Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I just think that after Cano saw Ellsbury signed with the Yankees due Ellsbury wanted as much money he can, and Cano followed the same method.  I think Ellsbury is the one influenced Cano to sign with another team for more money.

Had Ellsbury just stayed at Boston for a lesser money, who know he could influence Cano to remain as a Yankee.

Who care cuz it is a good thing that Cano is gone.  He is the biggest pain in the butt guy against the Red Sox!!!   Before was Jeter, than A-Rod, then Cano who all have good numbers as a young player to their prime time!!

Cano signed before Ellsbury. 

Nope. Cano signed about 10 days after Ellsbury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

When it's August and the Mariners are 15 games out of first, Robinson Cano (left) can remember the night he was at the Grammys with Beyonce and Jay-z.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Anyone who thinks the Yankess are THAT much better this year, are clueless. Go check AJs stats from last year and compare to McCanns. Yeah, better. I bet about the same this year. Ells is a wash, and Victorino vs  Beltran, again wash at best for the Yankees. Tanaka vs the arms the Sox currently have, wash again. He's about as proven as any of the youngsters in the system.  They will finish, barring injury, 4th behind the Sox, Tampa and Toronto. They aren't very good, and if anything have maintained and not leapt ahead in any significant category. Cano could have helped them and would have stabilized the infield a little bit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

Anyone who thinks the Yankess are THAT much better this year, are clueless. Go check AJs stats from last year and compare to McCanns. Yeah, better. I bet about the same this year. Ells is a wash, and Victorino vs  Beltran, again wash at best for the Yankees. Tanaka vs the arms the Sox currently have, wash again. He's about as proven as any of the youngsters in the system.  They will finish, barring injury, 4th behind the Sox, Tampa and Toronto. They aren't very good, and if anything have maintained and not leapt ahead in any significant category. Cano could have helped them and would have stabilized the infield a little bit. 

Behind Toronto?  LOL now you're really pushing it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

and how does a comp to Sox players show whether or not the Yanks will be a better team than last year?..unless you think they will play the Sox 162 times

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

.unless you think they will play the Sox 162 times

those 4+ hour games makes it feel that way sometimes.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

unless you think they will play the Sox 162 times

LOL..see, if they(mlb) had only taken my suggestion of electrified batter's boxes, they would have much shorter games Tongue Out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

I just think that after Cano saw Ellsbury signed with the Yankees due Ellsbury wanted as much money he can, and Cano followed the same method.  I think Ellsbury is the one influenced Cano to sign with another team for more money.

Had Ellsbury just stayed at Boston for a lesser money, who know he could influence Cano to remain as a Yankee.

Who care cuz it is a good thing that Cano is gone.  He is the biggest pain in the butt guy against the Red Sox!!!   Before was Jeter, than A-Rod, then Cano who all have good numbers as a young player to their prime time!!

Cano signed before Ellsbury. 

Cano, Robinson 2B NYY SEA Dec 12, 2013

10-year deal with SEA

Ellsbury, Jacoby OF BOS NYY Dec 7, 2013 7-year deal with NYY; club option for '21

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

see above, Cano signed on Dec 12th and Ellsbury on Dec 7th.  That is why I think Ellsbury signed first and then Cano

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

see above, Cano signed on Dec 12th and Ellsbury on Dec 7th.  That is why I think Ellsbury signed first and then Cano

we get that part

it's U not reading the rest of the thread we don't get

i suppose it could of but

did the pedroia deal influence johnny jr

I think it's pretty safe to say that the 100 mill influenced Cano

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

unless you think they will play the Sox 162 times

LOL..see, if they(mlb) had only taken my suggestion of electrified batter's boxes, they would have much shorter games Tongue Out

LOL

I like it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

and how does a comp to Sox players show whether or not the Yanks will be a better team than last year?..unless you think they will play the Sox 162 times

Yeah behind Toronto. Or it's a toss up at best. The Yankees are just flat out not good. Isn't the comparision to the Sox roster? After all they did win a World Series.  The Yanks maybe be a better team than last year, but in comparison to the ability to pull ahead of the Red Sox, no way. They are old, in all the wrong places. If Tanaka turns into Cy Young, then maybe they elevate a bit. No closer. None on the horizon. Age is the factor. Cano would have helped them immensely. They could have done Garza and Cano, and do Beltran and that would have been smarter. And they still would be in the same position. McCann was a horrible signing. So yeah, compare them to the Sox because that's who they are trying to catch. They are a long, long way off. 85 win team. Still.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah behind Toronto. Or it's a toss up at best. The Yankees are just flat out not good. Isn't the comparision to the Sox roster? After all they did win a World Series.  The Yanks maybe be a better team than last year, but in comparison to the ability to pull ahead of the Red Sox, no way. They are old, in all the wrong places. If Tanaka turns into Cy Young, then maybe they elevate a bit. No closer. None on the horizon. Age is the factor. Cano would have helped them immensely. They could have done Garza and Cano, and do Beltran and that would have been smarter. And they still would be in the same position. McCann was a horrible signing. So yeah, compare them to the Sox because that's who they are trying to catch. They are a long, long way off. 85 win team. Still.

Toronto won 74 games last year and has done little this offseason.  You must be a Jays fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Yeah behind Toronto. Or it's a toss up at best. The Yankees are just flat out not good. Isn't the comparision to the Sox roster? After all they did win a World Series.  The Yanks maybe be a better team than last year, but in comparison to the ability to pull ahead of the Red Sox, no way. They are old, in all the wrong places. If Tanaka turns into Cy Young, then maybe they elevate a bit. No closer. None on the horizon. Age is the factor. Cano would have helped them immensely. They could have done Garza and Cano, and do Beltran and that would have been smarter. And they still would be in the same position. McCann was a horrible signing.

LOL please tell us more about the horrible mccann signing

that's kinda of surprising / weak even coming from RSN

So yeah, compare them to the Sox because that's who they are trying to catch. They are a long, long way off. 85 win team. Still.

a case can be made that compared 2 last yr

the Yankees will be better at seven of nine positions,

and that was B4 the tanaka signing

how many positions will the sox B better at

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think, with a caviat of a giant gamble, the Yankees reappropriated the Brinx Truck they didnt back up for Robbie very nicely.  They lose his top-shelf offense, no doubt.  But they filled crucial positions with really good players (Ells, McCann) and throw in Beltran, and you have more than replaced Cano's bat.  Now, the gamble of course is that young Tanaka is Darvish and not Dice.  If he is Darvish, then they are geniuses.  Kid is 25 and they have him locked up long term.  Couldnt have happened if they went long on Robbie.  Now if the kid is not Darvish ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Yeah behind Toronto. Or it's a toss up at best. The Yankees are just flat out not good. Isn't the comparision to the Sox roster? After all they did win a World Series.  The Yanks maybe be a better team than last year, but in comparison to the ability to pull ahead of the Red Sox, no way. They are old, in all the wrong places. If Tanaka turns into Cy Young, then maybe they elevate a bit. No closer. None on the horizon. Age is the factor. Cano would have helped them immensely. They could have done Garza and Cano, and do Beltran and that would have been smarter. And they still would be in the same position. McCann was a horrible signing.

LOL please tell us more about the horrible mccann signing

that's kinda of surprising / weak even coming from RSN

So yeah, compare them to the Sox because that's who they are trying to catch. They are a long, long way off. 85 win team. Still.

a case can be made that compared 2 last yr

the Yankees will be better at seven of nine positions,

and that was B4 the tanaka signing

how many positions will the sox B better at

I'm not a Jays fan. Red Sox through and through.  I just think that they can be better. I don't want to see them get better, and I doubt they will be a threat to the Sox, just I think they are even with the Yankees. Better at seven of nine huh? Who's in your rotation? CC (on the down slope), Tanaka (unproven), Pineda(hurt all the time) and then what? No more Pettite to carry you over.  Who's your third baseman? Shortstop? Second baseman? Heck, how much can you expect out of Texiera? Your infield is an unmitigated disaster. Signing Drew MAY help, but again, not overwhelmingly so. Outfield. Ells is an upgrade over Granderson. No doubt. Again, not overwhelmingly so. Gardner is solid. Above average at times. Beltran, well he's what 38? Yeah I remember a 38 year old Mike Cameron. Beltran is better, but not by that much. 

How many positions will the Sox be better at? Well let's see, if they can make up for Ells loss, then they don't need to be "better". However,  I see catcher being an upgrade over Salty. The young arms the Sox have, if there are say 5, 1 or 2 will pan out. Ranaudo, Barnes, Webster, RDLR, Workman. Minimum. Most likely more. XB will have a monster year. Watch. You don't perform like he did in the biggest games and then flub. If everything else stays relatively the same, is that not enough of an upgrade? Oh the bullpen will be stronger as well.

Back to you.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

When you win the World Series, how much better do you have to be?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

This. Especially with the lack of subtractions plus what could be even better production in some areas, and most likely no drop off in others.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

This. Especially with the lack of subtractions plus what could be even better production in some areas, and most likely no drop off in others.

Having a healthy Buchholz all year would go a long way towards offsetting a drop in offense from losing Ellsbury.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this does not compute. 

yankees are the best at everything and were better than the Sox in 2013. 

didn't you get that memo??!!

Sections
Shortcuts