Life without Big Papi? Ortiz’ future with Sox no sure thing/What kind of contract would you offer him?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Life without Big Papi? Ortiz’ future with Sox no sure thing/What kind of contract would you offer him?

Would it be better to maybe sign Fielder as a DH? Or at least make a run at him first?

I'd offer Ortiz arbitration and then make a reasonable $10 mil per year bid, for 2 years, and if he walks he walks. We get the 2 picks and can cut our costs at that position or have Fielder in the fold. We need to at least make Fielder expensive for the Yanks. 

Plan C; i.e. Lavarnway can probably replace a lot of Ortiz's production over time and give us a more roster flexibility.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Life without Big Papi? Ortiz’ future with Sox no sure thing/What kind of contract would you offer him?

and a very helpful RH bat ( Lavarnway ).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

1 Year @ 12.5 Million

I would consider an option for a second year, but I wouldn't guarantee one. A one year deal at his same salary is generous. Is Ortiz an icon for the Red Sox? Yes, he is. Is he having a great season? Without question, the extent of his success has been one of the big surprises of the first half. But his next contract represents his potential for future success, not past merits. The salary he is making dwarfs other DH's throughout the league. There are only so many teams that he is a realistic fit to sign with so the Sox have some negotiating leverage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

A 1 year deal to papi is no deal at all becauee he isnt going to take it,,,,so why deal with the bad blood and PR....you either decide you are moving on, and say thank you for all you have done or you offer 2 years with a mutual option 3rd year at what ever the amount you can negotiate to. I think 2 years....18-20mm with the option year at 8 or so is ok from a Sox perspective and David would probably take it because it would be as good as he could get elsewhere and he wants to stay in Boston. We do not want to get into a Jeter situation but we do owe Papi for what he brings to the organization

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

2 years 20 million...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

First - if Ortiz has a .300; 30+ HR season and 100 + RBI's, I think he is going to look for moe than $10 million per. Second, Papi maybe as beloved in Boston as Jeter is in NY. What would the fandom's overall response be if Papi walked over a couple of mil per year.

Boomer - why would the Yanks go after Fielder? Where would they put him? DH,  starting in 2012 is being set aside for both Jeter and A-Rod, giving them both ample rest during the year.

Finally - is Fielder even willing to hang up his glove considering his age?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

5 yrs/65 mil

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You are generous Space - I think 2 years @ $37 million with a 3 year option is fair and works for both parties.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Life without Big Papi? Ortiz’ future with Sox no sure thing/What kind of contract would you offer him?:
    You are generous Space - I think 2 years @ $37 million with a 3 year option is fair and works for both parties.
    Posted by jesseyeric

throw in a bejewelling kit or two and i think we've got a deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Deal

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Life without Big Papi? Ortiz’ future with Sox no sure thing/What kind of contract would you offer him?:
    Would it be better to maybe sign Fielder as a DH? Or at least make a run at him first? I'd offer Ortiz arbitration and then make a reasonable $10 mil per year bid, for 2 years, and if he walks he walks. We get the 2 picks and can cut our costs at that position or have Fielder in the fold. We need to at least make Fielder expensive for the Yanks.  Plan C; i.e. Lavarnway can probably replace a lot of Ortiz's production over time and give us a more roster flexibility.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Thats my feeling, two years for Ortiz and possibly move Lavarnway on to the roster sometime next season if we feel he can effectively back up Salty.  If Ryan keeps hitting the way he is you can't keep him bogged down in the minors.  It could effect whether Tek comes back unless we carry a third catcher so he can also mentor Ryan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Would it be better to maybe sign Fielder as a DH? Or at least make a run at him first? I'd offer Ortiz arbitration and then make a reasonable $10 mil per year bid, for 2 years, and if he walks he walks. We get the 2 picks and can cut our costs at that position or have Fielder in the fold. We need to at least make Fielder expensive for the Yanks.  Plan C; i.e. Lavarnway can probably replace a lot of Ortiz's production over time and give us a more roster flexibility.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I think we better stick with plan B and make a decent offer to Ortiz.....the Sox are not going to pay fielder huge money to Dh and run into the same Interleague issue with him as we had with Ortiz....and as for lavarnway...I get that the he is the prospect of the month, but there is no way you can assume anyone in the Minors, including Mike Trout or bryce harper could replace Ortiz production....no one can project those numbers 30+hrs 100rbis with a straight face....it could happen but you would never count on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Lavarnway has risen rapidly through the minors, hitting .280+ at every level. This year, at the age of 23, he has further boosted his power production. He's doing it in the minors, not the majors, but his overall line this year looks very much like Papi's. It is increasingly likely that his bat will play in the majors.

Moreover, Youkilis (only three years younger) is physically a train wreck at 3B. How many years before his body will demand a move to DH? I hate the thought of losing Ortiz, but equally hate to lose Youkilis. Is it even possible to keep both of them in Boston long term? If we could, would we want to?

Middlebrooks (the likely heir at 3B) could be ready as early as April 2013. Lavarnway, by the middle of 2012. If, four months from now, those dates are looking reasonable, who do you want to see at each position each year? My preference:

2012 Ortiz and Youkilis
    2013 Lavarnway and Youkilis
    2014 Lavarnway and Middlebrooks

But Ortiz isn't likely to take a one-year extension, is he? And it is tough to imagine handing over a key position to either Lavarnway or Middlebrooks out of Spring Training next year.

So I would offer Ortiz a $25M/2yr deal, with a team option for a third (perhaps with a $5M buyout, raising the guarantee to $30M). One way or another, Lavarnway will get a few AB over the next couple years to prove himself. If he is still looking good at the end of 2013, then you hand Ortiz the $5M, a heartfelt thank-you, and wish him the best with the Yankees. Yet if Lavarnway stalls in his development, and Ortiz continues to mash, you can keep him for the third year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yankees don't want the big guy. Montero and Romine are getting another full year under their belt and I expect them to truly contend for a major league spot next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Yankees don't want the big guy.
    Posted by jesseyeric

That's up to them, of course. My greater point is that the Red Sox shouldn't plan their signings around the idea that they will "keep a player from the Yankees". If somebody makes sense for the Red Sox, then sign him. If not, then don't get upset if the Yankees do.

Worked with Damon, for both teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

That's up to them, of course. My greater point is that the Red Sox shouldn't plan their signings around the idea that they will "keep a player from the Yankees". If somebody makes sense for the Red Sox, then sign him. If not, then don't get upset if the Yankees do. Worked with Damon, for both teams.
    Posted by thirtysomething

This could be part of the reason they signed CC.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

This could be part of the reason they signed CC.
    Posted by nhsteven

It could be, but it seems more likely that the Red Sox were worried about replacing two starting outfielders in two years. Remember that Reddick was fading from the picture until he improved his discipline this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Thirty, how are you?...hope you're well...you are missed...really great to see you posting....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Thanks, jete, doing fine.

Do the Rays still have the third best record in the AL? They should apply for a transfer!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I would be willing to offer a three year deal at around $12 million per year.  If he is seeking more I would ponder a option year with a buyout.

He is playing well, seems to be in great shape and has protection for those next three years, so I can see his numbers to continue.

There are no guys at that price that are upgrade to the team nor are they loved by RS nation.  The only two guys out there that can put up his numbers are Fielder and Puljos, but both of them are looking for huge bank breaking contracts.  So no RS fans they will not be getting either of them.

Sections
Shortcuts