Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Let's revisit this question: why didn't the Yankees pay Cano?

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you win the World Series, how much better do you have to be?

[/QUOTE]

this does not compute. 

yankees are the best at everything and were better than the Sox in 2013. 

didn't you get that memo??!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I missed that one...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that they've blown well past the 189 million tax threshold by signing Tanaka, and now that we know they're the same old Yankees, and now that they've told their fans how badly they want to get back to the postseason, no matter the cost, maybe we can revisit this question: why didn't they pay Cano?  Who was sort of, after all, their best player?

Maybe it's because they're making all this up as they go along, huh?

(Please note: I realize this may offend some of my Yankee fan friends here, but after all, this is just about having some fun.)

[/QUOTE]

IMO, there were many issues that led to Cano leaving the Yankees.

Cano's team started off with some outrageous talk about $300 million dollars.  That was a mistake to begin with.

I think the Yankees were caught off guard in this process.  I don't think that many people were considering the Mariners as a legitimate threat to sign Cano, and I think the Yankees might have underestimated them.  Not knowing what was going on with A-Rod's suspension contributed to this.

I think Cano was also insulted by his offer from the Yankees in light of the contract that Ellsbury received.

The Yankees were right not to match the Mariners' offer.  However, I think they could have re-signed Cano had they upped their bid a little more, which they should have done.

Letting Cano go after seeing all of the other offseason moves the Yankees made makes no sense to me.

I am not buying the idea that the Yankees were not really planning to sign Cano all along.  I think they just screwed up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

a case can be made that compared 2 last yr

the Yankees will be better at seven of nine positions,

and that was B4 the tanaka signing

how many positions will the sox B better at

[/QUOTE]

A case can also be made that the Yankees will have a worse infield than they had last year.

As far as how much each team has improved, here's the way I look at it.  The Yankees won 85 games last year, but we all know they were lucky to get that many wins.  Their Pythagorean win total was 79 wins.

The Sox won 97 games, but their Pythagorean win total was 100 wins.

For those among us who are mathematically challenged,  that is a 21 game difference that the Yankees had to improve by.  ;-)

The Yankees have improved.  As of now, I project 86 wins for them.  Still not good enough to catch the Sox, even if the Sox drop to 90 wins.