Looking Back at the Dan Duquette Era; What did you think of him as a GM?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

Re: Looking Back at the Dan Duquette Era; What did you think of him as a GM?

FANTASTIC MAN WHO WAS UNABLE TO BRING A CHAMPIONSHIP TO THE RED SOX

MY KIND OF MAN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

for this post, i'm definitely waiting for the movie version.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

LAST OF THE "OLD SCHOOL"  G M's........  BY THE END OF HIS TIME, THE GAME HAD PASSED HIM BY.  ALSO, BROUGHT US THE "DESPICABLE-MAN-CHILD-FRAUD-QUITTER-JUICER-MANNY-WOOD"  BOSTON IS MUCH BETTER OFF WITH THEO AND THE "NEW WORLD" BASEBALL.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Duquette ran the Expos very well, which is strange because he was an incredible drafter for them but a terrible one for the Red Sox. However, with the Red Sox, I found him to be, overall, only ok. For me, what stands out the most is how unprofessional he was at times. Other than Kenny Williams, how many GMs in recent memory can you think of who have had as public, and sometimes childish, disputes as Duquette?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. I expected better drafts and a better farm, but he did bring us several young kids that Theo dealt for key pieces:
    Pedro (Pavano)
    Schilling (Fossum)
    Beckett (HanRam & Sanchez)
    Lowell "    "
    Cabrera (Nomah)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I've said it many times but it's about the entire organization, not just the GM.  GM's usually have little to do with the draftThat's where the farm director shines.  You also have to consider the job that your scouts are doing.  Finally, ownership plays a huge part.  Some teams don't spend on the draft while others like the Sox pour big resources into it.   Some owners let the GM make the decisions while some owners meddle.  A good example is Brian Cashman this offseason.  He wanted nothing to do with Soriano yet ownership overruled him.  Does this make him a bad GM if the move fails?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

plus you have to factor in the draft picks that got away and were never signed. Teixera and Burrell just to name a few.  The new ownership does put forth more $ to sign prospects than past ownership. Sometimes players won't sign no matter what (Pedro Alvarez).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Duquette flamed out at the end, but his legacy was putting in place some of the key pieces that brought us to the promised land.  So I would buy him a drink.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Duquette worked with fewer resources than the Trio have provided Epstein.

But he had a pretty good feel for the big splash deal or at least was lucky. Letting Mo Vaughn walk and eventually turning the marque slugger commitment into Manny Ramirez was brilliant. Same with letting Roger walk and eventually turning that into Pedro. Both cases required something that seems to be harder to do in Boston now and that is wait out the situation and play diminished for a period until the market aligns right.

Duke certainly had international prospect development tagged right, he just did not have the resources to make biig enough a splash in the DR to become the team of choise for young Dominicans.

As some have noted he got along poorly with his managers, players, the media and by many reports was despised by fellow GMs. He was a pretty good GM so the fact he could never get another job clearly can be credit to those things as much as anything else. And was why the second order of business when the Trio took ownership was to fire him, even though they only had Mike Port as an interim GM lined up.

But we should never forget that much of the core of the 2004 WS team was Dukes from Tek, Lowe, Wake, Nomar, Pedey, Manny and Damon.

Just my takes

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he was a POOR communicator but drafted and traded slightly better than average, some good moves and some bad

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Duquette flamed out at the end, but his legacy was putting in place some of the key pieces that brought us to the promised land.  So I would buy him a drink.

I actually thought the 2002 team was one of his best, especially when you consider the top guys in the farm that set up the later trades for Theo.  Some of the earlier teams were much worse than at the end.  Even if Dan did not go on to make the same trases Theo made, we would have had Han Ram at SS, Sanchez & Pavano and more...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Looking Back at the Dan Duquette Era; What did you think of him as a GM?:
    [QUOTE]Duquette flamed out at the end, but his legacy was putting in place some of the key pieces that brought us to the promised land.  So I would buy him a drink. I actually thought the 2002 team was one of his best, especially when you consider the top guys in the farm that set up the later trades for Theo.  Some of the earlier teams were much worse than at the end.  Even if Dan did not go on to make the same trases Theo made, we would have had Han Ram at SS, Sanchez & Pavano and more...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yes, and when I say he flamed out I mean that more about his personality.  He appears to have developed some real psychological problems and I think that's why he didn't get a job elsewhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, he was losing it that way for sure.

I think when Dan came here, I oversimplified what could/would happen. My hopes were that he would do for us what he did in Montreal, except we'd keep our stars. That didn't really happen, although he left a super nice foundation for Port and Theo to build on.