Looks loike I just might get my wish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks loike I just might get my wish

Looks like Salty will be the starter with David Ross the BU, but getting more starts than a true BU. That tells me it might be more of a 90-70 type split in games started.

Lavarnway is still young for as long as he has been catching and should be in AAA for one more year. Salty should get his final arb year to put it all together. Hes improved, whether any of you guys believe it or like it...IMO, He deserves, and has earned to start his final arb year. I hope this is what their final decision is. It would be the best move.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/11/cherington_on_t.html

edit: I hate the fact you cant edit the title if you accidentally spell something wrong. Hear that forum creators???

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Looks loike I just might get my wish

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sad, Salty is clumsy butcher with an uppercut swing who will cost at least 3 to 4M for his ticket to FA. They should deal the bum now, while the can still boast about his HR total for 2012.

Now that Ross has been paid nearly double what his market value is, Ross and Lavarnway should do the catching for 2013 and 2014. They should attempt to acquire VMart or Napoli to play 1st and allow flexibility on rotating the catcher position during some of the games. Offer the Tigers 2 prospects from the farm that aren't any of the top 6 prospects (farm scraps). If they turn it down, offer Napoli 2 and base 10. If the market is more than that, simply go with Ross and Lavarnway.

Salty has mental and physical issues and is a career journeyman for a reason.

[/QUOTE]

This post shows how truly clueless you are...Im done responding to you on this thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

You wish for Salty/Ross to be the catching tandem? I wish for Lavarnway/Ross. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway needs as many games played as possible to improve. He wont get that in Boston right now, and shouldnt. he needs more work. Salty has one year left and pitchers are familiar and comfortable with him. Ross is the Vet we need back there.

If Lav only get 60 games starting, that does nothing for the future and his development. AAA can provide him the workload he needs to improve. 2014 would be better once Salty leaves if lav shows lots of improvement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The problem with Lavarnway is he really has very little to prove in AAA as a hitter. In fact, he has nothing to prove atthat level, and I would expect a poor offensie season from him based on frustration and learning defense.

I think defensively, he is no worse than Saltalamacchia, and now the Sox have a backup catcher with MLB manager potential to help him along. (Normally, I oppose the logic that vets will mentor rookies, and for a variety o reasons. But none of them apply to Ross, so its cool.)

I say move either one of the younger catchers for a corner OF or a 1B. There are about ten teams seeking catcher upgrades, and only 2 worthwhile free agents at the position...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sad, Salty is clumsy butcher with an uppercut swing who will cost at least 3 to 4M for his ticket to FA. They should deal the bum now, while the can still boast about his HR total for 2012.

Now that Ross has been paid nearly double what his market value is, Ross and Lavarnway should do the catching for 2013 and 2014. They should attempt to acquire VMart or Napoli to play 1st and allow flexibility on rotating the catcher position during some of the games. Offer the Tigers 2 prospects from the farm that aren't any of the top 6 prospects (farm scraps). If they turn it down, offer Napoli 2 and base 10. If the market is more than that, simply go with Ross and Lavarnway.

[/QUOTE]

This post shows how truly clueless you are...Im done responding to you on this thread.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with Softy. No one seems to believe that the high SP ERA was related to Salty but it's clear. CERA doesn't lie.

Thanks Harness, wherever you are, for opening my eyes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with Softy. No one seems to believe that the high SP ERA was related to Salty but it's clear. CERA doesn't lie.

[/QUOTE]

Don't give Softy too much credit on the CERA thing...you have to remember how he couldn't wait to see Varitek go.  Harness, OTOH, built a great case for Varitek's CERA value. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

since last april Saltys cera went down over half a run with a pitching staff pitching poorly regardless of who was behind the plate.

Lavarnways cera was off the charts bad...although a very small sample size.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not only the best way 777

IMO it's the only way

now you have lav playing / growing everyday

and ready if / when the others get injured

a team needs 3 ML ready catchers

but only 2 on the 25

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway is NOT nearly as good as Salty blocking and framing pitches. He looks stiff and awkward behind the plate. MLB isnt the place for him to learn defense. Besides, he will only get 80 or so games, if that, and he needs to log as many innings as he can. That should be done in AAA.

Your right zac. The advantage of having 3 catchers in case of injury is important also. We can have that without taking up a valuable spot on the 25-man roster, with a quick ride up I-95 if needed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

since last april Saltys cera went down over half a run with a pitching staff pitching poorly regardless.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt Salty improved somewhat, but his final CERA mark for 2012 was 4.84, which is still pretty awful.  Shoppach's was 3.77.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

since last april Saltys cera went down over half a run with a pitching staff pitching poorly regardless.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt Salty improved somewhat, but his final CERA mark for 2012 was 4.84, which is still pretty awful.  Shoppach's was 3.77.

[/QUOTE]

I agree shops was better. My point was that Salty is improving, even if some here dont see it. His framing of pitches and blocking pitches in the dirt has vastly improved also. His final arb year should be used to a) see if he can put it all together and b) give Lavarnway the time he needs in AAA to work on his defense he needs to greatly improve upon.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Clueless is someone paying Salty to become a FA, after signing Ross to nearly double his market value, and having Lavarnway maxed out with the "needs more games in AAA" nonsense. Lavarnway needs more game in MLB, and is smarter and more athletic than Salty career journeyman.

Lavarnway should catch about 80 games and DH about 40 games. Ross is an old man and shouldn't be catching more than about 80 games. Ortiz is an old man with recent bad wheel history who should be limited to about 120 games, sitting against some recent year bad match up history against some of the starters.

Trade Salty and advertise his 20 plus HR in 2012, and spend the 3 million plus towards a platoon OF'er or a decent pen arm.

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway will cost us runs/games with his defense as it stands. He should try and log over 100 games behind the plate where learning and making mistakes is not a big deal in AAA...Hes NOT going to DH 40 games with papi in the lineup. We have the $$ for Salty and a platoon OF'er. Its best to have 3 catchers in case one goes down.

If papi or one of the catchers goes down, its a quick ride up I-95.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trade Lavarway or Salty even up for Montero. Montero is two years younger.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which is part of the reason AZ would NEVER go for that...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Wrong. Salty will cost more run/games with his butchery, as it stands. AAA will do nothing for Lavarnway. Ortiz isn't physically capable of staying off the DL or becoming totally ineffective if he DH's more than about 120 games.

If Ortiz goes down, and he will if they don't give him regular down time, the one year overpay will be more embarrassing than it's going to be.

The Red Sox already have another catcher who could be called up from the minors, giving them a short time to find the many catcher bums in a dumpster. Salty will be back in a dumpster shortly after they pawn him and his 20 plus homers for 2012. Sell Salty now at his high mark, then pick him back up from the dumpster for farm scraps that are inferior to his current trade value.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously you have no idea what your watching then if you think lavarnway is better defensivly. That and you cant automatically pencil Lav in for 40 games at DH. Thats absurd. So seeing you have no idea what your talking about, I have nothing further to discuss with you on this.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trade Pedrioa to the Cards for Molina.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway needs as many games played as possible to improve. He wont get that in Boston right now, and shouldnt. he needs more work. Salty has one year left and pitchers are familiar and comfortable with him. Ross is the Vet we need back there.

If Lav only get 60 games starting, that does nothing for the future and his development. AAA can provide him the workload he needs to improve. 2014 would be better once Salty leaves if lav shows lots of improvement.

[/QUOTE]

There is no reason Lavarnway could not be the primary starter for us next year. Its a rebuilding year anyway so why not let him get his reps in at the ML level. Salty has value on the trade market right now. I would package him and try to get a good SP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sorry i didnt see anything in iggy or lava that makes me think they can start and contribute...plus we need pitchers Ben...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Looks like Salty will be the starter with David Ross the BU, but getting more starts than a true BU. That tells me it might be more of a 90-70 type split in games started.

Lavarnway is still young for as long as he has been catching and should be in AAA for one more year. Salty should get his final arb year to put it all together. Hes improved, whether any of you guys believe it or like it...IMO, He deserves, and has earned to start his final arb year. I hope this is what their final decision is. It would be the best move.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/11/cherington_on_t.html

edit: I hate the fact you cant edit the title if you accidentally spell something wrong. Hear that forum creators???

[/QUOTE]

Ben didn't say anything about Salty sticking around southpaw.  From what I read, He said Salty "as of now" is the starter heading into ST because he has played well "maybe in his eyes" because even Tek was better early on and later in his career.  Ben also said he wasn't going to trade young prospects in order to improve the club.

So what is he really saying?

#1 We sign a FA or two in hopes of improving our club?  But wait, as of now we don't have AGon and have yet to sign Ross so he better grab a slew of FA's.

#2 Lavarnway plays in AAA which I don't see happening for very long but then again Ben says he won't trade top prospects to improve our club.

#3 Beckett gets replaced with Lackey OH BOY!

I hope Ben is just throwing out smoke and mirrors and has a real plan to improve this club because everyone in our division is now as good or better..

Sections
Shortcuts