Let's keep building

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Let's keep building

Guy's I know we are having a terrific year but I am hoping that young been sticks to his plans and keep building the farm system.  The price that teams are asking for at the trade deadline is way to expensive.  Let's keeping bringing the kids and see what they can do.  It's been fun to watch this team play, I hope it keeps rubbing off onto the kids!! MLB is changing into a young mans game fewer teams in the future are going to overpay for player's.  If a team does not start now and keep building thier farm systems, they not be able to compete for 5 to 7 yrs.  PLEASE BEEN STICK TO THE PLAN!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Let's keep building

In response to bigdog1's comment:

Guy's I know we are having a terrific year but I am hoping that young been sticks to his plans and keep building the farm system.  The price that teams are asking for at the trade deadline is way to expensive.  Let's keeping bringing the kids and see what they can do.  It's been fun to watch this team play, I hope it keeps rubbing off onto the kids!! MLB is changing into a young mans game fewer teams in the future are going to overpay for player's.  If a team does not start now and keep building thier farm systems, they not be able to compete for 5 to 7 yrs.  PLEASE BEEN STICK TO THE PLAN!!

no guts no glory

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

My guess is that Ben will stick to the plan and not overpay for marginal upgrades. He does have and has said as much a responsibility to bolster the club given where they are in the standings. Who that is and at what cost remains to be seen. He has plenty of chips and an owner that has already stated publicly that he'll allow Cherington to add payroll if necessary. I don't see a block buster coming. I doubt that he'll trade any of our top tier prospects unless the player coming this way is someone that is under the teams control and profiles as a middle of the order bat or top of the rotation pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Is it bad that only thing I took from this post is that our GMs name is Been Cherington aka "young Been"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If the Sox had only one glaring need going forward I would not mind trading a prospect or two for a proven piece, but right now the Red Sox have several big (maybe not all glaring) needs.

The bullpen is showing holes, the starting rotation needs at least one number 3 type guy and the lineup has shown signs of weakness as well.

The offense has dipped considerably now for about the last three weeks.  it is nice to hear that they are still leading the league in runs scored per game, but that may not last much longer as the offense has not done well lately and last night was only one of many games where this has happened.  The last Oakland series was terrible for another example.

To trade for bullpen help, another starter and at least one decent hitter to try to win it all this year is going to cost at least four top prospects and probably another three decent ones.  Such moves will again weaken the internal talent pool back to where it was about four years ago.

I say continue to play the young guys (Workman, Britton, Holt, Beato have looked good so far and Brentz, De La Rosa and Bogearts, etc have not yet had a chance) on the 40 man roster and see where it takes us. 

Very few of these mid summer trades really turn a team around and it you need to make three of them it is even less likely that all three such trades will work out well at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Very few of these mid summer trades really turn a team around and it you need to make three of them it is even less likely that all three such trades will work out well at all.

Keep all top prospects and all meaningful ones as well.

Trade only blocked prospects and those on the borderline Rule 5 Draft dilema we will face this winter. 

Try and pick up a decent releif pitcher and a 3Bman that can hit lefties. Any SP will be way overpriced.

Keep the future intact, but try and tweek this year's roster along the way.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Is it bad that only thing I took from this post is that our GMs name is Been Cherington aka "young Been"?

No, Im stuck on that too. But only because after he said it once at the start and then again at the end, only then did i realize that it wasnt a typo.

BC will stick to the plan. After what happened the last few years, signing big name players instead of the "right" players. IMO, Ben will stay the course.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to bigdog1's comment:

no guts no glory

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Trading away top prospects for rentals is just plain dumb.  It made more sense 3 years ago than it did today.   You could get 2 draft picks and spend as much money as you want in the draft.  Today that is very limited, which waters down the value of a rental.  Coupled with the fact that the new CBA agreements make it much harder for first division teams to build their farm system and it all adds up to a greater sense of value to build from within.

I'm sick and tired of seeing guys traded away come back to bite us in the a88.   Now this doesn't mean that I'm not willing to sacrifice a few mid level prospects for some pitching help but I just can't condone throwing away the farm for a big name.  We have a really unique position here were we have a very strong farm system with lots of pitching depth (we've seen what that can do for teams like the rays) but we actually have the ownership that isn't afraid to spend up to the luxury tax.

In 2-3 years from now we have a chance of not only having one of the most talented teams in baseball; but a young and cost controlled team.  When you have several pitchers and position players making peanuts then you can go out and spend 20 on a player to complete your team and not even blink.  

I understand that some are "now now now we much win now" But I want to be a dominant team for a decade not just focus on one year.  We can STILL win with what we have. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Yaz's comment:

In 2-3 years from now we have a chance of not only having one of the most talented teams in baseball; but a young and cost controlled team.  When you have several pitchers and position players making peanuts then you can go out and spend 20 on a player to complete your team and not even blink.  

I understand that some are "now now now we much win now" But I want to be a dominant team for a decade not just focus on one year.  We can STILL win with what we have. 

I agree. I believe the Red Sox team of this year[ although competitive] is not a playoff team. It has been a nice, overachieving season which is turning into more of reality as the schedule moves forward. I would hope the organization does not sacrifice a very near future of talent which can compare to the Rays and Orioles by thinking of just this year.

I still think we can compete.  I don't think we are a WS caliber team, but who knows if we get hot at the end of the season.  If Clay is healthy and either one of Lackey/Lester/Doubront is pitching really well we could make a run in the playoffs.   Also we may have some more bullpen help than we think come playoff time.  If the starters are healthy Dempster can move to the bullpen in the playoffs and Workman + Britton might be able to add some value.  I also think the Sox still pick up an arm as well.

There is nothing wrong with trying to move a few pieces and hope for a clean bill of health and try to compete for a title....that I'm ok with.  What I don't want to see are these insane trade propsoals for guys like Cliff Lee and King Felix.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Trade only blocked prospects and those on the borderline Rule 5 Draft dilema we will face this winter. 

Try and pick up a decent releif pitcher and a 3Bman that can hit lefties. Any SP will be way overpriced.

Sox4ever

+1   Sounds like a good plan.

I think most of the pitching needs can be taken care of internally.   IMO, a couple of low cost, 2nd tier tweaks is all this team needs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Yaz's comment:

I agree. I believe the Red Sox team of this year[ although competitive] is not a playoff team. It has been a nice, overachieving season which is turning into more of reality as the schedule moves forward. I would hope the organization does not sacrifice a very near future of talent which can compare to the Rays and Orioles by thinking of just this year.

I still think we can compete.  I don't think we are a WS caliber team, but who knows if we get hot at the end of the season.  If Clay is healthy and either one of Lackey/Lester/Doubront is pitching really well we could make a run in the playoffs.   Also we may have some more bullpen help than we think come playoff time.  If the starters are healthy Dempster can move to the bullpen in the playoffs and Workman + Britton might be able to add some value.  I also think the Sox still pick up an arm as well.

There is nothing wrong with trying to move a few pieces and hope for a clean bill of health and try to compete for a title....that I'm ok with.  What I don't want to see are these insane trade propsoals for guys like Cliff Lee and King Felix.  

How is the best team in the American not a legitimate WS contender? The Sox aren't 5 games back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You're not a WS contender until you make the playoffs.  I'm not 100% whole heartedly comfortable with our starting rotation going into the playoffs.

Who is going to pitch #1 and #2 in a 5-7 game series????

I think the Red Sox are good enough and have enough talent to go all the way if everything breaks right, but there are a lot of question marks right now.  perhaps I should have rephrased my statement. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I would rather see the Red Sox hold onto their younger organizational talent as well. I'd be in favor of trading a Jon Lester and Will Middlebrooks in the right deal (for someone of Cliff Lee's ilk), but cost-controlled near minimum salaried players who aren't being blocked by anyone else should remain with the team. I'd rather give a Jose Contreras a chance out of the bullpen (he's put up good numbers this year) before trading legitimate prospects for somebody. Keep in mind that some teams might place players on irrevocable waivers come August, just to rid themselves of contracts. The Red Sox are in a good position to take advantage of such a situation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

1B ?

2B Pedroia 29

3B Bogaerts 20

SS Iggy 23

LF Brentz 24

CF Bradley 23

RF ?

C Lavarnway 25

DH Middlebrooks 24

Right now that's the future I see in our system. The only problem I see here is that all these guys other than Bradley hit from the right side. Obviously some of these guys will be moved, as there's only a couple of the current MLB players there. moving some of the MLB talent for a younger corner OF and 1B?

The pitching actually looks even better to me.

Starter Candidates

Buchholz 28

Doubront 25

Workman 24

De la Rosa 24

Webster 23

Barnes 23

Ranaudo 23

Pen Types

Miller 28

Tazawa 27

Britton 24

Wilson 26

Morales 27

All in all they have very good potential to keep a young, controled team for a number of years. "Been" has continued Theo's build the minor system mantra into what has to be one of the top organizations out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

1B ?

2B Pedroia 29

3B Bogaerts 20

SS Iggy 23

LF Brentz 24

CF Bradley 23

RF ?

C Lavarnway 25

DH Middlebrooks 24

Right now that's the future I see in our system. The only problem I see here is that all these guys other than Bradley hit from the right side. Obviously some of these guys will be moved, as there's only a couple of the current MLB players there. moving some of the MLB talent for a younger corner OF and 1B?

The pitching actually looks even better to me.

Starter Candidates

Buchholz 28

Doubront 25

Workman 24

De la Rosa 24

Webster 23

Barnes 23

Ranaudo 23

Pen Types

Miller 28

Tazawa 27

Britton 24

Wilson 26

Morales 27

All in all they have very good potential to keep a young, controled team for a number of years. "Been" has continued Theo's build the minor system mantra into what has to be one of the top organizations out there.

That's a good base....but I really don't think Lavarnway or Brentz will ever be starters in Boston.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Maybe not, but again, this is all within the system. Not counting any free agents or trades, or even most of the current players. If all these guys (or even most of them) are in these spots, there's a LOT of money to throw at a few big time FAs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

Maybe not, but again, this is all within the system. Not counting any free agents or trades, or even most of the current players. If all these guys (or even most of them) are in these spots, there's a LOT of money to throw at a few big time FAs.

Yes exactly....anytime you have more homegrown talent on the team it's easier to fill in the holes.  I can't ever think of a time that a lineup has been all homegrown.  Some of those guys I suspect are not to be counted on as everyday players and will either be traded to a second market team or platooned with other players.....still it's nice to look at an all prospect team and dream. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Only Boegarts seems to be a surefire future positional starter. I'm not even sure about Bradley. His AAA numbers aren't the greatest and he struggled at the major league level too. I think we got our hopes too high with him based on AA performance and one spring training. The immortal Cesar Crespo once had a heck of a spring training too. Bradley might be more of a platoon type, or a guy you can live with at the bottom of your batting order because of his plus defense. Brentz also seems like more of a platoon player. The Red Sox should think long and hard before giving up on Ellsbury.

On the pitching front, I'd be happy if just two out of Ranaudo/De la Rosa/Webster/Barnes/Workman/Owens became rotation mainstays. I think it's too early to judge Owens (still just in A-ball), and something tells me that Workman is the second coming of Kason Gabbard, an overachiever who will have his moments from time to time and then flame out early.

I'm a little nervous about Webster's early difficulties at the major league level. He's not even doing all that great at Pawtucket either. There was an article raving about Webster's swing-and-miss rate, but that doesn't matter all that much if the batter ultimately connects (as often the case).

The good news is that whether these players work out as starters or not, they should at least be worthy of major league roster spots, and even that saves significant money for elite free agents, be it a frontline starter, an established closer, a power-hitter, or all three.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So after a slow start JBJ has his average up to .288 with a .381 OBP and 8 HR's in only 205 at bats at only 430 at bats above double A and we are concerned about his ability to produce???? he has the approach that translates to MLB with adjustments and there is no reason to doubt his progress.....for what it's worth his truly elite tool is his defense so if he could give us that at the MLB level in a year or two....thats good.  JBJ will never be an offensive minded player, but he will be good enough to make his GG defense allow him to be a good above average MLB player. Yes Bogaerts is a franchise corner stone but JBJ is the kind of player you like to build around guys like Bogaerts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The offense has dipped considerably now for about the last three weeks.  it is nice to hear that they are still leading the league in runs scored per game, but that may not last much longer as the offense has not done well lately and last night was only one of many games where this has happened.  The last Oakland series was terrible for another example.

Over the past three weeks, we've averaged 4.75 RPG.  Over the past 10 games, they've averaged exactly 5 RPG.  And the teams we faced in the past ten games were 1st, 3rd, 4th and 8th in ERA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

There is no true player out there who can be a "difference-maker".  Garza?  He is a "good" pitcher but not a "great" pitcher.  

"If" Soriano goes to the Yankees, he will be an upgrade but not a player who will make a significant difference for the Yankees.  

Besides, with the extra wild card berth, not many teams will be "sellers".  As of now, these are the teams who I think will be "sellers".

• Cubs
    • White Sox
    • Brewers
    • Marlins
    • Twins
    • Actros
    • Mariners
    • Padres
    • Blue Jays 
    • Rockies
    • Royals
    • Mets
    • Angels

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

There is no true player out there who can be a "difference-maker".  Garza?  He is a "good" pitcher but not a "great" pitcher.  

"If" Soriano goes to the Yankees, he will be an upgrade but not a player who will make a significant difference for the Yankees.  

Besides, with the extra wild card berth, not many teams will be "sellers".  As of now, these are the teams who I think will be "sellers".

• Cubs
    • White Sox
    • Brewers
    • Marlins
    • Twins
    • Actros
    • Mariners
    • Padres
    • Blue Jays 
    • Rockies
    • Royals
    • Mets
    • Angels

I don't know that I agree that there's no difference makers available. There may not be any readily avialble impact players with for sale signs on thier backs. Teams that are looking to improve can and will be able to aquire players that make them a better team. Was Dave Roberts not a difference maker in 2004. 

Just for giggles say the sox add a player like Micheal Young to man 3rd...Does that not help to solidify a position in our lineup that would then allow Iglesias to move to SS with Drew playing the utility role. In the end it's all in how one defines "A difference maker". 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

The Cards are looking to shore up the SS  position. Drew is very familiar with the NL...perhaps for a relief pitcher and make the move for Young. If Iggy gets hurt @ ss bring up Boggie or Holt.

Sections
Shortcuts