Lock up Ellsbury---NOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lock up Ellsbury---NOW

Buy low, sell high; isn't that what we're supposed to do? One of these Mgmt will wake and notice that Ellsbury is hitting .320, back to hitting home runs at a rate of about 3/month, and about to finish (again) high in the MVP voting. If you haven't spotted the trend, you haven't been watching.

Sign him now, before it's too late!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Lock up Ellsbury---NOW

It's already too late, his agent Scott Boras has gone on record as saying Jacoby fully intends on testing the free agent market. I want him to stay as well but it's a long shot at best that he re-signs with Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not going to happen.  Scott Boras has a big grin these days because Ellsbury's numbers are looking so much better.  That big payday is starting look like a reality again.  Boras is not going to even consider an extension offer by the Sox unless it's at least $100 million, maybe even more.

Meanwhile Bradley is posting an OPS of .927 for the PawSox.  He's your 2014 centre fielder. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In theory that might work, but its not realistic in this situation.

Why would Ells or Boras take a low ball offer from the Sox right now only a few months away from being the top OF FA on the market and possibly getting a much more lucrative payday?

Do you just make up stats? Hes batting .303, not .320. How is he at a rate of 3HR a month when he only has 2 so far this year? One yesterday and one on APRIL 7TH. 3/month makes no sense. I also didnt realize he was atop the MVP voting either. Are they already voting?

seems you might need to "wake up", not the Sox Management.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Buy low, sell high; isn't that what we're supposed to do? One of these Mgmt will wake and notice that Ellsbury is hitting .320, back to hitting home runs at a rate of about 3/month, and about to finish (again) high in the MVP voting. If you haven't spotted the trend, you haven't been watching.

Sign him now, before it's too late!

What trend has him coming close to 3 HRs a month?

He has 2 in 80 games.

BorA$$ is not going to go along with an extension. 

Forget about it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not going to happen.  Scott Boras has a big grin these days because Ellsbury's numbers are looking so much better.  That big payday is starting look like a reality again.  Boras is not going to even consider an extension offer by the Sox unless it's at least $100 million, maybe even more.

Meanwhile Bradley is posting an OPS of .927 for the PawSox.  He's your 2014 centre fielder. 

The step forward we took this season will probably turn into one step backwards next season if we lose Ells and don't beef up elswhere.  I don't see Bradley giving what Ells has for another year or two despite his minor league stats. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

The step forward we took this season will probably turn into one step backwards next season if we lose Ells and don't beef up elswhere.  I don't see Bradley giving what Ells has for another year or two despite his minor league stats. 

Probably not.  But the money saved on the difference between Bradley & Ellsbury's salaries will be used elsewhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I figure we'll have about $44M to spend. We have several areas to upgrade, stay the same (by re-signing our FA to be), or go with youth:

CF:  FA or Ellsbury or Bradley or Shane in CF and Nava/Brentz/ other in RF

C:  FA or Salty or Ross/Lava/Vazquez

3B: FA or Boagerts/Middlebrooks/Snyder

1B: FA or Napoli or Carp/Nava/Middlebrooks/Snyder (Papi in NL parks)

SP: FA or Lester ($13M option) or Aceves/ Webster/ DLR/Ranaudo

RP: FA or Wilson/DLR/ de la Torre or others

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Jacoby is a reat baseball player. But, he's also human.  Boston is not the rigth place for guys like him.  He's very easy going becasue thats his nature. Boston is not a great place to play if you have a easy going nature.  

I want him to stay. But, I also have to be realistic. Boston fans and press are a bit too negative.  They turn on you really quick. So, my thinking is the damage is already done. Boston is just not the right place for him.  He needs a west coast tream.     

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Probably not.  But the money saved on the difference between Bradley & Ellsbury's salaries will be used elsewhere.

Where? There aren't any premium free agents available this off-season. It's all second-tier guys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I figure we'll have about $44M to spend. We have several areas to upgrade, stay the same (by re-signing our FA to be), or go with youth:

1B,I don't think our team would miss a beat without Nap if Middy can handle it with Carp and Snyder.  Salty may be another candidate in the role we got Nap for next season playing both C and 1B if he finishes strong.  

3B, Bogy, Snyder and Middy could all share duty there along with anothe utility guy through FA or the farm.

C, Lav, Salty with Ross being traded.  We simply don't need Ross anymore, Lav has done a fine job defensively and I still say he will have a higher OBP than Salty in the future.  Stop gap until we see what Vasquez ans Swihrat bring to the table.

RF, Victorino, Bradley, Nava, Brentz

CF, Ellsbury 16/18mil as you guys predict and Bradley

LF, With Nava, Brentz and Bradley we could afford to trade Gomes without losing much.

SP, Sign Garza if possible, hes worth more and will give us the consistency Dempster and Doub won't until the kids mature.  Trade Demp or doub?  Or, move Doub to long relief. 

BP, Other than the fact Wilson has yet to give up a HR, I'm not sure why he is even here.  Upgrade within the system is all we need

Closer, That's the biggest question!

Options of being the books along with a couple others:

Gomes 5mil, if traded

Drew, 9mil

Hanrahan 7mil,

Dempster 13mil if traded, 13mil could go towards Ells and Garza who are worth the money.

Nap 5mil

Ross 3.1mil

Bailey 4mil if traded

Possible downside of losing Gomes and or Dempster - team chemistry

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What team is paying Ells $100m? Look at Bourne and Upton to plug in the Ells numbers. 4-5 years. $12-$15m per. 

But who is paying him those $$$?

Yankees, Dodgers, Braves, Giants, Cards, Pirates, O's, Rays, Brewers are not IMO.

Maybe Mets? Cubs? 

Bourn was on the market for an awful long time before he was offered and his numbers have been better than Ells, and he has been on the field much more reliably.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He is not going to get as much as he and Boras think.

He is not going to be back in Boston.

I see the Angels or Dodgers overpaying for him. The Yankees won't, the Phillies won't.

Save the money. He is not as big a part of the team's success as you might think.

He and Boras are still living the memory of Sept. and Oct. of '07 and the one stellar season he had amidst 4 so-so or just plain rotten years.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Jacoby is a reat baseball player. But, he's also human.  Boston is not the rigth place for guys like him.  He's very easy going becasue thats his nature. Boston is not a great place to play if you have a easy going nature.  

I want him to stay. But, I also have to be realistic. Boston fans and press are a bit too negative.  They turn on you really quick. So, my thinking is the damage is already done. Boston is just not the right place for him.  He needs a west coast tream.     

Ell$bury like$ Bo$ton ju$t fine. However there are other factor$ in play, including hi$ agent, Bora$$.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Great use of the $ sign pumpsie, you know the truth that many of Red Sox Nation turns a blind eye to......Ell$bury = golddigger.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

What team is paying Ells $100m? Look at Bourne and Upton to plug in the Ells numbers. 4-5 years. $12-$15m per. 

But who is paying him those $$$?

Yankees, Dodgers, Braves, Giants, Cards, Pirates, O's, Rays, Brewers are not IMO.

Maybe Mets? Cubs? 

Bourn was on the market for an awful long time before he was offered and his numbers have been better than Ells, and he has been on the field much more reliably.

Bourn was part of a free agent class where centerfield was the deepest position, there were also other centerfielders available in trade, including Ellsbury, and Boras is very good at getting maximum dollars for his clients.  Timing is everything here, and Ellsbury should have plenty of suitors, including the Yankees, who won't be bringing Granderson back.  In addition to the Yankees, the Mariners, Mets, Phillies and Rangers, among others, all have the money to spend and a possible need.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

He is not going to get as much as he and Boras think.

He is not going to be back in Boston.

I see the Angels or Dodgers overpaying for him. The Yankees won't, the Phillies won't.

Save the money. He is not as big a part of the team's success as you might think.

He and Boras are still living the memory of Sept. and Oct. of '07 and the one stellar season he had amidst 4 so-so or just plain rotten years.

The Angels have Trout, Hamilton, Bourjous and Trumbo in the OF. The Dodgers have Puig, Kemp, Crawford and Ethier in he OF. Why would they want Ells? 

I simply don't see the huge contract out the for Ells. He could go to a team like the Indians for $50 like Bourne did, or the Mariners for similar $$$. I simply don't see big $$$ waiting for Ells at 30 years old with a game relying on speed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Great use of the $ sign pumpsie, you know the truth that many of Red Sox Nation turns a blind eye to......Ell$bury = golddigger.

We offered Nomar 16mil and he turned it down.  As a result he never made that kind of money again, while his career tanked.  We traded Manny after all he did was try and take advantage of his huge contract and he never made that money again, while his career also tanked.  We offered Tek 10mil and he turned it down because of Boras just to end up back in Boston for less.

We need to think about everything with Ells including previous injuries but should still make him a fair offer.  What we shouldn't do is over pay him just to keep him in Boston.  Come free agency we should learn whether Jacoby wants to play in Boston, or just wants the largest possible contract Boras can get him.  Either way, the larger the contract comes with more pressure on the signing player and risk from signing team.  ARod, Pujols, Texiera, Hamilton, Wells, Zito, Beltran and others past failure's will probably be a huge factor in any GM's decision to sign Jacoby to big dollars long term. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Who was more asy going than Manny? What's that got to do with anything?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In theory that might work, but its not realistic in this situation.

Why would Ells or Boras take a low ball offer from the Sox right now only a few months away from being the top OF FA on the market and possibly getting a much more lucrative payday?

Do you just make up stats? Hes batting .303, not .320. How is he at a rate of 3HR a month when he only has 2 so far this year? One yesterday and one on APRIL 7TH. 3/month makes no sense. I also didnt realize he was atop the MVP voting either. Are they already voting?

seems you might need to "wake up", not the Sox Management.

I did not say he's hittong .320! I said he's heading that way. I did not say he's hitting home runs at a 3/month rate. I said he's heading in that direction. Plewase, read the actual post before commenting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Basestealers get better as they get older. The good ones do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

It's already too late, his agent Scott Boras has gone on record as saying Jacoby fully intends on testing the free agent market. I want him to stay as well but it's a long shot at best that he re-signs with Sox.

Why does everyone think Ellsbury is going to do what Boros tells him to do? He's a big boy and has been thru tougher times than expected. If I'm in his shoes, I'm saying, "what happens if I go 40 for 200 the rest of this year?" Answer: "I missed the boat!". Take my 75. or whatever, for the next five years, stop worrying, go play ball, and sleep well every night!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I did not say he's hittong .320! I said he's heading that way. I did not say he's hitting home runs at a 3/month rate. I said he's heading in that direction. Plewase, read the actual post before commenting.

Huh?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We offered Nomar 16mil and he turned it down.  As a result he never made that kind of money again, while his career tanked.  We traded Manny after all he did was try and take advantage of his huge contract and he never made that money again, while his career also tanked.  We offered Tek 10mil and he turned it down because of Boras just to end up back in Boston for less.

We need to think about everything with Ells including previous injuries but should still make him a fair offer.  What we shouldn't do is over pay him just to keep him in Boston.  Come free agency we should learn whether Jacoby wants to play in Boston, or just wants the largest possible contract Boras can get him.  Either way, the larger the contract comes with more pressure on the signing player and risk from signing team.  ARod, Pujols, Texiera, Hamilton, Wells, Zito, Beltran and others past failure's will probably be a huge factor in any GM's decision to sign Jacoby to big dollars long term. 

Well said.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1B,I don't think our team would miss a beat without Nap if Middy can handle it with Carp and Snyder.  Salty may be another candidate in the role we got Nap for next season playing both C and 1B if he finishes strong.  

3B, Bogy, Snyder and Middy could all share duty there along with anothe utility guy through FA or the farm.

C, Lav, Salty with Ross being traded.  We simply don't need Ross anymore, Lav has done a fine job defensively and I still say he will have a higher OBP than Salty in the future.  Stop gap until we see what Vasquez ans Swihrat bring to the table.

RF, Victorino, Bradley, Nava, Brentz

CF, Ellsbury 16/18mil as you guys predict and Bradley

LF, With Nava, Brentz and Bradley we could afford to trade Gomes without losing much.

SP, Sign Garza if possible, hes worth more and will give us the consistency Dempster and Doub won't until the kids mature.  Trade Demp or doub?  Or, move Doub to long relief. 

BP, Other than the fact Wilson has yet to give up a HR, I'm not sure why he is even here.  Upgrade within the system is all we need

Closer, That's the biggest question!

Options of being the books along with a couple others:

Gomes 5mil, if traded

Drew, 9mil

Hanrahan 7mil,

Dempster 13mil if traded, 13mil could go towards Ells and Garza who are worth the money.

Nap 5mil

Ross 3.1mil

Bailey 4mil if traded

Possible downside of losing Gomes and or Dempster - team chemistry

Naps is on pace to meet many of the incentives. He should make way more than $5M this year.

While I agree that the kids should be able to fill in nicely at 1B. 3B and back-up catcher, I just don't see us handing all those roles to kids. We also will have Iggy at SS making it 4 key roles filled by young players.

I'm not a big Garza fan, but I do like the idea of signing a solid SP. It would be easier to trade Demp or Doubront for a nice player than to trade a 4th OF'er at the deadline.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts