Let's talk Bard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Let's talk Bard

Space - I agree with everything you said.  I am dying to see Bard pitch like he has as a starter but instead of nibbling in those two strike situations just go right at the hitter.  I have a feeling we'll see him uncork a real gem once he relaxes and trusts his stuff instead of looking like an actor trying to portray a starting pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Let's talk Bard:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's talk Bard :  I would say, if anything, the flaw in Bard's approach right now is that he is trying so hard to be a 'pitcher', that he has temporarily forgotten how to just rear back and throw.  But, that seems like a natural and necessary process in this transition.  I think it likely that he will be able to find a good balance as he gets more experience under his belt.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I think he's too concerned with being a 'pitcher.'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he's trying to figure out how to balance using his heat, keeping his arm strong enough to pitch starter's innings, and mixing his off-speed stuff...he is also learning how to pitch certain hitters now that he's facing him many times a game instead of once...overall he is doing quite well and the fact that he is trying to "pitch" and not just throw bodes well for his long term success....i just cant believe how many folks would rather see him pitch for an inning than start...unreal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Let's talk Bard:
    [QUOTE]he's trying to figure out how to balance using his heat, keeping his arm strong enough to pitch starter's innings, and mixing his off-speed stuff...he is also learning how to pitch certain hitters now that he's facing him many times a game instead of once...overall he is doing quite well and the fact that he is trying to "pitch" and not just throw bodes well for his long term success....i just cant believe how many folks would rather see him pitch for an inning than start...unreal
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Bold item -- That part is very true. I still think he needs to be more aggressive and establish is fastball better. But I do like that he is trying to pitch and not just throw. He still needs find that balance.

I was skeptical when he said he wanted to start, and it remains to be seen how successful it will be. But once they went that way, they need to see it through. It's ridiculous when people say it's a failure after just a few starts.

Come back after 20 or so starts and see how he's progressed. If he's not better than a No. 5 starter with an ERA 4.50 or higher then I'd rather see him as a dominant reliever/set-up guy like he was. But it's too soon to make that call.

He's shown enough to think that he could be a top starter -- No. 3 or better -- once he harnesses everything, if he can harness everything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have been a proponent of Bard back in the pen, but that aside the media and fans should start giving him a break......The Globe headlined yesterday's performance as Bard Struggled.....and 5 1/3, two ER, with 4BB, and just 2K is not exactly dazzling.....but if Buch had given that peformance the headline would have been different

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Velocity aside, Bard is throwing with what once was called a rag arm. One pitch, he tries to throw through a locked hip. Another, his shoulder flies open. Another, he lets the ball go too soon. Another, he holds onto the ball too long. Far too often, he has no idea where the ball is going. He's just flinging it.
    Before we attribute these problems to an adjustment from pen to rotation, he displayed them at the end of last season. I don't know what happened then or why, but the fact that some of the trouble is still observable is cause for concern.
    Thus I'm not sure that advising him to let er rip with the 97mph fastball is the answer. The fact that he says he doesn't know why his velocity is down would indicate that he's trying to keep it up, and that he's not, in fact, trying to pace himself or to find a balance. Starters who can throw 97 throw 97 as soon in a game as they can muster that velocity. It's not pleasant for batters to know it's there. They must dig in against it, making them more vulnerable to other pitchers. If they are not seeing it at all early in the game, they begin to suspect that it's not there. They adjust. And it's not there because the pitcher is keeping it under wraps. It's not there because it's not there. Bard says he doesn't know why it's not there.
    In any event, whether it's there or not is beside the point if his mechanics don't get straightened out. He throws far too many pitches, and far too many of them are balls. Nothing has been said about an injury. He does seem at times to lose focus. But in the vast majority of cases like this, the root problem is mechanical. McClure is probably working on it. Results need to start showing because I doubt that the Sox have the luxury of extending this experiment indefinitely -- if they expect to "win the championship," as BV says. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

bosoxmal and the Eck picked up on it during the pregame that Bard had changed his delivery to the stretch during the game with no runners on.

Perhaps in his side session before his next start he may go exclsively to that. Since he has been walking batters it's probably been from the wind-up at least the first walk of an inning. He also may feel more comfy throwing the 100 MPH fastball from the stretch. That would get peoples attentionand, as was mentioned, set up his other off speed pitches.

The other point brought up in the thread is losing concentration--he's use to pitching one inning; perhaps he needs to join Aceves for Yoga to improve his concentration. He wants to be a starter but it may take him , as was pointed out re. Masterson, it took him a whole season to develop the starter mentality.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Don't think anyone thought Bard would become a top of the rotation starter overnight. But if RS feel he's best suited for rotation long term, hope they leave him alone and don't do what Yanks did w/ Joba, moving him back and forth. Have no problem w/ innings limit this year [150] then to pen to finish season. But when Dice is ready hope they don't move him then. Rather see a 6 man rotation for short term, usually someone will end up on DL or something.