Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

Now that they've blown well past the 189 million tax threshold by signing Tanaka, and now that we know they're the same old Yankees, and now that they've told their fans how badly they want to get back to the postseason, no matter the cost, maybe we can revisit this question: why didn't they pay Cano?  Who was sort of, after all, their best player?

Maybe it's because they're making all this up as they go along, huh?

(Please note: I realize this may offend some of my Yankee fan friends here, but after all, this is just about having some fun.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this could very well be the truth....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I admitt I really don't know, and perhaps we never will but maybe something was going on behind the scenes.  Otherwise, I think they simply changed their strategy during the offseason. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My 1st guess is that they thought he was a PEDs user and didn't want to commit to 10 years for fear of having another ARod

My 2nd guess is that honestly wanted to go under $189M, but just didn't like the look of the team.

3rd guess is Hal or Cashman wanted to look like tough guys by holding to their position.

4th guess is that they thought they'd need pitching more than another hitter.

5th guess is they thought Cano wouldn't want to leave NY.

6th guess is kind of connected to #5-they saw Pedey sign cheap for the Sox and expected Cano to give them a home-town discount.

At the end of the day, 10 years is too long.  Cano should have some modest declines for 5 years, until he is mediocre, then more precipitious declines for 5 years.

(Please note: I realize this may offend some of my Yankee fan friends here, but after all, this is just about having some fun.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

They blew it. Simple as that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

Based on how quickly they signed them once the Cano deal went down w/Seattle, the Yankees had a Plan B in place and figured there was better value and likelihood of winning with Ellsbury X 7yr and Beltran X 3 years if they couldn't get Cano on their terms. No way they were giving out a 9-10 year contract in the middle of the ARod hearings.

Cano and his agents mis-caculated that he is worth more to the Yankees than to any other team (like, say Big Papi is to the Red Sox) based on existing history with the team and all the unsold Cano jerseys. BUt they all got their money in the end.

I realize now that there was likely no real desire to stay under the luxury cap. THey are locked into a strategy of building through FA and international players acquisition (not in trades though b/c of the age and/or high salaries of their players). They have the ability for player development, but just don't have much in the way of prospects now or in the future. Someone correct me, but they lost their top picks when they got McCann and Ellsbury and don't get their first pick until something like #60 in this years draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

My guess is Cano is a very good player, but not a great player. He might be showing signs of decline that we can't see but they, the Yankees, can. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Think Yanks might have learned something from the RS. That 240 mil could be spread out over a lot of areas on the team. Even the Yanks have limits, spend 240 mil on Cano and definately not able to do Tanaka / Ells / Beltran / McCann. Yanks have many holes to fix, not like 08 when they were able to sign CC /Burnett/Tex to complete the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My guess is Cano is a very good player, but not a great player. He might be showing signs of decline that we can't see but they, the Yankees, can. 

[/QUOTE]

You can put him in the 'great' catagory. Dispite being the only real bat with no protection for almost all last year, he still produced. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Robinson Cano wanted a new challenge:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/sea/robinson-cano-hopes-to-excite-seattle-for-mariners-baseball?ymd=20140125&content_id=67121528&vkey=news_sea

Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/sea/robinson-cano-hopes-to-excite-seattle-for-mariners-baseball?ymd=20140125&content_id=67121528&vkey=news_sea

Smile

[/QUOTE]

AKA, he took the most money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Now that they've blown well past the 189 million tax threshold by signing Tanaka, and now that we know they're the same old Yankees, and now that they've told their fans how badly they want to get past to the postseason, no matter the cost, maybe we can revisit this question: why didn't they pay Cano?  Who was sort of, after all, their best player?

[/QUOTE]

I think that the # 1 reason was a simple as the timing of the Arod suspension..if they entered the offseason knowing that Arod was indeed going to be suspended for the entire season and that they could've banked on having his salary slot freed up early on, they might have been more aggressive with signing Cano. I don't think the Mariners offer was the deal breaker, but rather the timing of. They made him an offer that the Yankees couldn't match at that moment....as they say timing is everything...

Entering the offseason the Yankees had needs @ catcher, RF, CF, 2B, starting pitching and the bullpen along with the unknown with Sabathia, Arod, Jeter & Texiera all coming back from injuries...IMHO they had far more pressing needs than simply resigning Cano. Whom had they matched the Mariners offer and were then stuck paying Arod too..might have prevented them from having the payrol flexibiltiy to sign Tanaka or Beltran...let's not kid ourselves, the yanks are much improved, but...still have holes that need to be filled and every player they add from this point forward will cost them .50 cents on every dollar. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There have been recurring rumors of PED use by Cano. Also, his attitude and hustle sometimes leave something to be desired. While Cano was their best player ,  I would say that the addition of Ellsbury, Beltran, McCann and Tanaka more than compensates for the loss of Cano. The Yankees are a better and deeper team today than they were last season, even without Rivera.  Money does indeed talk. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

It may have been as simple as "We didn't win with him last year, so we can lose without him as well " By now , it's bible that the Yanks DNA is to always go for the ring. Not smart baseball  to give him $300M and still have holes. I haven't met a single Yankee fan who's pining for Cano after seeing how the winter has turned out (and I'm sure not done yet). The departure was probably sealed when the Yanks had $25M per year on the table (7 for $175M) and his dad said, "It seems like the Yankees don't really want him." After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee. After that, it seemed like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

fun is a good thing Hnut

in chort the yanks didn't resign him in fear of

those RSP's showing up again

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It may have been as simple as "We didn't win with him last year, so we can lose without him as well " By now , it's bible that the Yanks DNA is to always go for the ring. Not smart baseball  to give him $300M and still have holes. I haven't met a single Yankee fan who's pining for Cano after seeing how the winter has turned out (and I'm sure not done yet). The departure was probably sealed when the Yanks had $25M per year on the table (7 for $175M) and his dad said, "It seems like the Yankees don't really want him." After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee. After that, it seemed like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

[/QUOTE]

Can't say I disagree with any of above and it also didn't hurt that Ellsbury, McCann & Beltran were available...with McCann being the single greatest upgrade...

that said, I don't think they're done adding either, but are now up against the luxury limits and will pay a premium for every player added without subtracting salary...Even your Yanks have a budget And part of that has to be having funds available to address injuries and underperformance once the season begins...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury, McCann, Beltran, Tanaka - were any of them not 'all about the money?'

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

Smile

AKA, he took the most money.

Perhaps it was the most money only when the tax consequences are considered, something that the luxury tax limit apparently does not take into account. I assume the luxury tax limit is the same for the Yankees and Mariners despite the lack of state income tax and city income tax in Seattle.

Just a thought.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

[QUOTE]

After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee.

[/QUOTE]

Really two different things. For a FA, it's definitely the money first and then the chance to play for a winner. For a Yankee like Jeter or Bernie or Mo or a Sox player like Pedey or  Lester, it's about choosing to stay where you're happiest. Cano was not about that as it turns out--that made it easier for FO and fans to let him go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Really two different things. For a FA, it's definitely the money first and then the chance to play for a winner. For a Yankee like Jeter or Bernie or Mo or a Sox player like Pedey or  Lester, it's about choosing to stay where you're happiest. Cano was not about that as it turns out--that made it easier for FO and fans to let him go.

[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of a criticism that we've heard sometimes about the Red Sox FO.  What was said was that 'we like other teams' free agents better than we like our own.'

To many Red Sox fans, Ellsbury is now a mercenary who just wanted to go where he got the most money.

To many Yankee fans, Cano is now the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Really two different things. For a FA, it's definitely the money firstand then the chance to play for a winner. For a Yankee like Jeter or Bernie or Mo or a Sox player like Pedey or  Lester, it's about choosing to stay where you're happiest. Cano was not about that as it turns out--that made it easier for FO and fans to let him go.

By in large, mfy, with a few exceptions, but they're few and far between. Mike Lowell took less to stay with the Sox, and Cliff Lee took less, togo  back to the Phillies. You would know better than I, but didn't Pettitte take less, somewhere along the way?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Really two different things. For a FA, it's definitely the money firstand then the chance to play for a winner. For a Yankee like Jeter or Bernie or Mo or a Sox player like Pedey or  Lester, it's about choosing to stay where you're happiest. Cano was not about that as it turns out--that made it easier for FO and fans to let him go.

[/QUOTE]

By in large, mfy, with a few exceptions, but they're few and far between. Mike Lowell took less to stay with Sox and Cliff Lee took less, togo  back to the Phillies. You would know better than I, but didn't Pettitte take less somewhere along the way?

[/QUOTE]
    I may not have explained myself well. I happen to agree with you. Players who have been on a team and liked the experience (Lowell, Lee, Lester, Perry, Mo, Jeter, etc) are different than a free agent going to a new team and is looking for the best contract. There are other considerations once you've been there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It's hard to beat a 10-year, $240 million deal. 

Maybe Cano wanted to go to the team that offered him the most money (nothing wrong with that).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

By in large, mfy, with a few exceptions, but they're few and far between. Mike Lowell took less to stay with Sox and Cliff Lee took less, togo  back to the Phillies. You would know better than I, but didn't Pettitte take less somewhere along the way?

I may not have explained myself well. I happen to agree with you. Players who have been on a team and liked the experience (Lowell, Lee, Lester, Perry, Mo, Jeter, etc) are different than a free agent going to a new team and are looking for the best contract. There are other considerations once you've been there.

[/QUOTE]

You did, mfy,  I was just expanding on it. I think some equate the money to happiness, some don't. Ego also plays into it and what they deem as "respect" Some care more than others about winning or take family into account. FWIW, I think the Yankees made the right move letting Cano walk, and he will live to regret it, if he doesn't already. 

Sections
Shortcuts