Loss well deserved

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Loss well deserved

Jon was wild and the Sox offense did nothing against the Yankee pen after knocking out Colon.

No excuses folks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Loss well deserved

Agreed. Turning point was what has to be the worst at-bat of Gonzalez's career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Completely agree.  Some pretty good grabs by the outfield, but defense begins with pitching, and Lester could not rise to the challenge.  Four walks killed him because the Yankees in fact had no extra base hits. 

The hitting should have been better, but the key indicator for me was AGon's at bat with the bases loaded.  Great move by Girardi to bring in the lefty.  But Agon looked like a neophyte going down on three pitches with the third one in the dirt. 

The Yankees are hot right now, and, really the Sox are cold.  It wasn't just splitting at Fenway against the Indians, it was that it took to walkoff hits by the leadoff better to win both games by one run.  Meanwhile, the Indians plastered the Sox in games 1 and 4.  Overall, the Indians really did outplay the Sox.

And now the Yankees are doing the same thing. 

Tomorrow it's John Lackey, which should mean another win for the away team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well played game over all, by both teams. Oh yes, for $200M you canb put together a pretty good team, which the NYY have. Call it luck or brillance, Colon and Garcia have been great for them and when they lost out on Lee they put even more focus on building a solid bullpen.

I think that rivalaries just make it even harder to tip you cap to other guys when they win. We did not lose this game, they won it. They got the bases load with nobody out, we did it with 2 outs. Biggest difference perhaps in the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

WE REALLY HAVE NO RIGHT HANDED BATS TO SCARE OPPOSING
    LEFTIES. YEAH..PEDROIA IS A NICE BAT, BUT YOUKILIS IS
    SLUMPING AND MC DONALD AND SALTALAMACCHIA DON'T SCARE
    ANYONE. THE YANKS HAVE JETER, TEX, SWISHER, JONES,
    NUNEZ, AND MARTIN FROM THE RIGHT SIDE. WE HAVE
    PEDEY, DARNELL, YOUK AND AVILES. THAT'S IT, FOLKS.
    NOW YOU SEE WHY THE YANKS ARE SO POWERFUL...THEY
    HAVE POWER LEFTIES AND RIGHTIES, INCLUDING THREE BIG
    SWITCH HIT BATS....TEX,POSADA, AND SWISH. OUR SWITCH
    BATS ARE TEK AND SALTY...WHO DON'T SCARE ANYBODY.
    CASHMAN HAS BUILT A MUCH STRONGER AND MORE WELL
    BALANCED CLUB THAN THE SOX, AND THAT INCLUDES DEEP
    PITCHING WITH LOGAN, ROBERTSON, SORIANO, NOESI
    AND MARIANO. WE REALLY CAN'T MATCH THIS. IT'S TIME
    TO REALIZE THAT THEO HAS FAILED US AND THAT WE WILL
    BE ALSO RANS THIS SEASON TO THE EVIL EMPIRE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Biggest on the field execution blunder: Lester leadoff walk to the #9 hitter.

Biggest off the field blunder: Epstein thinking that his OF doesn't need a young slugging RH bat.

Red Sox should have won the game. Poor execution on #9 hitter was the tipping point.

My expectations were that 2-1 would be splendid and 1-2 would not be bad. Yankees have been hot and playing better baseball the last two weeks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from )TheBabe(. Show )TheBabe('s posts

In Response to Re: Loss well deserved:
    Biggest on the field execution blunder: Lester leadoff walk to the #9 hitter. Biggest off the field blunder: Epstein thinking that his OF doesn't need a young slugging RH bat. Red Sox should have won the game. Poor execution on #9 hitter was the tipping point. My expectations were that 2-1 would be splendid and 1-2 would not be bad. Yankees have been hot and playing better baseball the last two weeks.
    Posted by softylaw

Bunch of what if's. Yankees clearly the better team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loge-Seat-Guy. Show Loge-Seat-Guy's posts

Why did Crawford not attempt to steal in the bottom of 9th ?
    Why did Salty and Reddick not have a redlight on the 1st pitch in 9th ?
    Why was no one warming up as the game got away in the top of the 6th?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Crawford tried to steal one time, but Reddick was swinging. Pretty pitiful to pay 142M for a guy who can't steal on a RHP when it's needed the most. Oh well, 154M gets 4 OF'ers who couldn't slug well against LHP If their contracts depended upon it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Good game, very disappointing outcome.   Frown

Hopefully, we get 'em tomorrow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Lackey usually keeps his team "in the game" vs New York, so I do not put tomorrow past him.
    I thought a positive was how many pitches we made Colon burn, and he seemed to have at least his A- stuff if not A+ stuff. For some reason we usually hit Sabathia too. So I think tomorrow will be a good one, or close game at least.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

softylaw I know its been talked to death but what do you think of Justin Upton; or has that ship sailed?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Yankees are white hot with big mo. If that means that momentum is your next starting pitcher, Yankees are favorites. Confidence comes and goes with tipping points. The bases loaded embarrassing 3 pitch K on AGon followed by the leadoff walk to the NY #9 hitter was a game tipping point. Let's hope it's not a season series tipping point.

Lackey makes Burnett look like Koufax.

Red Sox will need to play good defense and put together a series of good plate appearances, making CC work harder than normal. One big extra base hit with runners on will be needed. Lackey and 5 or 6 innings and 3 or 4 runs would be better than expected. Tito needs to worry about today, not tomorrow, and have a short leash on our 16M Slackey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Let's grab some useful parts while we can claim them ahead of the Yanks...ha ha!  I agree with the post about how difficult it is to give the Yanks credit.  Great job by the Yanks bullpen (Sox too by the way), and Swisher came up big.  After the double play, I thought the Sox dodged a bullet.  It appears to be a pitching mismatch today, but CC is 0-3 vs. Sox and Lackey outdueled King Felix two weeks ago.  Either way, we are watching two playoff teams, and I do believe the Sox have a 2 game winning streak in the playoffs (remember?) at Yankee Stadium so they can beat the Yanks at their place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Crawford tried to steal one time, but Reddick was swinging. Pretty pitiful to pay 142M for a guy who can't steal on a RHP when it's needed the most. Oh well, 154M gets 4 OF'ers who couldn't slug well against LHP If their contracts depended upon it.
    Posted by softylaw

Your boy Ells has a lifetime .295avg against LHP.. which by MLB standards is VERY GOOD..Please state facts, not opinions..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Leave it to softlaw to go on an irrelevant excursion about righty outfielders.

The OP and this thread are about last night, when Colon, a righty, was the Yankees starter.  The Sox all lefty outfield had 5 hits, including Ellsbury's rbi double off the wall.  The same pitcher, Logan, who struck out AGon on three pitches with the bases loaded, gave up a double to Crawford, a Sox outfielder who when last seen was hitting from the left side. 

The Yankees pitching last night was, all things considered, superb.  And Lester, a good lefty well placed to shut down the lefty-heavy Yankees lineup, especially with A-Rod on the DL and two of their best hitters, Cano and Granderson, hitting from the left side, did manage to hold the Yankees at bay for five innings, but he collapsed ignominiously in the 6th inning. 

Speaking of righty outfielders, I wonder when softy is going to start a thread on why the Yankees need one.  Switch-hitting Swisher helps, but he is not at all what softy is talking about, and the other two, Gardner and Granderson, bat only from the left side.  

So I have to wonder about softlaw's fixation on righty outfielders when neither of the two best offenses in MLB this year has a good righty outfielder. 

Let me hasten to add that I kind of like the idea of a righty outfielder, but that does not mean they are the sine qua non for a good hitting lineup or, for that matter, a winning team.  Thus two of the best righty outfielders, Kemp of the Dodgers and Bautista of the Jays, play for teams that are completely out of it this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Biggest on the field execution blunder: Lester leadoff walk to the #9 hitter. Biggest off the field blunder: Epstein thinking that his OF doesn't need a young slugging RH bat. Red Sox should have won the game. Poor execution on #9 hitter was the tipping point. My expectations were that 2-1 would be splendid and 1-2 would not be bad. Yankees have been hot and playing better baseball the last two weeks.
    Posted by softylaw

The Yankees have two lefties on there roster and one of them pitches today. How would have helped last night. On top of that Crawford(a lefty) chased Logan(a lefty) from the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Yankees are white hot with big mo. If that means that momentum is your next starting pitcher, Yankees are favorites. Confidence comes and goes with tipping points. The bases loaded embarrassing 3 pitch K on AGon followed by the leadoff walk to the NY #9 hitter was a game tipping point. Let's hope it's not a season series tipping point. Lackey makes Burnett look like Koufax. Red Sox will need to play good defense and put together a series of good plate appearances, making CC work harder than normal. One big extra base hit with runners on will be needed. Lackey and 5 or 6 innings and 3 or 4 runs would be better than expected. Tito needs to worry about today, not tomorrow, and have a short leash on our 16M Slackey.
    Posted by softylaw

Take away April Lackey has been much better than Burnett.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from )The-Babe(. Show )The-Babe('s posts

Lackey usually keeps his team "in the game" vs New York, so I do not put tomorrow past him. I thought a positive was how many pitches we made Colon burn, and he seemed to have at least his A- stuff if not A+ stuff. For some reason we usually hit Sabathia too. So I think tomorrow will be a good one, or close game at least.
    Posted by Celtics1986

Ummmm...you do realize that lackluster has an ERA of 10.80 vs the Yanks this year.

Think much before you post?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Why did Crawford not attempt to steal in the bottom of 9th ? Why did Salty and Reddick not have a redlight on the 1st pitch in 9th ? Why was no one warming up as the game got away in the top of the 6th?
    Posted by Loge-Seat-Guy

That definately crossed my mind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from (The-Babe). Show (The-Babe)'s posts

Lackey usually keeps his team "in the game" vs New York, so I do not put tomorrow past him. I thought a positive was how many pitches we made Colon burn, and he seemed to have at least his A- stuff if not A+ stuff. For some reason we usually hit Sabathia too. So I think tomorrow will be a good one, or close game at least.
    Posted by Celtics1986

Ummmm...shelackey has a 10.80 ERA against the Yanks this year.

Think much before you post?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Leave it to softlaw to go on an irrelevant excursion about righty outfielders. The OP and this thread are about last night, when Colon, a righty, was the Yankees starter.  The Sox all lefty outfield had 5 hits, including Ellsbury's rbi double off the wall.  The same pitcher, Logan, who struck out AGon on three pitches with the bases loaded, gave up a double to Crawford, a Sox outfielder who when last seen was hitting from the left side.  The Yankees pitching last night was, all things considered, superb.  And Lester, a good lefty well placed to shut down the lefty-heavy Yankees lineup, especially with A-Rod on the DL and two of their best hitters, Cano and Granderson, hitting from the left side, did manage to hold the Yankees at bay for five innings, but he collapsed ignominiously in the 6th inning.  Speaking of righty outfielders, I wonder when softy is going to start a thread on why the Yankees need one.  Switch-hitting Swisher helps, but he is not at all what softy is talking about, and the other two, Gardner and Granderson, bat only from the left side.   So I have to wonder about softlaw's fixation on righty outfielders when neither of the two best offenses in MLB this year has a good righty outfielder.  Let me hasten to add that I kind of like the idea of a righty outfielder, but that does not mean they are the sine qua non for a good hitting lineup or, for that matter, a winning team.  Thus two of the best righty outfielders, Kemp of the Dodgers and Bautista of the Jays, play for teams that are completely out of it this year. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

All we can do is take each day as it comes.  Hopeully today will have a much better outcome and Lackey pitches a solid game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

6 walks does not equate to wins versus a very good and very hot team. Walking Nunez to lead off was horrible, Adrian's at bat was, well bery bad. Red Sox deserved to lose without question. I predicted that we would be 3-4 games out earlier in the week by Sunday night....still sticking with that. Today will be ugly for us with Lackey vs. CC. Game over. Beckett is our only shot tomorrow. We are playing horribly. Splitting with KC and Cleveland really hurt. You guys know we are capable of extended losing streaks followed by extended winning streaks, it is just the Red Sox way for years. I feel that extended losing streak coming. We are going to have a battle with the Angels or whomever for the Wild Card. Winning the AL East is a fading opportunity right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Loss well deserved:
    Jon was wild and the Sox offense did nothing against the Yankee pen after knocking out Colon. No excuses folks!
    Posted by craze4sox

Not really if we can hold that second spot all Yankee trades must go through Sox first.First or second if sox are that good we will win at the end. Only thing about home field in playoff is your uniform.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

6 walks does not equate to wins versus a very good and very hot team. Walking Nunez to lead off was horrible, Adrian's at bat was, well bery bad. Red Sox deserved to lose without question. I predicted that we would be 3-4 games out earlier in the week by Sunday night....still sticking with that. Today will be ugly for us with Lackey vs. CC. Game over. Beckett is our only shot tomorrow. We are playing horribly. Splitting with KC and Cleveland really hurt. You guys know we are capable of extended losing streaks followed by extended winning streaks, it is just the Red Sox way for years. I feel that extended losing streak coming. We are going to have a battle with the Angels or whomever for the Wild Card. Winning the AL East is a fading opportunity right now.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Well said sindarin, we didn't play the best game last night period.

Sections
Shortcuts