Leyland made a mistake.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Leyland made a mistake.........

.....by pulling Sherzer after Jeter's hit (peralta should have made that play, bad jump).
    He had NY's number and was virtually unhittable. Fortunately it worked out but I found it odd that he would bring Benoit in to face Granderson who had much success against him. I thought for sure it was over for Detroit, andf frankly, it should have been.
    Both teams lacked clutch hitting, NY to greater degree, and I think the turning point was holding Arod up at 3rd in the 4th.
    All in all, one of the better playoff games I've seen in a while. Superb pitching on both sides.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeNeedaManager. Show WeNeedaManager's posts

Re: Leyland made a mistake.........

Leyland was brilliant.  By pulling Scherzer and not using Verlander, all his starters are ready for a 7 game series vs. Texas.  He knew the Yankees had no pitching depth and gambled correctly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Was it superb pitching or lack of clutch hitting? I'm confused...

As for his pulling Sherzer that was a pitchcount issue more so that a stratigic move. Beniot was warmed up and ready and is the tigers late inning bridge to Valverde.

Leyland is a by the book guy and today he's sitting in Texas getting ready to play in the ALCS...with his #1 guy ready to take the ball on normal rest...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

No way Arod makes it home on the play. He would have been dead meat at the plate.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

But I still like Leyland putting Beniot facing Granderson who own him in his career. It is all about mentally.  During his AB, Granderson was probably thinking like "oh I am going to hit another homerun easily off of him".  Instead he choked.   Same goes to A-Rod who was trying to think that he will be a hero during his 9th inning AB.  Instead he choked.  Leyland probably knew that the Yankees were acting way too much egos from the 6th innings to the 9th innings.  How many fly balls did the Yankees hit to the OF from 6th innings to 9th innings?  Alot.  But really none of them were perfectly hit.  Except Jeter.  If that was Jeter hitting that same ball to the RF if he was alot younger, he would have hit it out.  Guess his age have decline his power.  Thank god!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Benoit has turned out to be a valuable addition for the Tigers.  He got off to a rough start this year but turned it around and got some big outs in this ALDS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Leyland made a mistake.........:
    [QUOTE]But I still like Leyland putting Beniot facing Granderson who own him in his career. It is all about mentally.  During his AB, Granderson was probably thinking like "oh I am going to hit another homerun easily off of him".  Instead he choked.   Same goes to A-Rod who was trying to think that he will be a hero during his 9th inning AB.  Instead he choked.  Leyland probably knew that the Yankees were acting way too much egos from the 6th innings to the 9th innings.  How many fly balls did the Yankees hit to the OF from 6th innings to 9th innings?  Alot.  But really none of them were perfectly hit.  Except Jeter.  If that was Jeter hitting that same ball to the RF if he was alot younger, he would have hit it out.  Guess his age have decline his power.  Thank god!!
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda[/QUOTE]

Granderson roped a single to CF off Benoit....hardly a choke.
    Still, i would have left Sherzer in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm going out on a twig here and suggest that maybe, just maybe, Jim Leyland knows more about the game of baseball and his personnel than a bunch of yahoos on a message board (myself included).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going out on a twig here and suggest that maybe, just maybe, Jim Leyland knows more about the game of baseball and his personnel than a bunch of yahoos on a message board (myself included).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

While I agree, at least the mistake-finders are doing so with the knowledge that the Tigers in fact won. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I heard a lot of the talking heads yesterday questioning Leyland for not having Verlander available last night.  Well now Verlander is pitching 1 on full rest and Leyland will have his rotation set perfectly for the LCS.

I think this is why Leyland is a HOF manager and the talking heads are talking heads.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leyland made a mistake......... : While I agree, at least the mistake-finders are doing so with the knowledge that the Tigers in fact won. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

It was a brilliant move to use Sherzer but I bet I'm not the only here who was surprised that leyland went to get him with one out and one on in the 7th. 2 outs maybe, and you have to admit it was almost a disaster with NY loading the bases and Benoit issuing a BL walk to Tex.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

I was really hoping Leyland would bring Phil Coke in to face Granderson and Cano for the lefty-lefty matchup. Credit him for sticking by his guys. Just another reminder that MLB managers know much, much more than I do about how to handle their own teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]No way Arod makes it home on the play. He would have been dead meat at the plate.....
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]
    By only about 3 or 4 strides. What was he watching?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This is the perfect example of RS knowledge.Leyland makes a move (RS fan says it was a mistake) and it worked.
    So how was it a mistake?
    How do you know leaving Sherzer in would have worked?
    Do you think the catcher may have said something like "His FB is not as fast or moving as much or as sharp on his off speed pitches anymore?"
    RS fans always make assumptions that make their theory correct but disregard what actually happened.
    RS fans have been doing this forever and especially in the past 4 years to Terry and the RS FO.
    Most RS fans are just pathetic and have no idea of how the world really works because they only work within their own special "I'm right" world

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I like alibiike, he is for the most part on with his post's. But im not sure why you question a win and a decision from a great manager! He has confounded me with this!

Sections
Shortcuts