Looks loike I just might get my wish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Looks loike I just might get my wish

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like Salty will be the starter with David Ross the BU, but getting more starts than a true BU. That tells me it might be more of a 90-70 type split in games started.

Lavarnway is still young for as long as he has been catching and should be in AAA for one more year. Salty should get his final arb year to put it all together. Hes improved, whether any of you guys believe it or like it...IMO, He deserves, and has earned to start his final arb year. I hope this is what their final decision is. It would be the best move.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/11/cherington_on_t.html

edit: I hate the fact you cant edit the title if you accidentally spell something wrong. Hear that forum creators???

[/QUOTE]

Ben didn't say anything about Salty sticking around southpaw.  From what I read, He said Salty "as of now" is the starter heading into ST because he has played well "maybe in his eyes" because even Tek was better early on and later in his career.  Ben also said he wasn't going to trade young prospects in order to improve the club.

So what is he really saying?

#1 We sign a FA or two in hopes of improving our club, but wait, as of now we don't have AGon and have yet to sign Ross so he better grab a slew of FA's.

#2 Lavarnway plays in AAA which I don't see happening for very long but then again Ben says he won't trade top prospects to improve our club.

#3 Beckett gets replaced with Lackey OH BOY!

I hope Ben is just throwing out smoke and mirrors and has a real plan to improve this club because everyone in our division is now as good or better..

[/QUOTE]

Craze4Sox,

No one in the Front Office is going to publicly discuss who they may or may not trade.  It's common sense.  It's been rumored that the Sox have actively shopped Salty for weeks now, but they aren't going to give him away, since he still has value to the club.  The catching market has yet to develop yet, so it may be a while before they do anything. 

Also, not sure what you read or heard, but Ben Cherington or anyone else who makes personnel decisions in the Front Office never said that "they aren't going to trade any prospects." They will trade prospects this winter, that's a fact.  My guess is the only one who is "untouchable" is Boegarts, and even he could be made available in the right deal.  A good G.M. will feed the press crap and keep them in the dark, which is exactly what he's done. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Looks like Salty will be the starter with David Ross the BU, but getting more starts than a true BU. That tells me it might be more of a 90-70 type split in games started.

Lavarnway is still young for as long as he has been catching and should be in AAA for one more year. Salty should get his final arb year to put it all together. Hes improved, whether any of you guys believe it or like it...IMO, He deserves, and has earned to start his final arb year. I hope this is what their final decision is. It would be the best move.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/11/cherington_on_t.html

edit: I hate the fact you cant edit the title if you accidentally spell something wrong. Hear that forum creators???

[/QUOTE]

Ben didn't say anything about Salty sticking around southpaw.  From what I read, He said Salty "as of now" is the starter heading into ST because he has played well "maybe in his eyes" because even Tek was better early on and later in his career.  Ben also said he wasn't going to trade young prospects in order to improve the club.

So what is he really saying?

#1 We sign a FA or two in hopes of improving our club, but wait, as of now we don't have AGon and have yet to sign Ross so he better grab a slew of FA's.

#2 Lavarnway plays in AAA which I don't see happening for very long but then again Ben says he won't trade top prospects to improve our club.

#3 Beckett gets replaced with Lackey OH BOY!

I hope Ben is just throwing out smoke and mirrors and has a real plan to improve this club because everyone in our division is now as good or better..

[/QUOTE]

Craze4Sox,

No one in the Front Office is going to publicly discuss who they may or may not trade.  It's common sense.  It's been rumored that the Sox have actively shopped Salty for weeks now, but they aren't going to give him away, since he still has value to the club.  The catching market has yet to develop yet, so it may be a while before they do anything. 

Also, not sure what you read or heard, but Ben Cherington or anyone else who makes personnel decisions in the Front Office never said that "they aren't going to trade any prosepects." They will trade prospects this winter, that's a fact.  My guess is the only one who is "untouchable" is Boegarts, and even he could be made available in the right deal.  A good G.M. will feed the press crap and keep them in the dark, which is exactly what he's done. 

[/QUOTE]

Like I said Jasko, hopefully just smoke and mirrors, or this team won't show much improvent next season.  Our overall team OBP and staff during our 04 and 07 WC'S makes our present team look like a college squad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just assumed you lived in Australia for a while when I read the "It looks loike"...:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You wish for Salty/Ross to be the catching tandem? I wish for Lavarnway/Ross. 

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway needs as many games played as possible to improve. He wont get that in Boston right now, and shouldnt. he needs more work. Salty has one year left and pitchers are familiar and comfortable with him. Ross is the Vet we need back there.

If Lav only get 60 games starting, that does nothing for the future and his development. AAA can provide him the workload he needs to improve. 2014 would be better once Salty leaves if lav shows lots of improvement.

[/QUOTE]

Thats why Ross is here in my opinion southpaw.  Salty may know our staff but hasn't done much of anything to improve their stats.  Ross "like a lot of bright" catchers whether short term or long term with a club will probably do better.  No way Salty stays unless he improves just about every area of his game in a significant way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just assumed you lived in Australia for a while when I read the "It looks loike"...:)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks maite ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like I should change the title of this thread.

With 5 catchers on the 40-man roster it looks like one will be leaving soon.

Obviously Salty is the odd man out. Id like him to get another year just to see if he can put it all together. he got a late start due to other teams not giving him the proper training. He got it in boston starting at age 25. We'll have to wait and see whos leaving, if anyone. I dont like his chances though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Put Lava in at starting catcher w/Ross back up and get rid of Salty please.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Put Lava in at starting catcher w/Ross back up and get rid of Salty please.

[/QUOTE]

Id rather have Butler or Vasquez right now than Lavarnway. Both are better defenders that either Salty or Lav...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It does seem like the Sox are waiting while they see what the other teams in the division are going to do.  Toronto is now much better, the Yanks are back to normal pretty much, the O's are status quo from last year and the Rays have the pitching and not the hitting as usual.  I do think it is time the Sox make a major move or two for credibility purposes if nothing else...the fans needs something to cheer about besides a BU catcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It does seem like the Sox are waiting while they see what the other teams in the division are going to do.  Toronto is now much better, the Yanks are back to normal pretty much, the O's are status quo from last year and the Rays have the pitching and not the hitting as usual.  I do think it is time the Sox make a major move or two for credibility purposes if nothing else...the fans needs something to cheer about besides a BU catcher.

[/QUOTE]

I think they're waititng for the market to settle out.

Try to sign a free agent now, and they're either going to wait for a higher offer or demand a high one to start with.

It's been said many times before; you can't force free agents to sign what you offer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they're waititng for the market to settle out.

Try to sign a free agent now, and they're either going to wait for a higher offer or demand a high one to start with.

It's been said many times before; you can't force free agents to sign what you offer.

[/QUOTE]

Agents are waiting for just that 4B, the market to take shape. Upton and Bourne will set the price for guys like Ross, Ludwick, Victorino etc.. same with everyone else...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty does SO alot but if he can get his SO's down this year then i will be very content with Salty and Ross being the 2 catchers. For Lavarnway going to Triple A will benefit him more by working on his overall catching skills. It will be interesting to see Butler and Lavarnway sharing the catching duties down in Pawtucket

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty does SO alot but if he can get his SO's down this year then i will be very content with Salty and Ross being the 2 catchers. For Lavarnway going to Triple A will benefit him more by working on his overall catching skills. It will be interesting to see Butler and Lavarnway sharing the catching duties down in Pawtucket

[/QUOTE]

Butler is a solid defensive catcher and could help Lav out a bit. If the Sox see Lavarnway as an everyday catcher in the future, then starting 100+ games behind the plate is the way to go. That should be done in AAA though.

Now that we have 5 catchers on the 40-man it will be interesting to see what moves are made next.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with Softy. No one seems to believe that the high SP ERA was related to Salty but it's clear. CERA doesn't lie.

Thanks Harness, wherever you are, for opening my eyes!

[/QUOTE]

Don't give Softy too much credit on the CERA thing...you have to remember how he couldn't wait to see Varitek go.  Harness, OTOH, built a great case for Varitek's CERA value. 

[/QUOTE]

Interesting how quickly Softy embraced CERA after Tek left.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with Softy. No one seems to believe that the high SP ERA was related to Salty but it's clear. CERA doesn't lie.

Thanks Harness, wherever you are, for opening my eyes!

[/QUOTE]

Don't give Softy too much credit on the CERA thing...you have to remember how he couldn't wait to see Varitek go.  Harness, OTOH, built a great case for Varitek's CERA value. 

[/QUOTE]

Interesting how quickly Softy embraced CERA after Tek left.

[/QUOTE]

Of course. It didnt help his arguement back then...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sad, Salty is clumsy butcher with an uppercut swing who will cost at least 3 to 4M for his ticket to FA. They should deal the bum now, while the can still boast about his HR total for 2012.

Now that Ross has been paid nearly double what his market value is, Ross and Lavarnway should do the catching for 2013 and 2014. They should attempt to acquire VMart or Napoli to play 1st and allow flexibility on rotating the catcher position during some of the games. Offer the Tigers 2 prospects from the farm that aren't any of the top 6 prospects (farm scraps). If they turn it down, offer Napoli 2 and base 10. If the market is more than that, simply go with Ross and Lavarnway.

Salty has mental and physical issues and is a career journeyman for a reason.

[/QUOTE]

at least he can hit a homerun once in a while. Lavarnway cannot hit and Ross is a backup at best.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty is very good at blocking balls and pitch framing. Lavarnway is the one who looks like a "lumbering clutz" IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts