Let's see if Lester's contract chatter gets the same reaction.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Let's see if Lester's contract chatter gets the same reaction.

First of all, I am not bashing Lester. I like the kid, I think he is great and deserves a good payday, as does Ortiz. I just don't see him getting the same hate filled posts that Ortiz did for saying basically the same thing Ortiz did.

Now Lester does the same thing that Ortiz whiners have complained about... he threatens to walk as well, complains that he was devastated by an offer....etc etc. So go ahead, let him have it now.

BOSTON (CBS) — Last spring, Jon Lester was a little upset that he wasn’t considered the ace of the Boston Red Sox staff.

Lester was coming off a disappointing 2012 campaign that saw him go 9-14 with a career-high 4.82 ERA, but he was determined to turn it all around. He did just that, going 15-8 in the regular season and 4-1 in the postseason. He was 2-0 in two starts against the Cardinals in the Fall Classic, en route to winning his second World Series title in a Red Sox uniform.

Now he enters a contract year, with few doubting his ability to be an ace. Instead questioning whether or not he’s an ace, now the question is can Lester and the Red Sox work out a long-term contract extension?

Lester wants to stay in Boston, and wants to get a deal done before the season gets underway to avoid any distractions. The 30-year-old has said he would be willing to take a hometown discount, but he knows that working out a deal isn’t going to be easy.

“It’s always going to be a tough process,” Lester told WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche on Sunday night’s Sports Final. “If I go back in 2009, that was a tough process. You’re fighting for what you want and they’re fighting for what they want.  You have to find common ground on that.”

Toucher & Rich: Would You Pay Lester $25 Million Per Season?

Lester and Boston agreed to five-year, $30 million contract back in 2009 that includes an option year for 2014. Lester recalls getting the team’s first offer while on a hunting trip, a low offer that he said was “devastating.” The five-year offer eventually came, but again, it goes back to this being a very long process.

But Lester is confident that, like they did in 2009, he and the Red Sox can find a deal that works for both sides.

“I don’t see why we can’t,” he told Roche. “The hometown discount, that is something I believe in but at the same time everyone’s hometown discount is a little different. I think you have to get into a room, sit down and iron it out. I’m very optimistic on what we can do, and I feel like ownership and Ben (Cherington), I think it would be a lot more difficult if it was a one-way street – I don’t get that feeling. They want me to stay, so that makes it a little easier to find common ground.”

“It’s going to be frustrating if it goes into the year,” he added. “Ben, John (Henry), Larry (Lucchino) and Tom (Werner), I get the feeling they’re pretty hung-ho about it and they want to try to get something done before the season. That being said it’s going to be a hard process. There are going to be times when they bang their heads against the wall and times we bang our heads against the wall. That’s kind of the crappy part of it.”

Lester said he would be involved in the negotiations if his agent wants him in the room, but he stressed that he doesn’t want them to become a distraction during the season. And if need be, he’d be prepared to walk away should the dealings reach that point.

“That’s the hard part, and I think mentally you have to prepare yourself for that possibility,” he said. “The nice thing about the baseball season is you have a long time. There are different points where, and I could tell my agent if they want to keep talking let’s keep it open, but don’t inform me until anything happens; until something is there where you say ‘this is it.’”

Lester doesn’t want to get into hypothetical deals, or think about having to answer questions regarding rumored deals throughout the year, but it’s very clear that he wants to be in Boston.

“For me, this place has helped me grow up so much. I’m comfortable here and I love the atmosphere,” said Lester. “It’s all the things — the tradition, the honor. You go out and play at Fenway Park every night. I take it for granted. I’m playing in the same place that Ted Williams, Jim Rice, Babe Ruth. All those guys that stepped on that mound and up to that plate. You don’t have that anymore – you have Wrigley and you have us.”

Read: Dan Roche’s Red Sox Blog

“It’s a great organization to be a part of,” he said. “The ownership has been great. It’s been a fun place to play, a hard place to play at times, but it’s the cliché that when you go through the hard times, it makes the good times better. That’s true here, but it’s ten-fold. I don’t think 2013 would have meant as much as it did to me, personally, if I didn’t go through 2012. Going through 2012 prepares me for when I go through another bump in the road.

“It’s been a lot of fun to grow up here and I’d love to be one of those guys where, at the end, I say ‘thanks, here is my jersey. I’m going to go to the house now.’ That would be fun, but like I said, to get to that point, it’s going to be difficult. Hopefully we can get that done.”

Tune in to WBZ-TV’s Sports Final and Sports Final OT every Sunday night at 11:35 p.m.!

Follow WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche on Twitter @RochieWBZ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Let's see if Lester's contract chatter gets the same reaction.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/a-tale-of-two-extensions/100/7007814

EL oh EL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Well Ortiz has been doing it every contract year for 8 years now.

Lester hasn't.

Hence the irritation by some when Oritz does it and the lack of irritation when Lester does.

If you have two kids and one of them whines constantly and the other just whines now and then you tend to bust on the whiny one a bit more. Of if you have one kid who is your stepson who whines a lot you tend to get a divorce.  But enough about me...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester hasn't.

Hence the irritation by some when Oritz does it and the lack of irritation when Lester does.

If you have two kids and one of them whines constantly and the other just whines now and then you tend to bust on the whiny one a bit more. Of if you have one kid who is your stepson who whines a lot you tend to get a divorce.  But enough about me...

[/QUOTE]

lol...good analogy.
    in all fairness 37, lester had a 5 year contract and Ortiz has had to do 3 different negotiations during that same time period....hence more chances to:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..I will say this. Another poster on one of the many Ortiz threads said it very well. The problem with Ortiz is one of tone..not substance.

I am not a fan of players talking about the business end of things with the media...unless things are falling apart. So..I am not crazy about the idea that Lester is talking about the business end of things with the media.

The Sox have made it clear that they want to get both extensions done before the end of Spring Training so I am not sure why either player feels the need to share the extension talks with the media.

I do however, note that Lester manages to get through his contract comments without the use of any F Bombs..without the use of the term "haters" and without talking about "lack of respect".

That being said..I still prefer these negotiations to go on behind closed doors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It's better when your #1 starter comes out and say "They have to rip this jersey off of my back" than "We will see what happens".  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well..I will say this. Another poster on one of the many Ortiz threads said it very well. The problem with Ortiz is one of tone..not substance.

I am not a fan of players talking about the business end of things with the media...unless things are falling apart. So..I am not crazy about the idea that Lester is talking about the business end of things with the media.

The Sox have made it clear that they want to get both extensions done before the end of Spring Training so I am not sure why either player feels the need to share the extension talks with the media.

I do however, note that Lester manages to get through his contract comments without the use of any F Bombs..without the use of the term "haters" and without talking about "lack of respect".

That being said..I still prefer these negotiations to go on behind closed doors.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, but there in lies the difference....  "...without the use of the term "haters" and without talking about "lack of respect"."  See, none of the radio jocks will pounce on this Sports Final like they did with Ortiz...therefor, no haters will show their ugly heads. Lester did manage to say he was devastated, i.e. disrespected??

The F-bomb thing doesn't bother me, it's who he is. If Lester dropped a few, I'd feel the same. Different scenario, sit next to the Bruins bench some game....F-bomb city.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

....I'm willing to bet this falls off the front page of this forum before dinner time.
    Unlike the Ortiz threads which continue to dominate the front page.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

“For me, this place has helped me grow up so much. I’m comfortable here and I love the atmosphere,” said Lester. “It’s all the things — the tradition, the honor. You go out and play at Fenway Park every night. I take it for granted. I’m playing in the same place that Ted Williams, Jim Rice, Babe Ruth. All those guys that stepped on that mound and up to that plate. You don’t have that anymore – you have Wrigley and you have us.”

Let me go and start a new thread: "JON LESTER SNUBS CARL YASTRZEMSKI, DISRESPECTS JOHNNY PESKY."

Hey, we're giving him the Ortiz treatment now, right? Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let me go and start a new thread: "JON LESTER SNUBS CARL YASTRZEMSKI, DISRESPECTS JOHNNY PESKY."

Hey, we're giving him the Ortiz treatment now, right? Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

Bingo....you get the idea Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

[QUOTE]

Ahhh, but there in lies the difference....  "...without the use of the term "haters" and without talking about "lack of respect"."  See, none of the radio jocks will pounce on this Sports Final like they did with Ortiz...therefor, no haters will show their ugly heads. Lester did manage to say he was devastated, i.e. disrespected??

The F-bomb thing doesn't bother me, it's who he is. If Lester dropped a few, I'd feel the same. Different scenario, sit next to the Bruins bench some game....F-bomb city.

[/QUOTE]

But that's my point..the difference in tone. Sad but true. You toss out a few f-bombs and talk about how disrepected you are then that's going to get the attention of the media. Talk about how "haters in the media" and that's going to get more attention. My point is that there is a tone difference. I don't like either, but Ortiz' is naturally going to get more attention because he's the kind of guy who loves attention and is louder than Lester so will naturally get more attention.

I disagree that devastated and "not respected" are even remotely the same. Totally different feelings.

As far as the Bruins...well.. I expect that from hockey players. That's a whole different breed of person right there..but I don't see too many Bruins players throwing out the f-bomb in interviews with reporters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester hasn't.

[/QUOTE]

lol...good analogy.
    in all fairness 37, lester had a 5 year contract and Ortiz has had to do 3 different negotiations during that same time period....hence more chances to:

[/QUOTE]

You're missing the "Schilling Schardonnay"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Go back though.... the haters talk didn't start til after they jumped on him. People know Ortiz, they know his tone. It wasn't like he woke up that morning of the Steve Burton conversation and decided I'm going to speak in a different tone...he didn't, he spoke the way he always has. Nothing new there. So why make a story out of nothing? Ortiz is loud and keeps people talking... but I remember reading somewhere if you ignore something eventually it will go away. Maybe if people ignored Ortiz's yearly chatter, it would die down? But instead the media is the biggest monkey in the room and  what makes him the story and keeps the focus on him.

Hockey players are a different breed, but like you said you expect that from them. Soooooo, why wasn't it expected that Ortiz would have the reaction he had when it comes to his contract? After all, it has been written over and over again....that it has become a yearly thing with him.

I know we are NEVER going to agree on this.

I like the guy, so I'll never stop yapping about him :)

(Until he retires a Red Sox player, then I'll be first in line for tickets to the Ortiz show at Fenway when the retire his number Laughing)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

You want to hear whining?  I got reviews and bonuses to dole out or not dole out, depending on the situation, this week.  Everyone thinks they are outstanding and are deserving of the highest marks and the largest bonus.

I wish there was "no crying" in my field.

At least Ortiz was the WS MVP and can make an argument that he deserves to get paid. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But that's my point..the difference in tone. Sad but true. You toss out a few f-bombs and talk about how disrepected you are then that's going to get the attention of the media. Talk about how "haters in the media" and that's going to get more attention. My point is that there is a tone difference. I don't like either, but Ortiz' is naturally going to get more attention because he's the kind of guy who loves attention and is louder than Lester so will naturally get more attention.

I disagree that devastated and "not respected" are even remotely the same. Totally different feelings.

As far as the Bruins...well.. I expect that from hockey players. That's a whole different breed of person right there..but I don't see too many Bruins players throwing out the f-bomb in interviews with reporters.

[/QUOTE]

Thank god they're different from you, otherwise hockey would be quite boring. And don't worry, the f-bomb won't hurt you, no matter how sensitive you pretend to be.

[/QUOTE]

Haha..you obviously don't know me very well. The F bombs don't bother me in context. I think it's very disrespectful to throw them around in an interview with a reporter. ( you know..time and place..blah..blah..blah).

WHen I talked about hockey players being a whole different breed of person...I meant it in a complimentary way. I LOVE...LOVE...LOVE hockey!

So see..you don't know me at all.. but you know what they say about those who make assumptions..lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You want to hear whining?  I got reviews and bonuses to dole out or not dole out, depending on the situation, this week.  Everyone thinks they are outstanding and are deserving of the highest marks and the largest bonus.

I wish there was "no crying" in my field.

At least Ortiz was the WS MVP and can make an argument that he deserves to get paid. 

[/QUOTE]

Haha..good luck with that ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

....I'm willing to bet this falls off the front page of this forum before dinner time.

[/QUOTE]

For the reason I already stated and that you ignored I bet you are correct.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Or.... I was ignoring the whiney child. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh how clever.

So you have nothing to ad? 

Do you think if someone complains about his contract every time it comes up it would get the same amount of commentary  as when they do it just once?

Think...and then write your thoughts down.

For all to read.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When do you eat dinner?

You have Paypal?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Thats the third time you have edited this. You see when I replied to you earlier your cute little photo wasn't here.

You a little worked up dude?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Oh...you edited it again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     here is your 5th edit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

YOur 6th edit.

Should I call your psychiatrist?