Looks LiKe We Are Currently in 7th Position in the draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Looks LiKe We Are Currently in 7th Position in the draft

comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Looks LiKe We Are Currently in 7th Position in the draft

Dont think we can catch the Indians or Twins...Cubs, Houston, Rockies too...Marlins, maybe...Were tied with The jays right now...I think the best we could do is 6th...Ill take that though...Protected pick and should get a top pitching prospect if they so choose...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Zac,

I do believe they should go all out and i think they are. The team just isnt that good now with all the injuries to some of the better hitters (Ells, Papi, Middlebrooks)  and some of the younger players filling in just arent as good as they are...It is what it is. So I take solice in looking forward at the one bright spot this season, which is a top 10 protected pick. Afterall, they could be throwing Zach stewert out there again but they arent doing that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Zac,

I do believe they should go all out and i think they are. The team just isnt that good now with all the injuries to some of the better hitters (Ells, Papi, Middlebrooks)  and some of the younger players filling in just arent as good as they are...It is what it is. So I take solice in looking forward at the one bright spot this season, which is a top 10 protected pick. Afterall, they could be throwing Zach stewert out there again but they arent doing that.

I definitely agree with you.  The Red Sox just won't be able to win many more games.  It isn't that they aren't trying to win, they just aren't that talented and the injuries definitely contributed to their struggles.  It would be great to win most of their remaining games, but it is highly unlikely that this will happen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't see us getting to 6th. We are 3 ahead of Miami.

Looks like a 7th and 8th battle with Toronto.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Having the 7 or 8 pick is nice for the second and following rounds too.

We may also get a comp pick if we offer Papi $12.5M and he walks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I doubt Papi walks if hes offered that Moon...I also think they will either give him 2yrs or an option, either vesting or team/player...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

and we have a shot at miami with 4 games left 2 games ahead.

most likely we finsih this way as long as toronto wins a few games

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I doubt Papi walks if hes offered that Moon...I also think they will either give him 2yrs or an option, either vesting or team/player..

You are probably right, but Papi seemed pretty upset about last year's nearly $15M offer. I think if he believes he can get more elsewhere, he may walk.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pretty amazing that we are just 3 losses away from the worst AL record.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive been looking at possible draft prospects for the Sox. Do you think they will go for another college pitcher or the best position player available? We need another 1b with some power in the system. Shaw is about it. Dont say Gomez either. Career AAAA guys dont count...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

$12.5 is more than reasonable--if he walks so be it. If he takes it and they give him a second year guaranteed at $10--that would be a nice Thanks for being a loyal guy to the org.

$12.5 with a question mark because of the achilles---is more than understandable on the part of the team. If he goes to Arb he may get $15 for one season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Ive been looking at possible draft prospects for the Sox. Do you think they will go for another college pitcher or the best position player available? We need another 1b with some power in the system. Shaw is about it. Dont say Gomez either. Career AAAA guys dont count...

It all depends south. A lot of variables will come into play. For example, last yr the astr,o wanted to take Appel 1st, but Boras wanted the full slot. (7.2m) they opted to take the kid Correa and gave him 4m, with the savings they were able to snag McCullers who slipped to 41st pk and pay him 2.5m. (well over that slot) . So let's say the same thing happens this yr. Boras wants full slot 1st pick for Appel. And the sox get a supp pick for Papi. They could work out a deal with Boras before the draft and promise him the 7.2m by packaging the bonus money for pk 7, as well as their supp pk, and 2nd rnd pk to get him. Then with those later pk,s they will just draft under slot guys ( players with high upside that were maybe projected to go a little later) . People think Appel is out of reach, but he,s not. As of right now( and a lot will change between now and June) it looks like a VERY deep draft for coll arms. There,s a lefty out of Indiana st who has shot up the boards to number 1 , after him you ve got Stankel from Ark 2, Appel is 4, and Stewart from Fl is 6. There will be 3 or 4 kid high upside hs athletes ( like Correa and Buxton) who will go early and sign for under slot. Personally, if we get a chance to grab one of those coll arms it,s a no brainier. There is no coll bat like Zunnino out thewho that I see anyway. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I doubt Papi walks if hes offered that Moon...I also think they will either give him 2yrs or an option, either vesting or team/player..

You are probably right, but Papi seemed pretty upset about last year's nearly $15M offer. I think if he believes he can get more elsewhere, he may walk.

My understanding is that Ortiz wasn't upset so much about the amount of money,he wanted the security of a multi-year contract.

I think they can offer him 2/25M plus incentives,he'll take it and then the Sox can move on to other signings/deals.That would also be 2M more off the payroll annually from the 14.5M they're paying him now.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

My understanding is that Ortiz wasn't upset so much about the amount of money,he wanted the security of a multi-year contract.

I think they can offer him 2/25M plus incentives,he'll take it and then the Sox can move on to other signings/deals.That would also be 2M more off the payroll annually from the 14.5M they're paying him now.  

IMO my opinion (and I think the rs are justified) they will not give Papi a 2 yr deal. If they didn't,t do it last yr, why would they do it this yr when he is a yr older, and coming off a serious injury. Nope...not happening, sorry

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

another example of how society has changed

10/20 yrs ago most of us would be thinking

that the sox owe it to the remaining teams to go all out to win

now a days it's mostly those teams shouldn't be in the position of needing other teams help

ok leave todays society out of it ;-)

Is that really true?  When the Celtics were bad in the late 70s and late 90s I vividly remember hoping they'd lose every game (once the season was lost) to get the best possible draft pick....and I think I was part of a huge majority.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

makonikyman,I'd rather not debate Ortiz's contract on this thread.I think it should be brought back to it's original topic.I shouldn't have responded to Moonslav's comment,there's another thread for that.Let's just say,we disagree for now about the length of a contract for Ortiz.

As far as the draft goes,here's a link to a mock draft for 2013.It was made at the end of August so the order isn't correct,but he's provided a pretty good synopsis about some of the top players in the draft.

http://www.prospectnation.com/blog/?p=3547

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Given their draft history, I'm pretty happy. They should turn this into a solid prospect. Hopefully pitching, beyond that, it would be nice to get a legit power hitter in the system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Pretty amazing that we are just 3 losses away from the worst AL record.

Wow, *shaking my head* 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

It all depends south. A lot of variables will come into play. For example, last yr the astr,o wanted to take Appel 1st, but Boras wanted the full slot. (7.2m) they opted to take the kid Correa and gave him 4m, with the savings they were able to snag McCullers who slipped to 41st pk and pay him 2.5m. (well over that slot) . So let's say the same thing happens this yr. Boras wants full slot 1st pick for Appel. And the sox get a supp pick for Papi. They could work out a deal with Boras before the draft and promise him the 7.2m by packaging the bonus money for pk 7, as well as their supp pk, and 2nd rnd pk to get him. Then with those later pk,s they will just draft under slot guys ( players with high upside that were maybe projected to go a little later) . People think Appel is out of reach, but he,s not. As of right now( and a lot will change between now and June) it looks like a VERY deep draft for coll arms. There,s a lefty out of Indiana st who has shot up the boards to number 1 , after him you ve got Stankel from Ark 2, Appel is 4, and Stewart from Fl is 6. There will be 3 or 4 kid high upside hs athletes ( like Correa and Buxton) who will go early and sign for under slot. Personally, if we get a chance to grab one of those coll arms it,s a no brainier. There is no coll bat like Zunnino out thewho that I see anyway. 

Just reading on some of the probable players to be drafted next year. I saw a lot of pitchers like you said, but I took notice in a kid named Kris Bryant. Hes listed as a 3b, but as I read more articles about him realized that 1b was a very realistic option as well. Hes got lots of power, solid defense and shows some patience at the plate. Like all young players he will have to work on getting used to seeing more offspeed stuff in professional ball, But at 6'5 215 and power from the right side he could be our man.

Id honestly like to stay away from HS pitchers in the early rounds as id like to see them build up some more advanced arms so the road to MLB isnt as long. 3 pitchers I like are Bobby Wahl out of Ole Miss.. Crawford from Florida and Trevor Williams from AZ St.

I like the obvious Appel and Stanek, but I think the other 3 are more of a possibility.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

makonikyman,I'd rather not debate Ortiz's contract on this thread.I think it should be brought back to it's original topic.I shouldn't have responded to Moonslav's comment,there's another thread for that.Let's just say,we disagree for now about the length of a contract for Ortiz.

As far as the draft goes,here's a link to a mock draft for 2013.It was made at the end of August so the order isn't correct,but he's provided a pretty good synopsis about some of the top players in the draft.

http://www.prospectnation.com/blog/?p=3547

haha...chill man, I was merely responding to someone else,s comment here about Papi, no biggie

as far as the 2013 draft goes. I follow it more than I follow major league baseball. My son is eligible. I talk and know a lot of scouts down here in Fl and just like one told me in regards to my own son " it,s all about the spring and how he performs " kids can rise and fall out of favor very quickly.  I can give you tons of examples every yr. The guy I follow closely is Alan Simpson on perfectgame.org. It's a site that is only dedicated to HS and college. They follow these kids yr round. His latest mock has Manaea ( 6' 5" lefty, 94-96 nasty slider)going 1 after dominating at the cape this summer (5-1, 1.22 era, 85k,s in 52 inn) Stanek 2, Appel 4, and Stewart 6. Your mock has Whitsen 6. He really struggled with his command this summer at the cape and is going to really have to fight to stay in the weekend rotation this yr for the gators. They are really stacked again this yr and Sully won,t throw him out there just because he was a former number 1 pick. He should have taken the 3m the padres offered, instead, he asked for 5m and now he'll be lucky to be a sandwich pick...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Moon, 

It's highly unlikely anyone is going to give Ortiz anymore than 15mil the Red Sox may offer again, so I doubt he goes anywhere unless he feels so insulted by another low, offer if one can call these staggering amounts of cash low, he stay in Boston. Papi still shows he can play first base but at his age no one will pay him big bucks to play 1B so rule out the NL and who in the AL is going to pay Papi big bucks besides the RS for a one dimensional player. 

He'll be here this year !!

Hetch

Sections
Shortcuts