Lies the media tells

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Lies the media tells

Just one more reason not to believe anything they write.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1061152412

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

Re: Lies the media tells

That's why belichick's the best with dealing with the media

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Lies the media tells:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Lies the media tells : Just one more reason not to believe anything they write. so why post the article ? no news there we knew the players liked him just like many of us liked the kids that mom said stay away from
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

It was posted to enlighten, reinforce, change peoples ideas about the media. Question for you, why are you continually on the side of journalism that is controversial, inaccurate, and irresponsible. Could it be that as a Yankee fan, you take joy in anything that is anti-Red Sox and gets their fans into an uproar? You love columnists that specialize in that and you also love forum posters who do the same. This is why you are good buddies with Babe, Yazzer, Softlaw, Andrewmitch, and ThatWasMe .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Tomase is the author. That, alone, is enough to dismiss it as ill-informed, presumptuous garbage.

Tomase is a pig, and journalism will be better in Boston once he's gone.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The media can and will put whatever slant they want to on a story.  One guy sees Lackey holding 2 beers and interprets that as lack of caring and being a detriment to the clubhouse.  Another guys sees the exact same thing and interpets it as Lackey trying to loosen up the clubhouse and being a good, supportive teammate in any way that he can.

None of us knows for sure what is going on in the clubhouse, but the players have repeatedly said that Lackey is a great teammate, and they have repeatedly defended him when the media tries to paint him in a bad light.

I'm inclined to believe the players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I kind of like this personal attention you're giving me, I must be doing something right!

Did I say anything about Hags? Quite frankly, if it's not hockey related...why would anyone listen too closely?

I do like a few Sox players. I've been consistent in my defense of Saltalamacchia. Though the results haven't been there, I still like Lester. Last offseason I commented it was silly to be calling a 24 year old Doubront nothing more than a bullpen arm, as many were doing. It's not worth really discussing anyone who wasn't here last September, they're all new, and why wouldn't I like most of them? Ross, Aviles, Middlebrooks, Padilla, Morales.

I know I don't need to point all this out, few take you seriously anyway. And really, I know the same is true for me, and I'm ok with that. I was ridiculed for questioing this team on opening day, well....like me or not, I've been the 'rightest' person on this board with respect to this team, this year. At the end of the day, I do enjoy making a fool look foolish. Thank you for playing a part in that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Proves we know nothing of what goes on in the clubhouse That we perceive what we are told by the media thus whatever we see gets interpreted thru that prism. I have said it before and have been called naive, pinkhat, idiot, etc.... I have seen great players railroaded by the media and then by fans Rice, Williams,, Yaz, Manny, now Lackey, Beckett, Lester, CC, etc... Sometimes it is a bad season, sometimes an injury, many times an incorrect perception by the media. Lackey should not be with the team but be rehabbing in fort Myers yet Jake should be with the RS not iAZ rehabbing Lackey & Beckett are cancers as fans and the media say. Yet are loved by their team mates as great clubhouse guys. Dump this guy and this guy. Bring up this guy and not that guy. Fans get pizzedbecause their ideas do not get played out. Do you think the FO knows more than us....you betcha they do. Which is why Valencia is coming up for Middlebrooks and not iggy.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

“In 2010, everyone crushed (Jacoby Ellsbury [stats]) because he didn’t rehab with the team,” Pedroia said. “Now they don’t want John Lackey here? Pick one. Get a clue.”

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I want to believe this article; I want to believe that Red Sox players are all great guys.  But Lackey's perception problem isn't a media creation - it's what we see during every game he pitches.  How can the guy described in this article go out and show up every team-mate who makes a mistake in the field, regardless of how poorly he's pitching that day?  The shouting, the swearing, the spitting, the eye-rolling - it just doesn't wash.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Everything bad about a player goes away when they do one thing:

Win games.

They old saying is , "everybody loves a winner" , this is more true today than it has ever been.

The Yankees fans love Jeter. Does anyone really peek enough into his private life to know if he participates in illegal , illicit or wierd stuff in his time away form the ballpark?....as long as the Yankees win, does anyone care?

As long as the Red Sox continue their descent to the bottom of the AL standings, media and fans will keep searching for scapegoats, cancers, and the worst scoundrels of all...BEERDRINKERS!!!!...and the funny, extremely hilarious thing about this is that most of the fingerpointers drink beer themselves!

I eat lots of chicken and while I do not drink alcohol regularly ( I've gone more than a year since my last beer), I have been known to have the occasional glass of wine or bottle of beer. But, I have nothing against the guy who loves his beer, as long as he does it responsibly.

The bottom line is we could be shown video of John Lackey eating fried chicken and swilling beers BETWEEN INNINGS, and if he puts up a W, an ERA under 4.00, and the team is in first place.....we would all laugh it off.

It's the losing that is the problem. Everyone is trying to be the star detective that indentifies the culprit so that he can be hanged from the leftfield wall one opening day next season.

You won't find one. So, it's time to quit the witch hunting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Lies the media tells:
    [QUOTE]Just one more reason not to believe anything they write. http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1061152412
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]
    It's ironic that you cite the media to support your criticism of the media.

You can believe what you want to believe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Everything bad about a player goes away when they do one thing: Win games. They old saying is , "everybody loves a winner" , this is more true today than it has ever been. The Yankees fans love Jeter. Does anyone really peek enough into his private life to know if he participates in illegal , illicit or wierd stuff in his time away form the ballpark?....as long as the Yankees win, does anyone care? As long as the Red Sox continue their descent to the bottom of the AL standings, media and fans will keep searching for scapegoats, cancers, and the worst scoundrels of all...BEERDRINKERS!!!!...and the funny, extremely hilarious thing about this is that most of the fingerpointers drink beer themselves! I eat lots of chicken and while I do not drink alcohol regularly ( I've gone more than a year since my last beer), I have been known to have the occasional glass of wine or bottle of beer. But, I have nothing against the guy who loves his beer, as long as he does it responsibly. The bottom line is we could be shown video of John Lackey eating fried chicken and swilling beers BETWEEN INNINGS, and if he puts up a W, an ERA under 4.00, and the team is in first place.....we would all laugh it off. It's the losing that is the problem. Everyone is trying to be the star detective that indentifies the culprit so that he can be hanged from the leftfield wall one opening day next season. You won't find one. So, it's time to quit the witch hunting.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Great post, Zilla!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from eab2011. Show eab2011's posts

In Response to Lies the media tells:
    [QUOTE]Just one more reason not to believe anything they write. http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1061152412
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]

Haggerty clearly has an agenda here.  He OMITTED facts (clearly intentionally) from his report to make Lackey look bad:
    1. He wasn't the only one having a beer
    2. Having a beer in the visitors locker room after games is allowed by the RED SOX

Comcast has no business putting Haggerty on as a REPORTER because he isn't.  He slants stories and omits facts.  He should be fired for this story alone.

The sports media in Boston with very very very few exceptions are just bottom feeding slugs incapable of reporting facts.  Why bother when reporting rumors and innuendo as fact is permitted.  There is not a media outlet in Boston that shouldn't look at people like Haggerty and either change their titles to RUMOR MONGER or get them under control.  Neither is likely because then no one would listen to the sports radio shows or the cable sports shows. 

Facts and the truth are just inconvenient things to ignore when it doesn't suit the slant of the story being told.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Lies the media tells : Haggerty clearly has an agenda here.  He OMITTED facts (clearly intentionally) from his report to make Lackey look bad: 1. He wasn't the only one having a beer 2. Having a beer in the visitors locker room after games is allowed by the RED SOX Comcast has no business putting Haggerty on as a REPORTER because he isn't.  He slants stories and omits facts.  He should be fired for this story alone. The sports media in Boston with very very very few exceptions are just bottom feeding slugs incapable of reporting facts.  Why bother when reporting rumors and innuendo as fact is permitted.  There is not a media outlet in Boston that shouldn't look at people like Haggerty and either change their titles to RUMOR MONGER or get them under control.  Neither is likely because then no one would listen to the sports radio shows or the cable sports shows.  Facts and the truth are just inconvenient things to ignore when it doesn't suit the slant of the story being told.
    Posted by eab2011[/QUOTE]
    Did CSNNE's Joe Haggerty have an "agenda" any more than Boston Herald columnist John Tomase, who "omitted" John Lackey's ERA and other relevant stats in his response?

Each likely presented factual information in a nuanced fashion.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lies the media tells : The issue raised by Haggerty was behavior and not performance. what does ERA and other stats have to do with this?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]
    If the issue was solely behavior, why was John Tomase compelled to write of John Lackey: "Despite knowing all last season that he probably needed Tommy John surgery, he gutted out 28 starts, including six innings in the next-to-last victory of the season in New York," omitting the negative statistics?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1061152412