LOL! Tanaka winded after running less than a mile+throws Lovelace SPLITTERs with no bite, Irabu anyone?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: LOL! Tanaka winded after running less than a mile+throws Lovelace SPLITTERs with no bite, Irabu anyone?

Ha ha...don't pay too much attention to the NY Post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: LOL! Tanaka winded after running less than a mile+throws Lovelace SPLITTERs with no bite, Irabu anyone?

As opposed to all the other pitchers across baseball who showed up in mid-season form, right?

And, for the record, the "physical rigors of american baseball" aren't worth mentioning. It's an absolute joke how much players whine about PLAYING 162 GAMES over 7 months. Japanese players practice more, throw more, do just about everything more. Without 5 star hotels. Without team owned planes. Without people waiting on them hand and foot.

I understand wanting to dump on the Yanks whenever possible...but this is just absurd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I'd also be curious about when he flew over to the states.  Flying from US to East Asia always gives me jet lag, but for some reason (and others I've talked to have stated the same phenomenon), flying from East Asia to the US produces horrendous jet lag.  Psychological maybe.  Maybe because we spend more time in East Asia than in the US, but I am usually seriously messed up for 1-2 weeks when flying home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

As opposed to all the other pitchers across baseball who showed up in mid-season form, right?

And, for the record, the "physical rigors of american baseball" aren't worth mentioning. It's an absolute joke how much players whine about PLAYING 162 GAMES over 7 months. Japanese players practice more, throw more, do just about everything more. Without 5 star hotels. Without team owned planes. Without people waiting on them hand and foot.

I understand wanting to dump on the Yanks whenever possible...but this is just absurd.

You don't really think that Japanese players fly as far or as often as US players, do you?

How does one become a fan of baseball, with all this distain for it's players?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

He sucks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

I'd also be curious about when he flew over to the states.  Flying from US to East Asia always gives me jet lag, but for some reason (and others I've talked to have stated the same phenomenon), flying from East Asia to the US produces horrendous jet lag.  Psychological maybe.  Maybe because we spend more time in East Asia than in the US, but I am usually seriously messed up for 1-2 weeks when flying home.

thanks 4 the stand up post

I think he came over 2 days B4 ST

but as far as I know

the only ones talking about his running R

commy & tanaka himself

joking about how slow he was

which showed me he has a sense of humor about himself

which is always a good thing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

He sucks

steven I'm totally surprised at you man! am I wrong but didn't pitchers and catchers just report to ST? give the kid a chance to get into shape and see how he progresses. like I said in a previous post, this is not japanese baseball. this is the bigs and he's got a lot to learn and a good month or so to get himself into baseball shape. patience my friend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

He sucks

steven I'm totally surprised at you man! am I wrong but didn't pitchers and catchers just report to ST? give the kid a chance to get into shape and see how he progresses. like I said in a previous post, this is not japanese baseball. this is the bigs and he's got a lot to learn and a good month or so to get himself into baseball shape. patience my friend.

I was sarcastic

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

his stuff looked good to me over there but of course against JL players.  i dont think conditioning will be a problem for him.  he is young and should have plenty of energy.

expect him to be electric for a start or two.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well it's official...Tanaka is a bust, dude can't even run a mile let alone pitch over 100 pitches in a game. 

Yankees would be lucky to get a garbage time innings eater out of him.

BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Well it's official...Tanaka is a bust, dude can't even run a mile let alone pitch over 100 pitches in a game. 

BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on

how much does an 8th inning set up guy

need 2 run

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

He sucks

I was sarcastic

HA! when am I gonna learn not to take you seriously eh? lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

his stuff looked good to me over there but of course against JL players.  i dont think conditioning will be a problem for him.  he is young and should have plenty of energy.

Why only a start or two?

pitcher always has the advantage in iniitial matchups.  video, scouting, tipped pitches, getting in the box will shift that dynamic.  happens all the time.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on

how much does an 8th inning set up guy

need 2 run

at least 2 miles. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Why only a start or two?

pitcher always has the advantage in iniitial matchups.  video, scouting, tipped pitches, getting in the box will shift that dynamic.  happens all the time.....

Yes you know what else happens all the time? when a hitter comes up and smashes every pitcher until the book comes out on him and people learn to pitch to him.

I don't think there is a golden rule that says "new pitchers always perform better than new hitters" or vis versa.  It seems to work both ways. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

So pitchers can only be electric for one or two starts? Tell that to Kershaw, Verlander, Darvish and Hernandez.

hahaha...did you just compare tanaka to a TOTR ALLSTAR SP?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Why only a start or two?

Yes you know what else happens all the time? when a hitter comes up and smashes every pitcher until the book comes out on him and people learn to pitch to him.

I don't think there is a golden rule that says "new pitchers always perform better than new hitters" or vis versa.  It seems to work both ways. 

i wouldnt say it is a "golden rule" but the "rule of thumb" is that the pitcher has the advantage in new matchups.  after all...even bad pitchers win vs a particular batter 70% of the time.  having never seen the ball come out of a pitchers hand or his delivery motion may give the pitcher a few extra percentage points.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Give the kid a little while before running him over.

BTW Japan is slightly smaller than Calif. thus travel is NO where as difficult as in the US.

You obviously have never really thought about what a MLB player goes thru to play the game at a high level.

Playing 162 games in 6 months is over 180 days 4 days for AS break leaves 2 days a month off. If you only had two days off from work you'd complain as well and you are only driving to work from your FAMILY and are home every night. Where as the MLB player is in a new hotel every 4 days for half the year and anyone who travels knows even the best hotels are not as good as home.

It is tough work and yes I would have loved to have done it as would a lot of others but it still does not take away that it is a hard road to hoe.

And this is just a small sample of what they do.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Give the kid a little while before running him over.

BTW Japan is slightly smaller than Calif. thus travel is NO where as difficult as in the US.

You obviously have never really thought about what a MLB player goes thru to play the game at a high level.

Playing 162 games in 6 months is over 180 days 4 days for AS break leaves 2 days a month off. If you only had two days off from work you'd complain as well and you are only driving to work from your FAMILY and are home every night. Where as the MLB player is in a new hotel every 4 days for half the year and anyone who travels knows even the best hotels are not as good as home.

It is tough work and yes I would have loved to have done it as would a lot of others but it still does not take away that it is a hard road to hoe.

And this is just a small sample of what they do.

Given the money, pampering, months off, and general ease of the game of baseball...yeah, I don't view it as very hard.

I understand people talk about the 'grind' day after day...and that, to me, is a large part of the problem. Many players go into the season already having convinced themselves that it's a long season, it's going to be a grind, and they are going to wear out. How about some mental conditioning?

Many, MANY people work 6-7 days a week. Year round. For under 100k. Somehow, they don't lose 20 lbs every 7 months, as I've heard many players comment on. How about truckers, on the road for WEEKS at a time, staying in dingy hotels, or in the cab or their truck?

Thousands of people all over this country do it day in and day out. Many do it without complaining, and are still good family people. I get tired of hearing from super-rich complaining about the "rigors of their life". I really, simply, do NOT want to hear it. If it's that bad, they can go punch a clock for 40 hrs a week, and have every weekend off.

I learned you have 2 choices in life:

-Suck it up and deal with it

-Move on

None want to give up the money or spotlight...so stop whining about all that first class travel, 5 star hotels, room service most will never be able to afford, physical therapists and doctors on call...I mean. Do these guys even have to ever go to a pharmacy like most people?

If you tell yourself something long enough, it will become true. Baseball players have been talking about the grind of the season far more as the money has gotten s t u p i d starting in the 80s.

How did those poor guys in the 70s ever play baseball, and hold REAL JOBS in the offseason!??!?!?! And they had prop planes! My goodness! It's practically inhumane!

How did guys used to ever throw 300 innings? Pitchers now are convinced they simply CAN'T, so they have no chance to do it. Once you've told yourself you can't...you're done. 

So, back to my original point...players walk in to the season already broken. Most do at least. Some do not. They are rare, and tend to go down as some of the greats.

I heard a high level exec at northeast utilities, when going over his retirement package, comment that the 500k a year RETIRMENT he was getting was "ONLY THIS MUCH!" When he was reminded that people work in this company for 10 years and don't make that, his response? "Well...anyone COULD live on that much." Some people have a distorted view of reality. I don't sympathize with them...I pity them. That guys way of life costs more than 500k a year...I'm not even angry with that, it is really just sad that he NEEDS that much money to feel ok.

It's also sad that players complain about the 'grind' they have to endure before retiring for 5 months to the location of their choice, every year.

I could pull 16 hour shifts in a factory, 7 days a week for 7 straight months if I was getting paid 7 figures to do it. People go into our own military, go overseas for a lot longer, get paid far less...

Yeah, baseball players complaining about the grind is a joke to me. I stand by that opinion. I make no excuses for myself...and certainly none for the super rich.

• Sections
    Shortcuts