let's keep building the back end of the bullpen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

let's keep building the back end of the bullpen

The teams that have built up the backend of the bullpens have been the ones who have had success, Diamondbacks.  Before spring begins we will be able to find a starter or two that fits our budget, but the bullpen is where we need to spend what recsources that we have availabale.  It would be nice not to have to throw our best pitcher's everyday and keep the pen and the rotation more fresh. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: let's keep building the back end of the bullpen

Personally, I'd like to see what Doubront, Tazawa, and Bowden could do.  These guys started in the minors, and even if 2 of them worked out, it would give us an in-house 6/7 option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to Re: let's keep building the back end of the bullpen:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I'd like to see what Doubront, Tazawa, and Bowden could do.  These guys started in the minors, and even if 2 of them worked out, it would give us an in-house 6/7 option.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I think over the past few seasons we have had a GOOD Long look at Bowden and it doesnt look like he has what it takes. When we got to see Tazawa a couple years ago he looked like a mediocer pitcher at best...but that was a small sample. I would like to see what Doubrant can do, but he has to stay healthy first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Bowden and Tarzawa ain't cutting it.

Doubrant, IMO, has the #5 spot in the rotation right now; it's his job to lose in ST

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to let's keep building the back end of the bullpen:
    [QUOTE]The teams that have built up the backend of the bullpens have been the ones who have had success, Diamondbacks.  Before spring begins we will be able to find a starter or two that fits our budget, but the bullpen is where we need to spend what recsources that we have availabale.  It would be nice not to have to throw our best pitcher's everyday and keep the pen and the rotation more fresh. 
    Posted by bigdog1[/QUOTE]

Arizona also had a very good 1-2 in there rotation, with a good #3 in Saunders. JJ Putz was their closer, he is no Mariano. Bullpens are very flakey, they change every year. Which is why I dont think its wise for the sox to go out and spend big money on Madson, or give up top prospects for Bailey. Papelbon was a SP prospect who didnt have the secondary pitches to start, so they took a shot and made him a releiver. That can happen again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

notice the Sox have yet to cut ties with Wakefield, I am now willing to wager he gets the old fashioned "Spring Invite".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Something to keep in mind re. the bullpen and OPTIONS avaiable;
    Albers, Atch, Bowden, Doubrount, A. Miller, T. Miller and Morales have "0" options left.

So if the Sox weren't happy with their performances or if they wanted to send them down ---they would have to clear waivers. 

I personally think Atch and Bowden have benefitted from being able to come and go to the big club. I think one or both are ready to continue to contribute.

Position players like McDonald and Punto are in the same boat-"0" options.

I may not be interpreting the rules correctly--read more about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: let's keep building the back end of the bullpen:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I'd like to see what Doubront, Tazawa, and Bowden could do.  These guys started in the minors, and even if 2 of them worked out, it would give us an in-house 6/7 option.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% I really think Bowden can have a big impact in our bullpen next year.  He's fallen from stature but he's never exactly had a bad year and proven to be a bust either.  WIth all the horrible guys we've had in the bullpen the past couple years I don't understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance.

He also has excellent control, and can rack up the innings so he could probably spot start as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

A guy who's up for arb for the Pirates is a pretty fair closer--Hanrahan. He will have a $4 M salary for 2012. It would seem to me the Pirates may be a good trade partner for our closer if management feels the Sox need to solidify that area.
    Perhaps a closer like Melancon, who has years of control ahead and perhaps Youk to play first and Reddick might be enough to return Hanrahan to close and McGehee to play third.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

It is with out a doubt the biggest area of concern, and I've been harping about it since the trade dead-line. The Sox aren't going anywhere if they don't get a deep and reliable pen. The Jenks, Albers, Atchinson, Morales, etc just can't cut it. With Bard becoming a starter the Sox need at least 5 arms to compete for a championship, otherwise they'll be luckey to stumble into WC and be one and done in post-season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Something to keep in mind re. the bullpen and OPTIONS avaiable;
    Albers, Atch, Bowden, Doubrount, A. Miller, T. Miller and Morales have "0" options left.

So if the Sox weren't happy with their performances or if they wanted to send them down ---they would have to clear waivers. 

I personally think Atch and Bowden have benefitted from being able to come and go to the big club. I think one or both are ready to continue to contribute.

Position players like McDonald and Punto are in the same boat-"0" options.

I may not be interpreting the rules correctly--read more about it.

The options issue could determine who starts on the opening day roster and who starts in AAA.

To me, if healthy and not traded, these are the only 7 pitchers sure to make the cut:
    Beckett, Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves, Melancon, and Jenks.

Here's the rest fighting for 5 slots:
    Doubront
    Morales
    A. Miller (has signed a nonguaranteed deal, so I think he can start in AAA)
    Tazawa (only one with options left-2)
    Albers
    Atchison
    Bowden

I think if Tazawa looks good, he should make the team, so that leaves 6 guys for 4 slots. It appears that perhaps a couple of 2 for 1 trades could and should be made (or a 3 for 1 deal) to improve our pen. I'd like to keep Doubront, Morales, and Taz, but I'm not sure what we could get by trading Albers, Atchison, and Bowden for 1 better arm.

If someone gets hurt, the choices are easier, but I still think a 2 for 1 deal might make sense to improve the bottom of the pen.