Looking ahead, what role should Daniel Bard have?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Looking ahead, what role should Daniel Bard have?

In a recent interview, Bard was asked about his future role with the team. He shrugged off the question, but conceded he would be open to starting or closing (though he acknowledged his role now is a middle relief pitcher). Once in the past, he also made comments about wanting to try starting in the future. Can you blame the kid? He was a starter in college and thats where the money is. The obvious answer is to say let Papelbon walk and have him step in as the closer. But thinking outside the box, what about allowing Bard to stretch himself out as a starter in the spring. If he adjusts to the new role and is able to maintain a solid velocity throughout the game, the RS could possibly add a young dominant cost-controlled starting pitcher to the rotation. If he doesn't perform up to expectations he can be placed back into a relief pitcher role. The Sox tried something similar with Papelbon too as we recall. The sox tried him as a starting pitcher and then said his heart was as a closer and he returned. Rather than unwisely give up prospects for Ubaldo or Wandy (Felix is another story altogether...) the Red Sox FO could give this a try.

2012 Starting Rotation
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Lackey
    Bard  ?

What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Re: Looking ahead, what role should Daniel Bard have?

Bard would need to develop one more pitch to be an effective starter in the Majors. That being said, with one more pitch, he could become a very solid starter for the Sox in the future.

To make up for his loss, Sox should do a few things...
     Move Weiland and Doubront to the bullpen...sign Heath Bell, get rid of Papelbon. Pick up the opton on Wheeler. Hope that Morales continues to pitch well. Anything Jenks does next year will be an added bonus.

Would like to see the front office give this a try.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Interesting points.  I suppose it means signing Papelbon to stay the closer (or offering similar money for some other reliable closer) and having Bard be a big arm in the rotation at well below market price.  Not a bad roster move, IMO.

I think the biggest reason Papelbon didn't stick as a starter was concern for his shoulder.  Bard's almost effortless delivery seems much more likely to produce a solid starter, and his improved control and command (leading to fewer walks and fewer HRs allowed) this year bode well for him being successful as a starter, as well.  But the lesson of Joba Chamberlain gives me pause...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Hope that Morales continues to pitch well.

What, like tonight?  I personally think Morales is a chump in champ's clothing.  Let's see where he is at the end of the season before counting on him for next season.  I think he will not be worth having around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

His current repertoire consists of 4-Seam, Slider, Change? Start working on 2 off the following: 2 Seam, Splitter, Cutter (Popular choice for Sox pitchers), Sinker or Curve. 

Interesting thought about adding Bell to replace Pap. Risky, given that we don't know if he can start. If he/the RS FO decide he's better as a reliever and you commit years and dollars to Bell, that relegates Bard to set-up man. I feel like next season going forward, Bard as a middle reliever just seems like we're underutilizing his talents. But with those concerns aside, I do wonder about what Bell could command on the open market. Less than Papelbon, but probably not by much.

I also want to see the Sox give him a try. It just seems like a very low risk, high reward opportunity. If he can start great, if he can't, then you've got yourself a dominant reliever for the next 4 years minimum as long as he's healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

The Joba situation is a warning to heed. Obviously, Bard won't be throwing 99 every fastball, but perhaps 94-97 would be more easily maintained. As you said, he has an effortless delivery. Even though it is not natural for the human body to throw a baseball, his delivery would make you believe otherwise. The Sox shoulder program is also heralded (Dice-K aside) and I feel more confident in his chances to succeed as a starter over Joba/Papelbon's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Question is, how the FO sees the risk, versus the reward of making such a move?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Bard has the potential and the talent to be a top of the rotation starter, but I also agree that he would need to develop a more effective 3rd pitch.

At this point in his career, why mess with a good thing.  He is developing into his role as a set up man, and the one of the best in the league at that, with top of the league closer potential.

As talented as he is, being a starter takes different toll on your body in terms of pitches thrown and recovery between starts.  i think he very well could make that transition but it could take a few seasons and we have seen that mess a pitcher up.  

We got Beckett/Lester/Buccholz anchoring the rotation with Lackey at the end.  Miller could end up becoming a very viable end of the rotation starter.  Also the minor league system is holding a nice mix between back of the rotation starters and front of the line potential between Doubront/Wieland/Ranaudo/Wilson.  With Wakefield and Aceves providing depth and insurance until those guys are ready.

So why mess with a good thing?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Looking ahead, what role should Daniel Bard have?:
    I think Bard has the potential and the talent to be a top of the rotation starter, but I also agree that he would need to develop a more effective 3rd pitch. At this point in his career, why mess with a good thing.  He is developing into his role as a set up man, and the one of the best in the league at that, with top of the league closer potential. As talented as he is, being a starter takes different toll on your body in terms of pitches thrown and recovery between starts.  i think he very well could make that transition but it could take a few seasons and we have seen that mess a pitcher up.   We got Beckett/Lester/Buccholz anchoring the rotation with Lackey at the end.  Miller could end up becoming a very viable end of the rotation starter.  Also the minor league system is holding a nice mix between back of the rotation starters and front of the line potential between Doubront/Wieland/Ranaudo/Wilson.  With Wakefield and Aceves providing depth and insurance until those guys are ready. So why mess with a good thing?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Exactly, ctphonehome.  The Sox will just let this season play out and see where they stand afterwards.  If the one/two knockout combo of Bard/Paps continues to work through the season and into the postseason, then Bard is leverage while Paps tests the market.  If the Sox sign Paps and they still have Aceves/Albers/Wheeler and maybe even Jenks (or some combination with at least two strong setup men) on board and productive, then and only then, they might consider experimenting with Bard as a starter. 

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Paps opts for the big pay day elsewehere and Bard ends up as closer. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you aren't a betting man, I'll change that. And your take on Bard is a good place to begin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Bard throws a 2 seamer, you just don't catch it as its also the same speed as his 4 seamer. Wonder why he gets all those groundballs?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I don't see any reason to mess with the present situation. I would like to have Papelbon return (match whatever he is offered elsewhere, as long as it is reasonable). Bard has four years of arbitration ahead of him before his price shoots through the roof.

As a starter, Bard really only has one plus pitch (albeit a great one). I think he would need to further refine his changeup, and perhaps introduce one more pitch. If he throws a two-seam, I can't tell the difference between that and the four-seam.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bard was a starter and got lit up big time when he was first drafted out of NC. Couldnt keep his velocity, didnt have3 quality pitches, and hitters hit him hard. Once converted into a closer type role, he excelled..Could he do it now with a couple more years of maturing as a pitcher under his belt? Sure, I would think so. But why fix whats not broken? Bard is a set-up guy now, and will/should be a closer in the future IMHO..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Actually I think he failed as a starter in the minors because he couldn't throw strikes more than that he got hit hard

Sections
Shortcuts