Lets forget his hitting how about that defense at SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Lets forget his hitting how about that defense at SS

Im not knocking Drew here, But the way this kid plays defense (two great plays today), how the heck do you move him from the SS position when Drew comes back? I want that great glove at SS not at 3rd base! and oh ya, I'll take him even if he hits .250!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: Lets forget his hitting how about that defense at SS

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Im not knocking Drew here, But the way this kid plays defense (two great plays today), how the heck do you move him from the SS position when Drew comes back? I want that great glove at SS not at 3rd base! and oh ya, I'll take him even if he hits .250!

It would be foolish not to play Igesias at short forever... Drew could make the bench stronger and play occasionaly when jose needs a rest....have not seen better hands since Aparicio...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Iglesias is the starter of the now and the future

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I love what Iggy is doing too, but he WILL be at 3b when Drew returns. Although some here may not be Drew fans or just prefer Iggy over Drew at SS, the Sox like Drew and are going to put him right back at SS. The truth is, with Iggy and Drew on the left side the Sox are better. Iggy is more versitile and is the obvious choice to mover over. Maybe not the most posular decision, but Drew off the bench in favor of Snyder and Holt is NOT going to happen, nor does it make us a better team.

Dont worry, it looks like hes going to be holding down the SS spot in Boston over the next 5-6 years. Many highlight reels to come.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont like Drew off the bench.  Holt is cheaper and more versatile.  He's a better candidate for our UIF position, IMO.

If you want to move Iggy to SS, Drew doesnt have much value on this team.  I wouldnt do anything rash though.  While Boegarts has 7 HR's in AAA, he also has 0 doubles.  Middlebrooks is hittin .250 in AAA.  We may need to look externally for a 1 year stop-gap.  What does Aramis Ramirez's contract look like?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I dont like Drew off the bench.  Holt is cheaper and more versatile.  He's a better candidate for our UIF position, IMO.

If you want to move Iggy to SS, Drew doesnt have much value on this team.  I wouldnt do anything rash though.  While Boegarts has 7 HR's in AAA, he also has 0 doubles.  Middlebrooks is hittin .250 in AAA.  We may need to look externally for a 1 year stop-gap.  What does Aramis Ramirez's contract look like?

He makes 16M next year and a mutual option for 2015 at 14M or a 4M buyout. So basically its a 20M dollar deal for one year plus his prorated salary this year. All for an oft injured 3b with a bad wheel. Its a weak FA class at 3b next year. 7 of the available FA are 35 or older. 2 are 34. Mark Reynolds and Juan Uribe are probably the 2 best names on that list. Thats not a good sign.

I think they will have WMB and Bogey and maybe even Cecchini in ST next year and one of them will be our 3bman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Who could possibly come to this thread and have there posts deleted? Were they being rude or did they just say hello? I cannot aaume anymore that just because a post gets removed that the poster had said something terrible.

I love Iggy though!

Hey ol friend. I thought it was strange as well. Who knows anymore around here!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I love what Iggy is doing too, but he WILL be at 3b when Drew returns. Although some here may not be Drew fans or just prefer Iggy over Drew at SS, the Sox like Drew and are going to put him right back at SS. The truth is, with Iggy and Drew on the left side the Sox are better. Iggy is more versitile and is the obvious choice to mover over. Maybe not the most posular decision, but Drew off the bench in favor of Snyder and Holt is NOT going to happen, nor does it make us a better team.

Dont worry, it looks like hes going to be holding down the SS spot in Boston over the next 5-6 years. Many highlight reels to come.

Morning, I know that they will play Drew at SS when he comes back. I dont have to like it nor agree with it. If BC had only known that Iggy was going to do this Drew never would have been signed. I think we need to all chip in and buy him a better crystal ball for Christmas this year. there has to be a few for sale on this message board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Who could possibly come to this thread and have there posts deleted? Were they being rude or did they just say hello? I cannot aaume anymore that just because a post gets removed that the poster had said something terrible.

I love Iggy though!

It was Pike. He was posting on the same threads under different names again. The Mods are on to him and probably deleted him again for doing that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Let me say two mutally contradictory things. 

First, I do not see Iglesias making that big a difference in runs scored by the other team, which is what moonslav and others promised long ago.  Plenty of grounders still get thru, plenty of pop flies still drop in, plenty of double plays don't quite get made.  I believe I am correct in saying his UZR at SS is slightly below Drew's. 

Second, Iglesias's defense is so good he by himself is just about worth the price of admission.  Great hands, great fluidity in just about everything he does. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Everything & more that DAD & Bill-806 said he was !!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

First, I do not see Iglesias making that big a difference in runs scored by the other team, which is what moonslav and others promised long ago.  Plenty of grounders still get thru, plenty of pop flies still drop in, plenty of double plays don't quite get made.  I believe I am correct in saying his UZR at SS is slightly below Drew's. 

Second, Iglesias's defense is so good he by himself is just about worth the price of admission.  Great hands, great fluidity in just about everything he does. 

sure did confuse me with your comments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

First, I do not see Iglesias making that big a difference in runs scored by the other team, which is what moonslav and others promised long ago. 

I have admitted that Drew has played better than I expected at SS (when he plays), but certainly Iggy has got to several balls and turned a few double plays that Drew could only dream of doing.

Plenty of grounders still get thru, plenty of pop flies still drop in, plenty of double plays don't quite get made.  I believe I am correct in saying his UZR at SS is slightly below Drew's. 

It should be; Drew has 575 innings at SS and Iggy just 194. The UZR/150 tells the better story:

Iggy: 15.8

Drew: 13.3

He makes difficult plays look easy, so sometimes it might be hard to even realize he is making a play others would not make.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

He makes 16M next year and a mutual option for 2015 at 14M or a 4M buyout. So basically its a 20M dollar deal for one year plus his prorated salary this year. All for an oft injured 3b with a bad wheel. Its a weak FA class at 3b next year. 7 of the available FA are 35 or older. 2 are 34. Mark Reynolds and Juan Uribe are probably the 2 best names on that list. Thats not a good sign.

I think they will have WMB and Bogey and maybe even Cecchini in ST next year and one of them will be our 3bman.

The huge contract is one reason why the cost in prospects will be lower than his skillset would normally require. Plus, we'd have him for 2 playoff cycles for about $24M total (assuming we do not take the 2015 option).

Yes, Boggy, WMB, and possibly Cecchini may be options at 3B next year, but one can take Napoli's place at 1B, and we could always trade Ramirez (or a kid), if it is clear a kid is better (eating some of his contract for sure).

I'm not sure I want ARam until I see any offer, but he's much better than M Young, and he's way better than Drew vs LHPs (one of our biggest weaknesses).

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

First, I do not see Iglesias making that big a difference in runs scored by the other team, which is what moonslav and others promised long ago. 

I have admitted that Drew has played better than I expected at SS (when he plays), but certainly Iggy has got to several balls and turned a few double plays that Drew could only dream of doing.

Plenty of grounders still get thru, plenty of pop flies still drop in, plenty of double plays don't quite get made.  I believe I am correct in saying his UZR at SS is slightly below Drew's. 

It should be; Drew has 575 innings at SS and Iggy just 194. The UZR/150 tells the better story:

Iggy: 15.8

Drew: 13.3

He makes difficult plays look easy, so sometimes it might be hard to even realize he is making a play others would not make.

moonslav, surely you can provide some specific examples of how Iglesias's great play has saved at least a run or two. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Of course, it is a joy to watch him play shortstop.  And it is great that his bat is no longer getting in the way of being able to see him play D.  But, until Middlebrooks turns it around, there really is no other good option other than sliding Jose over to third.  And, the beauty of it is, its all good!  He plays a stellar hot corner as well!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

For now, if Iggy and Drew are going to be in the lineup together, it shouldn't be a problem if Iggy is at 3B if that's what makes the defense stronger. It's not a question on whose the better SS as much as it is who is the better 3B.

For example, if Iggy is a 100 at SS and a 100 at 3B and Drew is a 90 at SS but a 60 at 3B, the left side score would be 190 with Drew at SS and Iggy at 3B but just 160 the other way around.

The numbers aren't based on any kind of metrics. They're just used to make a point. If Iggy is that much better at 3B than Drew, it might simply be better to use that alignment, rather than put Iggy at SS for a slight increase there but a bigger drop off at 3B.

This is assuming that Drew might struggle at 3B. If Drew can be solid enough then fine, put him there with Iggy at SS. In the end, it really shouldn't matter who plays where as long as they get the job done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

sure did confuse me with your comments.

No doubt, I did.  I just think defense is somewhat over-rated in terms of winning games, but under-rated in terms of fan appeal.   I think hitting and pitching win games and defense and baserunning are on the margins but are a lot of fun to watch.   Horrible defense makes a difference, and so does great defense, but most of the time a team's defense is in the middle between those two extremes. 

Here's the defensive plays I remember most so far:  those two great throws by Markakis of the Orioles to nail two of our guys at home plate; the double play by the Sox at Tampa in the 10th inning with the bases loaded and the game tied, which required Middlebrooks to make a clean grab and a good throw to home, then Saltalamacchia to make an easy catch and then a really tough throw to get the runner at first; next play, same game, when Pedroia fielded the drag bunt to get the third out in a game the Sox later won in the 14th inning. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would think that Mr. Drew either should already have himself a third baseman's glove (if theyare different) and also a first baseman's glove in his locker if he plans to play in the majors beyond this season, or he should run out and get these additional gloves.

He is not going to get another team (not even the Red Sox as Iglesias plays short next year even if he goes hitless for the rest of this season) to pay him anywhere near what he is making right now again next season.  Nobody can pay a guy almost $10 M who is going to hit .250 (or less???) the year before.

He is also too injury prone for anyone to thnk that he is going to be able to play 150 games next year.  This is very likely to be his very last year making anywhere near $10 M so he needs to become much more versatile to keep a uniform.

Lots of good shortstops have moved to third to stay in a line up and many have learned to also play first to stay on a major league roster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

That play by Pedey yesterday was absolutely SPECTACULAR. Crucial time in the game, runners on 3rd and 2nd.
    I know this thread is about Iggy, but that play was beautiful.

Sections
Shortcuts