Looks like Kemp is our if

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Looks like Kemp is our if

Over the last 3 seasons Rajai Davis has a .363 OBP vs LHP (about the same as Ellsbury vs RHP).  Even last year Bradly hit  RHP much better.  At a minimum they will be just fine as a platoon.  Quite possibly when Bradley gets on his feet he will be a very good full-time MLB CF.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxriteofspring's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Victorino now hitting RH almost as well against LP or RP, and with Bradley, and with Nava, the Red Sox don't need to waste a roster spot on a Lefty OF/1B. Davis is the way to go. 

Davis gives the Red Sox a real weapon starting v. LP where has a better OPS than Ellsbury, and coming off the bench as a pinch hitter and pinch runner. With Davis and Bradley, the Red Sox actually improve over Ellsbury. Bradley would start in CF against nearly all RP (about 120 to 130 starts) but could be brought along more slowly like Ellsbury was in 2008. Davis would get the starts vs. most LP starters, with Davis also taking the rest days for Victorino in RF.

Davis would be starting about 100 games or more, depending upon how slow they want to bring Bradley alone. Davis becomes an oustanding late innings defensive LF OF substitute for Gomes or Nava.

This OF would be as good or better defensively than 2013 OF.

Hart slugs career better than Nava v. RP, and slugs at .478 career v. RP and is almost as good as Nava's career year in 2013 slugging .484, so Hart simply needs a rest days backup which should be Nava. For the few games that Nava plays backup 1st aginast RP starters (Ortiz takes NL games of course).

So far, so good, with the smart AJ one year deal signing to bridge to the farm and team up with Ross.

The Red Sox are getting wiser with those words of Henry, and if they sign Rajai Davis and Hart and take the 3 draft picks then they get an A+ for this off season. Getting deeper on the young talent and finding great value and complimentary fits on the short term veteran FA market.

Having done the obvious and taken the pick on Ellsbury, and they should absolutely follow that up with the same inaction on Drew and Napoli, the Red Sox will have no prima donna contracts for overrated veteran players and will get younger and better and provide more value and better teams under the leadership of Pedroia through the next years to come.

The Red Sox have Brentz and should resign Kalish on the non-tender rebound for the 2014 OF depth.

Unless they can get a highly rated A prospect for Peavy's last year (slim and none chance), they should simply keep Peavy for pitching staff depth. Ditto on Dempster who has almost no stand-alone trade value. Better to keep the depth into dog days and then deal from a position of trade market strength in the chance that the young pitching talent has stepped up and the lack of injuries and good market offers are such that Peavy's last half contract payments are expendable. This provdies the best value and flexibility. It's likely that either Peavy or Dempster pitch well enough for a few months that other playoff contending teams with injuries and non-performance pitching staff holes will make Peavy or Dempster trade values go up substantially from the low point it is in now over the winter and spring. 

The Red Sox need to take care of business and sign Davis and Hart and define the roles early and begin the process of letting the rest of MLB and the Yankees know that simply handing out prima donna FA contracts to veterans isn't going to stamp in AL East ticket. While the Yankees injury front to Tex was the final blow to the 2013 Yankees, and, thus they will obviously be a lot better, one need look no farther than the Angels and the left coast to see the foolishness of the old CBA way of doing business.

It's almost laughable to think that the low key winter moves of signing AJ, Davis and Hart will make the Red Sox a media perceived underdog for 2014. While injury front luck or misfortune is the most important factor in season performance, it most certainly isn't a major factor on sustained team value and performance over the long term. It appears the owner of the Red Sox is making the adjustment which defines performance more than one season in 6 years.   

[/QUOTE]

Davis has a lifetime .698 OPS, NO POP, fragile, & getting worse every year!

& this would improve the sox over Ells huh????

Brilliant!   Trying to hit .999 again in 2014 are we Stiffy?  ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

With Victorino now hitting RH almost as well against LP or RP, and with Bradley, and with Nava, the Red Sox don't need to waste a roster spot on a Lefty OF/1B. Davis is the way to go. 

Davis gives the Red Sox a real weapon starting v. LP where has a better OPS than Ellsbury, and coming off the bench as a pinch hitter and pinch runner. With Davis and Bradley, the Red Sox actually improve over Ellsbury. Bradley would start in CF against nearly all RP (about 120 to 130 starts) but could be brought along more slowly like Ellsbury was in 2008. Davis would get the starts vs. most LP starters, with Davis also taking the rest days for Victorino in RF.

Davis would be starting about 100 games or more, depending upon how slow they want to bring Bradley alone. Davis becomes an oustanding late innings defensive LF OF substitute for Gomes or Nava.

This OF would be as good or better defensively than 2013 OF.

Hart slugs career better than Nava v. RP, and slugs at .478 career v. RP and is almost as good as Nava's career year in 2013 slugging .484, so Hart simply needs a rest days backup which should be Nava. For the few games that Nava plays backup 1st aginast RP starters (Ortiz takes NL games of course).

So far, so good, with the smart AJ one year deal signing to bridge to the farm and team up with Ross.

The Red Sox are getting wiser with those words of Henry, and if they sign Rajai Davis and Hart and take the 3 draft picks then they get an A+ for this off season. Getting deeper on the young talent and finding great value and complimentary fits on the short term veteran FA market.

Having done the obvious and taken the pick on Ellsbury, and they should absolutely follow that up with the same inaction on Drew and Napoli, the Red Sox will have no prima donna contracts for overrated veteran players and will get younger and better and provide more value and better teams under the leadership of Pedroia through the next years to come.

The Red Sox have Brentz and should resign Kalish on the non-tender rebound for the 2014 OF depth.

Unless they can get a highly rated A prospect for Peavy's last year (slim and none chance), they should simply keep Peavy for pitching staff depth. Ditto on Dempster who has almost no stand-alone trade value. Better to keep the depth into dog days and then deal from a position of trade market strength in the chance that the young pitching talent has stepped up and the lack of injuries and good market offers are such that Peavy's last half contract payments are expendable. This provdies the best value and flexibility. It's likely that either Peavy or Dempster pitch well enough for a few months that other playoff contending teams with injuries and non-performance pitching staff holes will make Peavy or Dempster trade values go up substantially from the low point it is in now over the winter and spring. 

The Red Sox need to take care of business and sign Davis and Hart and define the roles early and begin the process of letting the rest of MLB and the Yankees know that simply handing out prima donna FA contracts to veterans isn't going to stamp in AL East ticket. While the Yankees injury front to Tex was the final blow to the 2013 Yankees, and, thus they will obviously be a lot better, one need look no farther than the Angels and the left coast to see the foolishness of the old CBA way of doing business.

It's almost laughable to think that the low key winter moves of signing AJ, Davis and Hart will make the Red Sox a media perceived underdog for 2014. While injury front luck or misfortune is the most important factor in season performance, it most certainly isn't a major factor on sustained team value and performance over the long term. It appears the owner of the Red Sox is making the adjustment which defines performance more than one season in 6 years.   

[/QUOTE]

Ok, Davis would be a more productive compliment to Nava so if you really want him the Sox should just dump Gomes so we don't have another platoon guy cluttering up the cluhouse.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ok, Davis would be a more productive compliment to Nava so if you really want him the Sox should just dump Gomes so we don't have another platoon guy cluttering up the cluhouse.

Gomes  is a better LF platoon with Nava than Davis, but Davis can play CF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

Davis has a lifetime .698 OPS, NO POP, fragile, & getting worse every year!

(Davis has a way higher OPS v. LP than Ellbury. If Davis is fragile than Ellsbury is on his death bed and will die soon)

(Davis and Bradley > Ellsbury and 153 million)

I'm still waiting for your source and Ellsbury to sign with the Red Sox. Hard to get more stupid than "my source says Ellsbury will sign with the Red Sox". 

[/QUOTE]

still waiting for your "source" on Detroit winning the ALCS.......

LOL. You are getting slow Stffy!  My whole "source" thing in that thread was mocking you!  LOL

& your head is still spinning trying to keep up.

The rich IRONY?  Now you're calling me on siting an obviously phony "source," which was originally designed to mock your phony source in the ALCS!   LOL

You seriously couldn't get one right if you had a time machine subscription to the Boston Globe!

you've really lost it!  Not that you ever had it, but at least you used to make a couple of correct calls per season????    :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Davis has a lifetime .698 OPS, NO POP, fragile, & getting worse every year!

(Davis has a way higher OPS v. LP than Ellbury. If Davis is fragile than Ellsbury is on his death bed and will die soon)

(Davis and Bradley > Ellsbury and 153 million)

I'm still waiting for your source and Ellsbury to sign with the Red Sox. Hard to get more stupid than "my source says Ellsbury will sign with the Red Sox". 

[/QUOTE]

still waiting for your "source" on Detroit winning the ALCS.......

LOL. You are getting slow Stffy!  My whole "source" thing in that thread was mocking you!  LOL

& your head is still spinning trying to keep up.

The rich IRONY?  Now you're calling me on siting an obviously phony "source," which was originally designed to mock your phony source in the ALCS!   LOL

You seriously couldn't get one right if you had a time machine subscription to the Boston Globe!

you've really lost it!  Not that you ever had it, but at least you used to make a couple of correct calls per season????    :)

[/QUOTE]

Mockery, sarcasm and overall reading comprehension were never the clown's strong suits.

Come to think of it, nothing is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

No desire for Davis at all.  They need a stud in the OF, and Davis is not it in any definition.  Rather roll the dice with JRJ.  Choo, Beltran, or Kemp on the other hand...hell yes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

They need starting OF(s) that can replace Ellsbury's production.  That could include Bradley and a vet platoon partner.  Kemp would not be a very good option. 

I think a lot of who pays CF hinges on who plays 1B.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Davis is the PERFECT fit.  

why go out and spend 20 million and lose a draft pick on all players intering their 30's when you have a top prospect at that position?

Davis replaces Ellsburys speed.

Davis has a career .779 OPS vs LHP while Ellsbury has a .641 career OPS vs. lefties.  You could make the argument that VS. LHP a platoon of JBJ/Davis actually makes our offense better against lefties.

Davis would cost effectively nothing compared to Kemp/Choo or Beltran.  And can platoon in CF, provide depth at other positions and be used as a base stealer off the bench. 

It's not that ONE big move that wins championships....it's the sum of EVERY move you make.  And this is one of those small perfect moves that add value that fans never see until the results are there.

Remmember last year?  in BEN C we trust!!!!

EDIT: and fwiw JBJ had a OPS of .722 vs. righties last year.  Which isn't eye popping, but it's nowhere near as bad as his .327 mark vs. lefties.  He also notably made strides at the plate during the year, and there is every reason to expect that he will be better prepared and further up the learning curve next year. Guys that young are usually getting better all the time...it's not he is a 10 year veteran who has very little capacity to get better. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Davis is the PERFECT fit.  

why go out and spend 20 million and lose a draft pick on all players intering their 30's when you have a top prospect at that position?

Davis replaces Ellsburys speed.

Davis has a career .779 OPS vs LHP while Ellsbury has a .641 career OPS vs. lefties.  You could make the argument that VS. LHP a platoon of JBJ/Davis actually makes our offense better against lefties.

Davis would cost effectively nothing compared to Kemp/Choo or Beltran.  And can platoon in CF, provide depth at other positions and be used as a base stealer off the bench. 

It's not that ONE big move that wins championships....it's the sum of EVERY move you make.  And this is one of those small perfect moves that add value that fans never see until the results are there.

Remmember last year?  in BEN C we trust!!!!

EDIT: and fwiw JBJ had a OPS of .722 vs. righties last year.  Which isn't eye popping, but it's nowhere near as bad as his .327 mark vs. lefties.  He also notably made strides at the plate during the year, and there is every reason to expect that he will be better prepared and further up the learning curve next year. Guys that young are usually getting better all the time...it's not he is a 10 year veteran who has very little capacity to get better. 

[/QUOTE]

+1,000..............good post.........if it doesn't work out...may the FA next year will produce a better option or even mid year this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Lots of talk about Boston in here with Kemp... Stewart really fluffing up the Sox in this piece.  Speculate all you want, but this is in black and white.  I have to say that I'm warming up to Kemp more than the thought of Choo... but I would have to see what the whole package would be.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33689/matt-kemps-agent-thinks-trade-could-come

Stewart said he has taken the speculation regarding the Red Sox seriously enough to talk to Kemp about Boston, and what it would be like to play there.

"Boston is a good place," said Stewart, a message 180 degrees removed from what Kemp's teammate, Crawford, said repeatedly after being traded by the Sox in 2012. "It's a good city to play in, especially when they're winning championships.

"I'm 56 years old, and people are still buying me dinner there, and I played for the other team. I told Matt about the city. The key to playing in the city is to perform. Compete, play good-quality baseball, don't dog it. If you don't perform, nobody's going to like it."

Stewart said he believes Kemp would have no reservations about playing for the Red Sox. "And the opportunity to play with Big Papi, he'd love to play with him, learn from him."

That decision is not in Kemp's hands, of course.

"Our destiny is controlled by the Dodgers," Stewart said. "You never know what's going to happen. But one thing we know about Boston is they're going to do whatever it needs to do to maintain the excellence it has had for years. We'll see what happens."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I felt the Sox should resign Ellsbury. The Yanks offer for Ellsbury was absurd. At this point I go with JBJ. He can either play or not play. He isn't 19. It's time to find out. 
    If the Dodgers would take a bunch of second or fourth level talent for Kemp I'd be fine with that, but there are a whole lot of farm guys I'd place off-limits. 
    At this point the Yankees are a weaker team than they were last year. The Yanks letting Cano walk is the Red Sox letting Ellsbury walk to the power or two. 

It's like the Yankees have lost all reason and are opperating on pure emotion. 

If you are just going to buy a title you sign the players they have signed. BUT you do not let Cano walk. 

It's Brooklyn Nets all over again. So nice to see the Yanks all done before the season even starts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The ball may now be strictly in the Red Sox hands and I'm sure it's a difficult decision.  Who do we send there in return if we really want Kemp?  I kinda like the Kemp idea if it happens because he could always be our DH towards the tail end of the contract. 

http://fansided.com/2013/12/04/mlb-trade-rumors-matt-kemp-play-boston-red-sox-los-angeles-dodgers-willing-eat-salary/

Big OF bat, Nap or Hart at 1B and probably Drew again at SS should keep us top contenders.  Why Drew?  Because he may be the best available guy and Bogy isn't ready yet, if he does in fact take over there at some point.

[/QUOTE]

lol, we should send them de la rosa and webster as irony!

Sections
Shortcuts