Lock up Ellsbury---NOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Lock up Ellsbury---NOW

I did not say he's hittong .320! I said he's heading that way. I did not say he's hitting home runs at a 3/month rate. I said he's heading in that direction.

Because he hit one HR recently, he's "heading in that direction"?

(3HRs/month)

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In theory that might work, but its not realistic in this situation.

Why would Ells or Boras take a low ball offer from the Sox right now only a few months away from being the top OF FA on the market and possibly getting a much more lucrative payday?

Do you just make up stats? Hes batting .303, not .320. How is he at a rate of 3HR a month when he only has 2 so far this year? One yesterday and one on APRIL 7TH. 3/month makes no sense. I also didnt realize he was atop the MVP voting either. Are they already voting?

seems you might need to "wake up", not the Sox Management.

I did not say he's hittong .320! I said he's heading that way. I did not say he's hitting home runs at a 3/month rate. I said he's heading in that direction. Plewase, read the actual post before commenting.

"Buy low, sell high; isn't that what we're supposed to do? One of these Mgmt will wake and notice that Ellsbury is hitting .320, back to hitting home runs at a rate of about 3/month, and about to finish (again) high in the MVP voting. If you haven't spotted the trend, you haven't been watching."

Yes, you DID say he was hitting .320 and NO hes NOT back to hitting HR's at a rate of about 3HR/month or even remotely close to TRENDING or HEADING in that direction. And once again, when did they start the voting for AL MVP?

I read what you wrote...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Ellsbury will go after the money.  I think it's the same old story, contract year=better numbers.

The guy has been on the DL a lot and frankly I don't think he likes to play in boston.  He was medically mismanaged a few years ago and I think he hasn't forgotten that.  He is playing better right now but the last couple of years he hasn't impressed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not going to happen.  Scott Boras has a big grin these days because Ellsbury's numbers are looking so much better.  That big payday is starting look like a reality again.  Boras is not going to even consider an extension offer by the Sox unless it's at least $100 million, maybe even more.

Meanwhile Bradley is posting an OPS of .927 for the PawSox.  He's your 2014 centre fielder. 

Only an idiot would offer Ells over 100 million. That being said, Ells will be playing for the CUBS next year.

Thats my offseason pick for Ells landing spot. Theo will have plenty of $$ to spend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mjagger's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not going to happen.  Scott Boras has a big grin these days because Ellsbury's numbers are looking so much better.  That big payday is starting look like a reality again.  Boras is not going to even consider an extension offer by the Sox unless it's at least $100 million, maybe even more.

Meanwhile Bradley is posting an OPS of .927 for the PawSox.  He's your 2014 centre fielder. 

Only an idiot would offer Ells over 100 million. That being said, Ells will be playing for the CUBS next year.

Thats my offseason pick for Ells landing spot. Theo will have plenty of $$ to spend.

[/QUOTE]

Not too long ago, only the Yankees could outspend us. Times have changed. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Ellsbury will go after the money.  I think it's the same old story, contract year=better numbers.

The guy has been on the DL a lot and frankly I don't think he likes to play in boston.  He was medically mismanaged a few years ago and I think he hasn't forgotten that.  He is playing better right now but the last couple of years he hasn't impressed.

he's been on the DL twice in his entire career. that hardly constitutes "being on the DL a lot".

IRT the medical issue. yes he was misdiagnosed but since then the FO has completely revamped their medical dept from head to toe. So any ill-will he still bears (and it's absurd to even think so) will have washed away. He does like playing here. Every reporter (who have a 100000X better view into these players than we do) says that he enjoys it in Boston (where he is a fan favorite). If he didn't like Boston he would have asked to be traded and serve out his remaining TC years in another city.

congrats. there was -0- factual information in your post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Its awfully hard for MLB players who grew up on the left coast to adjust to living on the right coast. The press and fan intensity is often too much.   They are two very different worlds. Ells as already earned enough money in his career to afford anything in life he wants with the exception of where he works. 

Lets wait and see.  If he goes to NY, we know it’s about the money.  If he goes to Seattle, San Diego, Denver, or LA, we know it’s about his culture.   If he stays with the Sox its because he likes it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Even with his injuries, Fangraphs has Ellsbury as the 6th most valuable center fielder 2008-2013 with a 19.6 WAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2008&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

And the 11th best over all outfielder:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2008&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

He is not going to get as much as he and Boras think.

He is not going to be back in Boston.

I see the Angels or Dodgers overpaying for him. The Yankees won't, the Phillies won't.

Save the money. He is not as big a part of the team's success as you might think.

He and Boras are still living the memory of Sept. and Oct. of '07 and the one stellar season he had amidst 4 so-so or just plain rotten years.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

Well said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

he's been on the DL twice in his entire career. that hardly constitutes "being on the DL a lot".

IRT the medical issue. yes he was misdiagnosed but since then the FO has completely revamped their medical dept from head to toe. So any ill-will he still bears (and it's absurd to even think so) will have washed away. He does like playing here. Every reporter (who have a 100000X better view into these players than we do) says that he enjoys it in Boston (where he is a fan favorite). If he didn't like Boston he would have asked to be traded and serve out his remaining TC years in another city.

congrats. there was -0- factual information in your post.

You have a right to your opinion as I do mine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Buy low, sell high; isn't that what we're supposed to do? "

Sure. 

But you do know who Scott Boras is right? 

You do realize he doesn't sell low, period, right? 

He will shop Jacoby from here to kingdom come. And if your overestimate of his home run production holds, which you strangely deny claiming even though we can all read, well, that will make it that much worse. 

There's no way to lock him in before a bidding war - ain't gonna happen. 

so, it's a nice idea but your post is not attached to reality. 

Scott Boras is playing for keeps. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe it wasn't the amount of times he's gone on the DL, but the total length of time he has been on the DL since 2010.

It's hard to know if Ells is injury prone, or one who milks an injury, or one who has a low pain threshhold, or none of the above, but the fact is, he has missed a lot of time since 2010.

250 games from 2010-2012 is about 83 per season.

I don't expect Jacoby to get hurt, but his injury history does concern me a little.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Maybe it wasn't the amount of times he's gone on the DL, but the total length of time he has been on the DL since 2010.

It's hard to know if Ells is injury prone, or one who milks an injury, or one who has a low pain threshhold, or none of the above, but the fact is, he has missed a lot of time since 2010.

250 games from 2010-2012 is about 83 per season.

I don't expect Jacoby to get hurt, but his injury history does concern me a little.

Sox4ever

Thanks for making my point!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Buy low, sell high; isn't that what we're supposed to do? One of these Mgmt will wake and notice that Ellsbury is hitting .320, back to hitting home runs at a rate of about 3/month, and about to finish (again) high in the MVP voting. If you haven't spotted the trend, you haven't been watching.

Sign him now, before it's too late!

Apparentley you have'nt been watching....  .320?  3/month?  MVP?  

He's a good player, no doubt....  but your numbers are a tad inflated.

Ells is a gonner... too much money for a leadoff hitter.   It's JBJ time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I feel Ellsbury takes the one year tender to see if he could get his power back. This would be a Beltre type of situation that would allowed Ellsbury to cash in a year later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he thinks his SBs and .360+ OBP will get him the big deal.

He walks this winter.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a question: I know next year's qualifying offer will be about $13-14M to get the draft pick if your player turns it down, but what about a 2 or 3 or 5 year offer? Does it have to be $27M/2, $40M/3, $54M/4, etc... or does a $55M/5 qualify?

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here's a question: I know next year's qualifying offer will be about $13-14M to get the draft pick if your player turns it down, but what about a 2 or 3 or 5 year offer? Does it have to be $27M/2, $40M/3, $54M/4, etc... or does a $55M/5 qualify?

Sox4ever

Only the one-year qualifying offer of about $14 triggers the potential compensatory draft pick if the player signs elsewhere. See Article XX, Section B(3) and (4) starting on Page 87 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]Here's a question: I know next year's qualifying offer will be about $13-14M to get the draft pick if your player turns it down, but what about a 2 or 3 or 5 year offer? Does it have to be $27M/2, $40M/3, $54M/4, etc... or does a $55M/5 qualify?

Sox4ever

Only the one-year qualifying offer of about $14 triggers the potential compensatory draft pick if the player signs elsewhere. See Article XX, Section B(3) and (4) starting on Page 87 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So if we offer Ellsbury $14M/1 and he says no, we can then counteroffer $60M/5 and still get the draft pick if we walks, right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

"the last couple of years he hasn't impressed" Really! In 2011 he batted .321, hit 32 HRs and drove in 105 runs. Those numbers are some of the best numbers ever put up by a leadoff hitter in the history of the game. And do I have to mention he leads the league in stolen bases and plays a fine center field. He was on the DL because the Sox stupidly signed Cameron to play center field and moved Jacobly to left where he got run over by Beltre when he was hustling to catch a fly ball. The other injury came on a stolen base attempt. The guy plays hard and gets ripped here on this forum by folks who for some strange reason seem blind to his talent. I hope he stays with the Sox and I hope they pay him whatever the market says he deserves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'm not a big Garza fan, but I do like the idea of signing a solid SP.

Thing about signing Garza is that he's had our number previously. If he was pitching for us he would at least not be pitching against us ... Cool

That said, I don't think we'll have to do anything by the deadline. Might be the best option to just kick back and see what offers come our way ...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

First move I would do if I were the Sox would be sign Ellsbury. Everybody is crying about Papelbon, wait till the Sox lose Ellsbury. One of the best lead-off batters in MLB. Sox dont have nobody in the Minors or Majors, who will be as good in the lead-off spot. What a lead-off guy is suppose to do.
    When he isn't offered a good contract we'll see.