LF and backup 1B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

LF and backup 1B

Free agents the Sox should / could still consider. Not all are game changers.

I am still assuming the Sox work out something with Napoli at 1B, although there are reasons to assume this could go either way. Although if Napoli does not sign with Boston, I also assume the Sox will work out a deal for Mike Morse once Adam LaRoche returns to Washington (with either Bailey, Miller or Aceves heading to DC).

One other area (besides SP) still in need of an upgrade is LF, and another is backup 1B. As LF stands the Sox appear to be poised to platoon Gomes with either Nava or Kalish. I do not mind the Gomes signing if his role is limited to the one area in which he excels, namely crushing LHP. But the Sox could use an upgrade vs. RHP. Nava has been successful in this regard, but has a tendency to get all his hits at once and then go into prolonged slumps. Kalish has options left and is still in play, but is not necessarily on the opening day roster, and might be better served in Pawtucket as he was pressed into premature MLB service last year for reasons related to everyone else being hurt. There are other options still available.

The options:

Lance Berkman. I love Berkman as a hitter, where he is in an elite category with regards to plate discipline. If he does not swing, it was simply not a strike, and umpires need to learn to adjust their calls accordingly. And to combine that with his ability to hit with authority is a remarkable and much unappreciated skill. Defensively, his best days as an OF are long behind him, although the last time he played the OF regularly, his team did win a World Series title, so he clearly did not hold them back. He could also serve as an excellent backup 1B, something the Sox are reportedly searching for. Signing him would appear to relegate Jonny Gomes role to a lesser and potentially undetermined status, but this should not be a factor. The biggest obstacles with Berkman appear to include his demands, which at one point where basically what Ortiz got (2 years $26mill), as he appears content retiring if they are not met. The other concern is health, as he missed 130 games last year with an injury that, at one point, was diagnosed as career-ending. While certainly the best option talent-wise, I do consider him very unlikely. After all, if Napoli, who did not miss 130 games last year, is too big of a health risk for Boston, you have to think Berkman would be classified as legally dead.

Bobby Abreu. Abreu is another name whose best days are behind him offensively and defensively. However, he is probably the only other hitter in MLB whose plate discipline is in the same category as Berkman. If he does not swing, it was probably not a strike. Granted, as age has caught up and bat speed slowed down, he is not as patient as he once was (like Berkman). His fear of walls defensively could be an issue at Fenway, and the bigger concern is not the Monster, but the wall along the LF line, as Abreu would undoubtedly let far too many fair flies land that other, bolder outfielders would make plays on. Still, he is in play as the Sox have done some due diligence, and he is reportedly trying to add 1B to his defensive resume. Although it does waste his best defensive attribute, which is his powerful throwing arm.

Grady Sizemore. Sizemore possesses every skill you would want from a Major Leaguer except the ability to stay on the field. He is probably too aggressive defensively, sort of the anti-Abreu. This is a problem as his body can barely withstand colliding with anything, including air molecules. Sizemore might be the only major league capable of sustaining a season-ending injury while reading a newspaper. (“Aaaahh!! The color photos are burning MY EYES!!”) Still, when healthy, he would be a major asset as a LF platoon partner for Gomes. He also has never played 1B, assuming that is a requirement. He certainly could try to learn the position, but would probably injure himself in the process. (“Aaaahh!! The base!!! I dislocated both my ankles when I touched it!!”)

Jeff Baker. The Sox reportedly want a backup 1B capable of playing multiple positions, and this screams “Jeff Baker” loud enough to be heard at both poles simultaneously. However, Baker is another name on the list of right-handed hitters who crush LHP, but struggle vs. RHP. The Sox do not need more hitters with this profile. They need some with the reverse profile, such as Seth Smith, David Murphy or David DeJesus. Forget Baker and go get one of these guys to platoon with Gomes, Cherington!

Rick Ankiel. Defensively gifted outfielder who, like Sizemore, tends to be a little too aggressive, but at least possesses a level of durability not associated with museum exhibits. Offensively, he is better against RHP, but it is not exactly an area in which he excels. He is less than Nava with the bat, but he does have a well-deserved reputation for throwing the ball to the point where he is rarely challenged, even by runners on 3B on deep flyballs. If versatility is a need, Ankiel is not a good option as he has never played any position except OF and SP.

Dan Johnson. Johnson is another one of the most patient and disciplined hitters in all of baseball, but lacks the complimentary hitting skills found with Berkman and Abreu. He is an excellent PH option over his career, including twice damaging the post-season for Boston with this skill. (His PH home run off Papelbon in 2008 all but relegated Boston to the Wild Card, and his PH HR in the ninth inning of the last game in 2011 contributed heavily to finishing the collapse.) He has very little defensive versatility and is a longshot signing at best, although is absolutely worthy of a minor league deal. Soxprospects.com lists Mitch Maier as the starting 1B in Pawtucket. Maier has never played 1B, and lacks Johnson’s discipline and power, but can get on base pretty well due to hit slap-hitting style of fouling off close pitches and working a walk.

Luke Scott. Hey, he can hit RHP and play OF somewhat. His statements about Boston and their fans might be a little tough to overcome, along with his very outspoken right wing stances, and, really, his overall ability to be an idiot. But, hey, if Boston fans can embrace hardcore right-winger Curt Schilling, they might be OK with Scott if he shows he can hit. And he can hit. Historically Scott has been very successful vs. RHP (.820OPS last year, .935 for his career). He has not played more than 45 games in the outfield in a season since 2008, but has managed to see the outfield on multiple occasions every season. He used to play the position fairly well back when he was a regular, but that was a long time ago. He also has experience at 1B. As an overall player, he might be the best fit for the Sox on this list. However, he has not done a great job positioning himself for the fans, and would be tough to embrace. Still, if he is smart (he isn’t), this would be easy to overcome with one press conference. I predict they pass, although there are reasons he makes sense…

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Re: LF and backup 1B

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Berkman would be classified as legally dead.

This is a problem as his body can barely withstand colliding with anything, including air molecules.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Great post!

It's odd how Coco Crisp has been kicked out of centerfield from the Indians and Red Sox by two outfielders that can't seem to successfully negotiate the playing field. I like Berkman as an alternate, but was not aware of his demand for "Papi money".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Berkman may be the choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Bottom line is that before we can or should make a play for a B/U. They need to finish the Napoli deal and bring closure, so they can move on to figuring out what the need is...Salty's an option to play some 1st, where he did a good job plattoning in Texas.

As for leftfield, my guess is they're going to start the season with a platoon of Nava/Kalish and Gomes. Of the three only Kalish has the ability to play all three outfield spots so he's the one I'd see making the roster over Nava if it comes to that. There's really no need to rush to fill Leftfield with Gomes signed for two seasons along with both Kalish & Nava under the teams control they have the flexibility to be patient. My guess is that it's a position and a roster spot. That they'd like to keep somewhat fluid, while they look for a permanant long term solution. A player that profiles as an impact middle of the order bat (Williams, Yaz, Rice, void, Manny, Bay, void).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Berkman seems like the best contributor among mentioned but he has few other suitors I believe, Rangers and Astros, that he can easily turn down Sox' platoon or backup position offer.  I like Sizemore.  He wouldn't cost much since he will be taking anything to prove that he can stay healthy.  And he's very athletic thus there won't be any problem defensively at 1B.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I like Berkman too.  I know he had two knee surgeries last year.  But I believe that he will have a bounce-back year in 2013.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Excellent analysis Notin with some great one-liners.

Did you consider Overbay or Huff?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Luke Scott comes to Boston, I think he will get a hit by pitch by one of our pitchers during batting practice.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Berkman is only a DH at this point in his career, and if he plays, he will play in Texas.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Lance Berkman quote:If I'm going to play, I'm going to give my heart and soul to the team,he told the Post-Dispatch. But if the carrots not big enough, the mule isnt going to want to go.

Is this mule really worth a "big carrot"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lance Berkman quote:If I'm going to play, I'm going to give my heart and soul to the team,he told the Post-Dispatch. But if the carrots not big enough, the mule isnt going to want to go.

Is this mule really worth a "big carrot"?

[/QUOTE]

At least he's not referring to himself as a "horse".  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

One other area (besides SP) still in need of an upgrade is LF, and another is backup 1B. As LF stands the Sox appear to be poised to platoon Gomes with either Nava or Kalish. I do not mind the Gomes signing if his role is limited to the one area in which he excels, namely crushing LHP. But the Sox could use an upgrade vs. RHP. Nava has been successful in this regard, but has a tendency to get all his hits at once and then go into prolonged slumps.

[/QUOTE]

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/12/28/3810452/Boston-Red-Sox-Daniel-Nava-best-of-2012-most-endearing-marginal-player

This is a good piece about Nava written by Marc Normandin on the Over the Monster website.  Normandin feels that Nava's slump last year had a lot to do with the wrist injury that eventually sidelined him about a month. 

In his final 11 games last year Nava put up a line of 278/366/528 with 2 HR, which tends to support Normandin's take. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Offer Sizemore a minor league contract. Forget the rest of those bums. Since they just spent a fortune on old dumbster trash Shane, trade Ellsbury with prospects for J. Upton.

Use Gomez and Salty at first base, as opposed to those bums. The GM is incompetent and is now caught with his pants down. He had plenty of time to hedge on the damaged goods, Napoli. He did nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Listen to you...advocating to acquire a repeated injury player in Sizemore, while assuming he'd accept a minor league deal?? Talk about being hypocritical since all you are doing is complaining that we are bringing in injured players now.

Guess who'll be the first one to complain when Salt/Gomez combination backs .220 and gives up more runs defensively than they provide offensively...yep YOU!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Assuming Napoli signs, the payroll totals $176 mil. which means that they are $2 mil. below the luxury tax threshold.  My guess is that they go with Gomes, Kalish, and Nava in LF.

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link?

Does this include the $3.9M paid to the Dodgers?

Does it include the player retirement contribution that counts towards the limit?

Is this the actual payroll or the average salary numbers used for luxury tax purposes?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Listen to you...advocating to acquire a repeated injury player in Sizemore, while assuming he'd accept a minor league deal??

Big difference between a minor league offer and "advocating spending 60 million on damaged goods". Check your reading comprehension, I never "assumed he'd accept a minor league offer". However, there is more than a small chance that he will have no choice but to accept a minor league contract offer.

Since I didn't sit on my hands when providing the specific detailed plan I spelled out for 1B for 2013, don't even go there on the "you'll coplain if Salty and Gomez don't". I would have long since passed on Napoli beyond one year and 15M (assuming his medicals show he can handle one full-time season, dubious), acquired VMart or ruled him out via trade market, and already signed Loney to a one year 2M deal to platoon with Gomez, and still been able to trade Loney without losing a dime if the better option of VMart via trade or Napoli for one year were viable.

I'm amused by all you idiots who say "deal of the century to get rid of Crawbust's failed near 40 million dollar investment". Sure, deal of the century, and AGon is gone from 1st base and you dimwits are talking about how AGon wasn't worth it and you are talking about one of the biggest bums in MLB history, Lance Berkman.

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me...but how about you check your writing comprehension before accusing me of not reading things properly...if you say they should since a player to a minor league contract...it is implied that you expect him to accept that type of deal...if not, then don't write it that way.

Plus, who's to say the new deal the Sox come up with for Napoli isn't totally restructured because of the injury risk...how about we wait and see on that before you state as fact that they invested 40 million.

Lastly, your alternative plan for 1B added nothing to improve the team, whereas Napoli has the likelihood to add a power RH bat to the middle of the line-up...something they are lacking without him.

So we disagree...I'd take a Napoli/Berkman combo way over a Gomez/Loney combo for 1B on my team...but I know you are so enamored to save a few bucks to solve this position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

Free agents the Sox should / could still consider. Not all are game changers.

I am still assuming the Sox work out something with Napoli at 1B, although there are reasons to assume this could go either way. Although if Napoli does not sign with Boston, I also assume the Sox will work out a deal for Mike Morse once Adam LaRoche returns to Washington (with either Bailey, Miller or Aceves heading to DC).

One other area (besides SP) still in need of an upgrade is LF, and another is backup 1B. As LF stands the Sox appear to be poised to platoon Gomes with either Nava or Kalish. I do not mind the Gomes signing if his role is limited to the one area in which he excels, namely crushing LHP. But the Sox could use an upgrade vs. RHP. Nava has been successful in this regard, but has a tendency to get all his hits at once and then go into prolonged slumps. Kalish has options left and is still in play, but is not necessarily on the opening day roster, and might be better served in Pawtucket as he was pressed into premature MLB service last year for reasons related to everyone else being hurt. There are other options still available.

The options:

Lance Berkman. I love Berkman as a hitter, where he is in an elite category with regards to plate discipline. If he does not swing, it was simply not a strike, and umpires need to learn to adjust their calls accordingly. And to combine that with his ability to hit with authority is a remarkable and much unappreciated skill. Defensively, his best days as an OF are long behind him, although the last time he played the OF regularly, his team did win a World Series title, so he clearly did not hold them back. He could also serve as an excellent backup 1B, something the Sox are reportedly searching for. Signing him would appear to relegate Jonny Gomes role to a lesser and potentially undetermined status, but this should not be a factor. The biggest obstacles with Berkman appear to include his demands, which at one point where basically what Ortiz got (2 years $26mill), as he appears content retiring if they are not met. The other concern is health, as he missed 130 games last year with an injury that, at one point, was diagnosed as career-ending. While certainly the best option talent-wise, I do consider him very unlikely. After all, if Napoli, who did not miss 130 games last year, is too big of a health risk for Boston, you have to think Berkman would be classified as legally dead.

Bobby Abreu. Abreu is another name whose best days are behind him offensively and defensively. However, he is probably the only other hitter in MLB whose plate discipline is in the same category as Berkman. If he does not swing, it was probably not a strike. Granted, as age has caught up and bat speed slowed down, he is not as patient as he once was (like Berkman). His fear of walls defensively could be an issue at Fenway, and the bigger concern is not the Monster, but the wall along the LF line, as Abreu would undoubtedly let far too many fair flies land that other, bolder outfielders would make plays on. Still, he is in play as the Sox have done some due diligence, and he is reportedly trying to add 1B to his defensive resume. Although it does waste his best defensive attribute, which is his powerful throwing arm.

Grady Sizemore. Sizemore possesses every skill you would want from a Major Leaguer except the ability to stay on the field. He is probably too aggressive defensively, sort of the anti-Abreu. This is a problem as his body can barely withstand colliding with anything, including air molecules. Sizemore might be the only major league capable of sustaining a season-ending injury while reading a newspaper. (“Aaaahh!! The color photos are burning MY EYES!!”) Still, when healthy, he would be a major asset as a LF platoon partner for Gomes. He also has never played 1B, assuming that is a requirement. He certainly could try to learn the position, but would probably injure himself in the process. (“Aaaahh!! The base!!! I dislocated both my ankles when I touched it!!”)

Jeff Baker. The Sox reportedly want a backup 1B capable of playing multiple positions, and this screams “Jeff Baker” loud enough to be heard at both poles simultaneously. However, Baker is another name on the list of right-handed hitters who crush LHP, but struggle vs. RHP. The Sox do not need more hitters with this profile. They need some with the reverse profile, such as Seth Smith, David Murphy or David DeJesus. Forget Baker and go get one of these guys to platoon with Gomes, Cherington!

Rick Ankiel. Defensively gifted outfielder who, like Sizemore, tends to be a little too aggressive, but at least possesses a level of durability not associated with museum exhibits. Offensively, he is better against RHP, but it is not exactly an area in which he excels. He is less than Nava with the bat, but he does have a well-deserved reputation for throwing the ball to the point where he is rarely challenged, even by runners on 3B on deep flyballs. If versatility is a need, Ankiel is not a good option as he has never played any position except OF and SP.

Dan Johnson. Johnson is another one of the most patient and disciplined hitters in all of baseball, but lacks the complimentary hitting skills found with Berkman and Abreu. He is an excellent PH option over his career, including twice damaging the post-season for Boston with this skill. (His PH home run off Papelbon in 2008 all but relegated Boston to the Wild Card, and his PH HR in the ninth inning of the last game in 2011 contributed heavily to finishing the collapse.) He has very little defensive versatility and is a longshot signing at best, although is absolutely worthy of a minor league deal. Soxprospects.com lists Mitch Maier as the starting 1B in Pawtucket. Maier has never played 1B, and lacks Johnson’s discipline and power, but can get on base pretty well due to hit slap-hitting style of fouling off close pitches and working a walk.

Luke Scott. Hey, he can hit RHP and play OF somewhat. His statements about Boston and their fans might be a little tough to overcome, along with his very outspoken right wing stances, and, really, his overall ability to be an idiot. But, hey, if Boston fans can embrace hardcore right-winger Curt Schilling, they might be OK with Scott if he shows he can hit. And he can hit. Historically Scott has been very successful vs. RHP (.820OPS last year, .935 for his career). He has not played more than 45 games in the outfield in a season since 2008, but has managed to see the outfield on multiple occasions every season. He used to play the position fairly well back when he was a regular, but that was a long time ago. He also has experience at 1B. As an overall player, he might be the best fit for the Sox on this list. However, he has not done a great job positioning himself for the fans, and would be tough to embrace. Still, if he is smart (he isn’t), this would be easy to overcome with one press conference. I predict they pass, although there are reasons he makes sense…

[/QUOTE]

(a) I like to see Berkman take the Napoli's spot on 1B. Lance maybe aging but can still get the job done. Gomez will be good platoon player, to see what type of batting numbers Gomez can produce this season. Berkman can fit in at 1B, DH. pinch hitting, extra innings relief, switch hiiter and if necessary OF. Gomez and Berkman can share first base duties this season, and both can still get enough playing time.

(b) I was happy to see Napoli being sign, but happier that the sox mngt. took notice of the injury assessment. Personally I do not want another injured prone Red Sox roster. If we take a look at some major injuries with in the last 2 seasons, there are a lot of big names on the list, ( Ped, Ellsbury, Papi, Kalish,Nava, Lackey, Morales, Bailey etc.).

(c) Berkman is old and has some problems regarding injuries but, with gomez and berkman sharing 1B duties, berkman can probably have a productive season in the batting line up on the 7, 8, 9 ninth spot.

(d) When the rumours came out that Hosmer was available from KC, Cherry should of jump on this deal.

(e) Now the biggest RUMOUR is the OF'er Stanton. The sox do have the prospects and MLB players to actually get this deal done. I personally think getting this kid will be a pipe dream but also realistic. If the management is capable to get this trade done, would make our OF very solid. Gomes Stanton Ellsbury Victorino. Hopefully the sox can keep Bradley Jr. w/o putting him in this trade. 2 years from now our OF will still be strong Gomes Stanton Victorino Bradley Jr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Berkman, assuming health and $$$ are okay.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Assuming Napoli signs, the payroll totals $176 mil. which means that they are $2 mil. below the luxury tax threshold.  My guess is that they go with Gomes, Kalish, and Nava in LF.

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link?

Does this include the $3.9M paid to the Dodgers?

Does it include the player retirement contribution that counts towards the limit?

Is this the actual payroll or the average salary numbers used for luxury tax purposes?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Schroll down to Dec. 31

[/QUOTE]

This is a prime example of how the Globe often misses the boat. The numbers given are not average yearly salaries of the contracts we have. They are actual 2013 salaries which are not used for luxuryy. tax purposes as the article implies they are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

wow check out the link for the worst bum in history......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Berkman#Major_League_career

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Berkman has been a great hitter, but I think he's looking for some pretty good dough to entice him back for one last rodeo.  Personally a swan song signing like that makes me nervous.  He seems like a guy who's halfway between wanting to play and wanting to retire. 

25. This post has been removed.