Lets help educate some of these younger fans who ve never been through a REBUILDING before. 65 to 67 ...72 to 75...80 through 84.......those are the models we have to use

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

George Scott, R Smith, Tony C, Longborg, Rico etc.........Burleson, Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Evans, Cooper, Lee and Moret.....Clemens, Hurst, Boggs, Barrett and unfortunatly we gave up on John Tuder and Bobby Ojieda......all those teams that later went to the world series took a couple of yrs of playing young home grown talent. We need to NOT sign guys ( long term) that will not be a factor starting in 2014. We need to trade players ( Lester and Ells and maybe Salty ) who more than likely will not be here in 14 or 15. No to Cody Ross.....No to Pods...Trade Ells asap...entertain moving Lester and Salty...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

George Scott, R Smith, Tony C, Longborg, Rico etc.........Burleson, Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Evans, Cooper, Lee and Moret.....Clemens, Hurst, Boggs, Barrett and unfortunatly we gave up on John Tuder and Bobby Ojieda......all those teams that later went to the world series took a couple of yrs of playing young home grown talent. We need to NOT sign guys ( long term) that will not be a factor starting in 2014. We need to trade players ( Lester and Ells and maybe Salty ) who more than likely will not be here in 14 or 15. No to Cody Ross.....No to Pods...Trade Ells asap...entertain moving Lester and Salty...

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like your idea of using home grown players to rebuild, but the Sox still have plenty of money to use in free agency as well.  They just do not need to sink big bucks into 30 year old guys for long term contracts when they will be served better by signing younger guys for shorter terms.

There was another thread that just was posted today mentioning the Red Sox top 30 porspects.  It is nice to think that lots of those guys will all make contributions, but it is also very unlikely that many of them will do so within the next five years.

To stay competitive (and in the Sox case, to get competitive again quickly) it will take more than just waiting for their own prospects to turn into productive major leaguers.

Living in DE, I see lots of Orioles games and this team is pretty much in the wild cars spot and is only a game out of first in the AL east.  I do not see them having a ton more talent than the Red Sox, but they clearly are better managed and coached.  their players BELEIVE in their manager and produce accordingly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like your idea of using home grown players to rebuild, but the Sox still have plenty of money to use in free agency as well.  They just do not need to sink big bucks into 30 year old guys for long term contracts when they will be served better by signing younger guys for shorter terms.

There was another thread that just was posted today mentioning the Red Sox top 30 porspects.  It is nice to think that lots of those guys will all make contributions, but it is also very unlikely that many of them will do so within the next five years.

To stay competitive (and in the Sox case, to get competitive again quickly) it will take more than just waiting for their own prospects to turn into productive major leaguers.

Living in DE, I see lots of Orioles games and this team is pretty much in the wild cars spot and is only a game out of first in the AL east.  I do not see them having a ton more talent than the Red Sox, but they clearly are better managed and coached.  their players BELEIVE in their manager and produce accordingly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Which is exactly why Bobby Valentine needs to go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We aren't that far away.  For the RS, I don't think it is rebuilding as much as introducing one key prospect and one lesser prospect each year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Red Sox with Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Salty/Lavarnway, Ross, Ellsbury, a real 1bman, a real LFer with a rotation of Buchholz, Lackey, Lester, Doubrant, plus a FA/trade with the piece they got from LA as depth is a pretty formiable team. I would highly highly doubt the Sox have a payroll less than 120 million it is sitting at 38 million now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Red Sox with Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Salty/Lavarnway, Ross, Ellsbury, a real 1bman, a real LFer with a rotation of Buchholz, Lackey, Lester, Doubrant, plus a FA/trade with the piece they got from LA as depth is a pretty formiable team. I would highly highly doubt the Sox have a payroll less than 120 million it is sitting at 38 million now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

the sentiment ive been writing all year as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I partially agree. I grew up with Burleson, Rice, Lynn, Evans, etc., in the early mid 70's. I think they WILL go after some FA, but on shorter term deals. Not sure we will see anything over 4 yrs. Unless its a mid-20's stud, but I dont see anyone in their sights that fits that description without issues. I agree that we need to have more "Homegrown" players, and we will. But you HAVE to mix in some veteran FA/trade to balance it out. They just need to be smart about it. Its OK to pay a high salary, just not a lot of years. Thats where they made the mistake IMO.

IMO, Lester will be here and should. I think Ells should be offered a deal, if not accepted (which it wont be) we should try and move him this winter. I heard a couple good possibilities for low year OF options. The one I would like to see is Torii Hunter. Still hits over .300 with some power and good defense. Is a true leader and plays the game the right way. The other is Soriano from the Cubs who has 2 yrs left at 18per. I know its high $$, but if we took all of it (an we could afford it) we could have the Cubs throw in another prospect in the deal. And its only 2 years. Soriano would kill in Boston. Hes has 104 RBI this year with 30 HR, so he can still rake. On defense he has a .996 fielding % this year. on the down side, he K's a ton.

Im on the side of re-signing Papi for 2yrs and also Cody Ross for a 2-3 yr deal. I let Salty play out his final arb year to see if he can be the catcher that all the scouts said he could be before Atlanta and Texas messed him up. Lavarnway needs a ton of work on defense still, and could either be the BU or get another year at AAA so he can get as much time as possible behind the plate. Just because hes 25 doesnt mean he should be on the big club. Catchers usually develop later than other position guys or pitchers. Its really Ok for him to be in pawtucket another year. Really. By the end of 2013 we should have a clearer picture of the catching situation.

Look to possibly inquire about Napoli for a 3-4 yr deal around 10mm per. Could easily play 1b/C and DH. Would have good numbers at Fenway. Could they also trade for Andrus for his final 2 yrs until Bogaerts is ready? (Just another rumor/suggestion I heard) I guess anything is possible this winter.

Point is, you cant depend fully on our "Kids" doing it all. We can, should, and will spend some $$ this winter. They just need to spend it more wisely than they have the last 3 years. After all the arb cases and possible re-signs (Ells,Papi and Ross included) are taken care of they should be around 90-100mm or so. I see a payroll around 120-130mm when its all said and done...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I partially agree. I grew up with Burleson, Rice, Lynn, Evans, etc., in the early mid 70's. I think they WILL go after some FA, but on shorter term deals. Not sure we will see anything over 4 yrs. Unless its a mid-20's stud, but I dont see anyone in their sights that fits that description without issues. I agree that we need to have more "Homegrown" players, and we will. But you HAVE to mix in some veteran FA/trade to balance it out. They just need to be smart about it. Its OK to pay a high salary, just not a lot of years. Thats where they made the mistake IMO.

IMO, Lester will be here and should. I think Ells should be offered a deal, if not accepted (which it wont be) we should try and move him this winter. I heard a couple good possibilities for low year OF options. The one I would like to see is Torii Hunter. Still hits over .300 with some power and good defense. Is a true leader and plays the game the right way. The other is Soriano from the Cubs who has 2 yrs left at 18per. I know its high $$, but if we took all of it (an we could afford it) we could have the Cubs throw in another prospect in the deal. And its only 2 years. Soriano would kill in Boston. Hes has 104 RBI this year with 30 HR, so he can still rake. On defense he has a .996 fielding % this year. on the down side, he K's a ton.

Im on the side of re-signing Papi for 2yrs and also Cody Ross for a 2-3 yr deal. I let Salty play out his final arb year to see if he can be the catcher that all the scouts said he could be before Atlanta and Texas messed him up. Lavarnway needs a ton of work on defense still, and could either be the BU or get another year at AAA so he can get as much time as possible behind the plate. Just because hes 25 doesnt mean he should be on the big club. Catchers usually develop later than other position guys or pitchers. Its really Ok for him to be in pawtucket another year. Really. By the end of 2013 we should have a clearer picture of the catching situation.

Look to possibly inquire about Napoli for a 3-4 yr deal around 10mm per. Could easily play 1b/C and DH. Would have good numbers at Fenway. Could they also trade for Andrus for his final 2 yrs until Bogaerts is ready? (Just another rumor/suggestion I heard) I guess anything is possible this winter.

Point is, you cant depend fully on our "Kids" doing it all. We can, should, and will spend some $$ this winter. They just need to spend it more wisely than they have the last 3 years. After all the arb cases and possible re-signs (Ells,Papi and Ross included) are taken care of they should be around 90-100mm or so. I see a payroll around 120-130mm when its all said and done...

South....lets look at nxt yrs team as now with the players that are signed, and the prospects that are close to make the jump.

Ells   cf

Pedey  2b

Midds   3b

Salty/Lava

For pitching we ve got

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

The prospects that I see that are close, and we need to find out about either for potential trade chips down the road, or will be regulers come 2014/15 and 16. They are

Iggy

Brentz

Kalish

De La Rosa

Tazawa

We also have to keep in mind that Barnes and JB Jr and prob one or two others will be called up after the break to start getting them ready for 2014. they will need to get their feet wet in 2013 if they are going to be key players in 2014, agree?

ok...so with that in mind, and I think we agree so far. we ve got

Ells  cf

Pedey 2b

Iggy  ss

Midds  3b

Brentz  rf

Lava/Salty c

That leaves lf, 1b, and dh to be filled for 2013. If Hunter would do a 1 yr deal then yes, a good option. Though I really think He ll get 2 yrs from somebody ( Mike Cameron ? ) and I really do not want to pay him that 2nd yr at 8/9m to be a role model. Papi....dh? hey...I LOVE  the big guy as much as any rs fan, and would give him a 1 yr 15m deal as a parting gift even if he didn,t play 1 game. He ,s earned it, but for 2014 I would have my eye on trading for Cabrerra from the Tigers, or signing Kendry Morales to dh. In 2014 I do not want Papi sitting back somewhere collecting 12 or 13m for being a hero. Id rather overpay for him at one yr, when we have the money, and winning the WS is unlikely.At 1b I would really like to pry Morneau away from the twins for 2 or 3 blocked b level prospects. Cecchini is a twins type player along with a Workman, Britton, or Olmstead might get it done. The twins are in TOTAL REBUILD mode and prob would love to free up the last yr of his contract and get a few decent prospects in return. I like the Soriano move alot for lf over Ross (def not 3 yrs) or Hunter. It would give us Flexability going into 14 of having him dh. So....lets make the moves for Soriano and Morneau. here,s our 2113 lineup

Ells    cf

Pedey  2b

Papi

Soriano   lf

Morneau   1b

Midds     3b

Brentz  rf

Salty/Lava  c

Iggy   ss

Kalish, Nava, Ciriaco, Gomez, and Aviles fill out the roster. A nice balanced veteran/youth off and def lineup. Also affording us great financial flexibility for 2014 and beyond. We could move Morneau, Ells, Salty, and even Soriano and Papi at the break if it looks like we won,t contend and re coup some prospects, while having Bradley and Boggy ready to get their feet wet. Not bad....

Pitching...

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

De La Rosa/Tazawa

is the way I see it. Here the big decision for the front office this yr. We have a top 10 pick and we hopefully won,t have another one for 20 yrs or so. Which  means we can sign a top free agent without giving up said pick. The way I see it there are only 2 guys worth signing that can be impact players for us in 2014 and beyond ( which I hope is when we will be in the hunt for the playoffs again) They are Hamilton and Greinke. Both will require min 5 yr deals 20m +. Both have question marks. One had anxiety issues at 20 yrs old, and the other is a recovering addict. Hmmmm...Signing Hamilton would negate the Soriano move, so we would save a little salery there. Signing Greinke would require us to have to move one of Buch, Lester, or Lackey imo. The reason being if we are looking at 2014 we need to give big innings to Doubront, De La Rosa, Tazawa, Barnes, and prob Webster in the 4/5 slots nxt yr. It,s imperitive that we do that. Lester would bring back the best prospects imo and there is a 50/50 chance as of now that the sox do not pick up his option in 14. Lots and lots of tough decisions to be made, its going to be a fun hot stove for sure

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

Great post from Martha's Vineyard.

Jimmy.....thx. Lived in W Tis for 7 yrs before moving down here in Fl in 04. My fav place on the planet. Miss it alot...say hello to crazy kap in ob for me...lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

South....lets look at nxt yrs team as now with the players that are signed, and the prospects that are close to make the jump.

Ells   cf

Pedey  2b

Midds   3b

Salty/Lava

For pitching we ve got

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

The prospects that I see that are close, and we need to find out about either for potential trade chips down the road, or will be regulers come 2014/15 and 16. They are

Iggy

Brentz

Kalish

De La Rosa

Tazawa

We also have to keep in mind that Barnes and JB Jr and prob one or two others will be called up after the break to start getting them ready for 2014. they will need to get their feet wet in 2013 if they are going to be key players in 2014, agree?

Ells  cf

Pedey 2b

Iggy  ss

Midds  3b

Brentz  rf

Lava/Salty c

That leaves lf, 1b, and dh to be filled for 2013. If Hunter would do a 1 yr deal then yes, a good option. Though I really think He ll get 2 yrs from somebody ( Mike Cameron ? ) and I really do not want to pay him that 2nd yr at 8/9m to be a role model. Papi....dh? hey...I LOVE  the big guy as much as any rs fan, and would give him a 1 yr 15m deal as a parting gift even if he didn,t play 1 game. He ,s earned it, but for 2014 I would have my eye on trading for Cabrerra from the Tigers, or signing Kendry Morales to dh. In 2014 I do not want Papi sitting back somewhere collecting 12 or 13m for being a hero. Id rather overpay for him at one yr, when we have the money, and winning the WS is unlikely.At 1b I would really like to pry Morneau away from the twins for 2 or 3 blocked b level prospects. Cecchini is a twins type player along with a Workman, Britton, or Olmstead might get it done. The twins are in TOTAL REBUILD mode and prob would love to free up the last yr of his contract and get a few decent prospects in return. I like the Soriano move alot for lf over Ross (def not 3 yrs) or Hunter. It would give us Flexability going into 14 of having him dh. So....lets make the moves for Soriano and Morneau. here,s our 2113 lineup

Ells    cf

Pedey  2b

Papi

Soriano   lf

Morneau   1b

Midds     3b

Brentz  rf

Salty/Lava  c

Iggy   ss

Kalish, Nava, Ciriaco, Gomez, and Aviles fill out the roster. A nice balanced veteran/youth off and def lineup. Also affording us great financial flexibility for 2014 and beyond. We could move Morneau, Ells, Salty, and even Soriano and Papi at the break if it looks like we won,t contend and re coup some prospects, while having Bradley and Boggy ready to get their feet wet. Not bad....

Pitching...

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

De La Rosa/Tazawa

is the way I see it. Here the big decision for the front office this yr. We have a top 10 pick and we hopefully won,t have another one for 20 yrs or so. Which  means we can sign a top free agent without giving up said pick. The way I see it there are only 2 guys worth signing that can be impact players for us in 2014 and beyond ( which I hope is when we will be in the hunt for the playoffs again) They are Hamilton and Greinke. Both will require min 5 yr deals 20m +. Both have question marks. One had anxiety issues at 20 yrs old, and the other is a recovering addict. Hmmmm...Signing Hamilton would negate the Soriano move, so we would save a little salery there. Signing Greinke would require us to have to move one of Buch, Lester, or Lackey imo. The reason being if we are looking at 2014 we need to give big innings to Doubront, De La Rosa, Tazawa, Barnes, and prob Webster in the 4/5 slots nxt yr. It,s imperitive that we do that. Lester would bring back the best prospects imo and there is a 50/50 chance as of now that the sox do not pick up his option in 14. Lots and lots of tough decisions to be made, its going to be a fun hot stove for sure

The Morneau idea is nice. Hes signed through 2013 for 14mm, so would he be a place holder until Shaw or Sands are ready? (or whoever the 1b of the future is) Also have to be careful who we give up for only 1yr of his services. Blocked prospects make sense. He will be 32 in May, so another deal beyond 2013 probably would not happen.

It would be a dream come true to get Miggy in Boston, but say bye bye to all our top prospects. Especially if he wins the triple crown this year. He leads in all catagories as of today.

Like I said on Lester, if we can get back players that will without doubt make this team better then Im in. I would absolutely say no if there wasnt a young pitcher coming back for him.

Bogaerts could also be the SS come 2014 and they could possibly include Iggy in a trade. The kids' impressing everyone. I like Iggy, but if I had to choose it would be Bogaerts by a mile...

And yes, it sure is going to be a fun hot stove season this year. Im sure there will be a couple surprises for us all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Ells   cf

Pedey  2b

Midds   3b

Salty/Lava

For pitching we ve got

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

Iggy

Brentz

Kalish

De La Rosa

Tazawa

Ells  cf

Pedey 2b

Iggy  ss

Midds  3b

Brentz  rf

Lava/Salty c

Ells    cf

Pedey  2b

Papi

Soriano   lf

Morneau   1b

Midds     3b

Brentz  rf

Salty/Lava  c

Iggy   ss

Pitching...

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Doubront

De La Rosa/Tazawa

The Morneau idea is nice. Hes signed through 2013 for 14mm, so would he be a place holder until Shaw or Sands are ready? (or whoever the 1b of the future is) Also have to be careful who we give up for only 1yr of his services. Blocked prospects make sense. He will be 32 in May, so another deal beyond 2013 probably would not happen.

It would be a dream come true to get Miggy in Boston, but say bye bye to all our top prospects. Especially if he wins the triple crown this year. He leads in all catagories as of today.

Like I said on Lester, if we can get back players that will without doubt make this team better then Im in. I would absolutely say no if there wasnt a young pitcher coming back for him.

Bogaerts could also be the SS come 2014 and they could possibly include Iggy in a trade. The kids' impressing everyone. I like Iggy, but if I had to choose it would be Bogaerts by a mile...

And yes, it sure is going to be a fun hot stove season this year. Im sure there will be a couple surprises for us all.

The great thing about the trade with the dodgers is has allowed us, if we chose, to basically BUY other teams top prospects by taking on some of their bad contracts. For example with Lester. Would Seattle take him and Kalish ( Josh Reddick anyone? ) for Danny Hultzen and Chone Figgins ? I think they may. They would still have Walker and Paxton very close nxt yr. They ve got a 2 yr window with king....and Lester and Kalish will help them maybe compete for a wc more than Hultzen n Figgins for those 2 yrs

Before the season started the RS farm system was ranked 11th by fangraphs, and John Sickles. Where would it rank nxt yr if you add Hultzen, De La Rosa, Webster, and one of the top college arms in the draft ? Detroit is ranked near the bottom. weak on pitching. At the end of 2013, with tons of bloated contracts, would they consider a package of say...Iggy (gold glove contender in 13) Barnes, Doubront and swihart ?

Sections
Shortcuts