Let's talk about Brian Johnson.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Let's talk about Brian Johnson.

Brian Johnson is dominating in AA and perhaps having better AA season than Owens did.  Another first rounder left throwing pitcher.  In 20 AA starts this yr, Johnson is 10-2 with 1.75 ERA in 118 innings pitched.  also moderate little better than 3:1 SO:BB ratio.  only allowed 78 hits during 118 innings holding opponents to .189 batting average.  He's now up to top 8 prospects for the Red Sox by soxprospects.com.  He had unlucky start of his pro career when he was struck by opponent's hit ball in the face which ended his season.  But he came back very strong starting 19 games with 2.54 ERA across 3 levels.  (Rk, A, A+).  Sox project him as inning eating back end rotation starter but his minor league career stats suggest he could be better.  Exciting to see Owens, Johnson, newly acquired Rodriguez dominating.

"There is no try.  Do or Don't"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Let's talk about Brian Johnson.

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brian Johnson is dominating in AA and perhaps having better AA season than Owens did.  Another first rounder left throwing pitcher.  In 20 AA starts this yr, Johnson is 10-2 with 1.75 ERA in 118 innings pitched.  also moderate little better than 3:1 SO:BB ratio.  only allowed 78 hits during 118 innings holding opponents to .189 batting average.  He's now up to top 8 prospects for the Red Sox by soxprospects.com.  He had unlucky start of his pro career when he was struck by opponent's hit ball in the face which ended his season.  But he came back very strong starting 19 games with 2.54 ERA across 3 levels.  (Rk, A, A+).  Sox project him as inning eating back end rotation starter but his minor league career stats suggest he could be better.  Exciting to see Owens, Johnson, newly acquired Rodriguez dominating.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes.  We can add more names to this exciting list.  Not sure if I agree with the reasoning, but I imagine this is why the Sox were reticent to go long on Lester.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tools are tools, he has that projection for a reason.  The last couple years he's had that back of rotation starter or late inning reliever slapped on him.   If anything, his recent string of success in the upper minors has increased the likelihood that his place is in the rotation.  

The Sox drafted him as a low risk/low ceiling guy thinking that he was guaranteed to get to the majors and help a big league club in some capacity but carried a lower ceiling than most guys.  His superior control is what helps him in the minors leagues but his stuff is average and will take a hit at the mlb level.

I do believe guys that aren't very toolsy can sometimes get the absolute 100% out of their talents and perhaps sometimes be more than anyone ever could have guess; guys like Pedroia.  Johnson has showed enough to where he is perhaps that kind of a guy, but even then I think projection moves from a back of the rotation starter to a middle of the rotation starter.

If all he is is a middle of the rotations starter, then that is great.  That means he's a really good pitcher.  I hope he does push the parameters of his talent and continues to show us more because I absolutely love a guy who pounds the zone and pitches strikes. 

Guys like Webster and RDLR might have the raw stuff to be better pitchers, but they could also be less than Johnson one day as well if they never improve their control. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I wish they'd been able to find space for him in Pawtucket in the second half...his injuries slowed his ascent up the organizational ladder early in his career, but it was pretty clear that AA held little challenge for him.

Even if he only turns out to be the back-end starter he's projected to be, he might be a better major league option than the likes of Webster or Workman very soon, if he isn't right now.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Then again, even if he was nothing more than a back of the rotation starter.  If you can get a guy to eat innings and pitch good for a #4 #5 guy, and do it for the league minimum.....then that is very very very valuable to your team.  It makes it much easier to go out and pay a man $20 to sit at the top of your rotation or in the middle of your lineup. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Last 40 innings pitched, 12 hits. I'd say he is pretty dominating at Double AA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I'm happy if he pushes his limit and ceiling and could be #3 guy.  I think Tim Hudson could be the best case scenario if Johnson can somehow overcome his projection and take off with his good outings.  I don't consider Hudson a toolsy overpowering guy but strike throwing inning eater.  Of course Hudson is right and Johnson is lefty but quality wise, Hudson could be the highest ceiling of Johnson.  Just my opinion though.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Looks like he's all lined up to be Game 1 Starter in Play-offs. Those games tell me a lot about the kids.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox took lefthander Brian Johnson with the 31st pick of the June 2012 draft, but his college batterymate at the University of Florida was the No. 3 pick in that draft.

That would be Seattle catcher Mike Zunino, who has been valued a 1.9 WAR in 106 games this season while calling the game for the Mariners' stellar pitching staff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Wonder if Zunino puts down Fastball sign, and King Felix wants to throw Curveball, who wins that battle?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from psychofool. Show psychofool's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox took lefthander Brian Johnson with the 31st pick of the June 2012 draft, but his college batterymate at the University of Florida was the No. 3 pick in that draft.

That would be Seattle catcher Mike Zunino, who has been valued a 1.9 WAR in 106 games this season while calling the game for the Mariners' stellar pitching staff.

[/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM_tCL04Gg

other names I have posted under: wouldn't you like to know?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Do we have to?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Do we have to?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Will you if I tell you to?  If you have nothing to say, just don't say anything.  At least you won't look stupid. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tools are tools, he has that projection for a reason.  The last couple years he's had that back of rotation starter or late inning reliever slapped on him.   If anything, his recent string of success in the upper minors has increased the likelihood that his place is in the rotation.  

The Sox drafted him as a low risk/low ceiling guy thinking that he was guaranteed to get to the majors and help a big league club in some capacity but carried a lower ceiling than most guys.  His superior control is what helps him in the minors leagues but his stuff is average and will take a hit at the mlb level.

I do believe guys that aren't very toolsy can sometimes get the absolute 100% out of their talents and perhaps sometimes be more than anyone ever could have guess; guys like Pedroia.  Johnson has showed enough to where he is perhaps that kind of a guy, but even then I think projection moves from a back of the rotation starter to a middle of the rotation starter.

If all he is is a middle of the rotations starter, then that is great.  That means he's a really good pitcher.  I hope he does push the parameters of his talent and continues to show us more because I absolutely love a guy who pounds the zone and pitches strikes. 

Guys like Webster and RDLR might have the raw stuff to be better pitchers, but they could also be less than Johnson one day as well if they never improve their control. 

[/QUOTE]

Hugh - You still have hopes for Webster? Do you watch the games?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hugh - You still have hopes for Webster? Do you watch the games?

[/QUOTE]

I'm actually more pessimistic on him at the moment...but thanks for continuing your obsession. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Ok. So let's talk about Brian Johnson, before we tip the scale on where he should be considered in the Sox future rotation should we see how he does at AAA next season first? This thread is like throwing darts at a board blindfolded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok. So let's talk about Brian Johnson, before we tip the scale on where he should be considered in the Sox future rotation should we see how he does at AAA next season first? This thread is like throwing darts at a board blindfolded.

[/QUOTE]

Waiting to see how he performs in AAA next year is a given.  Well perhaps it isn't, but it should be. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

wooo! da fre really loved him in AC/dc.. the best lead they ever had.. if he pitches as he brought the vocals, I'm all in! Stanton is coming! who else can tell any team , take any of our top 3 prospects you like and not miss a beat.. owens/Johnson/rodrigiez,j-lovelace,boegy/Vasquez/swihart (not both obviously), GC/Middlebrooks.. whatever.. it don't  mattering.. heck, could even take Castillo!

"Freedom to be = less THEISM, more SEX AND startup CAPITALISM....while speaking truth to power, jabronis +blind traditions!

@Free_UB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

people need to stop only thinking about how they can make pointless arguments to every posts when they got nothing to say.  This post is not meant to discuss where he will pitch in Sox rotation on the future.  That was discussed as part of his potential.  I was talking about how dominant he has been this year in AA and how I'm excited with our lefties in the upper levels.  

Hope you find something better to spend your time on.  Life is short.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

You can have your Nolen Ryans; give me Greg Maddox anytime. If you can put the ball where you want o put the ball, you can win, and win big!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you like Tom Glavine's style I think you will enjoy watching Brian Johnson.

My suggestion Owens and Xander plus Cespedes or Castillo for Stanton and Cishek.

I hope we see Castillo in Sept.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya i think johnson tends to fly under the radar even though he has been great this year. He should be in pawtucket right now, not sure why he is in AA at this point, nothing left to prove there. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...potential always looks good before the 5 years it will take for one of these guys to actually show up in the bigs and play decently let alone be a starter in the majors.

Avery Bradley looked great just 3 years ago - W-T-F happens to these wonderkins?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Soxprospects.com has the following young pitchers projected at these levels:

Boston: de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Webster (RP), Hembree (RP) & Workman (RP)

Pawtucket: Owens, Johnson, Barnes, Escobar, Wright

Portland: Rodriguez, L Diaz, Augliera, Haley, Gunkel

Salem: Stankiewicz, Ball, Aro, Light, McAvoy, McGrath

Greenville: Almonte, Cosart, Callahan, Buttrey, Beeks, Whitson

Lowell: Kopech and others

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Soxprospects.com has the following young pitchers projected at these levels:

Boston: de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Webster (RP), Hembree (RP) & Workman (RP)

Pawtucket: Owens, Johnson, Barnes, Escobar, Wright

Portland: Rodriguez, L Diaz, Augliera, Haley, Gunkel

Salem: Stankiewicz, Ball, Aro, Light, McAvoy, McGrath

Greenville: Almonte, Cosart, Callahan, Buttrey, Beeks, Whitson

Lowell: Kopech and others

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

A few of those others in Lowell include Dedgar Jimenez, who is a young international signee with good stuff, doesn't give up a lot of hits, gets a decent amount of strike outs and has very impressive control for his age.  Another is Gabe Speier who was a late round under the radar high school signee from 2013.  He's undersized for a pitcher but has good stuff, due to an earlier injury he's only recently started to get into a consistent schedule.  In 33 innings this year he has given up 27 hits, K'd 32 and only given up 2 hits.  I know he's listed as a bullpen guy on Soxprospects I don't know how they can move him out of the rotation.....he may be in a piggy back role. 

Sections
Shortcuts