Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't make a lot of money, but I don't think twice about buying something for $10.00 if it's worth $10.00. If you tried to sell me a Baby Ruth bar for $10.00, I'd offer you $1.50; if we didn't see eye-to-eye, we wouldn't have a deal. 

[/QUOTE]

In general, you do not want to pay more than something is worth. There are exceptions. In bidding wars at auctions or on e-bay, people will pay more if it is something they really want.  In a highly competitive business like baseball, sometimes you have to do what it takes to win and keep your fans happy and satisfied. Many posters on here are always concerned with the money, but with the Yankees money seems to be no object. I am sure they have a ceiling to their payroll, but we have yet to see what that ceiling is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't make a lot of money, but I don't think twice about buying something for $10.00 if it's worth $10.00. If you tried to sell me a Baby Ruth bar for $10.00, I'd offer you $1.50; if we didn't see eye-to-eye, we wouldn't have a deal. 

[/QUOTE]

In general, you do not want to pay more than something is worth. There are exceptions. In bidding wars at auctions or on e-bay, people will pay more if it is something they really want.  In a highly competitive business like baseball, sometimes you have to do what it takes to win and keep your fans happy and satisfied. Many posters on here are always concerned with the money, but with the Yankees money seems to be no object. I am sure they have a ceiling to their payroll, but we have yet to see what that ceiling is.

[/QUOTE]

Of course. My only point is that probably the Yankees did not value Cano above what they offered. Certainly sometimes people pay for things above value. In this case, that Yankees decided he wasn't worth what it would take. It's not that they didn't have the money, they just didn't think he was worth the money. A big difference, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Plus, signing Cano may have precluded them from signing some of the other players that they coveted. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I also think that Jay Z may have sold Cano a bill of goods in anattempt to bring attention to his fledgling agency business. One thing Cano will surely miss is his popularity among Hispanics in NY, particularly the large Dominican community who folow his every move. Won't have that in Seattle which to me is a big deal for him. For his part, however, he said he liked the city when the Yankees were in town and enjoyed walking around so who knows?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that they've blown well past the 189 million tax threshold by signing Tanaka, and now that we know they're the same old Yankees, and now that they've told their fans how badly they want to get back to the postseason, no matter the cost, maybe we can revisit this question: why didn't they pay Cano?  Who was sort of, after all, their best player?

Maybe it's because they're making all this up as they go along, huh?

(Please note: I realize this may offend some of my Yankee fan friends here, but after all, this is just about having some fun.)

[/QUOTE]

Personally I think if Yankee fan Borass had still been Cano's agent he would have resigned by the Yankees.  I'm convinced that Boras is a Yankee fan because he knows they will pay what he wants and, again, I think he really likes that team.  Now that I got my paranoia out of  the way I'm reminded of the stories making the rounds during the Cano FA chase that he did not like or liked playing for the Joe Girardi.

As for the rest, I think it was predictable the Yankees would go on a spending spree as soon as the Red Sox won the World Series.  They cannot abide by our team beating theirs and winning it all.  They did what they did twice before when this happened.  They got drunk and started spending wildly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Don't understand the Yanks on Cano. Money and draft picks mean nothingto them and Cano was clearly their best player. With both he and Arod gone for thr year and Jeter a huge question mark, who is gonna lead them? Not Ellsbury thats for sure!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They do have a ceiling, otherwise they would have signed Cano, plus a few relievers, like Balfour.  Maybe even another starter, like Garza.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'm thinking it's because the Yankees had to make a point, and it was worth losing Cano to make it.

Even thought they went over the luxury tax, they've been trying very hard to look like a different, smarter team.  Face it, the Yanks have always been the team of first resort for a free agent.  They've been the team with the deepest pockets -- until LA came along -- and the team that would pay anything to win a championship.

But the approach hasn't always worked, and ARod is the public face of their latest humiliation.

The Yanks, in a sense, have been viewed as suckers, if you will, thanks to folks like ARod, Mark T and AJ Burnett.  Gee, maybe they're a little miffed that Tex didn't sign with the Sox after all.  Humiliation comes from the fact that they didn't even make the playoffs last year, even with the big payroll.

They desperately wanted to show the world that they could go lean and mean.  Plus, as buffum says above, they simply didn't think Cano was worth the money.  So this time, let the Mariners look stupid, if you will.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The only player excluded if they signed Cano would have been Ells IMHO. McCann was already signed when they got Ells and let Cano go.

I just have a hard time believing they went that far over the 189 and do not have Cano. There had to be more to the story.

If Ells was worth what they gave him then Cano was worth much more to the NYY.

I also do not see Ells and Beltre bring as much to the NYY as Cano did not only on the field but to the team as a whole.

He was the next face of the team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Take it from a New Yorker, Jim.  He was not the next face of the team. Great player yes. Worth $300M, no. NY fan base and FO are perfectly ok with how it all turned out. This would be like me pretending to know who the next face of the Sox will  be.

As for last year, we went to battle with Overbay, Wells, Nix, Stewart, Ryan, Almonte, etc with rest if the team in sick bay. No humiliation in winning 85 games with that squad, I promise. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The reality is that the Yankees will spend big to acquire the best players in an attempt to dominate the sport. The thing that makes them so successful is the same thing that makes them so despised. When they are embarrassed, like last year, they will double down their efforts. We have seen it time and again. Has it worked for them ? Not always, but often enough. They have 27 World Series Championships. No one else is even close to that. They are probably one of , if not the most , famous brands in the world of sports. All of the small market, small time Charlies can worry about the payroll, the draft picks,  the farm prospects, the luxury tax and whether a given player is worth the money. The Yankees will continue to do business as usual. In the end, it is always the same. Money talks. Unless the rules are changed, it will always be that way. We may not like it, but that is the reality. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bottom line is the Yankees signed Ellsbury 7 days before Cano left for greener pastures! The deciding factor why Cano left, was the money they gave Ellsbury and the amount they offered Robbie after being the best player on their team for about 5 years in a row, he was insulted by the offer and decided it was time to travel on. The Yankees blew it! They could have kept Robbie and they would have still gotten Tanaka!! They already knew the fix was in on the Arod decision, so they were always going to have that money to spend. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I couldn't be happier that the Yankees outsmarted themselves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bottom line is the Yankees signed Ellsbury 7 days before Cano left for greener pastures! The deciding factor why Cano left, was the money they gave Ellsbury and the amount they offered Robbie after being the best player on their team for about 5 years in a row, he was insulted by the offer and decided it was time to travel on. The Yankees blew it! They could have kept Robbie and they would have still gotten Tanaka!! They already knew the fix was in on the Arod decision, so they were always going to have that money to spend. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I couldn't be happier that the Yankees outsmarted themselves.

[/QUOTE]

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I don't think they outsmarted themselves at all. They knew exactly what they were doing. They have improved their team. When they signed Ellsbury, they had already decided to let Cano walk.  Cano leaving had nothing to do with his being jealous of the money they gave Ellsbury. The Yankees let him go.  A-Rod's suspension was a foregone conclusion. That only helped them to afford  Tanaka, who they had targeted for some time. They also added top free agents in Beltran and McCann.  The Yankees have greatly improved their team. How can any Red Sox fan be happy wth that ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

stand by 4 a shocker

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so U think arod was framed 2

LOL I say 2 when I'm not even sure if arod believes that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I don't think they outsmarted themselves at all. They knew exactly what they were doing. They have improved their team. When they signed Ellsbury, they had already decided to let Cano walk.  Cano leaving had nothing to do with his being jealous of the money they gave Ellsbury. The Yankees let him go.  A-Rod's suspension was a foregone conclusion. That only helped them to afford  Tanaka, who they had targeted for some time. They also added top free agents in Beltran and McCann.  The Yankees have greatly improved their team. How can any Red Sox fan be happy wth that ?

[/QUOTE]

exactly dgalehouse

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I don't agree that they have greatly improved their team. That's why I'm happy! granted they are good players, but they have never played in Yankee stadium for an entire season, for some they have'nt played in the overly competitive AL East and have no idea the pressures under which they will be playing night in and out. Even with the signing of Tanaka the Yankees staff is full of holes and there is no decernible bullpen to save theior nightly failures. After watching Tanaka throw a an MLB baseball the the scouting report went like this: Great splitter and he didn't lose any sink on that pitch, but his other top pitch the cutter stayed up in the zone! So when he has a 15-15 season will the Yankees fans be happy? Beltran is 38 and he is a very good professional hitter, but he's going to need nights off and like Ellsbury he's injury prone. 2nd base and third base are gigantic holes, both Kelly Johnson and Bip Roberts are mediocre at best. Robertson is the only guy worth mentioning in the pen. All the others packed up and left.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Now that they've blown well past the 189 million tax threshold by signing Tanaka, and now that we know they're the same old Yankees, and now that they've told their fans how badly they want to get back to the postseason, no matter the cost, maybe we can revisit this question: why didn't they pay Cano?  Who was sort of, after all, their best player?

Maybe it's because they're making all this up as they go along, huh?

(Please note: I realize this may offend some of my Yankee fan friends here, but after all, this is just about having some fun.)

[/QUOTE]

Fair point....I think the length of the contract was an issue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It may have been as simple as "We didn't win with him last year, so we can lose without him as well " By now , it's bible that the Yanks DNA is to always go for the ring. Not smart baseball  to give him $300M and still have holes. I haven't met a single Yankee fan who's pining for Cano after seeing how the winter has turned out (and I'm sure not done yet). The departure was probably sealed when the Yanks had $25M per year on the table (7 for $175M) and his dad said, "It seems like the Yankees don't really want him." After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee. After that, it seemed like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

[/QUOTE]

Thats funny I live here in CT and most of my Yankee fan friends are VERY dissapointed that Cano left team. The way Yankees have spent money this winter whats another 240 mil? IMO Yankees insulted him when they gave Ells 153 and wouldn't go to 200 for him [which he admitted he would have signed for in NY]. Will have to wait and see how that turns out, they already had a CF, now they don't have a 2nd baseman? Lets wait til first time Cano comes back to Yankee Stadium and see if Yankee fans really don't care that he left.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ellsbury, McCann, Beltran, Tanaka - were any of them not 'all about the money?'

[/QUOTE]

Really two different things. For a FA, it's definitely the money first and then the chance to play for a winner. For a Yankee like Jeter or Bernie or Mo or a Sox player like Pedey or  Lester, it's about choosing to stay where you're happiest. Cano was not about that as it turns out--that made it easier for FO and fans to let him go.

[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of a criticism that we've heard sometimes about the Red Sox FO.  What was said was that 'we like other teams' free agents better than we like our own.'

To many Red Sox fans, Ellsbury is now a mercenary who just wanted to go where he got the most money.

To many Yankee fans, Cano is now the same.

[/QUOTE]

Hf, I think the "mercenary" issue is nonsense (I understand that your point is about what some people think, I think you understand the issue).  That is exactly how most people behave.  If someone wants to label Ellsbury as a mercenary ("Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain.") fine, it's probably correct.....but he is no different from 99% of ball players and people in general.  The guy grew up in Oregon and was employed by a Boston-based sports conglomerate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to jader's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't understand the Yanks on Cano. ... With both he and Arod gone for thr year and Jeter a huge question mark, who is gonna lead them? Not Ellsbury thats for sure!

[/QUOTE]

Jeter is their Captain, that's a lot. Supposedly McCann is that type also, but he's the new guy and has to deal w/learning a totally new pitching staff after being w/the same team for his career. 

I don't think ARod was ever a club house leader.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It may have been as simple as "We didn't win with him last year, so we can lose without him as well " By now , it's bible that the Yanks DNA is to always go for the ring. Not smart baseball  to give him $300M and still have holes. I haven't met a single Yankee fan who's pining for Cano after seeing how the winter has turned out (and I'm sure not done yet). The departure was probably sealed when the Yanks had $25M per year on the table (7 for $175M) and his dad said, "It seems like the Yankees don't really want him." After that, NY FO knew it was all about the money and little to do with being a Yankee. After that, it seemed like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

[/QUOTE]

Thats funny I live here in CT and most of my Yankee fan friends are VERY dissapointed that Cano left team.

no one I know

some, like myself,  might of been a tad dissapoint but could C what was going on

seattle was not going 2B denied

others, not me, actually didn't want him back because of his lackadaisical style

The way Yankees have spent money this winter whats another 240 mil?

right

IMO Yankees insulted him when they gave Ells 153

not just your opinion

more like a RSN talking point

like dgale said yanks had already gave up on cano when they signed johnny jr

and wouldn't go to 200 for him [which he admitted he would have signed for in NY].

amitted what

many think  yanks would of gone to 200 but

yanks were told noway 200 was going to get it done

Will have to wait and see how that turns out, they already had a CF, now they don't have a 2nd baseman?

that is true

Lets wait til first time Cano comes back to Yankee Stadium and see if Yankee fans really don't care that he left.

and how will we know that ?

nobody hated the guy

all that said the yanks biggest fear of resigning cano

was that those RSP's would come back

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

... The Yankees blew it! They could have kept Robbie and they would have still gotten Tanaka!! They already knew the fix was in on the Arod decision, so they were always going to have that money to spend. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I couldn't be happier that the Yankees outsmarted themselves.

[/QUOTE]

just one point: ARod is still on the books for $20 -25 mil after this season and through 2017. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

stand by 4 a shocker

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so U think arod was framed 2

LOL I say 2 when I'm not even sure if arod believes that

[/QUOTE]

crickets

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jader's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't understand the Yanks on Cano. ... With both he and Arod gone for thr year and Jeter a huge question mark, who is gonna lead them? Not Ellsbury thats for sure!

[/QUOTE]

Jeter is their Captain, that's a lot. Supposedly McCann is that type also, but he's the new guy and has to deal w/learning a totally new pitching staff after being w/the same team for his career. 

I don't think ARod was ever a club house leader.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

like U say not so much the whole club

but I think arod was a leader to the latino players

now where he led them to is a whole other convertsation ;-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I just think that after Cano saw Ellsbury signed with the Yankees due Ellsbury wanted as much money he can, and Cano followed the same method.  I think Ellsbury is the one influenced Cano to sign with another team for more money.

Had Ellsbury just stayed at Boston for a lesser money, who know he could influence Cano to remain as a Yankee.

Who care cuz it is a good thing that Cano is gone.  He is the biggest pain in the butt guy against the Red Sox!!!   Before was Jeter, than A-Rod, then Cano who all have good numbers as a young player to their prime time!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I just think that after Cano saw Ellsbury signed with the Yankees due Ellsbury wanted as much money he can, and Cano followed the same method.  I think Ellsbury is the one influenced Cano to sign with another team for more money.

Had Ellsbury just stayed at Boston for a lesser money, who know he could influence Cano to remain as a Yankee.

Who care cuz it is a good thing that Cano is gone.  He is the biggest pain in the butt guy against the Red Sox!!!   Before was Jeter, than A-Rod, then Cano who all have good numbers as a young player to their prime time!!

Cano signed beforeEllsbury. 

Ells signed first. Early December.  Cano signed a week or two, later

Sections
Shortcuts