Lineup pretty much set; Time for batting order

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Lineup pretty much set; Time for batting order

The current projected lineup...as it is...is good enough to win a lot of games - if and only if - they have good pitching and of course avoid the injury bug that haunts Fenway. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to darrylfries's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It Really matters?  Tell me why?  Any lineup you can come up with is 2nd rate at best. My grandkids know baseball better than most posting here.

[/QUOTE]

News flash,,,this is a baseball forum where many of us actully enjoy the idea of talking baseball and the lineup does matter. Your opin regarding the knowledge of those that post here doesn't...

Back to baseball...since I agree that we're not done yet with roster moves. My lineup below is with the current players on the roster. However if we look at the line-up with an eye on roster construction...the ideal missing piece is a big bat to play left, if we assume that Napoli will man 1B...With Victorino & Ellsbury we have two guys that can leadoff and play centerfield...So if Ells is traded everyone just slides up one spot and say they sign Hamiton then he likely hit 3rd with Papi in the 5 hole...

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Salty/Ross

LF Gomes/Kalish

SS Iglesias

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty sad line-up for the 2nd highest payroll in MLB!

[/QUOTE]

Again you are FOS.

Currently the Sox aren't close to having the 2nd. highest payroll in MLB.

As for bringing Bay back to Boston you really are out of touch with the game.

[/QUOTE]

I was speaking of historically, and besides, they're not done yet. I'm sure ben will fiure out a way to flitter away the rest of it.

I would respond to your name-calling but I'm not going to lower myself to your level, so I'll just say you have a maturity problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is how I see it looking:

RF Victorino S
    2B Pedroia R
    CF Ellsbury L
    1B Napoli R
    DH Ortiz L
    3B Middlebrooks R
    C Salty S
    LF Gomes R
    SS Iglesias R

Bench: Ciriaco, Kalish, Ross, Sands, Nava

[/QUOTE]

Pitiful! How many All Stars do you see in this line-up?

[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?  The top five have all made the all-star team at least once in the last two years.  So five , and that doesnt include Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

You know what I meant Drewski. I'm talking about now! Only Pedey and Papi are potential AS's in this lineup.

[/QUOTE]

Um, ok.  But if a guy is one year removed from an mvp-calibre year (Ellsbury), I would call him a potential all-star, no?  So there are 3.  How many clubs can you name that have 3?  Foxes have Granderson (if he is still on the roster), Cano and ... I don't know, jeter if you can't popular vote nonsense as legit allstar.  Detroit has Fielder/Cabrera and ... no one.  Angels have Trout and ... who is the magic club who has more than 3?  And that is not even mentioning Middlebrooks.  I won't mention Napoli because, even if he regains his all-star form of 2011, he wont get in as a first baseman, but he still might be all-star quality.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox historically have had 5 or 6 guys that are all stars. I can't remember the last pitcher. Oh wait, I think it was Wakefield.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RF Victorino S
    2B Pedroia R
    CF Ellsbury L
    1B Napoli R
    DH Ortiz L
    3B Middlebrooks R
    C Salty S
    LF Gomes R
    SS Iglesias R

[/QUOTE]

Pitiful! How many All Stars do you see in this line-up?

[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?  The top five have all made the all-star team at least once in the last two years.  So five , and that doesnt include Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

You know what I meant Drewski. I'm talking about now! Only Pedey and Papi are potential AS's in this lineup.

[/QUOTE]

Um, ok.  But if a guy is one year removed from an mvp-calibre year (Ellsbury), I would call him a potential all-star, no?  So there are 3.  How many clubs can you name that have 3?  Foxes have Granderson (if he is still on the roster), Cano and ... I don't know, jeter if you can't popular vote nonsense as legit allstar.  Detroit has Fielder/Cabrera and ... no one.  Angels have Trout and ... who is the magic club who has more than 3?  And that is not even mentioning Middlebrooks.  I won't mention Napoli because, even if he regains his all-star form of 2011, he wont get in as a first baseman, but he still might be all-star quality.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli is one year removed from an MVP campaign so 4.  Vic has 2 all-star games in the last five years, so I wouldnt say its outside the realm of possibilities that he makes the all-star game.

But , really, who cares?  Its a popularity contest anyways.

[/QUOTE]

True, but look at who Ben has dealt for; Gomes, Napoli, Victorino, that's like showing up to buy tires and asking them for recaps.

All that payroll available and Ben is paying top dollar for 2nd rate players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

3 @ 13  is not top dollar.  Not even close.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

3 @ 13  is not top dollar.  Not even close.

[/QUOTE]

For backup players it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Iglesias in the minors until he's capable of breaking a .200 BA. They should give Ciriaco a shot as the starting SS.

[/QUOTE]

How can he break .200 in the majors if he's in the minors. Besides, with the stud players Ben has signed, we really don't need Iggy to hit, do we?

[/QUOTE]
    Ciriaco numbers in the minors can be thrown out the window if he continues to improve in the bigs.  Last season alone showed the true grit he has and I agree he should get the start at SS until Iggy can out perform him.  I was a huge supporter after watching Ciriaco play in ST last season and still feel the same until proven otherwise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ells

Pedey

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Victorino

Gomes

Salty

Iggy

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It Really matters?  Tell me why?  Any lineup you can come up with is 2nd rate at best. My grandkids know baseball better than most posting here.

[/QUOTE]

You should have them teach you something about baseball.

And after that, maybe they can teach you about message boards...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is gone (I fervently pray), C will go Lava/Ross

No more Nava (please) Another outfielder on the way, OF will go Ells/Gomes/Vic/and one of Ross/Hamilton/Swisher with Kalish lurking

[/QUOTE]

The smart way to handle LF (without droppin billins on Hamilton) would be to trade Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Oakland for Seth Smith.

Smith has no place to play in Oakland, but is one of the best hitters agaist RHP in MLB, havng an OPS and wOBA against RHP in the top 25 for all hitters over the past 3 years.   Salary and control (and WAR) all roughly equal to Saltalamacchia.

And really, will the Sox miss Salty?  Ross is supposed to be "more than a backup," which means he probably sees 60-70 games.  Napoli i supposed to catch, too, so maybe 20-30 games?  That leaves 60-80 games left for Saltalamacchia.  Is he needed for that few?  More to Napoli?  Use Lavarnway instead?

But get Smith. 

And a SP. Do not forget that...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No more Nava (please) Another outfielder on the way, OF will go Ells/Gomes/Vic/and one of Ross/Hamilton/Swisher with Kalish lurking

[/QUOTE]

The smart way to handle LF (without droppin billins on Hamilton) would be to trade Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Oakland for Seth Smith.

Smith has no place to play in Oakland, but is one of the best hitters agaist RHP in MLB, havng an OPS and wOBA against RHP in the top 25 for all hitters over the past 3 years.   Salary and control (and WAR) all roughly equal to Saltalamacchia.

And really, will the Sox miss Salty?  Ross is supposed to be "more than a backup," which means he probably sees 60-70 games.  Napoli i supposed to catch, too, so maybe 20-30 games?  That leaves 60-80 games left for Saltalamacchia.  Is he needed for that few?  More to Napoli?  Use Lavarnway instead?

But get Smith. 

[/QUOTE]

Since D Ross does just as well, if not better, vs RHPs than LHPs, moving Salty and using Lava vs LHPs would not hurt our overall catcher production at all (when factoring in defense and staff handling projections).

I like the offer.

Do you see any chance to a Salty and another player for G Floyd?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But get Smith. 

[/QUOTE]

Since D Ross does just as well, if not better, vs RHPs than LHPs, moving Salty and using Lava vs LHPs would not hurt our overall catcher production at all (when factoring in defense and staff handling projections).

I like the offer.

[/QUOTE]

If Kenny Williams was still there, we might be able to pull of Floyd and another player for Salty.

Not sure about Rick Hahn just yet.  He seems a little conservative.  He apparently does have sme Kenny Williams Thought Process, as he has already made the obigatory Dwane Wise signing.   If Hahn does one of Kenny's patented "Why get one good player when we can just get two bad players who can fight for the postion"  non-moves,  then the Red Sox should know it is time to strike.   And a taht point, no offer is too stupid.   We are talking about the people who traded Nick Swisher for Wilson Betemit here!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But get Smith. 

[/QUOTE]

I like the offer.

[/QUOTE]

I heard that Kenny Williams' asking price for Floyd in Nashville was crazy, so my guess is the "other player" would have to be a very good one. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But get Smith. 

[/QUOTE]

great addition! platoon smith/gomes  in LF. i like it!

ben, MAKE IT SO!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But get Smith. 

[/QUOTE]

I like the offer.

[/QUOTE]

If Kenny Williams was still there, we might be able to pull of Floyd and another player for Salty.

Not sure about Rick Hahn just yet.  He seems a little conservative.  He apparently does have sme Kenny Williams Thought Process, as he has already made the obigatory Dwane Wise signing.   If Hahn does one of Kenny's patented "Why get one good player when we can just get two bad players who can fight for the postion"  non-moves,  then the Red Sox should know it is time to strike.   And a taht point, no offer is too stupid.   We are talking about the people who traded Nick Swisher for Wilson Betemit here!

[/QUOTE]

Kenny Williams is Rick Hahn's boss.  He's very much apart of what the White Sox do as far as transactions go. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I doubt the Athletics, who have catchers George Kottaras at a projected $1.1 million and Derek Norris at the league minimum, would have interest in Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected $3.9 millon.

The White Sox might have limited interest in Saltalamacchia, who in his best season last year was valued at 2.0 WAR in 121 games, when the White Sox have Tyler Flowers at the league minimum after Flowers posted a WAR of 1.2 in 52 games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt the Athletics, who have catchers George Kottaras at a projected $1.1 million and Derek Norris at the league minimum, would have interest in Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected $3.9 millon.

The White Sox might have limited interest in Saltalamacchia, who in his best season last year was valued at 2.0 WAR in 121 games, when the White Sox have Tyler Flowers at the league minimum after Flowers posted a WAR of 1.2 in 52 games.

[/QUOTE]

The A's also have Coco Crisp ($7mill), Yoenis Cespedes ($8.5mill), and Josh Reddick under contract, yet they went out and got Chris Young ($10mill) anyway.   The presence of George Kottaras does not preclude interest in a catcher unless one believes all catchers are equal.

In fact, given the track record of Kottaras and the performance of Norris, it is very easy to believe the A''s are in the market for a catcher.  Norris might have some BA Top 100 rankings on his resume, but it is not hard to believe the A's would look elsewhere for a solution, especially given their team success last year.  After all, if BA Top 100 rankings were all a team required when making out a lineup, the Oakland shortstop would be Brandon Wood...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lineup looks ok...playoff caliber? i really dont know - probably not...but we need pitching and those moves are still to come - hopefully

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]

RF Victorino S
    2B Pedroia R
    CF Ellsbury L
    1B Napoli R
    DH Ortiz L
    3B Middlebrooks R
    C Salty S
    LF Gomes R
    SS Iglesias R

[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty good for right now.  I hope we get one more GOOD starting pitcher and some additional bench players.  I wouldn't mind a Steven Drew at SS either but I am not sure if he resigned already...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The A's also have Coco Crisp ($7mill), Yoenis Cespedes ($8.5mill), and Josh Reddick under contract, yet they went out and got Chris Young ($10mill) anyway.   The presence of George Kottaras does not preclude interest in a catcher unless one believes all catchers are equal.

In fact, given the track record of Kottaras and the performance of Norris, it is very easy to believe the A''s are in the market for a catcher.  Norris might have some BA Top 100 rankings on his resume, but it is not hard to believe the A's would look elsewhere for a solution, especially given their team success last year.  After all, if BA Top 100 rankings were all a team required when making out a lineup, the Oakland shortstop would be Brandon Wood...

[/QUOTE]

They may prefer Lava.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

hill55 the rain that falls on your parade

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In all seriousness guys, our line-up is not that great. I can see being optimistic that a bunch of things will all work out at the same time. I'm tired of wishing for great confluences of chance to allign for a magical season.

Here's a look at the bright side and the not-so-bright side. It is my contention that there is probably close to a 50-50 chance we have as many of these turn out on the bad side as the good...

The bright side                                                   The dark side

Ellsbury     Could repeat 2011 or better                Could repeat 2010 or 2012

Victorino   Could do well in Fenway                       3 year .264/.334/.434/.768

Pedroia     3 yr: .297/.368/.469/.837                   .797 OPS in 2012

D Ortiz        Has hit well recently                              Age and injury issues

Napoli        3 yr: .261/.355/.520/.875                  2 of last 3 yrs below .812 OPS

Middlbrks  Had a great start in 2012                  Small sample size/high K rate

Salty/Ross   Showed improvement                  Can Ross give us Shopp #'s?

Gomes/Nava/Kalish   Hard to find upside             A lot can go wrong here.   

Iggy/Chiriaco  Great fielding/weak bats           Big loss on offense from M.A.

Let's assume 3 out of these 5 do great: Ells, Pedey, Papi, Naps and Victorino, but 2 do as they have done in recent years on the low side. We'd need Middlebrooks and Salty to break out or some miracle from LF and SS to make this a fine offensive team.