Look for BEN to make some "SURPRISE MOVES" to make room for the YOUTE's .........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Look for BEN to make some

The youth will get some chances to win some jobs:

JBJ > CF

Bogey > SS/3B

Middy > 3B/1B

Lava/Butler/Vazquez > C

Holt > Utility IF'er

Workman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa or maybe even Ranaudo, Barnes  or Owens later in the year > SP or RP.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

nEEDS TO MAKE ROOM FOR PITCHERS, wORKMAN, wEBSTER, dON dIEGO dELL a vIEGA, , the other left hander that pitched well in relief ???   Ben is not going to stand pat with older/getting older pitchers .....  

While I agree that younger players are good for the team...they are not the answer to a winning team.  The Sox won the WS this year with a veteran outfield and a veteran infield with the exception of WMB, Boggy and Iggy.  Teams are better when their is an infusion of youth....but not the entire team.  Boggy will be up.  JBJ may have a chance....but he needs to earn it....same with the others.  Competition amongst the team to win positions is ALWAYS a good thing.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

This is always a good question in the land of the Red Sox-play the young guys or pay a veteran.

Many years the farm system has not produced players ready for the big league team, but now there seem to be some minor leaguers with very good chances to make good contributions as young guys and build into quality major league players within a couple of years.

Traditionally, however, the Sox have not been willing to make any commitment to a young guy, have given out larger contracts to veterans from other teams and may have hurt themselves over the long haul in many cases.

If you have a guy like Bogaerts, who certainly appears ready, I would like to see them play him at shortstop beginning with the first game of next season.

Drew made some very strong contributions to this year's team, but signing him for even a two year contract for $10 M + per year only keeps Bogaerts from playing short for another two seasons.  Drew served a purpose of giving either Iglesias or Bogaerts another year to prove themselves, but he is likely to be a bottom-of-the-order, .250 hitter again next year and $10 M is a lot to pay for an eight hole hitter.

If Bogaerts gets a half year chance and proves not to be able to handle shortstop defensively, he can move somewhere else that is less challenging defensively and a defensive minded shortstop can be obtained from somewhere else (trade, call up, etc)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

nEEDS TO MAKE ROOM FOR PITCHERS, wORKMAN, wEBSTER, dON dIEGO dELL a vIEGA, , the other left hander that pitched well in relief ???   Ben is not going to stand pat with older/getting older pitchers .....  

While I agree that younger players are good for the team...they are not the answer to a winning team.  The Sox won the WS this year with a veteran outfield and a veteran infield with the exception of WMB, Boggy and Iggy.  Teams are better when their is an infusion of youth....but not the entire team.  Boggy will be up.  JBJ may have a chance....but he needs to earn it....same with the others.  Competition amongst the team to win positions is ALWAYS a good thing.

KING, all good points.... You must have taken your "nice pill" this morning !!!!

Bill, Thanks for noticing.  I actually have been nicer to you as of late.....no idea why!  I guess winning a WS will do that!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

KING, all good points.... You must have taken your "nice pill" this morning !!!!

Bill, Thanks for noticing.  I actually have been nicer to you as of late.....no idea why!  I guess winning a WS will do that!

I think that it is because that you must have got the MEMO from the BDC that BILL-806 is good for the board & knows his RED SOX BASEBALL !!!

Don't push it.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

JBJ > CF

Bogey > SS/3B

Middy > 3B/1B

Lava/Butler/Vazquez > C

Holt > Utility IF'er

Workman, Britton, Webster, de la Rosa or maybe even Ranaudo, Barnes  or Owens later in the year > SP or RP.

They will bring in a vet for CF, Bradley is where Iggy's was last year. In terms the infield who knows what they think of Midflebrooks but they probably only bring back one of Drew and Napoli. 

I can't imagine Lava as the starter or back up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

AGreed with few posters that this team cant just go young and try to win it all next year.  Look at Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Houston, Seattle, White Sox, etc who are mostly in the top ten to top 15 youngest teams in MLB, and they all mostly didnt make in the post season as well few just barely made it (like Pittsburgh, Tampa) and didnt advance.

I know St. Louis have alot of young players, but they also have alot of veterans or star players  such as Beltran, Freeze, Holliaday, etc.  That was why they are a good team.

I do not think Boston will struggles signing new players cuz they have pretty much money to use to sign whatever that they want as well they got so many talents in the farm system where they can use to replace few guys!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Saw someone post about maybe using Middlebrooks as trade bait for a young catcher. Seems like a reasonable idea. Christian Vasquez had an impressive year, not sure how close he is to being ready - offensively at least. Amazing defensive catcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There will be a balance of youth, core players, and veterans.

JBJ hasnt earned the starting CF job. Middlebrooks will most likely start at 3b with Xander at SS. I think they bring back Naps for 1b. Hes a good fit, and despite the high amount of K's he still was right at his career norms. Obviously Pedey at 2b.

Catcher? I though that they would resign Salty, but they didnt even offer him a QO yet. They still might, but maybe they are waiting to see if they csan work something out first because Im sure he will get 4 years somewhere.

Workman is the only pitcher I see competing for a rotation spot. Webster still needs to improve command, Britton has a little work left, Ranaudo not ready, Barnes not ready, Owens not ready. RDLR should be kept in the pen and see if he can eventually close some games. 100MPH FB and ++ change up along with a nice slider should be good if he can command them. Thats been his issue so far.

So really only WMB, Xander and Workman to start the year. JBJ is a possibility. The rest will probably trickle up as needed and/or a COC in Sept.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Saw someone post about maybe using Middlebrooks as trade bait for a young catcher. Seems like a reasonable idea. Christian Vasquez had an impressive year, not sure how close he is to being ready - offensively at least. Amazing defensive catcher.

Offensively he showed some inprovements this year with a slightly lower K% and higher BB%, but fell off at the end of the year. He needs at  least another year in AAA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

JBJ > CF

Bogey > SS/3B

Middy > 3B/1B

Lava/Butler/Vazquez > C

Holt > Utility IF'er

Thanks MOON, I couldn't think of Brittons name, he pitched well out of the pen.... Also, the others you mentioned are knocking on the door !!!!

I think he's right.....Youth with solid arms  over Vets with big names and good past .Keep us young and keep us fun.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I feel this organization puts an emphasis on trying to stay competitive while rebuilding slowly at necessary positions.

In 2004 the Red Sox were a veteran-heavy team. On reflection, there is no way that team repeats. I was hoping they might ( as I am sure most of you were, too) but really too many older players on thier last hurrah.....Pedro, Trot, Mueller, Millar, Foulke....etc. The infusion of youth between 2005-2007 was what got the team back, but still, many veterenas still had plenty in the tank...Manny, Ortiz, Schilling, Varitek. The rebuilding process kind of hit a snag in the years after 2007. Not because the younger players weren't good, but after Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon, Ellsbury, there was not many real good kids coming out of the farm, and some that did make it , didn't meet expectations ( Bard, Hanson, Delcarmen, Shoppach). This next wave of Bogaerts,Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Britton, Workman, Webster and DelaRosa will be sufficient to keep the line moving, so to speak.

The Yankee way has been to throw huge money ( and years) at superstars while not attempting to build a farm sysytem, why bother? But, while the Sox do this to a degree, they also keep an eye on maintaining a youthful presence.

A good balance of talented youth and skilled veterans is a must.

All 2 out of 3 of our recent winning teams have used this formula.....don't see why this might change any time soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

I think that it is because that you must have got the MEMO from the BDC that BILL-806 is good for the board & knows his RED SOX BASEBALL !!!

Right you really know Red Sox Baseball.... you didnt even know Britton's first name...all you know is bold font and trade everyone

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If Nap leaves they have to find the bat to protect Ortiz. Gomes, Nava and WMB don't fill the bill. To me there are a couple: Kendry's Morales and he can play 1 B and take the DH role when Ortiz leaves.

The other would be to trade for Trumbo. My only concern with him is he has been in Southern Calif. all his life--he may not adapt well to the Northeast.

I would try to sign Brendan Ryan to play SS ( 3 years @$5.5 per plus incentives) and either move Xander to 3 B or LF. If you could find a team to take Gomes I would make that move.

I would try to sign AJ to platoon with Ross---2 years @ $8M Per. Both vets--good game callers, good defenders.

So up the middle you are strong defensively whether it's Vic or JBJ in CF.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

JBJ > CF

Bogey > SS/3B

Middy > 3B/1B

Lava/Butler/Vazquez > C

Holt > Utility IF'er

The issue with brining up young guys is that you don't want to bring up more than about one SP, one position, and one RP.  I'm fine with JBJ.  Even if he struggles with the bat, you put him in the 9-slot.  Get a walk, a slap hit, a sac, and in close and late, PH where necessary.  I said the same thing about Iggy, and Pedey before him, and will say the same thing about Vazquez next year.  It becomes a lot more difficult if you have two rookies struggling.

Same with an SP.  You can skip a #5, go to the BP more often with Lester going the following game, suffer the occasional meltdown.  Much tougher to do that twice in a row.

To Zak's credit, that is exactly what he said about Hughes, Joba, and Kenndey when they first came up.  He was happy to see them, but not all at the same time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And just for Bill,

'What's a Youte?'

One of my favorite movies.

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, I do not like the idea of having two left handed hitters batting #3 or #4 to #4 to #5 in the line up.   Cant have Morales and Papi in the middle spots of the line up.  Boston had A-Gonz, and Papi, and the team didnt have never made into the playoff during these years.

I think Ben C rather to have a good right hitting batter batting behind Papi.  Whether it is Napoli or someone else.  So far, there are not much good right handed hitter available via this year free agency.  That is why I think that Ben C. will have a choice on whether to resign Napoli or make a trade for a good right handed power hitter.  Ben C. have alot of trade baits to use to get a good right handed batter!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You all make good points on vets vs youth. However some mistake not knowing teams for saying they  have youth. Many teams mentioned have at least half the team with 5+ years which is a relatively long career in MLB.

The question should be what is the value of a youth vs vet? On field and off field.

There is no way the value of Iggy over Drew was better in any way shape or form this year.

Even the value of XB was better than using Middy.

If they put Middy at first will the value be better than Napoli?

We foundd out this year that certain acquisitions bring much more than HRs and ave to a team. The same goes for some youths. It was obvious that XB was mature beyond his 21 years.

So will JBjr or any one of the other youths bring the same maturity when they come to ST. This is something we do not know but the FO and BC know and is probably a reason behind trading or keeping some youths. Has JBjr, Britton, Workman, etc... learned from this year??????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

You all make good points on vets vs youth. However some mistake not knowing teams for saying they  have youth. Many teams mentioned have at least half the team with 5+ years which is a relatively long career in MLB.

The question should be what is the value of a youth vs vet? On field and off field.

There is no way the value of Iggy over Drew was better in any way shape or form this year.

Even the value of XB was better than using Middy.

If they put Middy at first will the value be better than Napoli?

We foundd out this year that certain acquisitions bring much more than HRs and ave to a team. The same goes for some youths. It was obvious that XB was mature beyond his 21 years.

So will JBjr or any one of the other youths bring the same maturity when they come to ST. This is something we do not know but the FO and BC know and is probably a reason behind trading or keeping some youths. Has JBjr, Britton, Workman, etc... learned from this year??????

Good post Jim!  I agree.  So much of these 'issues' will be solved in ST.  As we learned this year though...EVERYBODY was ready to annoint JBJ the next Fred Lynn after Spring Training....then we learned quick that the kid can't hit and curve or inside pitch and looked WAY over his head. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, I do not like the idea of having two left handed hitters batting #3 or #4 to #4 to #5 in the line up.   Cant have Morales and Papi in the middle spots of the line up.  Boston had A-Gonz, and Papi, and the team didnt have never made into the playoff during these years.

I think Ben C rather to have a good right hitting batter batting behind Papi.  Whether it is Napoli or someone else.  So far, there are not much good right handed hitter available via this year free agency.  That is why I think that Ben C. will have a choice on whether to resign Napoli or make a trade for a good right handed power hitter.  Ben C. have alot of trade baits to use to get a good right handed batter!!

UConn FYI---Morales is a switch hitter.

Sections
Shortcuts