 
    3 IP, 3 ER, 3 IS
    5 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    1 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    4 IP, 1 ER, 0 IS BS
    3 IP, 1 ER , 0 IS -- Workman all three innings, so decent work.
    2 IP, 0 ER, 1 IS
    5 IP, 3 ER, 0 IS -- 4 innings of scoreless relief after Felix allowed seven runs.  Brtton allowed 3.
    2.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 IS
    3.2 IP, 2 ER, 4 IS

In 17 games in the month, the pen has had just five bad games, one of them was in the game when Felix was shelled and the other was the Wright debacle when Workman go shelled after Wright's struggled.

Expecting perfection in every game is unreasonable. I'm not saying the pen is great but it's an overstatement to say it's a mess. It's actually been pretty decent the past month and a half.

Great numbers.

As for our starters (pardon the selective small sample sizes):

Dempster: 3 of his last 4 starts have been worse than awful.

Doubront: 9 ERS in his last 2 starts (8 IP).

Peavy: 10 ERs in 18 IP with the Sox over 3 starts (but really, just 1 bad start).

Lackey: Allowed 4 or more ERS in 3 of his last 6 starts (ERA from 2.78 to 3.22).

Lester: 9 ERs in his last 17.2 IP (3 starts), but overall has been much improved with 5 of his last 6 starts at 3 or less ERs allowed..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny that the BP is a mess since they have gone from 13th with a +4.00 era to 8th and a3.89 ERA which is better than Tampa who is supposed to have a great RP staff. Just saying........BTW they are .25 just under the O's, Jays and NYY.

Yep the RP is a complete mess

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I know the numbers say different, but also consider the teams they've played against.

Houston, KC, Toronto and the weakest hitting Yankee lineup in 20 years.

Mostly I see that the bullpen getting over-worked and starting to falter. This is something I was hoping wouldn't happen as our starters are mostly veterans and haven't stepped it up as well as they could have.

So Mr. Moon again proves he is a real smart man ( unlike many of us who are mostly smart alecs) and has hit the nail on the head.

The rotation is as much a mess as the bullpen, maybe moreso.

I was getting real nostalgic listening to Curt Schilling in the ESPN booth as he is the kind of starter we could really use. A guy who doesn't believe in the "quality start" unless he pitches at least 8 innings. Our current group hopes to get to the 6th and then turn in for the night. I know the chicken and beer is gone, at least I hope so, but the mentality remains. We seriously need a horse, an ace or a stud, whatever you want to call it.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I know the numbers say different, but also consider the teams they've played against.

Houston, KC, Toronto and the weakest hitting Yankee lineup in 20 years.

Mostly I see that the bullpen getting over-worked and starting to falter. This is something I was hoping wouldn't happen as our starters are mostly veterans and haven't stepped it up as well as they could have.

So Mr. Moon again proves he is a real smart man ( unlike many of us who are mostly smart alecs) and has hit the nail on the head.

The rotation is as much a mess as the bullpen, maybe moreso.

I was getting real nostalgic listening to Curt Schilling in the ESPN booth as he is the kind of starter we could really use. A guy who doesn't believe in the "quality start" unless he pitches at least 8 innings. Our current group hopes to get to the 6th and then turn in for the night. I know the chicken and beer is gone, at least I hope so, but the mentality remains. We seriously need a horse, an ace or a stud, whatever you want to call it.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

1-The RS BP is 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA, excellent numbers no matter who they faced.

2-Our group of SPs go about as deep as anyone except Detroit.  The WS are 2nd with 6.14, and we have a 5.97.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1-The RS BP is 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA, excellent numbers no matter who they faced.

2-Our group of SPs go about as deep as anyone except Detroit.  The WS are 2nd with 6.14, and we have a 5.97.

You don't need "deep" in the playoffs: you need 3-4 solid starters.

I like Detroit and Tampa's top 3-4 better than ours.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Workman.  Preserved the shutout last night with a couple of K's.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Morales just came back and soon to be Thorton.  

Hopefully Bucholtz come back where Dempster could move to bullpen.

So far, Farrell is doing a good job using the bullpen this year.  by the time the september call up come, Boston will more likely call up three to five bullpen pitchers to keep the bullpen fresh for the rest of the season1!

Did you actually watch last night's stinker in SF. Morales was awful. He gives up a base hit, then walks a guy and finally plunks another after starting with an 0-2 count. Then with the bases juiced we bring in Villarreal. Have you seen his line? In 8.2 innings so far this year he has given up 20 runs, 16 hits and 18 walks. This guy shouldn't be anywhere near a major league bullpen but Farrell brings him in in a tie ballgame with the bases juiced. That he proceeds in 4 pitches to walk in the winning run shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. So what does Farrell do in a 12-1 laugher, he brings in Uehara our best reliever. Go figure!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It IS a minpor miracle since 2 closers, your top LH reliever, and then the LHP you got to replace him go down. Besides moving your 8th inning guy to the closer, whos 38years old, Taz to the 8th inning and then they are relying on 3 kids that have been starters all year with Workman, Britton and RDLR. Im amazed they are doing as good as they have.

I agree. This team deserves a ton of credit for sticking together and making no excuses. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

stan17

Stan Marsh?!??

more like Stan DARSH!!

Sections
Shortcuts